Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Hello all!

I've ordered an education Dual 1.42 and think I have a great deal. I've already got a superdrive, so I went Combo, and no bluetooth, and down to a GeForce4MX (not a gamer). It worked out only £86/$120 more than the stock Dual 1.25. I know this is a great deal.

However, I'm moving from a G4 500 and am worried that the new machine will be the same, only obviously faster. Yes, I do video, yes I do DVD and photoshop, but I'm worried I shouldn't wait til there's a PowerMac that really does something different, not just faster. Only, I can't for the life of me think what that 'different' might be!!

So please, post your thoughts on my purchase, and what you think might be a feature in the future that leaves this thing in the dust! I was holding out for the Power4 but I wouldn't get a Rev.1 anyway.

Cheers people!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Help me justify my Dual 1.42 purchase

Originally posted by gotohamish
Hello all!

I've ordered an education Dual 1.42 and think I have a great deal. I've already got a superdrive, so I went Combo, and no bluetooth, and down to a GeForce4MX (not a gamer). It worked out only £86/$120 more than the stock Dual 1.25. I know this is a great deal.

However, I'm moving from a G4 500 and am worried that the new machine will be the same, only obviously faster. Yes, I do video, yes I do DVD and photoshop, but I'm worried I shouldn't wait til there's a PowerMac that really does something different, not just faster. Only, I can't for the life of me think what that 'different' might be!!

So please, post your thoughts on my purchase, and what you think might be a feature in the future that leaves this thing in the dust! I was holding out for the Power4 but I wouldn't get a Rev.1 anyway.

Cheers people!
If you do video, why did you leave out the SuperDrive? The new one is faster. Writes DVDs at 4x.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Re: Re: Help me justify my Dual 1.42 purchase

Originally posted by Bear

If you do video, why did you leave out the SuperDrive? The new one is faster. Writes DVDs at 4x.

Well they said they already have a superdrive if you read above. I would say, don't worry about it, I would imagine the 1.42 will be SMOKING! I think the speed will keep you happy, you do have the fastest mac ever built, just remember that!

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
It is up to YOU to 'think different'. It's all about YOUR creativity. Add a little something "different" in your next video and then you too, will think different.

As far as Mac is concerned, I would say that its the way the computers are designed. If IBM was the only one, we would still have a rectangular BEIGE shaped PC on our desk... nothing but a bunch of stiffs in their design department. THINK DIFFERENT.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by grimmace
It is up to YOU to 'think different'. It's all about YOUR creativity. Add a little something "different" in your next video and then you too, will think different.

As far as Mac is concerned, I would say that its the way the computers are designed. If IBM was the only one, we would still have a rectangular BEIGE shaped PC on our desk... nothing but a bunch of stiffs in their design department. THINK DIFFERENT.

Thanks, but how is this relavant to my question?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You're going to find out that you're more productive if you're doing video. The rendering times will be significantly reduced. In general the machine will be much more snappy, congrats.

Don't worry about what's going to come out tomorrow, just get working on your stuff now.

D

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by gotohamish

Thanks, but how is this relavant to my question?

Well, I see no "?" question mark in your statements. You did say that you cant figure out the "think different" campaign. To justify your purchase, i would say that their is more difference in the new Mac. The design is a bit different and I am sure that the cooling is different. Airport extreme is probably on it, which is better. Unfotunately Apple doesn't just make upgrades and screws us by making us buy a whole new computer. If I bought the 800Mhz Imac, i woul be extremely pissed off right now. The computer is the same, only the processor and airport are differnent. THAT SHOULD BE AN UPGRADE! This will be apple's demise. They will have to cry to Bill Gates again in another 5 years.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
correct me if Im wrong... but cant you buy upgrades from 3rd store companies. Just like you would for pc's. Like you can upgrade graphics, ram, hard drive, and I think I heard people upgrading thier processors too. But as for airport extreme I dont think thiers a way to upgrade an older computer with it but Im not to sure.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by synthetickittie
correct me if Im wrong... but cant you buy upgrades from 3rd store companies. Just like you would for pc's. Like you can upgrade graphics, ram, hard drive, and I think I heard people upgrading thier processors too. But as for airport extreme I dont think thiers a way to upgrade an older computer with it but Im not to sure.

HA! show me.. Show me where I can purchase a G4 processor at 1GHZ from a 800mhz or 500mhz. Even if i need both the motherboard and processor, I would do it. They dont sell this stuff as upgrades. You have to purchase a new machine. I'll be happy to see that I can purchase an upgrade. I see no 3rd party place to purchase this and even if, third party stuff never is truly compatible.

RAM, yes, you can purchase ram. A processor? I have yet to see it.

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston

HA! show me.. Show me where I can purchase a G4 processor at 1GHZ from a 800mhz or 500mhz. Even if i need both the motherboard and processor, I would do it. They dont sell this stuff as upgrades. You have to purchase a new machine. I'll be happy to see that I can purchase an upgrade. I see no 3rd party place to purchase this and even if, third party stuff never is truly compatible.

OK, I HAVE BEEN OUT TO LUNCH!! Before I get stomped on, I see that I can purchase this stuff. Well, this is good news. I wont have tp purchase a new machine for a upgrade. I'm off this thread! :eek:

grimmace

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by synthetickittie

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
You will be very much happy with the new Dual 1.42GHz in my opinion. :)

You will now have all that spare time to be creative, not pensive about when is this render going to finish. :rolleyes:

I would buy a DVD burner for it when the 6x or 8x comes out in a few months (just a guess). ;)

There is no need to do something "different" just do it better. :D

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
I invite you to build your own G4:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/macintosh/story/0,24330,3411914,00.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.