Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vote for May's photo assignment

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Although the relationship topic sounds good, I would feel akward and stalkerish if I decided to do it on human relationships. I guess it would just take somthing thinking on my part to come up with something a bit more thoughtfull.

I really like the edges topic :), and water could promote some wonderful photos

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I'm struggling on what to choose here. I'm going to be in Italy for the second half of this month on holiday.

So relaxing might work well since there are beaches, water would work since I'm on an island for part of it and there are multiple fountains in Rome, as a lovers' city, Rome might also work for relationships whether of people or of architecture and there are flowers most places... Hmm... decisions!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
MacMosher said:
Although the relationship topic sounds good, I would feel akward and stalkerish if I decided to do it on human relationships.

There are plenty of human relationships that have nothing to do with romance. Just people interacting. It'll be fun, I promise! Vote for it! :D

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
WooWoo! Relationships! You may need model release forms, not sure, but who cares, take pictures of people you know rather than random people, itll be fun, we can have humans in pictures *GASP*!

Also, without offering to be anybodys muse, relationships do not have to be human, they could be animals, or infact anything, there is a relationship between two magnets...

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
tektonnic said:
Also, without offering to be anybodys muse, relationships do not have to be human, they could be animals, or infact anything, there is a relationship between two magnets...

Yep - interpretation of the topic could be broad, but previous discussions have included the question why assignment topics have tended not to have people as the subject - so with "relationships" it seems that there could be a perceived understanding that it it means relationships with people.

Anyway ... just being funny - the rules say that authorisation from models is required. ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You don't need to even if you and your subject are in a public space (ie: not private property).

How would the paparazzi ever survive if they needed permission from the stars, right? Don't worry. I'd feel creepy about taking a couple's photo while they're making out, but legally, it's cool. :p I'd probably aim for a non-romantic photo, though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
tektonnic said:
itll be fun, we can have humans in pictures *GASP*.

Mmm....actually there was nothing in the other topic choices of the past which precluded having people in the shots.....just as there would not be if one were to shoot a picture including, say, "water," which seems to be in the lead right at the moment. One could shoot a photo of a child or adult frolicking in the water, for instance....

There never has been anything preventing participants from presenting images which include people.....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
tektonnic said:
WooWoo! Relationships! You may need model release forms, not sure, but who cares, take pictures of people you know rather than random people, itll be fun, we can have humans in pictures *GASP*!

To be honest relationships does not have to include people. Yes, I have posted this image before - but it seems to fit the relationship theme (hence why I questioned in the PAST, the exclusion of images that did not meet a time frame). Here is one that I think fits the "relationship" theme well.

Attachments

• P1000162a_web.jpg
    P1000162a_web.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 182

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Clix Pix said:
Mmm....actually there was nothing in the other topic choices of the past which precluded having people in the shots.....just as there would not be if one were to shoot a picture including, say, "water," which seems to be in the lead right at the moment. One could shoot a photo of a child or adult frolicking in the water, for instance....

There never has been anything preventing participants from presenting images which include people.....

Very true, however the only shot where someone has taken a pic with people in to my memory was the one of the daughter at the junk tip - OH, and the green bug on that head, what I'm saying is 'relationships' are more encouraging to people to choose people, where as water I feel is going to prompt half-cocked artistic reflections and pictures of puddles...

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Clix Pix said:

<giggle> ... people shots for subject = water woud be ok because we are over 2/3 water anyway ... :rolleyes:

tektonnic said:
...where as water I feel is going to prompt half-cocked artistic reflections and pictures of puddles...

... but what if these "half-cocked artistic reflections and pictures of puddles" are good shots? ;)

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK
Blong said:
... but what if these "half-cocked artistic reflections and pictures of puddles" are good shots? ;)

but they won't be, theyll be boring and unoriginal, i can see water anywhere, its just wet.

but looks like its going to be water this month - woo feel the enthusiasm. I bet there wont be 13 seperate entries...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
^^Wow, that's a loose interpretation of the word "relationship" you got there. Could be just me, though, but I'll use the smiley anyway, because this is what I am ---> :confused:

My bad. Did not remember Applespider saying the first thread "human relationships" was the intent of the Relationship theme. That is what happens with one word themes, ones own interpretation.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Chip NoVaMac said:
My bad. Did not remember Applespider saying the first thread "human relationships" was the intent of the Relationship theme. That is what happens with one word themes, ones own interpretation.

Probably because I didn't say it was 'human' only. I specifically raised the point that it was entirely open to interpretation and could end up being anything from 'strawberrise and cream' to people.

When reading the thread this morning, I thought Abstract was confused over your interpretation of 'relationship' in the image that you posted. We'll have to wait til he comments again to clarify, I guess.

As for the fact that 'water' might be boring - well, that's up to people to try to make their shots interesting. If that's the call, that's what we go with...

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
tektonnic said:
but they won't be, theyll be boring and unoriginal, i can see water anywhere, its just wet.

but looks like its going to be water this month - woo feel the enthusiasm. I bet there wont be 13 seperate entries...

Don't give up before you've started.

Blong

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Applespider said:
As for the fact that 'water' might be boring - well, that's up to people to try to make their shots interesting. If that's the call, that's what we go with...

Why is there a mood that water may be boring? (note to self - don't post a boring pic of water) Water is life, death and everything - we drink, eat and breathe it. Surely we can capture something interesting from the mundane? That's why we hang around in the MR DPF right? That's what photography is about, yeah?

Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I can already see it: lots of photos of bad reflections from water. It can be interesting, though.

Chip NoVaMac said:

Can you explain the "relationship"? I'm trying to see it. "Strawberries and creme" I do understand, though. Same with any 2 objects that might "go together", or work together. Heck, even a man typing on his keyboard would be something I'd understand. I'm just having a hard time understanding the sign.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Abstract said:
I can already see it: lots of photos of bad reflections from water. It can be interesting, though.

Can you explain the "relationship"? I'm trying to see it. "Strawberries and creme" I do understand, though. Same with any 2 objects that might "go together", or work together. Heck, even a man typing on his keyboard would be something I'd understand. I'm just having a hard time understanding the sign.

It's not just the sign; it's also the illustration thing next to the sign. See how it mirrors the shape? They are related in form, but still completely different from one another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.