PDA

View Full Version : Nano vs. 30GB Day to Day

idkfa
Apr 30, 2006, 06:45 PM
I just wanted to know some of your experiences with both the iPod nano and the 5G iPod 30GB. I am looking for something that I can bring to the gym that would not interfer with my workout: Running, cardio machines, and weights are what I usually do. I know that the nano would definitely fit this requirement to a tee, but I am not sure if I should spend that much money on it (I would get the 4GB model, which does not seem overly economical...). The 30GB is only $70 CND more, plus video capability, and it looks so much nicer!!!!

This may seem like an odd question, but I was just wondering how noticeable or cumbursome the iPod 30GB is. This is not just for the gym; day to day use would also be a factor. Any opinions or comments would be awesome.

Cheers.

BurtonCCC
Apr 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
I found that the video coolness wore off after a little while, which is why I'm selling my 60GB for a 4GB nano for just my favorite songs. I miss being able to put it on shuffle too. When I shuffle the 60GB, I get a ton of songs I've never even heard of.

Daniel.

P.S. My 60GB still has the factory plastic on the screen and unopened headphones and all other original stuff with box for $350 USD with the best case on the market. Just in case you decide to go with the viPod. Think of me. :)

MattyMac
Apr 30, 2006, 09:39 PM
I have a 20gb 4g and I just bought a 1gb nano yesterday because of the size of it. It seems to be so much more convenient. Plus I can agree with Burton about having songs Ive never heard of coming up on the bigger ipod when it is on shuffle. Maybe you should just buy a smaller sized nano instead of the 4gb because the 4gb nano is too close in price to the video ipod. When comparing the two, I would go with the 30gb video because of the small price difference. I actually bought my nano at an apple store and was looking at the 30gb video and the size doesnt seem that bad. Yeah...so if you are deciding between a 4gb nano or a 30gb video I would probably go with the video. But if you can get by with say a 1gb nano, go for that. That's just my opinion. Im sure you'll make a good decision!

iShane
Apr 30, 2006, 09:48 PM
I would have to say I like the Video iPod more. its wider and thicker than the nano of course but I love mine and I use it everyday.

dukebound85
Apr 30, 2006, 09:58 PM
I am looking for something that I can bring to the gym that would not interfer with my workout: Running, cardio machines, and weights are what I usually do.
Cheers.

Haha I think thats pretty much all most gyms even offer

luckylisp
Apr 30, 2006, 11:00 PM
The nano is probably better for heavy duty working out and running, but if it was me I would still probably go with the 30gb video ipod. I love mine and far prefer having the extra space, plus, of course, it's a better deal for your money, as you mentioned. It's quite slim and light too. For weight lifting/working out you'd definitely need a good case with a belt clip like the DLO Action Jacket. An armband holder won't work for weight lifting. I guess my only concern might be running with the video iPod because of the hard drive. I don't know how much the jarring might possibly affect the hard drive long term. One thing, I wouldn't let the video element sway you or be your deciding factor. It's cool at first, but it's mainly a music player and that's likely what you'll end up using it for the most.

Shamus
May 1, 2006, 01:27 AM
I havent owned either iPods, but I think the Nano would be best for me on a daily basis, because I dont have that much music. I 6GB Nano would be ideal though.

adk
May 1, 2006, 01:53 AM
remember that the 30gig has a spinning hard drive while the nano does not. I don't know if there's any documentation of ipods skipping, but you'd have no chance with a nano.

mulletman13
May 1, 2006, 02:15 AM
I"m considering the same thing... I think my 30gb is overkill, since I only listen to maybe 10% of my music?

although I just picked up a 512mb shuffle for the gym now :)

GnarleyMarley
May 1, 2006, 02:59 AM
I just gave my 30gb video to my mom and picked up a new 2gb nano off ebay for $160. Not many people can listen to 30gb of music on a regular basis. I think a 2gb or 4gb, hell even a 1gb should suffice. Just toss your favorite choons on there, hit shuffle, and enjoy.:cool:

idkfa
May 1, 2006, 04:43 AM
Haha I think thats pretty much all most gyms even offer

Haha!! You are wrong!

I guess you have never heard of our local airplane pulling and baby tossing tourneys!!! Feel the burn... :p

Joking, Joking.

I plan to pick up an external hd with the money from this paycheck, so I have two more weeks to decide about the iPod... :)

Maxiseller
May 1, 2006, 05:17 AM
Yeh, I'll go along with others:

If you're going to the gym you certainly don't want a 30G with you- they're just that bit too clumsy if you're doing exercise, whereas a nano can even slip inside some gym shorts unnoticed.

zv470
May 1, 2006, 10:36 AM
Perhaps the next nanos will play video? :)

grockk
May 1, 2006, 10:49 AM
buy both!

I bought a 5G 60GB when they first came out and I love being able to call up any song I own (all 53GB!). and now I sprung for a 2GB nano refurb from the apple website. so I'll have the convenience of a nano for running, etc. and the storage of a 5G!

backupdrummer
May 1, 2006, 11:10 AM

That is exactly what i am counting on.

I have an old 3G that is 40 gigs and i use it as a backup flash drive for my home driectory. You can load it with only certain songs if you like so that shuffle doesn't give you a rage against the machine followed by Raffi. With that said I am looking at my next iPod being a nano with video. I plan on only watching a few things on it and using it for music the other 95% of the time.

I do see the value in having a higher capacity for use as a slick portable firewire drive also USB 2.0 can now be used to make a boot drive so that is a nother valueable thing ot have.

mox358
May 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
I would definitely get the nano if you plan on using it at the gym. I have a 60gb 5G video and while I love it, I don't exercise with it and from using it daily I would think it would be very clumsy in a gym.

Look at it this way - with the nano you're not paying for the storage; you're paying for the form factor. That's why the price difference is so little between the high end nano and low end video. I've thought about getting a nano to compliment my video for short trips and things, but thus far I haven't been able to part with carrying my 41GB of music with me everywhere :D

But you should definitely go nano... it seems perfect for the requirements you have.

I do have to disagree with BurtonCCC - I love the video feature and I've gotten to the point where I store all kinds of video content on my iPod and actually watch it quite frequently.

m-dogg
May 1, 2006, 11:36 AM
Buy the 30GB and then pick up a used/refurb 512MB shuffle - It's a great combo (I have it). The shuffle is even smaller & lighter than the nano. And it can take a beating - No screen to get scratched up. Load it up with a good workout mix and go! I use the shuffle solely for sports/excersise, and the 30GB for everything else.

I say used on the shuffle because it isn't something you need to/should baby, so if it has a blemish who cares!

BurtonCCC
May 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
If you want to watch video on a screen the size of a postage stamp, be my guest. :rolleyes:

Daniel.

GimmeSlack12
May 1, 2006, 01:03 PM
An issue I had with taking my iPod to the gym was where to put it. I had an armstrap but it restricted my bicep when lifting (very bothersome). And in my pocket in my Adidas warmups it tended to weigh just a little too much.

Mind you I have a 1G 5gb iPod, and it is heavier than the current revisions. It isn't a bad idea to think of a 512mb Shuffle for Gym use and a 30gb iPod for day to day. I think Nano's are sweet, but not worth the money if the regular iPod is not much more.

apunkrockmonk
May 1, 2006, 01:09 PM
I have a 40gb 4th gen iPod. When nanos first came out I bought the 4gb...

I went back to the 40gb iPod in less then a month.

Go for the bigger iPod.

zephead
May 1, 2006, 02:30 PM
I had a 4gb mini for a while before the nanos came out, and even though I didn't have enough songs to fill up my iPod, I still wanted to use it for storage so I left off songs to get storage. Well, I got a 30gb video iPod for my birthday and I wouldn't trade it for a nano because I have all my stuff backed up on it because my comp. HD is only 20gb. So it's nice having an external HD that also happens to be an iPod. :D

Vinnie_vw
May 1, 2006, 02:55 PM
Depends how deep you go into your music. If you like listening to an artist over and over, and don't mind plugging it in to change tracks, go for the Nano. If you have a shorter attention-span, or are lazy, go for the HD-iPod. Personally I run with my photo-ipod every day and have no complaints about it's size or skipping. Since I also download a lot of podcasts, which take up around 10 gigs, a nano would be to small for me also.

zv470
May 2, 2006, 09:31 AM
If you want to watch video on a screen the size of a postage stamp, be my guest. :rolleyes:

Daniel.

would be ok if: they use a 2.35:1 screen rotated 90 degrees. :)

Artful Dodger
May 2, 2006, 11:27 AM
Hello, for my day to day use I bought the 1GB Nano. Also for backing-up my iTunes I really only backup my songs that I've bought from iTunes since most other music is from my cds so why take more space on things like that. The only reason I'd go bigger is to store photos from my camera when I'm out this way I never run out of room on my SD card(s).
Sure video is nice when your going to travel but on all the trips I've had, someone always brings a laptop or dvd player for the car ride. I guess my needs are different than some but like you said if it's only $70 difference and you can afford that then it does make it a hard choice.

Ish
May 4, 2006, 11:40 AM
How do you plan on carrying it around? I like to have mine in my pocket but found the 30GB too big when I wanted to bend down so swapped it and got a black 4GB nano and fitted it with an invisible shield. I find it's a perfect size. I have a lanyard too but I'd be a bit careful when using that as I knocked the nano off the lanyard and onto the floor when I jumped up to answer the phone. No harm done though.

timerollson
May 4, 2006, 12:05 PM
I currently have a black 5G 30GB iPod, but I'm going to buy a nano for day to day use. I find the 30GB convenient for long rides, but I love the size of the nano.

blaster_boy
May 4, 2006, 03:21 PM
Maybe I'm the strange one out, but I just upgraded from a 1Gb shuffle to a nano 4GB Ipod, and while my music collection is about 5 or 6 GB, in practice I don't want to hear everything all the time.
I don't even use the 4Gb for now.

30 or 60 Gb is definitely overkill for me - I wouldn't know what to listen for first.

If you don't want the video, I would go for the nano 4 GB. More than enough to have some variety, plus you get to choose what you want to hear, which is damn hard to do on even a 1Gb shuffle.

A.