PDA

View Full Version : May 3, 1984: Apple Releases Its First Update, System 1.1

MacBytes
May 3, 2006, 09:11 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: May 3, 1984: Apple Releases It's First Update, System 1.1 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060503101150)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ahunter3
May 3, 2006, 09:55 AM
System 1 (and 2, really) was before my time, and I cut my teeth on a 512k Mac, not the originaly 128k, but I sure remember doing the floppy dance.

In the era before hard disks, having an external floppy drive (or a second internal floppy drive, when the SE came out) was like having two legs instead of just one, it was so fantastic.

I remember when our student newspaper's LaserWriter went down and I had to print out a series of PageMaker documents from the Mac Lab, which only had single-floppydrive (800 K) Macs available. One floppy for the OS and necessary fonts, one for PageMaker itself (a sprawlingly huge app for its time), and a third for the documents. A process that was somewhat annoying with two floppy drives became excrutiating with just one.

PS: remember MacPUKE Init?

bwintx
May 3, 2006, 11:29 AM
System 1-dot-1 (although in those long-ago days, we said "1-point-1" :)) was the very first Mac OS I ever used. Since I bought an external floppy drive when I bought my "Skinny Mac," I never had too much wrist/elbow-straining swapping in the first place; but Apple had also cleaned up MacWrite and MacPaint a tad since the intro.

And, yep, back then, OS "dot" ("point") upgrades were free. (OTOH, going from a $2,495 "Skinny Mac" to a "Fat Mac" when that became possible a few months later was by no means free! :eek: )

glowingstar
May 3, 2006, 12:02 PM
...how did people get the upgrade? was it by mail, or did you have to go into a store to pick it up? and was it posted on bbses? :confused:

i was using an apple //c for the longest, and new os upgrades were simply found on newer discs that i purchased....

ahunter3
May 3, 2006, 12:08 PM
...how did people get the upgrade? was it by mail, or did you have to go into a store to pick it up? and was it posted on bbses? :confused:

i was using an apple //c for the longest, and new os upgrades were simply found on newer discs that i purchased....

I dunno about private owners; I was a school student then, and when one walked into the Mac Lab to use the Macs, there'd be a sign upfront, "New Operating System, Please update your software". They'd lend you an OS disk if you had your own diskettes. Newbies buying their own first disks would have the new version already on it.

steve_hill4
May 3, 2006, 06:48 PM
System 1-dot-1 (although in those long-ago days, we said "1-point-1" :)) was the very first Mac OS I ever used. Since I bought an external floppy drive when I bought my "Skinny Mac," I never had too much wrist/elbow-straining swapping in the first place; but Apple had also cleaned up MacWrite and MacPaint a tad since the intro.

And, yep, back then, OS "dot" ("point") upgrades were free. (OTOH, going from a $2,495 "Skinny Mac" to a "Fat Mac" when that became possible a few months later was by no means free! :eek: )
Can't speak for where you are, but in English speaking Europe, point is still used. Also, 1.1 was more like 10.4.6, not 10.4. Apple have been inconsistant over the years with which ones' you had to pay for and which were free updates, but this was an update rather than a new version, (which major releases tend to be).

Was System 1 to 2 a free upgrade?

IJ Reilly
May 3, 2006, 07:06 PM
Was System 1 to 2 a free upgrade?

All upgrades were free until 7.0. Depending on the Apple dealer (remember Apple dealers?), you sometimes had to supply your own floppies (remember floppy discs?).

steve_hill4
May 3, 2006, 07:15 PM
All upgrades were free until 7.0. Depending on the Apple dealer (remember Apple dealers?), you sometimes had to supply your own floppies (remember floppy discs?).
Of course, we even used the older 5.25" discs for a short time when I was at school, (about the ages of 7 to 11).

Have to confess though, I was partially being sarcastic thinking it wasn't officially a free upgrade, just to prove a point that going from 1 to 2 to 3 was like 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 and 1.1 was merely like a software update. Interesting to know that all the way up to System 7, the OS was free.

ahunter3
May 3, 2006, 07:18 PM
Actually, even 7.0 and (I think) 7.0.1 were free. I'm pretty sure 7.1 was the version where all of a sudden you had to pay for it if you wanted it (unless of course it came with your computer).

IJ Reilly
May 3, 2006, 08:00 PM
Actually, even 7.0 and (I think) 7.0.1 were free. I'm pretty sure 7.1 was the version where all of a sudden you had to pay for it if you wanted it (unless of course it came with your computer).

You could be right, but I remember 7.0 being the first MacOS for money. I'm pretty sure it was also the first MacOS you could get on a CD.

ahunter3
May 4, 2006, 12:03 AM
You could be right, but I remember 7.0 being the first MacOS for money. I'm pretty sure it was also the first MacOS you could get on a CD.

System 7.0 on a CD? Who the heck had a CDROM drive back then? This was 1991! Mactracker says: Distribution Media: 800k or 1.44 MB floppy disks. Released May 1991. First Mac with a CDROM drive: the Quadra 900 released October 1991, a lot sooner than I remembered...OK, possible, just barely possible, that Apple released 7.0.1 on CD between the debut of the Quadra 900 and the arrival of System 7.1, even though CD drives were scarce.

I'm almost positive about System 7 being distributed for free in the earliest versions, too. I'll look for a reference.

IJ Reilly
May 4, 2006, 01:08 AM
System 7.0 on a CD? Who the heck had a CDROM drive back then? This was 1991! Mactracker says: Distribution Media: 800k or 1.44 MB floppy disks. Released May 1991. First Mac with a CDROM drive: the Quadra 900 released October 1991, a lot sooner than I remembered...OK, possible, just barely possible, that Apple released 7.0.1 on CD between the debut of the Quadra 900 and the arrival of System 7.1, even though CD drives were scarce.

I'm almost positive about System 7 being distributed for free in the earliest versions, too. I'll look for a reference.

See what you can come up with, but I'll buy what MacTracker says (7.5 was the first version available on CD).