PDA

View Full Version : Napster free (again)

MacBytes
May 1, 2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Napster free (again) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060501194152)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Kingsly
May 1, 2006, 07:03 PM
Whooppie! I can listen to a song five whole times!! :rolleyes:

nbs2
May 1, 2006, 07:10 PM
I ain't going to complain about this. I guess it may work as a hook, but I imagine a lot of people are going to rip music, this time for free instead of the subscription cost. I, for one, may use this to test out albums that I'm not sure of. Then, I'll go to iTunes and buy it.

EDIT: I just went and signed up for an account. I figured I would test it out. Signing up was painless. Give them my spam account information and off I went. I thought - "let's see if they have the Peppers!" They don't. That isn't too bad, since iTMS just got them. So, I figured they should have the Offspring. iTMS has had them for a whole. Apparently not the entire Napster catalog is available for "free." You can still only listen to the 30 sec preview. So, you can only choose some of the titles, as has been selected by the powers that be, to listen to five times. I imagine it will be the more popular songs, as they will generate higher ad revenue and in our "play it until it makes you throw up in your mouth" culture, the five plays will get burnt fast - leading to drug like purchases.

ClarkeB
May 1, 2006, 07:42 PM
Still doesn't work with Macs...

zap2
May 1, 2006, 07:44 PM
5 times that so stupid! god people would we like to kill music anymore!

nbs2
May 1, 2006, 07:52 PM
Still doesn't work with Macs...
Huh? It works on my PB...(see above)

nagromme
May 1, 2006, 08:12 PM
AND the quality is lower unless you pay?

Sounds like a rather annoying form of free teaser/ad... but I have no objection to them giving it a shot.

Analog Kid
May 1, 2006, 10:27 PM
Death Throes? I wonder how much the labels charge for 5 free plays, and if the ads make up for it. The "oh please, oh please advertise with Napster-- we have a cool name" segment at the end of the press release has me wondering.

nbs2, how do the ads work? Flashy, in-your-face web ads? Audio between songs? Can you use this while you're doing anything else?

If they do it right, and they're not losing too much per song, then this might not be a bad niche to take. 5 play limit is going to get on some peoples nerves pretty fast though...

wmmk
May 1, 2006, 10:34 PM
i bet somebody will just use audio hijack, stick the songs on th iPod, and listen 'til their heatr's content.

the labels are not gonna like that.

qtip919
May 2, 2006, 06:11 PM
Personally, I think I will use this quite a bit. I have been trying alot of different artists lately, and exploring which song to buy off of some of their albums is difficult with only 30seconds for which to evaluate the song.

For example, this song from the Drive By Truckers "Danko", is phenomenal...however, the 30sec clip made it sound sooo boring...even though the song is basically true to the 30 sec clip, I would have never bought it had I not listened to it in it's entirety.

However, this still doesnt do what I want, which is:

Allow my to purchase songs as I listen to them on internet radio (I love, love KEXP is seattle)

All I get is these crappy links from their playlists...I want to buy them from within iTunes!!!

ITASOR
May 2, 2006, 06:22 PM
What the heck? Go on WindowsMedia.com and you can listen to pretty much any song free.

gman71882
May 3, 2006, 12:16 AM
interesting idea. I'm sure someone with find a way to rip the songs off the online player or all you have to do is pipe the music through a recorder and copy the songs.
AS FOR THE PAID SERVICE
HAHA nothing like renting your music for $120 a year. I maybe buy a song a week from itunes, and that still feels like alot!!!

gman71882
May 3, 2006, 12:19 AM
Personally, I think I will use this quite a bit. I have been trying alot of different artists lately, and exploring which song to buy off of some of their albums is difficult with only 30seconds for which to evaluate the song.

Try this site:
Pandora.com
(http://pandora.com/)put in a few artists that you like and it does the work for you!!!

REALLY GREAT SITE!!!!

nbs2
May 3, 2006, 10:41 AM
nbs2, how do the ads work? Flashy, in-your-face web ads? Audio between songs? Can you use this while you're doing anything else?
The interface isn't horrible. You get a popup window that has an ad on the right and our song info on the left. I tried to tke a screen shot, but it takes a long time to load an album. A really long time. I almost thought it froze, but about 3 minutes later, it opened the ad. So, I know that it will load eventually. You can use it while doing other things, but you have to go to that page to change tracks, etc. You need to keep napster open as well, otherwise you are pretty stuck.

Well, at least the ads aren't flashy.

OK - the thing finally finished loading. Here is the screenshot. Personally, I don't think iTunes is in trouble. :D

shamino
May 3, 2006, 11:26 AM
Not the full catalog, and only 5 plays? Well, this won't replace other services, but if I don't have to pay for it, it may still be useful.

With something like this, I can truly implement a try-before-buy policy. I can stream an album for free. Then I can decide if I want to ignore it, buy a track or two from ITMS, or buy the whole CD. A lot nicer than the 30-second samples you normally get from music stores.

steve_hill4
May 3, 2006, 06:52 PM
Shame it's restricted to the US, previewing an album appeals to me quite a bit.