PDA

View Full Version : Mega cheap MP3 rolls out of Japan

MacBytes
Apr 30, 2006, 06:29 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Mega cheap MP3 rolls out of Japan (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060430192947)
Description:: A Japanese company has begun selling a cut-price MP3 digital music player for just 999 yen - about $13.50 - and experts say it could be the first of many.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Keynoteuser
Apr 30, 2006, 07:53 PM
"As with an Apple iPod shuffle, users are not able to program the order in which songs are played."

Um, can't you set the order in iTunes to any order you want? If they're talking about the fact that you can't do it ON the unit, you can't really do that easily on the big iPod except to create on the go playlists.

razzmatazz
Apr 30, 2006, 08:34 PM
"As with an Apple iPod shuffle, users are not able to program the order in which songs are played."

Um, can't you set the order in iTunes to any order you want? If they're talking about the fact that you can't do it ON the unit, you can't really do that easily on the big iPod except to create on the go playlists.

Yea I can rearrange the order of my songs on my iPod Shuffle through iTunes but I don't I just shuffle them

CallmeKenneth
May 1, 2006, 05:49 AM
Hardly a threat to the iPod. That thing sounds like the ultimate bargain basement piece of crud and you get what you pay for.

generik
May 1, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hardly a threat to the iPod. That thing sounds like the ultimate bargain basement piece of crud and you get what you pay for.

You sound like a typical american basing purchase decisions solely on pricing as a surrogate indicator and will ignore blatent value staring at you in the face. Guess what? It is people like you for whom the future generations will be paying off the debt for... or perhaps there won't be any future generations when the Chinese nukes finally eradicate the race :P

CallmeKenneth
May 1, 2006, 07:12 AM
You sound like a typical american basing purchase decisions solely on pricing as a surrogate indicator and will ignore blatent value staring at you in the face. Guess what? It is people like you for whom the future generations will be paying off the debt for... or perhaps there won't be any future generations when the Chinese nukes finally eradicate the race :P

First off, I am not an American, but I take your point. Let me explain myself further. There are two issues here - value and quality. Apple products are are a good illustration - they are slightly more expensive than their PC counterparts but are also good quality. Add in the usefulness of all of the 'extras' - iLife etc. and buying a Mac (to me, anyway) actually represents good value for money. I don't necessarily base my purchase decisions on the price.

I was probably being a bit flippant when I derided the cheap mp3 players, because you can't really make a judgement about an piece of technology until you actually use it. I was making an assumption based on my own experience - cheap mp3 players pale into comparison when you put them up against the iPod (which, again like most Apple products, I think represents excellent value for money). They are made from cheap plastic, have a lousy interface and tend to have poor compatibility. I am willing to be proved wrong, but I am basing this on my own experience.

As for the Chinese nuking everyone - what was that all about? I'd say it's more likely to be the Iranians, but there you go....:rolleyes:

steve_hill4
May 1, 2006, 12:44 PM
These are already available aren't they? I know Tesco in the UK were selling 256MB mp3 players for 9.99, (about $17), at Christmas.

People merely see mp3 and the cheap price and are satisfied with their purchase. I say good luck to them. Nothing wrong really with them as such.

Fiveos22
May 1, 2006, 02:25 PM
One AAA battery gets 5 hours of play time...?

Well, I use my iPod nano an average 4 times a week for 9 hours each time (36 hours of play time per week). If I did this for 50 weeks out of the year (1800 hours per year) this mp3 player would cost me $247.28 every year (360 triple A batteries, bought from Walgreens (http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100393&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku1160508&id=prod1160518)). And that's not even including tax.

In summation I don't think this is a very economical product.

CanadaRAM
May 1, 2006, 02:34 PM
One AAA battery gets 5 hours of play time...(36 hours of play time per week). If I did this for 50 weeks out of the year (1800 hours per year) this mp3 player would cost me $247.28 every year (360 triple A batteries)
That's what NiMH rechargeables are for. Buying disposable batteries borders on the criminally negligent.

$25 for a charger and set of 4 battteries you charge overnight in rotation.

Fiveos22
May 1, 2006, 07:56 PM
That's what NiMH rechargeables are for. Buying disposable batteries borders on the criminally negligent.

$25 for a charger and set of 4 battteries you charge overnight in rotation.

That's still ~$30, which is, according to this report, a little over 2X the price of the player. Makes me want to go out and buy ink for my printer.

nagromme
May 2, 2006, 01:44 AM
Cheap players end up in a drawer... but they may whet the appetite for a real, easy-to-use, quality player experience.

toontra
May 2, 2006, 02:52 AM
There are many Mac fanatics who seem to distrust, and even rail against, competition when it starts undercutting prices on principle as a knee-jerk reaction when these news items appear.

I've never understood this - what can be the possible downside of this? It seems to me that there must be a minority who actually like paying the higher Apple prices for whatever reason (snobbery, braggery?).

If people are confident about the quality & superiority of Apple products and therefore feel the "premium" price-tag is justified, why should they feel threatened by the competition & therefore the need to knock it? As I say, I simply don't understand it.

As for batteries, I haven't used anything but rechargeables for many years. It wouldn't even dawn on me to use non-rechargeables, other than in an emergency.

CallmeKenneth
May 2, 2006, 05:56 AM
If people are confident about the quality & superiority of Apple products and therefore feel the "premium" price-tag is justified, why should they feel threatened by the competition & therefore the need to knock it? As I say, I simply don't understand it.

I actually think there's nothing wrong with healthy competition. After all, without it, Apple products would most likely cost more and be less enjoyable to use.

But if someone wanted my opinion on whether to buy an iPod or a cheapie mp3 player I would recommend the former without question. I wouldn't care if they took my advice or not, just a long as they at least listened!:)

CallmeKenneth
May 2, 2006, 05:56 AM

I actually think there's nothing wrong with healthy competition. After all, without it, Apple products would most likely cost more and be less enjoyable to use.

But if someone wanted my opinion on whether to buy an iPod or a cheapie mp3 player I would recommend the former without question. I wouldn't care if they took my advice or not, just a long as they at least listened! :)