PDA

View Full Version : Growing iPod Owners Cause Transmitter interruption?

MacEffects
May 2, 2006, 05:28 AM
Ok, I have a XTREMEMAC AirPlay FM Transmitter for iPod shuffle, and use it in my Car... But lately I have noticed when passing other vehicles sometimes if they have an iPod or other device, it plays there stuff for a short time... I know this because it is a blank frequency. While this may be a small inconvenience and I am not worried about it but, I got thinking what if more and more people keep buying these, will none work at all because of major interruption or should we all go back to Cassette tapes :p

Any thoughts on this?

grockk
May 2, 2006, 09:43 AM
Those FM transmitters suck. I'd gladly go back to cassettes if i had a deck in my car. I've always considered quality like CD>Analog Line-In>Cassette>FM Transmitter.

The only thing the transmitter has going for it is that it's cheap and easy.

stoid
May 2, 2006, 09:55 AM
You mean to say that the growing number of iPod users is causing transmitter interruption. When I first saw the title of the thread I thought that it was about people getting fatter and their additional body mass somehow interfering with the FM transmitters. :D

Anyway, I agree, I've run the gamut of FM transmitters and found that they all suck. Since I didn't have a tape deck in my car, and none of the AUX adapters worked with my factory head unit I wound up putting in a new head unit in with an auxiliary jack directly on the front of the unit.

mkrishnan
May 2, 2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I've had iTrip disruptions sometimes in the city when pulling up next to another car....I hope that car makers continue to offer solutions that don't need iTrips. I thought I heard a statistic somewhere that, within the next few years, the majority of new cars will somehow accommodate digital music players (e.g. either explicit iPod integration, or 1/8" jacks, or whatever)

dejo
May 2, 2006, 10:16 AM
Those FM transmitters suck. I'd gladly go back to cassettes if i had a deck in my car. I've always considered quality like CD>Analog Line-In>Cassette>FM Transmitter.

The only thing the transmitter has going for it is that it's cheap and easy.

You missed the FM Modulator, which is what I have in my Jeep. Where would that fit in your list of diminishing returns?

It's not necessarily cheap and not easy to install, but once it's setup it work's great! It hooks into my antenna setup and I have a switch on my dash that turns on the modulator, and thus turning off any signals being picked up by the antenna.