Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Silicon.com reports that Apple's Korean online store (http://apple.co.kr/store) was hacked and defaced.

The defacement was reported to be a dozen lines of code posted to the Apple.co.kr homepage. It was removed quickly by Apple after being notified of the incident.

The attack, carried out by someone working under the name 'Dinam', who claimed in his post to be Turkish, was brought to the attention of silicon.com last Thursday.

Apple.co.kr is running under Mac OS X/Apache. Few other details are available at this time, and Apple has made no comment.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
WildCowboy said:
Hmmm...is this really Page 1 worthy?

Definitely.

It says a lot about WebObjects + Apache and hints at Mac OS X being a vulnerable host, even if it wasn't the host.

I'm wondering why he attacked a low traffic area instead of the U.S., UK, or Japanese store.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Seems its top-news worthy on other mac-centric sites. not that i say following others is always a great move, i'm only just saying others seem to think its big enough news.

wonder what the code was.

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
Well assuming that the site is hosted by Mac OS X server and on Xserves this seems to say a lot about the security of Apple systems - ironically only days after it started advertising itself for having no viruses (Yes, I understand that this isn't a virus!)...:eek:

Uber

EDIT: Anybody have any pics of the site hacked?

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
Scary...and could be really bad news depending on how it was hacked. One can hope the flaw was in apache...

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Somone saw the Virus commercial and gave a whack at it... at least thats my opinion... But I do think it is page 1 worthy,

You cant live without harm,

For Example...
You cant walk outside without being vunerable to a virus or cold of some kind.
Your computer cant communicate with others without being vunerable to a virus or malicious code of some kind...

But once we know a virus is there we have medicine to cure it.
Once we see a vunerablilty by somone hacking we patch it and move on.

^Endless cycle of life^

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
UberMac said:
Well assuming that the site is hosted by Mac OS X server and on Xserves this seems to say a lot about the security of Apple systems

I wouldn't necessarily say that.. I'd be more inclined to peer at Apache, but that's just me.

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Have Apple made any comment about his yet?
And, does anyone have any idea what exactly was defaced? Visiting it now, I see some of the icons are missing, but this might have not been related to the attack...

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
If the hacker claims to be Turkish, why is he hacking the Korean localization of Apple's website? Seems strange to me.

If it is in conjunction with the "challenge" to hackers within the new ad campaign, why wouldn't Apple.com be hacked--better security? Somebody educate me.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
boncellis said:
If the hacker claims to be Turkish, why is he hacking the Korean localization of Apple's website? Seems strange to me.

Because there are no international borders in cyberspace...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wonder how it was hacked, and why the Korean site?
perhaps the US or an European store couldn't be hacked and had to settle for the Korean one? details are few so hopefully more light will be shed on this incident.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
boncellis said:

If it is in conjunction with the "challenge" to hackers within the new ad campaign, why wouldn't Apple.com be hacked--better security? Somebody educate me.

Going after a "lesser" site is a tactic hackers usually use, they wont have the latest and greatest security because they dont have the trafic the bigger sites have and the damage if hacked isnt as much either. Apple should however make sure all their commerce sites are secured with only the best.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
WildCowboy said:
Hmmm...is this really Page 1 worthy?

Did you see what OS it was running on? OSX Server/Apache. If this was hacked from the outside, then absolutely this is page1 worthy. Shows that MacOS is not invulnerable, and apparently not even when its hardened!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
longofest said:
Did you see what OS it was running on? OSX Server/Apache. If this was hacked from the outside, then absolutely this is page1 worthy. Shows that MacOS is not invulnerable, and apparently not even when its hardened!

who thought it was invulnerable?

:rolleyes: Nothing is invulnerable

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
longofest said:

Again, I seriously doubt it's OS X. I'm betting something unpatched in the Apache that was running. But I could be wrong. However, no one that has a Clue™ said that OS X was invulnerable.

People should really look at the other stats the attacker has on the Zone-H site.

There's only 3 (reported) of 116 by "By Dinam" that target OS X. Most are IIS/Windows targets.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Seems kinda ironic that this happens a day or so after the release of the "virus" and the other apple ads.
mcarnes said:
Hmmmm, sign of things to come with the new ads taunting the nerds? I hope not.
Note to Apple, dont piss off the nerds.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.