Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordanfolds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
Hey,

My powerbook is about 8 months old and has been kept in pristine condition, but for some reason it doesn't lay flat on all surfaces and I really can't figure out why not. It shows no sign of warping, and has all of the rubber feet on it.

Thanks

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
jordanfolds said:
it doesn't lay flat on all surfaces and I really can't figure out why not. It shows no sign of warping, and has all of the rubber feet on it.
Thanks

If it's flat on some surfaces but not others are you ready to consider that it might just be the surface and not the computer? :p

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Mine doesn't either and it's brand new -- not much you can do about it. It probably won't rock back and forth when the lid is open.

The aluminum surface causes some slight warping and bending and it just makes it not sit perfectly. if you just kind of press the raised corner + the opposite one down at the same time a little, it should stop it for a while.

jordanfolds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah, I think it is a little bit of the surface + a little bit of my pb. Either way it kinda stinks, but oh well. Thanks

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, it's frustrating. You should find that if you just move it around a few inches in any direction, it should sit level. Who knows why.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
The PowerBooks warp, mainly when they get hot and you have them on a strange surface, such as your lap. Like a guy said, just press down on the corners sticking up, especially when your computer is hot.

Daniel.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Mine has never sat level either, but if I rotate it a little suddenly it does sit level. I really can't figure out how that works. It's like the surface is only flat at 90 degree intervals, and slowly goes un'flat as your rotate between those angles. Curious!

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
wheezy said:
Mine has never sat level either, but if I rotate it a little suddenly it does sit level. I really can't figure out how that works. It's like the surface is only flat at 90 degree intervals, and slowly goes un'flat as your rotate between those angles. Curious!
"Unflat." That is why I love America. Thank you sir.

Daniel.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
MovieCutter said:
Is there anything else we can complain about???

There was no reason for that response. That's a very reasonable concern -- a physical defect in hardware.

However, as everyone else has said, there's no need to worry - this is normal due to the aluminum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.