Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After briefly becoming more valuable than Dell on January 13, 2006, Apple is once again more valuable than Dell. As of last night's close, Apple Computer, Inc. is worth $60,166,590,800 in market value vs. Dell's $60,061,881,440 according to MacDailyNews.

This NASDAQ's website shows an up-to-date comparison of the two companies including respective market values.

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
that's great news, but taken with a grain of salt, I would say that Apple is at a high and Dell at a low. Do you think Apple or Dell has more room to go up?
Do you think Appel or Dell has more room to go down?

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
fuzzwud said:
that's great news, but taken with a grain of salt, I would say that Apple is at a high and Dell at a low. Do you think Apple or Dell has more room to go up?
Do you think Appel or Dell has more room to go down?

This is an interesting point with some validity but...I still think Apple has more room to go up, due to its innovation. It's in a low point at the moment, in terms of Macs, anyway, as its in the middle of a major transition and buyers are hesitant. After the Intel transition is complete, and with "the most amazing product pipeline Steve has ever seen", I believe that Apple has more room, not Dell.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
While it's true that "Mr Market" is currently valuing Apple higher than Dell, Dell generates a lot more revenue.

EricNau said:
But this does tell me one thing... Apple can afford to lower their prices a little.
How are Apple's price points and the stock market's valuation of Apple related like that?? I don't get what you're seeing here.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
WTF! Who voted negative & why? You must explain yourself, and very well at that!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
adamcz said:
While it's true that "Mr Market" is currently valuing Apple higher than Dell, Dell generates a lot more revenue.

How are Apple's price points and the stock market's valuation of Apple related like that?? I don't get what you're seeing here.
Ya, I was a little off. I should read the entire post before I open my big mouth next time. :eek:

But I think the two are related in a smaller, less significant way. More money should still mean they can afford to charge less, right? :confused:

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I got it. I now have figured out that the Demi-Gods and Mediators have put up this thread simply to proove the fact that no matter what news that should all be positive, their a amongst us those that have signed up & watch this site to simply vote negative on everything! I SEE YOU MICHEAL DELL!!!

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
But I think the two are related in a smaller, less significant way. More money should still mean they can afford to charge less, right?
No. When Apple's stock price goes up, it does not mean that Apple the company gets more money. It means that Apple shareholders could sell for a profit. Keeping computer prices (and therefore profits) high is how Apple the company makes money.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Nice, too bad its the iPod that did it and not mac sales.
adamcz said:
No. When Apple's stock price goes up, it does not mean that Apple the company gets more money. It means that Apple shareholders could sell for a profit. Keeping computer prices (and therefore profits) high is how Apple the company makes money.
Right... Suppose for one min it was the iPod which is up 61% year over year last quarter.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Get over it

Are we going to report this everytime the stock fluctuates? Why is this even news again? Get over it.

Sirin

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
drewyboy said:
WTF! Who voted negative & why? You must explain yourself, and very well at that!

Three people:

bill-gates.jpg
ballmer.jpg
dell.jpg

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Object-X said:
Are we going to report this everytime the stock fluctuates? Why is this even news again? Get over it.
And what about the P/E ratio :rolleyes:

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Object-X said:

Last time I checked, this was only the second time in history that the market has "fluctuated" to put Apple ahead of Dell upon closing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.