PDA

View Full Version : 173 for a new green Ipod Mini in the UK does anybody know of any cheaper stores?

Roba
Apr 29, 2006, 06:56 PM
I just recently bought a Mac and before this i was sure that i would not buy an Ipod.
Now i am itching to get a Ipod and i had a look around the Apple store and i don’t like the colours at all of the Ipod’s they have got out.
I have seen a green 4gb Mini and this retails for £173 in the UK. I really only want a green Ipod. Do you think that this is a good deal? I also cannot tell if it is second generation model or not.
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/51630/art/apple/ipod_mini_4gb_green.html?srcid=36#fichetechnique

Maybe if you know of any better deals where i got also get a green Ipod with warranty in the UK or possible the US if they ship to the UK then please do let me know.

Eraserhead
Apr 29, 2006, 07:23 PM
It seems likely to be a first generation mini as it comes with an AC adapter and firewire cable.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod_mini for where I got this information.)

IMHO its not a great deal as they cost £179 when they came out originally, the battery life's only 8 hours and is likely to have reduced by sitting around in a box for a while. Since this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Green-Ipod-Mini-Absolutely-perfectcondition-hardlyused_W0QQitemZ9717150149QQcategoryZ75459QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) iPod mini only went for £85 it seems a little expensive.

shadowmoses
Apr 30, 2006, 02:15 AM
Thats way too expensive, why don't you have a look on eBay i'm sure you will fins a much better deal. Saying this I would really reccomend you go for a Nano instead they are in my opinion at least a far better buy....

SHadow

FireArse
Apr 30, 2006, 02:25 AM
Second generation Mini's (with 6GB and longer battery) are very sought after! They still connect to FireWire, they're nice to hold and are thought to be better quality than the Nano's.

If I were you, due to the longer battery life (and the fact that you'd be buying second-hand) get one still in warrant (i.e. less than a year old) and if your not happy with battery, take it to Appple. Also, because you'd be in the first year still - you can opt to buy the extended warranty.

Those mini's are nice (I think the 4G iPod Photo were nicer to hold than the current 5G iPods) but if you want a good example, you'll have to look around!

IF you're in the UK, try places like John Lewis, Curry's, Dixons (although they may have got rid of them by now)

F

Roba
Apr 30, 2006, 05:47 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I will not get that one then on the site that i linked to.

I tried those stores that you listed FireArse but they are not in stock in anymore.

I will try ebay for one that accepts my payment method and is under a year old also.

I will also think about buying a Nano and getting a skin but i would have preferred to have got a green one as i think that they look better than the ones with a skin.

I think that it would be great if Apple started to make Ipod's again in different colours because there are others like me i am sure who would like to purchase an Ipod in the colour of their choice.

theknowles
Apr 30, 2006, 06:52 AM
wayyyyyy to expencive, i sold my green ipod mini for 70 quid and origonally bought it for 100. I bought my ipod video for 190 quid so 175 is a complete rip off

Roba
Apr 30, 2006, 08:11 AM
The Pixmania website has got really strange pricing because i just found a 6gb on there for £163 brand new which is cheaper than the 4gb one. Maybe i will give them a call and see if their pricing is correct.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/90992/art/apple/ipod-mini-6gb-green.html

MacBoobsPro
Apr 30, 2006, 08:24 AM
The Pixmania website has got really strange pricing because i just found a 6gb on there for 163 brand new which is cheaper than the 4gb one. Maybe i will give them a call and see if their pricing is correct.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/90992/art/apple/ipod-mini-6gb-green.html

Wait and see if the redesigned Nano comes in various colours in Autumn. If the MacBook is coming in different flavours why not the Nano. Then you will have a colour screen, better cacpacity, better battery, photo ability and it will probably cost less than the Mini you found!

Roba
May 2, 2006, 09:20 AM
Thank you i think that i am going to wait now.

I was following a 6GB green mini ipod on ebay yesterday and that went for nearly £140 and the seller couldn't even tell me if it was under a year old or not so i thought forget it.

I was going to order the 6GB from the Pixmania website because the 6GB one has good battery life and watching videos or taking photos with it is not a priority for me. However, i have read some negative reviews about the Pixmania customer support that has kind of put me of ordering from their website.

I think that i will wait a bit and at least see what will happen later on in the year.

Wait and see if the redesigned Nano comes in various colours in Autumn. If the MacBook is coming in different flavours why not the Nano. Then you will have a colour screen, better cacpacity, better battery, photo ability and it will probably cost less than the Mini you found!

thequicksilver
May 8, 2006, 05:42 PM
I know you've stated green, so this might just be a FWIW bit of information, but:

Apple are selling 4GB minis in blue, silver and pink for £87.50 on their refurb site (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore?family=Certified). Keep an eye out for green ones, they might pop up one day.

Roba
May 11, 2006, 08:09 PM
I caved in waiting and bought myself a 6GB green Ipod Mini on ebay yesterday. I bought the Ipod for £122. I just grew tired of waiting and all this speculation. I am sure that this Ipod will serve me well. I just hope that this is just not a con and i hope that is as the auction described.
I just look forward to receiving it now.
I would have never have known what to look out for if it was not for some of the advice that i received on this thread.

My gut feeling is that Apple will not return to colour Ipods but i guess we will just have to wait and see.