PDA

View Full Version : Worst Windows Experience that forced YOU to switch?

Pages : [1] 2

FF_productions
May 3, 2006, 04:40 PM
Just wondering, what your experiences were before you switched...

Now this didn't completely cause the switch, but it totally told me windows sucks: I ran disk cleanup (comes with XP) and it started deleting itself and soon it started looking for files in the registry and completely crashed. I then saw the infamous blue screen and another reason to get a mac.:D

liketom
May 3, 2006, 04:42 PM
total loss of all digital photo's , home movies , and loss of time

and the total pisstake of having to reinstall the os every 2 weeks

been a happy switcher now for some time :D , i will NEVER look back

iBlue
May 3, 2006, 04:43 PM
i got sick of windows shortly after using OS X and seeing how much better things could be. i knew it was for me immediately. when it was time for a laptop i got a powerbook. now i have an iMac too.
i'll try to keep that windows machine going the best that i can but i don't think i'll buy another PC in this decade. i can't say the same about macs... they are always welcome here. ;)

j26
May 3, 2006, 04:44 PM
3 reinstalls over 2 weeks, and infestation with crap in the time it took to download the antivirus

imacintel
May 3, 2006, 04:45 PM
I am using my brothers machine now, which is windows. But my experience with my compaq laptop, was horrible.

First of all, some days windows is really slow. and I had to erase and reinstall windows almost 4 times. it was horrid.

baby duck monge
May 3, 2006, 04:47 PM
Well I've always used Macs (we always had them at home, and Macs were the things to have at schools back in the day). I've had my choice of platform reaffirmed in seeing other people using their PCs, though - most often at school where they were hit by the multiple viruses that made it onto the network while I could continue computing trouble-free.

Benjamindaines
May 3, 2006, 04:52 PM
What's Windows? ;)

I've always used macs

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 3, 2006, 04:53 PM
My printer spazzed like crazy every time I tried to print something out.

I plugged it into my sister's Mac, and it worked fine so...I bought a mac.

I bought my sister a Mac before I even got one because she had an iPod and wanted one, so I guess I fall under the 'iPod halo effect' category as well.

wmmk
May 3, 2006, 05:00 PM
on my windows, it was impossible to connect to the internet. some guy also tried to use my machine as a zombie. i had a zillion viruses. no opensource or free software was available w/o having malware come with. everything was SO SLOW!!!!!!!

Applespider
May 3, 2006, 05:28 PM
My PC died after Norton updated itself once to often although I'd been thinking about getting a new computer around that time since it was v slow and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of backing stuff up and reinstalling.

Since I'd had a Mac in System 7 days and dealt with system extension conflicts etc, I really wasn't looking for another one. Until I went to a friend's house who had a TiBook and she showed me OS X and I fell in love with it. I'd never seen a computer that did things like that! I still feel that way and my Powerbook is over 2. It's possibly the longest I've gone without a new computer (or feeling that I should have one) since I had my first Mac which lasted me 4 years in the days of the Performa

DavidLeblond
May 3, 2006, 05:30 PM
I used Windows up until November of 2004. Occasionally I had gotten fed up and gone to Linux. The last time I used Windows at home, my Mcafee went up for renewal, and the Network Associates decided to renew it for me (charging me of course) without telling me. I yelled at them and cancelled my subscription, and went to get AVG Anti-virus. Well AVG overwrote a system DLL which for some reason completely killed my system. System restore wouldn't even work. I called Microsoft and complained to them, they told me to reformat. I said "I thought it wasn't suppose to install unsigned DLLs over system DLLs... thats suppose to be one of XPs features!" They told me no, that is only partially implemented. I hung up, and the next day I bought by iBook.

Before that I was anti-Mac too. Hated everything about them. But I didn't want to go the Linux route again, because I never could get everything just the way I wanted it. And I was tired of coming home from work, wanting to relax on the internet, but finding that I had to sit behind it for 5 hours trying to fix something in Windows.

Sorry to rant and go on about it, this is a sensitive subject for me.

CanadaRAM
May 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
All of my suppliers went to online invoicing and ordering; with websites that required IE 6, so I had to switch.

Wait...

You mean the other way?

Nevermind :o

CoMpX
May 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
I had the logic board in my custom made PC replaced 3 times...the CPU once, and the power supply once. I also had to reinstall Windows 3 times in the last week that I had the PC. I loved the coolness of my iPod shuffle (uugh), so I decided to sell my PC for whatever I could get then I bought the Mac mini. Then my dad bought me an iBook.....wonderful things!

iSaint
May 3, 2006, 05:53 PM
Multiple reinstalls over several years. Plus the computer wouldn't turn on sometimes. It would just sit there for a day or two, then power up.

freakin' windows/compaq

Shrek6446
May 3, 2006, 05:54 PM
For me what pushed me over the edge with Windows was when I was trying to edit videos. I tried Windows Movie Makes, Ulead, Sony Vegas, and even Premier. I couldnt stop the darn machine from crashing. Every time I tried to do something simple (say add music) the entire OS crashed not just the program. This happened to me more then a coulple times, so I went to the Apple store near my house and talked with one of the guys there and he showed me Imovie and showed me some of the advanced stuff you can do almost seemlessly.

Now that I switched I havent had any problems with Imovie or any other program.

Southerner
May 3, 2006, 06:21 PM
I wasn't able to do anything on Photoshop on Win XP because it kept crashing on me even from doing the lightest tasks!

I have had enough of restarting the PC a zillion of times, I bought a Mac and the PC, in my eyes, became obsolete after only two years.

I continued with Photoshop on the Mac - it is a lot more capable of running it no matter how much you push the computer to the limit depending how intensive the task is - it always work which on Win XP the PC crashes out after simply airbrushing an image - how pathetic.
:rolleyes:

jefhatfield
May 3, 2006, 06:26 PM
i have always been primarily a mac user, but my first experience with windows was awful

windows 3.1...worst thing i have ever seen in my life

when i actually did buy a pc, it had windows 98 and it was a million times better than windows 3.1, but it still lagged behind my mac which had os 9

macOSX-tastic
May 3, 2006, 06:27 PM
you know what i want in a computer? something i can turn on, and start using.

windows doesnt provide you that.

you have to wait for everything to load.

then, you have to wait while it scans your computer for viruses and other stuff.

when i installed service pack 2, everytime i started up, i got a message reading "windows has closed the following programs to protect you from your computer: generic hst process for win32 services. there were about 25 of these to click through each time i started up before i could use my computer.

then, when you get through that gauntlet, you had to go online to check your email. simple, right? wrong. click on firefox, opens.....either, pages took 10 minutes to load on a 1MB connection because of all the security / junk, or a network connection could not be detected. more bizarre error windows.

then, i wanted to create, for example, a report for school. again, simple task. but noooo, i click on word. takes 10 minutes to load. gives me an error message or two for good measure. then, clippy the office paperclip, the love child of the most annoying thing on the planet, the crazy frog, and the "creative minds" of microsoft's ents department. it tells me it thinks im writing a letter. i wasnt responsible for my actions most of the time that happened.

the same can be said for 90% of the applications i worked with.

it took me about 10 minutes to prepare myself for gettting ready to start work, on average.

windows slowed down incredibly over time.

then, on shutdown, it makes all sorts of complaints.

i have to re-install windows every couple of months to keep things working.

i have to re-install windows on all the machines in my family's house every once in a while, again, just to keep the working.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done.

and that, friends, is why i wanted to switch when the oppertunity of a new computer came.

maybe it was just my computer. but it seemed to happen every where i went. and my mac hating friends, even though the reasons were blatantly staring them in the face, still chose to grin and bear their windows machines, and put up with the frustrations.

the fact of the matter is, i use OSX to manage my digital life, and its good at it! but OSX cant do it all (yet.) so occasionally, i have to use windows. but thats ok. it really is. but i dont think i will ever get a machine that cant run OS X. ever. again.

:D

thanks for listening to the rant.

S

grapes911
May 3, 2006, 06:30 PM
I never had a bad experience with Windows. Yes, I've had crashes, but nothing major. I take really good care of my Windows Box and it runs really well. That being said, I really enjoyed using Linux more. Something about the Unix environment just seems "right" to me. I only used windows when I needed it (games mostly). I wanted a laptop so purchased a used G3 500 MHz iBook to install Linux because I heard good things about PPC processors and like the look of it. I tried out OS X (I think it was 10.1) and I thought it was pretty good. It allowed me to using a Unix-like environment, but it was way more mainstream and refined. I put linux on it, but I always seemed to boot into OS X. I've only purchased Macs since, although I still do upgrade my PC once and while (again, mostly for game and some .NET).

mad jew
May 3, 2006, 06:32 PM
I had to shut down from the START button. I mean, what the hell! That's the atrocity that made me switch.

In all seriousness, I've had a similar experience to grapes911 in that Windows never did anything particularly bad but OSX is just so much better in all directions. :)

theBB
May 3, 2006, 06:33 PM
After installing a new version of Roxio (came with my new external DVD writer) the whole computer started freezing when I tried to burn a DVD and it took Windows 45 minutes to uninstall it. I figured it would be great if I could just delete a program if it is acting up and it would be even better if the whole OS did not freeze just because a badly written program is malfunctioning.

So far OSX got the first desire fulfilled and faring much better than XP on the second front.

bdugan
May 3, 2006, 06:40 PM
Well i guess the worst experience was also my best windows experience, in which i got my laptop stolen from me. Insurance covered all of my new mbp minus the 500 dollar deductable. The cost of my old laptop was 1799, so with the student discount the mbp only cost me $500.

runninmac
May 3, 2006, 06:47 PM
Having to wait 5 minutes for the computer to start up, then a uncontrollable amount of popup windows which I eventually learned just to push to the side. Also I didn't feel like forking down $50 every year for ant-virus softwear that took 2 hours to run a full virus check.

DeathChill
May 3, 2006, 07:11 PM
I've never had a really bad experience with Windows. I take quite good care of all my machines. The ONLY crashes I've ever experienced on Windows was when my wireless driver was garbage (Stupid D-Link) and it caused crashes randomly. However, that was not Windows fault.

I'm not 100% switched, I guess. I really do prefer OS X to Windows, but I am very unlikely to ever only have a Mac simply because with a PC I always have the choice of upgrading everything later.

jefhatfield
May 3, 2006, 07:23 PM
I've never had a really bad experience with Windows. I take quite good care of all my machines. The ONLY crashes I've ever experienced on Windows was when my wireless driver was garbage (Stupid D-Link) and it caused crashes randomly. However, that was not Windows fault.

I'm not 100% switched, I guess. I really do prefer OS X to Windows, but I am very unlikely to ever only have a Mac simply because with a PC I always have the choice of upgrading everything later.

you have a good point there

but buy the solo intel mac mini and try it and see what you think...the whole thing about macs is not the hardware, but the software ("macintosh: the naked truth")

grapes911
May 3, 2006, 07:25 PM
the whole thing about macs is not the hardware, but the software

I adamantly disagree. The way the hardware and software work together is what makes them so good. While both are very good separately, I really think this is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.

DaveP
May 3, 2006, 07:32 PM
I also haven't had any real negative experiences with Windows and don't think it's too bad. It has to be maintained much more carefully that OS X and so people not as good with computers often have problems. Really the main negative to Windows for me is being a hawk about what I install. And mostly because I like having a clean system, I re-install Windows about every year or two.

DeathChill
May 3, 2006, 07:45 PM
you have a good point there

but buy the solo intel mac mini and try it and see what you think...the whole thing about macs is not the hardware, but the software ("macintosh: the naked truth")
That's funny that you say that as I posted that, and this, message from my Core Solo Mini. I am planning on putting a Merom chip into it once Merom comes out, but I meant that I can upgrade every piece on my PC, but not my Mac.

As well, I don't get the hardware/software integration everyone talks about. My Windows machine supports all my hardware so it's just as integrated as Mac OS X. :confused: The only thing different is that Apple builds things in, such as iSight, but I don't get the huge difference. If I buy a Dell every single piece of hardware is perfectly supported by Windows, so I just don't get it. :confused:

grapes911
May 3, 2006, 07:50 PM
As well, I don't get the hardware/software integration everyone talks about. My Windows machine supports all my hardware so it's just as integrated as Mac OS X. :confused: The only thing different is that Apple builds things in, such as iSight, but I don't get the huge difference. If I buy a Dell every single piece of hardware is perfectly supported by Windows, so I just don't get it. :confused:

With my PC, I have to keep track of all my driver and such. I have to know when new ones come out. I have to remember which ones are installed. I have to do a lot of things that I don't worry about with my Mac. You can install OS X and everything (except maybe a 3rd party wireless card or BT adapter or something) works. With my PC I have to install a video card driver, a sound card driver, DirectX, and so much more. Because Apple develops OS X for specific hardware, they can bundle the correct drivers with the OS instead of generic ones likes Windows.

Plus, Macs are some of the best hardware with some of the best software. It's a win-win situation.

calebjohnston
May 3, 2006, 07:57 PM
I just hated always having to keep track of all my extra software with Windows... my camera software, had to have the printer cd's, etc. Too much to handle. With macs, it's all right there. Plug it in, and go.

lom8104
May 3, 2006, 08:33 PM
I had an absolutely horrible experience with Windows that caused me to switch...

Windows was bugging me with those balloon reminders that I needed to install Service Pack 2 so I went ahead and OK'd it. BIG MISTAKE. Apparently I had spyware on my computer that was "incompatible with SP2." (Microsoft's words, not mine) The Solution? To reinstall windows of course!

Now the real problem was that I could not install windows to c:\windows because it was already installed there and since it crashed during a reboot after the SP2 install it would absolutely refuse to overwrite the existing windows' files.

...So naturally I though I would install a second copy of windows at c:\windows2. BIG MISTAKE 2. Apparently I didn't have enough room for a second install of windows ME so what did windows do?? If you answered that it warned me that I had insufficient hard drive space you would be wrong. Rather, windows install had decided to delete as much of my pictures in the HDD as necessary until there was enough room!!

Years of my memories gone, I recalled my housemates 12" powerbook and how I had kicked a beer onto it the past week (less than a week old too!) and how it was functioning fine (after drying for a day). As soon as I made my way to an Apple store I was a proud owner of a 15" powerbook!

My PC? Let's just say after meeting my sledge hammer it will never harm anyone again!

jefhatfield
May 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
I adamantly disagree. The way the hardware and software work together is what makes them so good. While both are very good separately, I really think this is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.

i was mostly quoting a book on macs, in parenthesis, but it's not all one or the other for me

i would say most of my personal experience and attachment to macs is the operating system

if the world of computers had 1) an ugly beige/gray enclosure tower like some of the major maker pc companies and had os x, and

2) the only alternative was something that looked exactly like the power mac or imac but only ran windows,

then i would take the ugly tower with os x...my first experience with a modern mac (relatively recent) was when i bought a used power computing powertowerpro 180 with os 8.1 and though the computer was beige and unremarkable in appearance, i absolutely fell in love with the operating system

damax452
May 3, 2006, 08:56 PM
I have always been a windows user. I've had my share of crashes and stuff, but i am very satisfied overall.

The main reason I use Windows is because the world caters to PC users. Compatibility is what its all about. I can walk up to any computer at work, school, or in a public place and if it has windows, I know exactly what to do.

I seriously considered buying a mac but I could not justify it since my PC does everything I want to do, and there is nothing you can do on a mac that you can't do on a PC. Nothing.

And these people that have problems with viruses on PCs are just displaying their inexperience and/or ignorance. I currently do not run any anti-virus software other than what is supplied with WinXP (and never have), and I have no problems with viruses, spyware, etc. Its just a simple browser setting to disable installation of software. This eliminates 90% of the chance of getting a virus. The other way ppl get virii are through email. If you use gmail it filters out these emails and you never even have a chance to view them let alone download and open them.

I see no reason to switch to a more expensive, less common machine. Show me that it can do more than my PC or do the same for less money, then I'll switch.

zorg
May 3, 2006, 08:59 PM
Getting a virus on a pc.

miniConvert
May 3, 2006, 09:06 PM
Having problems with IE6 that, as it is so deeply buried in the OS, would cause the whole computer to hang. Sometimes the only indication would be that the clock had stopped updating. No errors, logs, no solution. To make matters worse, after replacing IE6 with the awful IE7 Beta 2 (it was a last resort) the Fingerprint Reader on Microsofts own keyboard was no longer compatible. Uninstalls and reinstalls of IE6 followed.

erickkoch
May 3, 2006, 09:24 PM
For me it was mostly because of the hardware.

My Packard Bell PC was a pile of crap. It crashed and the restore disk didn't work. The support tech sent me a new one but the support number was not toll free, I ended up paying about $20 for the call. I took it in to replace the modem and ended up having to buy a new sound card because Packard Bell put them on the same card. The video card was built into the motherboard and was not very good, the new one I put in didn't work well. I got tired of software that didn't work with the video card, modem, and other software/hardware conflicts.

Got really tired of all those cords in the back.

Bought a Bondi Blue iMac and never looked back.

FF_productions
May 3, 2006, 10:07 PM
My HP didn't come with a restore disc (this was bought in-store for 1400 bucks just for the tower). So it crashed, and we were screwed. I believe there was a lawsuit against HP for that..

SC68Cal
May 3, 2006, 10:35 PM
Being employed as a IT tech and administrator for Center for Resources in Human Development Education of Temple University

I needed to be able to keep my computing life sane, by being able to come home to non-windows environent. Linux still reminded me too much of Windows GUI, so off to Apple I went.

DMPDX
May 3, 2006, 10:43 PM
Having the peole at emachines tell me to either, take my cpu out by myself (without telling me to get rid of my staticly charged hands) or when they told me I should sell it on ebay if I wanted to return it after the 30 day period. Garbage I say.
-dsm

Boggle
May 3, 2006, 11:02 PM
I bought a $2500 Inspiron 8600, and a $500 4 year warranty, (complete care+, & accidental drop etc. etc. etc). About 6 months in the battery stopped charging. I spent 3 hrs on the phone w/ tech support & supervisors. They tjem told me I had to BUY a $150 battery & a $30 plug. I did. It didn't fix the problem. The new battery would not charge. I spent 4 hrs on the phone this time. They finally sent out a tech to install a new motherboard. He fried the new motherboard during installation & then the old one while reinstalling it. Luckily, he had another in his car. After that, I spent 4 hrs trying to fix all the new software problems that started popping up after the motherboard fiasco. I gave up and called Tech support where they told me (after 2 hrs of transferring) that I would have to contact Microsoft et al. for software problems.

That's when I decided after using pc's since IBM's PS2 30, I was done being a sucker.

surroundfan
May 3, 2006, 11:17 PM
IThe homebrew box I built got a nasty spyware infection last year that kept causing my WLAN connection to drop every couple of minutes as it phoned home. No antivirus or antispyware software picked up the infection and so a weekend was wasted formatting and reinstalling Windows and other programs.

Buying a laptop was a gleam in my eye at that stage, but as my reinstalled Windows got filled with the sludge of redundant DLLs and fragmented, my desire for something better grew...

By the time my MBP arrived, my Windows machine took over 4 minutes to boot. It was good to get back to sub-30s boot times.

livingfortoday
May 3, 2006, 11:25 PM
Well, I had always had Macs at home as a kid, but one day I finally just got a PC cause it was cheaper. This must have been the System 8 days. A few years later I got Fujitsu laptop when I went to college, and that thing was a nightmare. It ran Windows ME, which is the worst operating system in the world. I got constant blue screens and crashes, it was awful. I got Win2k on it, finally, but I ended up selling it off. I stuck to building custom boxes for a while, but I kept having standard PC problems - oops, virus, gotta reformat - oops, Windows randomly decided to delete part of itself, reinstall - crap like that. Finally, one day my PC died, and I was broke, so my dad sent me his old Titanium G4 Powerbook, and I fell in love again. It was all so simple, and hassle-free, and just a great experience. Since then, it's been smooth sailing. I have never once had a major problem with Mac OS X itself, and the hardware works great too. Yay!

x704
May 3, 2006, 11:26 PM
Well i guess the worst experience was also my best windows experience, in which i got my laptop stolen from me. Insurance covered all of my new mbp minus the 500 dollar deductable. The cost of my old laptop was 1799, so with the student discount the mbp only cost me $500.

See? good things do come out of something bad, in this case better than before. :D

I swiched because of lots of small things, I knew about the Mac for a long time but what keped me sticking to windows was the "crowd" effect. A few years ago I managed to get a few older Macs; I think a performa and cintra or something like that and 3 working laptops, one had a track ball and the other two were the same and had a passive matrix LCD screen. And then I saw my first program, instantly my life changed as I desired to learn how to program. A few months later I wrote my first program in chimpmonk BASIC to do a homework problem from my math book on one of my Mac laptops. Some time later my dad got his getaway and has had printer/driver problems from the beginning and recently partitioned his HD and installed XP again and after that it has been locking up and shutting it's self down way more/too often. About 1 year ago I was looking for a laptop and I was asking my cousin about the iBook and in general Macs, (he worked in an Apple store fixing computers for a few years and now maintains a network of Macs) I was astounded when he said in all my years I have seen but one viruses which froze up the computer and was easly removed. Wow, I also found out OS X keeps the disk defraged (for the most part). The deeper I dug trying to find a reason to not buy a Mac the more features I saw, like not having a system regestry and the command line and... [long list]. now my dad will buy a Mac for his next computer.

sorry for my life's story (from a computers stand point)

After G
May 4, 2006, 01:25 AM
I have always been a windows user. I've had my share of crashes and stuff, but i am very satisfied overall. You shouldn't be satisfied with crashes. :D

The main reason I use Windows is because the world caters to PC users. Compatibility is what its all about. I can walk up to any computer at work, school, or in a public place and if it has windows, I know exactly what to do. What happens when the computer doesn't run Windows?

I seriously considered buying a mac but I could not justify it since my PC does everything I want to do, and there is nothing you can do on a mac that you can't do on a PC. Nothing. Are you sure? See below.

And these people that have problems with viruses on PCs are just displaying their inexperience and/or ignorance. I currently do not run any anti-virus software other than what is supplied with WinXP (and never have), and I have no problems with viruses, spyware, etc. Its just a simple browser setting to disable installation of software. This eliminates 90% of the chance of getting a virus. The other way ppl get virii are through email. If you use gmail it filters out these emails and you never even have a chance to view them let alone download and open them.This constant vigilance should not be required. With all the power a computer has, it should be able to do some of this stuff for you. I would have dared you to find this "simple" browser setting when you were new to computing, but I can't. I can deal with all the preventative measures you have mentioned. I have never had spyware or viruses back when I owned PCs. But the point is I DON'T WANT TO. I want to do things with my computer besides have it be a glorified Tamagotchi, with me taking care of the damned thing all the time.

I see no reason to switch to a more expensive, less common machine. Show me that it can do more than my PC or do the same for less money, then I'll switch. Alright, since you asked for it ... :p

Scenario 1:
Run cygwin.
Then run a full-blown Linux/Unix and see how much better it is than crappy cygwin or Unix Services for Windows.
Then try running Microsoft Word and Linux/Unix at the same time, without WINE.
The Mac will do this better.

Scenario 2:
Make a movie with the included software on your PC. No pirating "Best Movie Maker for Windows version 9.33.07.622" with a crack from some warez group.
Then burn that video to a disc with the included software on your PC. Again, no pirating CD burning software. Only use what is bundled with your PC.

Scenario 3:
Get a copy of Mac OS X for Intel-based PC.
Run it on your current hardware.

My point is the world should cater to all computing, not just Windows. Unix does just fine on the Internet. in fact, you are more compatible in terms of networking by using a Mac. Intel Macs can do everything that PCs do, PLUS run OS X. Which no plain vanilla PC can do easily or legally. And it costs less than doing it on equivalent PC hardware.

You should have been a switcher back in February. :D

After G
May 4, 2006, 01:33 AM
And the reason I switched? (to get back on topic)

OS X was a better Unix than Linux. I had moved away from the Windows camp a long time ago because Windows doesn't do well on older hardware. But Linux just didn't feel right, like it was unfinished (back during the days of Red Hat Linux 7). Mac OS X just seemed like the logical next step to take.

brikeh
May 4, 2006, 01:51 AM
I really like Windows but...I LOVE OS X. :D

williamh
May 4, 2006, 01:52 AM
Windows does horrible job when multi-tasking!!!

I'm doing music production on Windows for years, it doesn't provide me good efficiency and workflow, and DRIVERS...god, really give me hard time when installing drivers for my interfaces and stuff.

Second, too many virus, worm, and adware when connected to internet. Those stuffs really slow my machine down.

And yeah, I have to clean up the whole system and do some organizing job on my files every week which waste me a lot of time.

I couldn't be happier when I switch to OS X!!

balamw
May 4, 2006, 02:07 AM
For me coming back to Apple was not the result of any one experience with Windows, but more the realization that there was really nothing holding me back anymore. The main things I wanted to do with my home computer could just as well be done on a Mac or a PC, light Office duty + lots of Web, iLife, and I would actually enjoy using the Mac.

The 17" iMac followed me home on a particularly bad day of dealing with MS Project at work.

B

risc
May 4, 2006, 02:16 AM
Windows had nothing to do with me moving to OS X. I wanted a UNIX laptop that just worked. At the time Linux notebook support was crap, so here I am.

livingfortoday
May 4, 2006, 02:18 AM
The 17" iMac followed me home on a particularly bad day of dealing with MS Project at work.

Aw mom, can't I keep him? He's so scared and doesn't have a home! I promise I'll feed him RAM and repair disk permissions at LEAST once a month!! Pleeeease? :p

balamw
May 4, 2006, 02:22 AM
Aw mom, can't I keep him? He's so scared and doesn't have a home! I promise I'll feed him RAM and repair disk permissions at LEAST once a month!! Pleeeease? :p
Pretty much, replace mom with endearing term for spouse of your choice. Followed by:

"You know honey, they can run Windows too now..."
"Why would we want to do that?"
"Only for the kids' older games, thank you very much!"

B

great high wolf
May 4, 2006, 02:43 AM
It was more a hardware thing. TIME PC that had 2 dead hard drives, 1 dead DVD-ROM drive, 2 dead CD-RW drives and the odd problem with stuff falling out inside the case.

But then there was the software issue as well... I saw OS X and saw that there was another way, then an ICT technician at my school started using an old iMac G4 because he wanted the UNIXy bits, and then I bought the iBook. And that was that.

macEfan
May 4, 2006, 10:09 AM
lets see

1) I had about 40 pieces of spyware
2) The computer got slow after a couple of months
3) the filesystem got corruped
4) the computer died :eek:

Reasons I switched:

1) OS X
2) ilife
3) cooler computers
4) hardly any spyware/viruses

sunfast
May 4, 2006, 10:17 AM
There was no single event. Just a gradual accumulation of lots of small niggles (each not an issue on their own, but together...) to the extent that OS X seemed worth a try.

So secondhand eBay Mac and here I am.

macidiot
May 4, 2006, 10:40 AM
I switched to Mac when the secondary 5.25 floppy drive on my Apple IIe stopped working... :cool:

wasimyaqoob
May 4, 2006, 10:41 AM
Just the fact that every week, I had to do a Virus Scan + Spyware Scan + Disk Defragmenting in order just to keep my Windows PC from crashing.

And every 6 months, I would back up all my data and format - Resulting in good performace.

But in order to do Nothing with Mac's - That alone MADE me switch and the sexy GUI which comes with Mac OS X is a Bonus.

biohazard6969
May 4, 2006, 11:20 AM
my worst experience would have to be the fact that you need a goddamn code to get it past a 30 day trial!!!!!!!!! acutally i've had a mac my whole life, but recently put windows on my intel iMac. it works fine, but it won't accept my perfectly valid code, and MS phone people don't help becasue they say i violated the end user agreement....

webcookie
May 4, 2006, 11:27 AM
I had a Dell desktop that kept eating itself. I'd turn it on in the morning, check my email and whatnot, then turn it off (this was some time ago when my mom used to make me turn my computer off every time I left it) and go to school. I'd come home from school, and everything would be gone. Dell came and replaced the HDD twice and the motherboard twice. Problems persisted. I finally installed my own HDD and Windows XP (it had ME) and it seemed to stop. But then I sold it anyway.

I had a Dell laptop that liked to freeze all the time. One time I came home and turned that on and Windows had eaten some crucial file.

I think that was what finally made me decide that I needed a Mac. I had that Dell laptop for less than a year before buying my iBook G4 the third day they were out (Panther release day!).

Kingsly
May 4, 2006, 11:28 AM
Total and devastating lack of logic, understanding, and intuitiveness made me switch from windows.

my worst experience would have to be the fact that you need a goddamn code to get it past a 30 day trial!!!!!!!!! acutally i've had a mac my whole life, but recently put windows on my intel iMac. it works fine, but it won't accept my perfectly valid code, and MS phone people don't help becasue they say i violated the end user agreement....
Wait, how did you violate the end user agreement? Does it say anywhere in there not to install windows on a mac?

balamw
May 4, 2006, 11:31 AM
Wait, how did you violate the end user agreement? Does it say anywhere in there not to install windows on a mac?
He doesn't say, but if he used an previously installed OEM (e.g. Dell) provided license, these cannot legally be transferred to another machine. Only retail, full packaged product, can be transferred.

B

matthew24
May 4, 2006, 11:44 AM
:

It works! Credit to 'lom8104'

jdechko
May 4, 2006, 12:00 PM
i got sick of windows shortly after using OS X and seeing how much better things could be.

Yeah, that about sums it up for me. I don't have spyware or adware problems, and my computer doesn't have any viruses. In fact, I don't think I've ever actually been infected by a virus (knock on wood). I'm of the opinion that Mac and OSX provide a much better overall computing experience.

MS bulldog
May 4, 2006, 12:14 PM
i still use xp. in 3 years, i've never had a problem, virus, or lost data. can't recall last time its frozen one me, and i've never done an os reinstall.

currently, i'm rocking a celeron 1.2ghz machine w/512mb ram. the most stressful thing this box does is burn dvds and edit some home movies. the main reason i'm switching is for a change of pace, and the fact that i can now run xp and macosx on the same machine...plus it's about time for an upgrade.

4God
May 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
Worst Windows Experience that forced YOU to switch?

Daily usage. ;)

electronboy
May 4, 2006, 12:22 PM
in 2000 I experienced a fatal error followed by the blue screen of death that resulted in a non bootable operating system while away from the office. my friend let me use his beige PowerMac and the rest was history.

MacBoobsPro
May 4, 2006, 01:11 PM
My restart button failed! :D

Blue Velvet
May 4, 2006, 01:17 PM
...and there is nothing you can do on a mac that you can't do on a PC. Nothing.

The real question is: how easy is it to do it?

Ever tried setting up a colour-managed pre-press workflow in Windows? Or using ligatures in fonts?

timmac
May 4, 2006, 01:25 PM
For me, I constantly had some new hardware or software conflict arising on xp, despite the fact I had not installed anything new. It got to the point I spent all my free time at home diagnosing the computer and trying to fix it.

I know lots of people who say they run windows for years and never had to re-install the os, but it would always seem to me that for one reason or another, I had to re-install at least once a year.

Now I have an iMac and it is, I feel truly what a computer should be. I can just USE it. I don't have to understand how it works. Just like a car, tv, or any other complicated machinery (ok, those are bad examples because I understand how they work in theory if not in detail), you don't have to understand how they work to use them.

Oryan
May 4, 2006, 01:31 PM
I didn't have a bad experience which made me switch. In fact I still use my Windows laptop daily. I bought a Mac so I could run Final Cut/Motion/DVD Studio Pro.

Eraserhead
May 4, 2006, 01:32 PM
He doesn't say, but if he used an previously installed OEM (e.g. Dell) provided license, these cannot legally be transferred to another machine. Only retail, full packaged product, can be transferred.

B
No way, that is simply *NOT* true, I have spoken to senior people at MS about it (I wanted to sell my copy of XP Upgrade on eBay, and included SP2 for convenience, that breaks a licence agreement so I had to sell without in the end, anyway they said you *ARE* allowed to sell *any* copy of Windows (even OEM) as long as you sell everything (including the manuals and COA etc. etc.))

Call MS (for free if possible) to activate and ask why you cannot use the OEM, eventually if you waste some time on the phone they'll let you do it.

Basically they have to let you activate it.

SC68Cal
May 4, 2006, 01:41 PM
Windows had nothing to do with me moving to OS X. I wanted a UNIX laptop that just worked. At the time Linux notebook support was crap, so here I am.

Ubuntu is pretty good, but it's still such a pain in the ass trying to install stuff. Frankly, I didn't have a reliable package source to download from, out of the box. I was like, I'd rather have Windows that I can get software for instead of messing around with config files trying to find somewhere to download RPMs.

SC68Cal
May 4, 2006, 01:43 PM
The real question is: how easy is it to do it?

Ever tried setting up a colour-managed pre-press workflow in Windows? Or using ligatures in fonts?

It's more of a question of how many times you feel like seeing a blue screen of death while you're trying to get things done. I'm dead serious, in our Tech Center there is at least one Dell machine that is sitting there with a BSOD at all times.

akino
May 4, 2006, 01:48 PM
I just switched with a purchase of a MBP (my dream machine), primarily because of final cut... But i was hesistant to make the switch, thinking it would be imposssible for me to get used to mac after using windows for half my life. But i got tired of the viruses, the crashes, and the fact that i had to to keep it healthy just for my machine to work decent... i eventually gave up after getting blue screen of death and then i kicked my desktop (literally), and it never went on again. Windows has that way of degrating after a while, which pisses me off... i recently rebuilt my desktop for my dad to use, it gave me the chills just working on it... mac user for life now...

akino

Psycho Therapis
May 4, 2006, 02:29 PM
I switched because of OS X, rather than because I hated Windows. I didn't completely "switch" however, since I still have PC's in my collection and only recently built another PC, but my PowerMac G5 is my main system now.

1 year ago I had a room with 7 PC's & 2 Mac's. Now that same room has 7 Mac's & 2 PC's. A complete reversal. :D

Waiting4MacBook
May 4, 2006, 02:31 PM
I actually decided to switch before I had this problem but it was horrible anyway. I got the printer that I bought with my MBP and tried to install it on my roommate's less-than-a-month-old Gateway. First I was greeted by a "High Risk" warning that something was trying to create a DNS Server. Thinking it must be part of the installation, I clicked allow. After that "Windows Installer" decided to open up and put up a screen telling me my Product Key for MS Word was invalid and that I needed to enter it again. WHAT? Why the hell is this happening while I don't even have Word or anything besides the Canon installation program open. My roommate never got the CD's for MS Word as the PC was a shelf unit sold "as is", so I couldn't even get the Product Key. Long story short(er), the printer never got installed on the Windows machine and the thing still asks for the MS Word Product Key every 3 mins. When I got my MBP and QUICKLY installed the same printer with the same software, my roommate immediately decided to get a Mac. :)

TheSailerMan
May 4, 2006, 07:47 PM
Ah, the days of a Windows PC...
I loved Windows XP for a while, then I took an Advertising Design class in 9th grade, where we worked exclusively on PowerMac G4s.
After that, I began to notice all the things that made Windows annoying, such as:

1) The "Unused Desktop Icons" folder, which just took up space on the desktop!

2) I couldn't delete the "My eBooks" folder in "My Documents," or rather, I would delete it, but it would be back next time I opened "My Documents."

3) I was denied access to some of my Photoshop Elements files with an error stating that I didn't have the proper permissions or whatever Windows says. Yet I had an Administrator account!

4) My little brother kept (and still does) blaming me for putting viruses on his laptop, yet I didn't have any on mine (he's since bought an iBook G4).

5) Though I uninstall a program using "Add/Remove Programs," it's still there!

Since, I really wanted a Mac, but they were too expensive for my tastes, at least until the release of the Mac mini, which I got one year and 5 days ago!

Though I sometimes miss playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, my mini has been much more productive for me than my Windows PC ever was.

inmotion
May 4, 2006, 08:20 PM
when i realised i could reinstall windows (which means having to reformat the whole HD, thank you. MS) in my sleep i realise i had a problem....

currently running osx86 awaiting macbook.... well i guess that still counts as switching ?

PS: Haven't booted XP since february 16th 06 and dont plan to anytime soon :p

wonga1127
May 4, 2006, 10:27 PM
Having problems with IE6 that, as it is so deeply buried in the OS, would cause the whole computer to hang. Sometimes the only indication would be that the clock had stopped updating. No errors, logs, no solution. To make matters worse, after replacing IE6 with the awful IE7 Beta 2 (it was a last resort) the Fingerprint Reader on Microsofts own keyboard was no longer compatible. Uninstalls and reinstalls of IE6 followed.
Hey, I tried that, but the uninstall always froze on "Updating Registry..." WHat do you do when Windows locks up? CUt the power (BAD IDEA). I had no choice, the damn power button was unreponsive, and the start button was unreponsive, so i hit the on/off switch on my surge protector. Booted up to squiggly lines for a desktop, half my icons missing, and nasty crap. (Apparently, the display driver "stopped" working, the rest was from the botched registry update). The answer? Clean install of Xpee. What a great waste of a weekend.

truz
May 5, 2006, 02:09 AM
crashing, blue screens, random restarts, viruses, spyware, random file corruption, os reload every 2-6 weeks. need I say more?

svalbard
May 5, 2006, 06:00 AM
Funny, it's not been any of the obvious reasons for me. For whatever reason the Mac environment seems much more in tune with the way I work (and to a lesser extent, play). It seems to get in my face less. It's kind of the same difference as say buying a Cowon iAudio X5 MP3 player versus an iPod... the iPod just works the way I want it to do, and that makes all the difference in the world. The same goes for the Mac vs PC argument.

I have/had properly maintained Windows systems and suffer none of the viruses, spam, crashes, etc that the Apple faithful goes on about. My main desktops have been as reliable as a computer can generally be expected to be. It's just that compared to the Mac working environment, the Windows environment gets in my way more. I'm now very happy having made part of 'the switch'.

My work hurdles regarding Windows reliance has been totally overcome. Ironically it's my home set-up, and the fact that I'm a bit of an audio nut, which is making the Mac transition difficult for entertainment purposes. I'm busily scratching my head trying to sort them out. Once I do, it's going to be Apple all the way... or at least, until they drop the ball once again ;)

princealfie
May 5, 2006, 10:13 AM
2 photo hard drive got corrupted by using a windows xp machine. Had to pay like 300 total for repairs... very much never again!

Timepass
May 5, 2006, 10:34 AM
No way, that is simply *NOT* true, I have spoken to senior people at MS about it (I wanted to sell my copy of XP Upgrade on eBay, and included SP2 for convenience, that breaks a licence agreement so I had to sell without in the end, anyway they said you *ARE* allowed to sell *any* copy of Windows (even OEM) as long as you sell everything (including the manuals and COA etc. etc.))

Call MS (for free if possible) to activate and ask why you cannot use the OEM, eventually if you waste some time on the phone they'll let you do it.

Basically they have to let you activate it.

true but the diffence bettween OEM and the others is you can sell an OEM copy of Windows XP as long as it not been installed on a computer. An OEM licensen CAN NOT be tranfered to another computer plan and simple. If you dont believe me go read tne ELUA on OEM verson of XP.

grapes911
May 5, 2006, 10:36 AM
true but the diffence bettween OEM and the others is you can sell an OEM copy of Windows XP as long as it not been installed on a computer. An OEM licensen CAN NOT be tranfered to another computer plan and simple. If you dont believe me go read tne ELUA on OEM verson of XP.
In case you wanted someone/something to back you up:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Eraserhead
May 5, 2006, 10:40 AM
In case you wanted someone/something to back you up:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx
Shows the wonders of Microsoft technical support, i'm sure they said you could transfer it (Which i was suprised by) but that page is clearly correct :rolleyes: (unless they aren't allowed to stop you transferring it in the UK, which is also possible...)

Dillenger
May 5, 2006, 11:14 AM
The first day it booted up, just kidding. I had it with VIRUSES, even though I was running AVG Anti-Virus, and Sygate Personal Firewall.

iEugene
May 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
Honestly I would say that it's just Windows in general. I am a sucker for things that look good, I shall admit that, and Mac's are just SO SIMPLE, I couldn't believe it.

Attonine
May 5, 2006, 05:08 PM
It`s nice to see that I am not the only one who is forever having to do clean installs of XP. I have never been able to keep it running for more than 6 months without having to do a clean install, for a variety of reasons.

Currently, on 2 machines running XP pro, firefox will not open, I have to re-boot in order to get it to open, which it does once or twice and then refuses until the next re-boot. Can`t find a fix that works on the mozilla site.

On one of these machines, I can`t install Visual Studio, I can do all the pre-requisites, but then the installer gives me some command line error which I can`t find a reference to on the microsoft website.

Then, of course, there is the forever on-going problems with automatic updates once SP2 has been installed.

One PC is a laptop, I am using Windows Defender on it, which will update when the laptop is connected to my office LAN, but not from a dial-up connection in my appartment.

About 9 months ago I lost everything on the laptop C: drive (fortunately I also have an external drive which has everything stored on) because of an issue with Norton GoBack. Somehow something got corrupted and the PC wouldn`t boot, I couldn`t switch GoBAck off and the C: drive became PHYSICALLY damaged, yes PHYSICALLY. I had to replace the drive....and reinstall of course!

Oh, and the laptop takes forever to boot, no idea why, I have switched off everything I can.

However, I have never had any Spyware or Virus problems, but I have always used an antivirus and antispyware software.

Oh, I have to use windows on my office machine and almost impossible to buy mac here in Saudi, before you ask. I also have a 855mhz (I think) powerbook which will be upgraded as soon as everything I need is UB.

sam10685
May 5, 2006, 06:34 PM
i switched because i had to get another PC almost every 2 years exactly. plus, i kept getting viruses and spyware - the whole world probably knows what i was typing at this time 4 years ago. also, the pop-up ads were unbelievable. i also wanted to see if Mac OSX was really so easy. it is. now, i've had the same Powerbook G4 for almost 3 years now. no problems except for an over-heated hard drive. because it was really hot out. and i forgot to turn on the A/C. been fine ever since. :):):)

strydr
May 5, 2006, 07:04 PM
*preface*
my parents got divorced when I was 1. My dad has always done the opposite of my mom.

Well, my mom bought me a Mac Plus in 1986. Loved it.
To counter her actions, my dad (and I) built a PC. Windows 3.11 (for workgroups) was my first Windows OS.
I used the PC for games (Wolfenstien), and the Mac for productivity (school work). I convinced my mom to replace the Plus with a IICI, then, later, a Power Computing clone. Later, she bought a G4 PM. Last month, I replaced her G4 with my old Mini( so I could buy a Intel Mini).
The lowly PC was discarded many years ago, but I still have some PC's. I used to work for a PC manufacturer (white boxes), so I have a TON of PC hardware.. Was too cheap to give up, so I have several PC's still. Besides that, I need them to access some customers, and to try out new software, before rolling it out company-wide..
I bought my first mac (with my own $$) 3+ years ago (my PB), and will never go back. Now, with Boot Camp, I am considering selling the remander of my PC's.

Back on topic. I cringe every time I have to use windows. Too many years spent fixing stuff/reloading the OS/data loss. I have a Dell laptop (for work)- 3/4 of the time I try to sleep it, it dosen't work. I have to shut it down with force. My PB??, well, it's never been off, unless I let the battery run down completely. Just close the lid, and put it away. I agree that a well maintained PC will work without incident, but who want's to maintain their PC?? I much rather come home knowing my iMac will have the lights on for me, and know when I'm home (bluetooth is great). It just works. End of story.

zorg
May 5, 2006, 08:11 PM
Also macs are easier to work with.

mikes63737
May 6, 2006, 09:24 PM
Windows XP was very unreliable and way too many security holes. I remember once I was showing my parents something I made and I got a Messenger service message and there was a letter drawing of a naked woman. Obviously, since my parents are computer illiterate I got "banned" from my computer (which I bought with my own money) for i think a month.

I was also working on a HUGE project for school and I burned it onto a CD when it was almost done. The Windows CD thing crashed :( (and didn't tell me, so I thought it just finished) so I thought I had it backed up. The next day, Windows crashed (AOHell related) and I lost the damn project. Luckily I still had a few days to finish, and I worked my ass off and I got a B-. Better than nothing, at least.

alep85
May 7, 2006, 01:16 AM
Bought a custom HP zv5000 notebook for freshmen year of college. Loved it, even though XP sucks balls. Then, one day, my login screen (winlogon.exe) got corrupted when I turned it on, and the computer would REFUSE to log me in. I was so pissed I didn't even think to back up my music and files via a Bootable Linux CD or Windows Rescue, I just sold the damn thing and pre-ordered one of the first gen iMac G5's. Haven't looked back since.

steelfist
May 7, 2006, 08:05 AM
i switched after i lost all 60 gb of data on my computer, because the HD died, so i learned to use a mac, and backup everyday. warrenties and insurance do help.

dpaanlka
May 7, 2006, 02:32 PM
i switched after i lost all 60 gb of data on my computer, because the HD died, so i learned to use a mac, and backup everyday. warrenties and insurance do help.

that can happen on any computer, you know. macs too

always back up important data now and then

Dr_Maybe
May 8, 2006, 03:49 AM
I needed unix for development. And Linux is just too "beta", ugly and geeky.

It just works. The hardware, the drivers, the OS, the GUI.

Windows drivers for PC hardware usually come with a program that runs all the time and have a little icon in the taskbar (the mini taskbar, I forgot what it's called). Takes up resources. The interfaces are confusing and doesn't always work. The OS X interface is more streamlined. You aren't met with a completely different type of interface, just because you are dealing with wireless or sound.

The interface in Windows is just unfriendly. Simple things like error messages. It doesn't feel as well designed. A legacy system that's too brittle. The security in Windows is appauling.

jimN
May 8, 2006, 04:18 AM
Not so much a windows problem as a sony one. My vaio dvd drive stopped playing dvd's and then wouldn't burn cds within 1 year of buying the machine. I sent it back to sony for a repair under warranty and was then told that the repair bill would run close to 400 pounds - apparantly the dc in was broken and this had to be due to accidental damage and therefore wouldn't be covered and would require replacement of the old mainboard. After numerous calls to their servicing department I established that I couldn't get the machine upgraded in any way and that the machine was in good working order but at any point it could fail completely and would likely be exacerbated by plugging it in and unplugging it.

I resolved to buy a new machine and my girlfriend said let's get an apple, they look nice. So after a little research on the apple site we went to PC world and, before I had even started my new job, they gave me a new computer entirely on credit. I went for the powerbook largely because i preferred the look (although it was quicker and had better options for expansion). Now my girlfriend is waiting to see if she'll be buying her own mac this weekend (assuming that we see something exciting tomorrow).

janey
May 8, 2006, 05:02 AM
Switch? Huh? I just add..
I still use Windows regularly and have no complaints about it. I like my Linux too, no matter how ""beta", ugly and geeky" it may be.

nukiduz
May 8, 2006, 05:23 AM
i know it's not a windows issue but once my cd drive literally ate my baldur's gate CD 1. i put it in to play and it didn't work; then i took it out and it was broken in two parts and lots of small pieces around them, as they were crumbs. :confused: :mad:

MacSA
May 8, 2006, 06:07 AM
By 11.45 am this morning, my Win ME PC has crashed 3 times.

janey
May 8, 2006, 06:08 AM
By 11.45 am this morning, my Win ME PC has crashed 3 times.
That's also noted as being one of the worst OS versions in existence.

Try 2k, XP or Server 2003 :) Much better, more reliable. Millennium feels like a halfassed try to get something out there to go between (better) releases.

Uma888
May 8, 2006, 06:17 AM
Having to wait 20 mins to startup, then another 20 mins for a "quick" virus/spywear check, then BSOD (FAULT_IN_NOPAGED_AREA) caused by faulty RAM (Which works fine in Linux), restart, repeat, hopefully with no BSOD

I miss OS X

MacSA
May 8, 2006, 06:29 AM
That's also noted as being one of the worst OS versions in existence.

Try 2k, XP or Server 2003 :) Much better, more reliable. Millennium feels like a halfassed try to get something out there to go between (better) releases.

Well i've been using it since Jan 2001 :eek: But should be switching to Mac soon.

^squirrel^
May 8, 2006, 06:48 AM
Having to wait for Vista and having the release date put back about 300 times!

I have had enough!

DevilsRejection
May 8, 2006, 06:54 AM
Having to wait for Vista and having the release date put back about 300 times!

I have had enough!

That's my main reason, I have no issues with XP it's just 10.4 has such a rich feature set I want something better. XP has treated me very nice, if you're a responsible user then it will preform flawlessly for you.

Tired of people insulting XP, most of the problems people have with it are USER ERROR. People install crap and go to horrible websites and then blame the OS for their spyware and malware issues. Sure it's an outdated OS, and that's the sole reason I'm switching. When I read Vista delayed to 2007 I was like... Screw This!

ajbrehm
May 8, 2006, 08:24 AM
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

~Steve Jobs

Huh?

XForge
May 8, 2006, 09:04 AM
I switched when my Windows browser was hijacked and it took me, I'm not joking, FOUR DAYS working ~3 hours a day to get all the crapware off the machine - and the browser STILL doesn't work right!! And I'm not one of those clueless users either, I was studying for an MCSE at the time. I had to switch to Firefox just to get a usable browser. And I had to add a firewall, even though my router has one, and that box is still running AdAware AND SpyBot AND of course SAV10. I still turn it on once in a blue moon to laugh at it.

XForge
May 8, 2006, 09:33 AM
1) The "Unused Desktop Icons" folder, which just took up space on the desktop!

That "Unused Icon Wizard" makes me want to go all stabby on things. EVERY time I log onto ANY machine on the ENTIRE corporate network, that stupid robot asks me if I want to clean up "unused" desktop icons. Dude, I've NEVER USED THIS MACHINE, why would I care what icons there are?

MatthiasC
May 8, 2006, 09:46 AM
I switched from Mac to PC (becuase of a course I did in my last year at school) but now I'm happily back with the Mac and I don't think I ever even want to even consider going back.

Security was a reason why i switched back to Macs and of course I couldn't have more than one app running at the same time becuase the computer would just give up on me and would crash or just go really really slow.

Also I was fed up with little assistants telling me what I should be doing?!? What's that all about? I want a computer that does what I want it to do not what it thinks I should do. Hours of fun closing silly little paper clipped assistants in Office.

gerbilbox
May 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
To give a little background, my first computer was a DOS system in 1990, and I started using Windows a few years after that. I had learned to reformat/reinstall, troubleshoot driver conflicts, etc. This wasn't because I enjoyed it, although I can enjoy the tinkering if it wasn't something that *needed* to be fixed. Things needed to be fixed just to use the computer properly, and over time I got really sick of it.

But what really pushed me over was a mother/logic board upgrade. The old one had died, so I was forced to buy a new one. Right before that failure I was using Windows 2000 successfully for a few months, eventhough it was still Windows and had many Windows flaws it was fairly stable and allowed me to be more productive.

When I upgraded to a new board to replace the broken one, I could not run or install Windows 2000. I tried many things to get it to work, but I wouldn't install. This forced me back to the horribly unstable and barely usable Windows 98. Using Windows 98 again made me decide that as soon as I could save enough money I would buy a Mac. Late that year (Dec. 2002) I bought a PowerBook G4.

Since then I've never looked back, my machine still runs flawlessly except that I recently been using more processor extensive programs.

But if the old motherboard hadn't had died, I would have still been using Windows 2000, which would have delayed my Mac purchase. Up to the time I switched, I had not had a virus on my Windows machine for many years, perhaps because I never used Internet Explorer or Outlook.

I've also tried Linux, but it was a pain to install and setup. I'm more than confident that it's a stable OS and if I spent the time on it I could have gotten it going, but I didn't have the time nor did I want to (burned from using Windows).

Gurutech
May 8, 2006, 12:54 PM
Actually, I wasn't getting any serious issues with my Windows XP machine.

Of course, I was doing all the mandatory things to keep it operational.
I got frustrated by doing all the things.. (virus check, spyware, adware, registry cleaning, etc), I wanted to try different platform.
Linux wasn't appealing to me.
And since many students in CS department use macs, getting advices and tips from them was a lot easier.

I still have to use Windows, and now, my macbook satisfies my need perfectly.
Mac OS X is highly reliable, and dependable. I do all the out of class activities on Mac OS, and school works (yes, unfortunately, being an EE major, most of the programs work only in widnwos) are done on Windows.

mikes63737
Jul 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
I just remembered another reason...on my IBM craptop Windows 2000 installed an update while I was working on a huge thing, I saved it, and relied on Autosave in Word to save it every 10 minutes. Well, at 9 minutes, my computer suddenly shuts off, and after a 30 minute long reboot, it starts up, and I get a bubble telling me that "Windows has rebooted automatically to install a critical security update".

Oh, ya, and when I was shutting my computer down, I kept getting popups that said "The memory could not be 'read'" and it kept cancelling my shutdown.

Kaioshin
Jul 29, 2006, 08:01 AM
There was never really one single incident that caused me to switch.

For a long time I was switching back and forth between Windows and Linux, but the only reason I didn't continue using Linux was lack of hardware support. It was the hyperlegal version of OS X that was cracked to work on normal x86 computers (no, it didn't work too well) that made me switch. I used Macs at work, too, so I had at least some experience, but using it at home, exporing it for the very first time... Even though most of the hardware didn't work it was a neat experience.

The last straw was when my last computer's hard drive got destroyed, but Windows wasn't to blame for that, I have to be honest about that. Since I would have upgraded my PC anyway, I took the opportunity and got an iMac.

...and later the MacBook Pro.

SwitchedBack2XP
Jul 29, 2006, 09:39 AM
I switched out of sheer curioustiy.

3 months later i switched back due to many small quirks that just drove me insane, and the finder is down right horrible. when you spend as much time as i do moving files around then you realize the limitations of the finder very very very fast. the first hour i owned a mac i was fuming there wasn't a cut commad nor was i able to switch between folders using the back and forward buttons of my mouse like i can in explorer.

why am i still on these boards? because i'm very curious to see what 10.5 has to offer, and i want to buy a mac mini for my HTPC

if 10.5 isn't all that then i'll just get vista

windows has never been bad to me, i mean the one thing that sucks about windows really is you have to reformat atleast once a year if you want your box to be snappy still. that's the one thing that sucks horribly. but besides that, i get no viruses or spyware since i have astronomical levels of common sense! something that i can't say for the average windows user ::grumbles::

aaron.lee2006
Jul 29, 2006, 09:43 AM
My PC fan would turn on every 2 minutes while playing a game, so i tried to clean it out it stopped for one miniute then it started up again. Then my graphics card like broke so it would click every secon. So I went to school and used some eMacs with Tiger and I was amazed :) So I saved for six months and now I am typing this with a MacBook Pro.

SwitchedBack2XP
Jul 29, 2006, 09:44 AM
My PC fan would turn on every 2 minutes while playing a game, so i tried to clean it out it stopped for one miniute then it started up again. Then my graphics card like broke so it would click every secon. So I went to school and used some eMacs with Tiger and I was amazed :) So I saved for six months and now I am typing this with a MacBook Pro.

that's called hardware failure, not windows failure

fans speed up when you game because you're using more of your machines horsepower so it has to loose all that heat.

use any processor intensive app on any mac and watch the fans turn on faster.

ricksbrain
Jul 29, 2006, 10:05 AM
In 1997, lightning fried my pc. God made me switch. He was right. Who'd a thunk it? :D

dsnort
Jul 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
I bought a desktop in the early 2000's, with one of the first copies of XP home, pre SP1. ( Anyone remember the Windows Messenger debacle? ) After fighting with that OS for several years, (a fight that ended with it slowly eating itself, loosing function after function with System Restore being first to go), I decided there had to be something better out there. I bought an iMac 20" core duo in january. I had forgot how much fun a computer can be. What a vastly superior computing experience! I'll never go back!

jaxstate
Jul 29, 2006, 10:28 AM
Funny thing. I didn't switch because I disliked Windows, I still use it everyday. What really made me switch is when I was talking to some buddies about getting a new computer, and I tossed out the idea of getting a Mac. Their response were something like "why get a Mac, Apple's going to be out of business in a few years. They don't have any software for it." These comment peaked my intrest and I did some research. And after I saw the iMac G4, I was hooked.:)

Navintar
Jul 29, 2006, 11:20 AM
I made a switch in the summer of last year. I always liked my toshiba laptop but since my girlfriend went to film school and bought a mac I had a chance to try it out. Since she also liked to ask me about how to do things on her new mac, inevitably I had to learn it.

And I was hooked ever since!

The decision to buy my own mac came right after having this stupid problem I always had with toolbar keeps disappearing. I'm not sure if anyone have had the same problem but it did happen to me twice. There was no way I could fix it so I reinstalled the OS, knowing later that there was a patch written, not by microsoft, specifically to fix this issue. I understood that it has something to do with the antivirus program I use.

Now when it happened the second time, annoyed I was, but I knew exactly what to do. Unfortunately, it turned out that I downloaded a wrong patch because the right one doesn't have a virus in it!

I usually do normal system maintanance and am very cautious to open any unknown file. But understanding that I have no choice other than reinstalling everything I was willing to take that risk. To no surprise my computer was infected with 10 different viruses that day.

I realized that using windows will keep me in this endless cycle of problems. Going from one thing, you will get another. Using my antivirus software gives me this problem. Trying to fix this problem gives me virus and if there is no viruses I would never have to use that software in the first place!

So I went to apple store and bought my first imac.

drummerbooker14
Jul 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
mine was that windows gave me a lots of spyware. it ran super slow. so i reformatted it and it happened again. oh, and i realized that the macs that i have been using were som uch better

Sesshi
Jul 29, 2006, 01:47 PM
No real reliability issues at all. If anything, the Windows software/hardware is more reliable in my experience. My 'back end' is still all Windows Server.

I moved to Macs because I'm not a gamer and that was the only thing I figured I'd be missing out on while enjoying just the more personally productive OS X interface and the way that little things in terms of the way a computer or software works are thought out better on the Mac. As a result, you end the day in front of a computer feeling not too bad because there aren't a hundred tiny little annoyances throughout a working day such as in Windows, even if you're a very experienced user. Thing is unless you actually try a Mac in-depth, you'll never know that you're suffering these tiny little annoyances and how good it feels to get rid of them.

Boot Camp and Parallels was certainly not the reason for moving. I am not moving to a Mac to run Windows in any way. Both are installed on some of my Macs but I have not used the Windows environments at all - there just has not been any need.

I think that everything they say in the current round of ads is BS. Macs definitely aren't more reliable, and they crash more often (I mean once a week, as opposed to once every three to six months on my properly maintained WinXP machines). But Apple never really seem to get across the real point of switching, which is the elegance of the OS. It's all lost in the hip smugness that I find intensely irritating about the Apple image. Despite the abysmal hardware reliability to date, I've worked around those issues and am still curiously happy about the move to Mac.

aaronb
Jul 29, 2006, 03:36 PM
Here's why I WILL switch:

We own a few computers (all Dell's, go figure...). In A SINGLE WEEK, we receive a virus and try formatting our desktop computer. It is quite troubling to format your hard drive when both of the disk drives don't work for some reason. So, about 6 boot disks were gone through trying to figure it out. I tried to use my Dell laptop to copy a CD to use on the broken one and my laptop's disk drive magically breaks and does not eject.

4 days, 13 headaches, 1 broken disk drive later, we have a newly formatted Windows XP computer with only one of the disk drives working and a constant boot up reminder about the other one not working.

Not to mention the formatted computer does not stop asking us to activate Windows. I have entered the serial number 4 different times and have even called the telephone number they gave us. I was put on hold for a good 5-7 minutes. When someone picked up, they either did not answer or they did not talk loud enough for me to hear.

I am done with Windows. I am done with Dell. MacBook Pro Merom's, please come out soon so I can get out of here.

BoyBach
Jul 29, 2006, 03:58 PM
Despite having two firewalls, up-to-date anti-virus software and two anti-spyware programmes, and being extremely careful whenever online (only ever using Mozilla), my PC got hacked and I had just over £100 stolen from bank account, resulting in my debit card being frozen :mad:

I had to borrow some money from my parents for a few days, whilst my Bank stopped the transactions, refunded the money and sent me new cards. I then "cleaned-up" my computer once more, changed all of my passwords and usernames at Amazon & eBay, etc (just to be safe) and ordered an iMac as soon as my new card arrived, turned off my laptop PC, put it in its bag and it's never been turned on since.

That was October last year!

p.s. unfortunately I still have to use Windows everyday in work :rolleyes:

Bern
Jul 29, 2006, 04:14 PM
I've never owned a windows machine, but have used them over the years of course. I've been a Mac owner since the 80's and whenever I've had to use a windows machine I could never understand what all the fuss was about regarding MS OS's.

Word and Excel were the only MS apps I ever used because they were designed for use on Macs, but the iteration of pc's saw these two potentially greats apps slide into bloatware.

Every time I used a pc or saw someone using one and it would crash midway through performing some task the user would say "Oh that happens from time to time, just hit the power button to shut down and restart" I would be dumb founded that people thought this was a normal and acceptable result of using a computer.

Endless virus scans, defragmentation, scouring the hdd to delete unwanted software, force quit, restart and so on. I just don't get it.

generik
Jul 29, 2006, 05:52 PM

Amazon S3 Storage > Any insurance

david06
Jul 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
None. I've had far more moments when I wanted to toss my MBP out a window that when I wanted to toss my PC out the window, and if someone offered me a direct trade of my MBP for a Thinkpad T60p now, it'd be a hard choice, but I'd probably take it. I just wanted to try something different, I guess. Or maybe I should say "see what current Macs are like" because I used a pre-OS X mac for a long time before I ever seriously started using PCs. I have had my Macbook Pro since March, and while it's not a bad system (OS and hardware), I don't really understand the hype. It's doing most of what I want, but I suspect when it's time for a new computer, it'll be a Windows machine again. Maybe in 3-4 years though when it's that time Macs will have gained enough market share to yield increased software availability, or something like WINE will be available, and I'll consider getting another one.

Shadow
Jul 29, 2006, 06:31 PM
Well, as we speak I am re-installing OS X for the 3rd time this week-and I have no idea why. My Mac needs to be perfect"
Anywho, there isnt a single definative moment when I thought I should get a Mac-its just the need to reinstall XP every few weeks (sometimes every few days), constant updates (OK, updates are in OS X to but they arnt always "critical"-XP practically forces you to install them), internet simply deciding not to work every few days, spyware, malware, adware, viruses, NORTON, "helpful" ballon-alert things (which are crappy attempts at infecting yet more error messages across the system-like there isnt enough already!), the speed (even with my fairly new 3GHz P4, its not blazingly fast).

But the main thing is does it work. This is exactly what Apple is saying-a computer is ment to make your life easier, not bombarding you with error messages, "You need to update your system", ect.

P.S. I once found a file in Windows XP called "getmac.exe". Seriously!

Mikael
Jul 29, 2006, 06:35 PM
I've been using WindowsXP since about a year after it came out. For some reason, it has worked extremely well on all the machines I've had and maintained during the past few years. I actually can't remember the last time I had the OS crash due to something not related to overclocking or hardware problems. During this time I have had XP installed on atleast four of my own machines and a few other machines in the house, plus four machines at work.

Reading the posts in this thread, it is obvious that many of the problems come from faulty hardware. For example, a machine crashing repeatedly during Photoshop is almost guaranteed to be a hardware problem, if the PC isn't infected with some funky malware. It's been my experience that a Windows machine that's free from malware and running bug free drivers and programs is very stable. Some might say that keeping it virus free is impossible, but I seem to be able to do it even without any antivirus program, so it can't be that hard.

Due to these things, I haven't actually switched yet. I'm reading this site and debating whether I should go for a Mac the next time I buy a computer. There are basically three things that might keep me from going the Mac route:

- Expensive hardware
- Limited ability to upgrade
- No reasonably priced mid-tower

There's simply no way that I'm paying a grand extra (or even more) for a Mac when I can get a PC that does the job just as well. I would like to have OSX, but from a pure productivity standpoint, Windows will serve me just as well. Unlike what most switchers here have experienced, I can actually keep a Windows install fresh and virus free for years. And with next to no effort. So, even though I'd rather have OSX (because it still is the better OS), I am not going to shell out all those extra dollars for that.

So, as you can see, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. :)

Killyp
Jul 29, 2006, 06:38 PM
There were quite a few things that made me move to Mac, and it wasn't JUST the Windows Operating system.

Firstly, I used my PC as a studio computer, and it popped and crackled when recording, which is pretty damn useless. I later found out it was because I was running two hard drives on the same IDE channel. Windows doesn't like that apparently....

I had to reinstall XP numerous times over the 2 years I used the PC (it's in storage for the time being).

I lost all my data 5 times. Never due to a hardware failure.

I couldn't install Cubase and games on the same machine. The Windows registry didn't allow for such things. I used to get loads of conflicts...

The fact that my PC was HUGE, looked fugly, and was as noisy as having a 5 year old in a box under my desk also helped me switch to Mac.

I also don't like giving money to M$, they get up to far too many really childish and dirty tricks IMO...

drake
Jul 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
Haven't actually "switched", I just bought a Macbook. But one thing that most irritated me about Microsoft is their activation, validation schemes. That's what first made me consider buying a Mac.

nickelbackmac
Jul 29, 2006, 09:09 PM
"Windows has just recovered from a fatal error" . Wondered when it was actually going to DIE!!!!! :rolleyes: . My old system did that and started smoking and Dell replaced it with a nice Dimension E310 and even though it may be a PC, it runs smoothly and I'm ready to mod it :D !

bembol
Jul 29, 2006, 11:59 PM
Nothing too serious...I would have to say Spyware...slowed my Dell Dimension 8100...after checking out the new Tiger OSX at the Apple Store...I was sold...then again I wanted to try Apple...!!!

I switched/picked up the 1.42GHz Power PC Mac Mini last year...I recently sold it because I'm hooked on Mac's...upgraded to the Intel Core Duo's...!!!

Student Discounts

20" iMac with 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HD
13.3 Mac Book "Ultimate" Yorkdale (Apple Store) Student Special with 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD...got the 2GB White Nano and Apple Care...!!!

Silentwave
Jul 30, 2006, 12:06 AM
Well, apart from pressing the on button, probably the time that I got my HP back from BestBuy's 'platinum' service. After a month of them not even looking at it (despite the 1 week guarantee) and another month of waiting for the thing to get fixed (as fixed as they get anyways) I got a computer back wiped without the backup i'd PAID for. They naturally only installed XP SP1 on it, and left it up to me to do SP2. Well I got home, hooked in to my 'net, and after a while managed to get that much running (i'd say a solid hour to get it stable and online).

Well, during my excursion to the WINDOWS UPDATE site I managed to pick up more than a few viruses and spyware apps. I was puzzled by my inability to install SP2. By the time I installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite and the various antispyware apps I also used, I had no less than 200 of each, according to the counts. Among the ones that showed up just from the outing to Windows Update were ones that...you guessed it...prevented the computer from recognizing the SP2 update.

It took me almost 3 weeks DURING the school year ( I was supposed to have it back over a month before school started) to get the thing stable enough for proper use.

After that my course was clear: start saving for my switch. About that time Stevie announces the Intel switch, so I prioritized and got a new camera and lens or two, and started counting my pennies for an intel mac. Things were not going well there until my HP broke and I was finally able to convince my higher-ups (read: parents) to let me get my mac.

d wade
Jul 30, 2006, 12:06 AM
the blue screen of death just too many times. couldnt take it anymore. apple has saved my life

SwitchedBack2XP
Jul 30, 2006, 01:11 AM
I must have the midas touch because I don't get viruses or spyware or bluescreens ...

Maybe because Mac's require so little common sense to use that's why they're popular.

I mean Windows is more complicated in the sense that it requires you to think about what you're doing because you can mess up the system pretty bad in only 5 minutes if you're a retard.

I'm eagerly awaiting 10.5 to see if I want to switch back to Mac, but right now I think I'm just going to wait for 10.5 and Vista to come out. Someone will do a mega comparison I'm sure.

EternalTL2k3
Jul 30, 2006, 03:21 PM
windows specific experiences have been the constant blue screens for no apparent reasons, the viruses and malware on my computer

dell specific was that as my laptop came out of its warranty everything went to hell. my fans stopped working so the computer would overheat and then shut down (had to get an app to keep them on all the time). Then my screen went blank so I figured that had to do with the video card so replaced that and it worked fine for a week before my power button started to give me trouble --- it wouldn't turn on!!!

so i said screw dell and switched to apple and I have been quite happy since I have had it.

mazzy150
Aug 10, 2006, 06:49 PM
i switched because i was bored of widows and having to worry bout spyware and virusses etc.only bad thing is gaming is really bad on macs.I also lovd the sleekness of mac and the speed.

extraextra
Aug 10, 2006, 07:15 PM
Tired of viruses and such.

And I'll admit it, I just wanted everything to look pretty.

atticus1178
Aug 10, 2006, 08:01 PM
One word......Compaq.

mikes63737
Aug 11, 2006, 10:37 AM
One word......Compaq.

Shhh..... don't scare the little children! :eek:

Rapmastac1
Aug 11, 2006, 10:52 AM
Man, some peeps have so many problems with their pcs.
It's not only WIndows, it's the hardware they run it on too, and it's not watchin out what they do and don't install.

I've had my windows machine for a year, and have never had a virus, but have had Spyware once, but I have my own backup scheme so I was alrite, I jus loaded up my backup drive, and I was off, then jus reinstalled Windows on my other drive, and when this drive gets messed up, I go to that one. I'm using my Windows machine now, it's faster than any Mac.

But I had to get a Macbook. We use OSX at school, and I just wanted to make it easier on myself, and I won't want to have to use their slow slow slow iMacs, overloaded with software and underloaded with ram.

But I am very open minded, I still like windows xp (and I use Vista regularly) and I like OSX< tho I like OSX better! ;)

minty-freshness
Aug 11, 2006, 11:03 AM
i have been a windows user all my life.still am. i want to swich, but i have little money.i LOVE the mac experience... i have had to wipe TWO computers before just because of the viruses. they suck. i don't like them. solution? get a mac. :)

7on
Aug 11, 2006, 11:31 AM
I never liked the Windows registry. Plus I never believed in anti-virus. Buying anti-virus for a computer is like buying a car without locks and then these shady looking guys would come up trying to sell me locks. I prefer to buy my cars and computers with locks.

Plus Premiere didn't like antivirus back then P3 800Mhz. So yeah...

bbrosemer
Aug 11, 2006, 11:38 AM
BSOD 3x in a row when making my comp a server...

Hornblower
Aug 11, 2006, 12:00 PM
It sounds like quite a few of the Windows problems come from buying cheap, crappy computers from HP, Dell, etc. What do you expect when your Dell computers have problems, or you HPs? They come loaded down with so much crap on them its ridiculous. There are plenty of good Windows computers out there, that probably have fewer issues then Mac computers.

And yes, you do occasionally have to upgrade drivers on PCs, but usually only for games. And I don't necessarily think that it is a problem. One of the big things holding me back from buying a Mac is the lack of hardware choice. If I could upgrade to newer video cards more frequently on the Mac, or cheaper, it'd be a big win.

OS X is a fantastic operating system. It gives you a lot more out of the box then Windows. iLife, and the built in OS X apps are great. That said, a Windows machine on nice hardware, is pretty stable as well.

Mammoth
Aug 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
That "Unused Icon Wizard" makes me want to go all stabby on things. EVERY time I log onto ANY machine on the ENTIRE corporate network, that stupid robot asks me if I want to clean up "unused" desktop icons. Dude, I've NEVER USED THIS MACHINE, why would I care what icons there are?
I think that damn thing appeard moments after I set up my 2 PC's. :confused:

CyberPrey
Aug 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
It was about 9pm.. I was playing world of warcraft (I do that alot...) (sad but true...) and was in a tight spot in an instance...

Then the disconnect came... and then the crash to the desktop.. and then the blue screen of death....

Power off... Power on...

BSOD....

Troubleshoot, the usual.....

And reinstall....

25 minutes later, I'm having to call microsoft to authorize my reinstall.. AGAIN.... I felt like a criminal as I can't enter the key and have it work over the internet... its about my 30th install of my Windows XP CD..... THEN.. the person on the phone asks me AGAIN... Sir, is this windows XP key installed on 1 or multiple computers? I say..just one... He says "Sir we are showing you have installed this version at least once a week for the last 5 months."... My reply? If your software actually worked and didn't crash or catch viruses or loose data or just decide out of the blue to take a day off, I would never reinstall it."...

At that moment, I realized that I was entirely sick of installing windows all the time.......

The next day, Apple announced the Mac Pro...
The day after that, I ordered one....

And now, I am simply waiting for it to arrive.....

And hopefully, I will set it up ONCE, and never worry about reinstalles or data loss again :)

bbrosemer
Aug 11, 2006, 01:41 PM
It sounds like quite a few of the Windows problems come from buying cheap, crappy computers from HP, Dell, etc. What do you expect when your Dell computers have problems, or you HPs? They come loaded down with so much crap on them its ridiculous. There are plenty of good Windows computers out there, that probably have fewer issues then Mac computers.

And yes, you do occasionally have to upgrade drivers on PCs, but usually only for games. And I don't necessarily think that it is a problem. One of the big things holding me back from buying a Mac is the lack of hardware choice. If I could upgrade to newer video cards more frequently on the Mac, or cheaper, it'd be a big win.

OS X is a fantastic operating system. It gives you a lot more out of the box then Windows. iLife, and the built in OS X apps are great. That said, a Windows machine on nice hardware, is pretty stable as well.Umm no i custom built mymachine and never BSOD other then when i tried to make it a server, Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 4 GB ram that thing kicked ass, but was inherently flawed with windows.

benthewraith
Aug 11, 2006, 01:45 PM
Imagine a computer with $400 of iTunes stuff, digital pictures from every trip for the past three years, and everything else, school papers, thesis papers, saved images, etc, and by chance you happen to go on a cruise. You decide, hey, there's a wireless network nearby (playing Halo! :D), so you go and play Halo with two other people that brought their comps on the cruise too. Then one day, one of the other blokes decides to network in Cozumel, and then, while on said cruise, accidentally transfers a virus that he caught while in Cozumel (his virus blocker prevented it, but stupid ****ing Norton didn't). You can't boot up, repair disk doesn't work, and then finally when you get it to boot, it shows a message saying "Operating System not found". I'm like, fine, so I restart, again, that message (it struck me then that the Operating System really wasn't found. :rolleyes:.) So I reboot again, and when my Dell laptop gets to that screen with that damn blue bar, you hit CTRL+F11, and you go back to factory settings, and relax in knowing you're operating system is now there.

You then immediately get as pissed off as I do to know that idiot had a virus on his computer. :mad: Fortunately, someone else had Norton and we were able to get my computer updated safely and back to playing Halo. But that incident, and the knowledge of that Macbook Pro in my mind, I finally gave in in May.

Let's just say, I got what I wanted. :D

That Windows laptop is now on loan.

shifuimam
Aug 11, 2006, 02:05 PM
I think my final decision to switch (the backwards way) was when OS X 10.3.9 decided to format my 60GB ipod, deleting over 35GB music in one fell swoop...

Fortunately I had a Windows data recovery application that restored at least some of my music; the rest I had to re-rip.

Yeah. I think that did it for me. :p

I've found good uses for OS X, Windows XP, and Linux (Fedora Core 5, Knoppix, and Suse)...so I still haven't been "forced" to switch to anything.

Chone
Aug 11, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hello all :)

Well I've been with Macs for my entire life and I bought a PC to play games (I just got sick of the lack of games in Macs), I started with Windows 2000 and thats where I learned all of the "donts" of Windows, then with WinXP, it was very easy keeping it well, if you know what you are doing you can make Windows XP work like a charm. Now I'm a hardware enthusiast and love building PCs, the kind of love you don't get with Macs. I still own 3 Macs and just one PC but I love my PC just as much as my Mac, it just that I love them for different reasons.

No need to make the switch when you can experience the best of both worlds ;)

JAT
Aug 11, 2006, 04:49 PM
Are you allowed to post here if you've been using Macs since 1984?

I was forced into a Win98 box moving to my current job 7 years ago. Windows crashed almost daily and wouldn't select programs properly. I mean, I would have several programs open, and it would randomly select a different one if I closed one of them, not the last one, not the next one, not the alphabetical next one, who knows what it did. Or it would select nothing, not even the desktop, and the keyboard became useless. (other than CtrlAltDel) Love that, a useless keyboard on a PC. Win2K solved the crashing, dropped it to monthly, but the select app mess still existed. WinXP doesn't crash unless there is a driver conflict, and the select is slightly better. But it is so frickin' ugly I had to redesign the look back to something like Win2K. Can't burn a CD to save my life, either.

I've bought 3 computers myself this decade. Of course, they all say Mac. I still need to get a MBP or similar. If I do, my IT guy might find me working on it instead of this Dell stupidity.

bst
Aug 11, 2006, 05:15 PM
I loved macs way back when....had one since 6th grade...one of the first kids on the block to use a home computer to do my reports (others went to the few computers in the "PC lab")..... Used mac laptops in college and grad school (one was black and white and then upgraded to color screen)....

well, got married, and my then mac laptop couldn't upgrade the modem, and my spouse insisted on getting a Windows box..so we got a gateway back in 1997 with Win 98SE...and never upgraded the OS all these years later...
Well, I finally got sick and tired when even with IE updates still had bad surfing experiences....then my spoouse tried to delete unwanted and old software...by doing so we lost our files (.dll, etc) that supported basic functions....we had to manually shut off our box when we 'shutdown', on startup most times the computer had to go through the 'scanning disc for errors'...not to mention it started to slow down and couldn't handle opening more than a few programs at a time....and then it wouldn't let me use Firefox, one day it just decided to not open it, and never let me use it again...even though i downloaded a new firefox upgrade.....
well i just did it and got a new mac, with a new ipod and printer to boot.(used the edu discount)....
So far, works GREAT I am back in love!!!! BTW, I am now wirless with my laptop!!! I've entered the 21st century

Benjamindaines
Aug 11, 2006, 05:51 PM
I've always used Macs but I have a slightly entertaining story about how I helped my friend switch. I was over his apartment and brought my laptop, turns out he was trying to hop on his neighbour's wireless internet (I didn't know it at the time though). So I sat down at his kitchen table and announced "I'm going to check my email real quick", from the other room I get a "good luck". So I open Internet Connect and Im on his neighbour's connection in all of 20 seconds. My friend walks over and sees me on the internet and is like "WHAT HOW DID YOU DO THAT" I just told him I pressed connect. Then's when he tells me he's been trying to get on for weeks and shows me his mess of a PC setup with this huge wireless antenna sticking out the back. 3 weeks later he had an iMac and his building went free access to all tenants

Jimmieboy
Aug 12, 2006, 12:32 AM
Haha. I've been forced to use windows for too long.

Jimmieboy
Aug 12, 2006, 12:35 AM
Haha. I've been forced to use windows for too long.

Okay to start with I had a computer that needed windows to be re-installed at least every two days. I don't have that one anymore :P

Logging on and then having to restart straight away

Installing a firewall - Had my computer so slow it took about 20 minutes to start up.

Installing windows defender, anti-spy ware and antivirus solutions - Causes the system to die.

Registry errors

Not being able to install/uninstall items.

Enough has been said.

ZoomZoomZoom
Aug 12, 2006, 12:58 AM
Windows XP teletubby mode.

Unforgivable.

the kid 05
Aug 12, 2006, 01:17 AM
3 years with the comp im on now (still waiting for my Mac Pro was sapposta be here yesterday....) but any who...3 years no problems untill two weeks ago when my cousin came over and used it while i was at work...need less to say i think i got all of the 144000 viruses...oh boy was i irritated :mad: threw my mouse threw my wall and then pulled it out only to look for a new computer and my friend said apple was going to be releaseing the Mac Pro soon so i waited..and still am for my MP

xp <---xtra poop

OS X <--- Oh S***

hedonism bot
Aug 12, 2006, 02:40 AM
I used 98SE way too long - until March of last year actually (what can I say - I was a VERY poor college student). I knew what not to download, what sites not to browse, never used IE, P2P, etc. But, then, one day, seemingly with no reason, I started getting all these crazy .dll errors. So...I graduated and got another computer - a Hewlett-Packard which I immediately upgraded to XP Pro. There are a couple things that annoy me - specifically the bloatware (ARGH!) and the annoying update manager - but, really, XP never bothered me and I had no complaints about the build of the HP (actually, having been fortunate enough to previously only use IBM products, Apple's build quality was the only disappointing thing about the switch for me - but nothing compares to a ThinkPad anyway).

I'd used my girlfriend's brother's iBook and liked it, but it was Jaguar on a 500 mhz G3 and it just seemed kinda pokey - but the Intel Mac changed all that for me. I went into CompUSA (no Apple stores here), played around, read a whole bunch of reviews and articles about switching (had a few compability concerns) and then placed my online order.

But, ya know, maybe it's all Hewlett-Packard's fault - at the time, HP & Apple were all buddy-buddy, so, rather than my old standby Winamp, I started using the pre-loaded iTunes program (does iTunes count as bloatware?). I remember being surprised by the sophistication of Apple software. By just how simple and logical everything was - the ease of making playlists, syncing with my Shuffle, the whole drag & drop thing. I don't thing it was the whole settling with "it just works" thing, 'cause Windows worked for me. It was that it worked so well.

n8236
Aug 12, 2006, 07:17 AM
None. I switched because I wanted to expand my knowledge of OSs.

Mac Rules
Aug 12, 2006, 07:28 AM
My worst experiences being my having to reinstall Windows nearly every other month, then watching my resources getting hogged by Norton Anti-virus, AVG Anti-Virus, Norton Firewall, Windows Defender, Spybot, and finally Ad-Aware. I spend at least 2-3 hours per week scanning for everything, then defragging etc IT BORES THE CRAP OUTTA ME!!! I pend more time maintaing it then actually getting work done!

Also, my first PC was in fact a Samsung laptop which worked fine for the first year, then all of a sudden it started being really, really slow on startup. So I sen ti back to comets, and they replaced the RAM and some other things, and guess what...not fixed, so I sent it back only to receive it unfixed each time 5 times in 6months. When I say fixed, I mean they actually did nothing as written on the return summary! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Unfortunatly, a small accident with a cup of coffee meant that it no longer worked and I was covered by warranty and got my desktop.....unfortunatly Comet doesn't do Apple computers...

Oh well....

Cheers

cwedl
Aug 12, 2006, 07:56 AM
i got sick of windows shortly after using OS X and seeing how much better things could be. i knew it was for me immediately. when it was time for a laptop i got a powerbook. now i have an iMac too.
i'll try to keep that windows machine going the best that i can but i don't think i'll buy another PC in this decade. i can't say the same about macs... they are always welcome here. ;)

Same, but I did spend a bit of time researching first almost 6 months, I joined here and asked questions etc.

squirrelonfire
Sep 16, 2006, 09:37 AM
Im sick and tired of having to go to hidden menu to get things done. Like in Windows explorer, I have to go to folder options just to change some setting.
Yet why the hell everything is in the Start menu, why can't they be spread out on a bar like Apple? It's so retarded.
Plus Windows is so unreliable, 1 day it's workign fine, the next day I turned it on, my Search feature doesn't work. I was like "what did i do."
I love WIndows b/c it's my hack box.
I love Mac b/c it's my personal computer.

rtharper
Sep 16, 2006, 09:42 AM
Using cygwin. Worst idea of my life.

Trying to compile AuCTeX in cygwin, second worst idea of my life.

Oh, and the fact that you can have a printer driver correctly installed, a post script file, but unless you have a !@#$%^& postscript VIEWER installed, you can't print, because you can't STREAM A FILE DIRECTLY TO A PRINTER. GAAAAAAAAAAH.

PS I'm still waiting to switch because there's no Merom MBP yet =(

slabbius
Sep 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
worst experience ever....????

can't really say there was one in particular that caused me to switch.... macs are just better :)

Shadow
Sep 16, 2006, 03:42 PM
Worst Windows Experience....

Well, it would have to be a few days ago. I was backing up all the stuff from my MacBook onto my XP machine (bad idea #1). I used OS X's FTP access-its very good. I made sure that all my stuff was on the XP machine, and as it was late I went to bed. I shut down the XP machine (bad idea #2), but not the MacBook as I planned to use it in bed. As it shut down it made that XP error sound thing. Thinking nothing of it, I went to bed. The next day, I turned the XP machine on to make sure everything was alright. On bootup I was greeted with a BSoD. Having no idea what was going on (and getting extremley annoyed) I rebooted again (bad idea #3). This time, the machine booted, but XP had decided to delete every single one of my files. Zip. All gone. And it wasnt just my stuff on the machine-its got years of family photos on). I had no idea what to do. I rushed downstairs to inform the family what had happened, and when they came upstairs, we were greeted with the almighty BSoD. During reboot Windows refused to boot at all. Not actually having a XP disk around, I simply "borrowed" one from a friend (bad idea #4). The machine refused to boot of the CD. Ugh. The machine is now sitting on the desk, not doing anything at all.

And to think I refused an iMac G5 when I bought the XP machine from PC World 3 years ago.....

Mikael
Sep 16, 2006, 05:20 PM
Worst Windows Experience....

Well, it would have to be a few days ago. I was backing up all the stuff from my MacBook onto my XP machine (bad idea #1). I used OS X's FTP access-its very good. I made sure that all my stuff was on the XP machine, and as it was late I went to bed. I shut down the XP machine (bad idea #2), but not the MacBook as I planned to use it in bed. As it shut down it made that XP error sound thing. Thinking nothing of it, I went to bed. The next day, I turned the XP machine on to make sure everything was alright. On bootup I was greeted with a BSoD. Having no idea what was going on (and getting extremley annoyed) I rebooted again (bad idea #3). This time, the machine booted, but XP had decided to delete every single one of my files. Zip. All gone. And it wasnt just my stuff on the machine-its got years of family photos on). I had no idea what to do. I rushed downstairs to inform the family what had happened, and when they came upstairs, we were greeted with the almighty BSoD. During reboot Windows refused to boot at all. Not actually having a XP disk around, I simply "borrowed" one from a friend (bad idea #4). The machine refused to boot of the CD. Ugh. The machine is now sitting on the desk, not doing anything at all.

And to think I refused an iMac G5 when I bought the XP machine from PC World 3 years ago.....
Just so you know, all your files are very likely to be recoverable by simply installing the drive in another machine and using an "undelete" program. The files aren't really gone until they're overwritten, which isn't likely to have happened. My friend (or possibly Windows) screwed up a while ago and he also thought that all files were lost. Luckily I was able to restore all but 10 photos. :)

Shadow
Sep 16, 2006, 05:32 PM
Just so you know, all your files are very likely to be recoverable by simply installing the drive in another machine and using an "undelete" program. The files aren't really gone until they're overwritten, which isn't likely to have happened. My friend (or possibly Windows) screwed up a while ago and he also thought that all files were lost. Luckily I was able to restore all but 10 photos. :)
Thanks for the help, but I have no access to another PC (or rather, a person that will let me tinker with theirs :p).

Clydefrog
Sep 16, 2006, 08:16 PM
ah man where to start. Probably the one i can think of most is reformatting and reinstalling windows every 3 months due to registry errors and just common slow downs. Also, running SPybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and defraging every week

dsnort
Sep 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
1. Windows Messenger on original XP= endless spam pop-ups :mad:

2. "XXYYZZ Program Has Performed An Illegal Action and Will Shut Down...." :(

3."New Hardware Found"-"Insert Installation Disk" :confused:

4. "Your Search Returned 0 Results" :mad:

5. Push power button, go make dinner while computer boots up. :o

6. "12 Spyware Infections found" :mad:

7. "System Restore Unavailable, file XXYYZZ.dll cannot be found" :eek:

8. " Disk Defragmentation underway, estimated time left 22 hrs and 46 mins" :eek:

9. Realizing my fingers had the CTRL+ALT+DEL combo memorized :D

EDIT:
Thought of a couple of more favorites

10. Opening IE to find out my homepage had been mysteriously reset to some never before seen search engine, apparently owned by the makers of Viagra.

11. "This Appplication is Not Windows Certified, Are You Sure You Want to Continue?"

12. " Windows Cannot Communicate With The Printer, Please Check Your Cable Connnections". Well, it was there two minutes ago, where do ya think it went? (Fixed with a reboot)

jlewis2k1
Sep 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
how about having to do a clean install like every 2 weeks cause of either spyware and adware or the files get corrupted some how.

CoMpX
Sep 17, 2006, 12:00 PM
I had been annoyed with Windows for a while, but what finally pushed me over the edge was the fact that I had to reinstall Windows 3 times in one week due to corruption.

jlewis2k1
Sep 17, 2006, 12:09 PM
I had been annoyed with Windows for a while, but what finally pushed me over the edge was the fact that I had to reinstall Windows 3 times in one week due to corruption.

thats a nightmere ... i wonder how my mum's computer is. everytime, i go to visit there something wrong with her computer...(she doesnt pay attention to what is being installed)

luminosity
Sep 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
i hadn't thought about it in awhile, but the startup stuff is something i most assuredly don't miss. i was having registery trouble from time to time, and i obviously don't have to deal with that anymore.

i'd say it was my brother's ibook experience that got me to switch, but there are a myriad of things i'm glad i don't have to deal with anymore.

chewy5000
Sep 18, 2006, 02:22 AM
Windows rebooted (but without the 'shutting down' buisness, just straight to black) constantly, usually after 2-3 minutes of being turned on. I realised that it was automatic update doing it, but then realised that it was ALL microsoft updates.

I also had a problem were windows blocked the internet connection.

I haven't switched to Mac, BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO (i'm 14, my parents have the final say. i want a mac for my school laptop, but the IT dudes say you have to use windows, BootCamp is my saviour)

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
IT dudes say you have to use windows, BootCamp is my saviour)
Remember IT dudes are usually PC specialists so there's a 97% chance they are wrong. But just to be sure use Boot Camp and on a day that you're feeling dangerous try it with Mac and see what happens.

dsnort
Sep 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
Remember IT dudes are usually PC specialists so there's a 97% chance they are wrong. But just to be sure use Boot Camp and on a day that you're feeling dangerous try it with Mac and see what happens.

Also remember that any kind of "specialist" is just as likely to be a complete idiot as anyone else. ( Seriously, I had to tell the IT dude at my last job how to kill a froze up app in XP )

Benjamindaines
Sep 18, 2006, 06:46 PM
Seriously, I had to tell the IT dude at my last job how to kill a froze up app in XP
Wow, all the ones I've encountered were at least smarter than that.

bob5820
Sep 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
I switched out of boredom. The prospect of Vista for me was just not all that exciting, and using Windows had become as exciting as watching a bucket rust. For me one of the intriguing things about OSX is its different. Learning the OSX way of doing things is as exciting and challenging as when I first booted up Win 3.1/DOS (OK its not really that challenging).

dsnort
Sep 19, 2006, 07:32 AM
Wow, all the ones I've encountered were at least smarter than that.

Well, in all fairness, he did have a way to kill the app. But it was an uber geekanoid reach around your left shoulder to scratch your right ear way. It completely blew his mind that I would lower myself to using CTRL+ALT+DEL. :D

Benjamindaines
Sep 19, 2006, 02:25 PM
Well, in all fairness, he did have a way to kill the app. But it was an uber geekanoid reach around your left shoulder to scratch your right ear way. It completely blew his mind that I would lower myself to using CTRL+ALT+DEL. :D
haha what did he want you to do... I didn't know there was another way

Mac-Addict
Sep 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
I haven't switched yet but have been saving for a Mac since January/Febuary. I turned it on, it crashed same thing happend for like an hour then finally I got the thing to work and opened MSN (Thats like iChat for all you Pure bloods :p ) and opened iTunes plugged my ipod in BOOM!! No not really it just froze so I just restarted it and took be an hour to get it to stop restarting (Again) And it froze.. so i kick it when ever it freezes. That is honestly what I do everything it freezes or crashes it gets another dent in the side of it. Can't wait for my 24" iMac at x-mas then I shall be taking my pc into my garden and burning it. Mwauahahahahahahahahahahaha

dale.albiston
Sep 29, 2006, 06:33 AM
not actually switched *yet*, will be soon though.

let me see now...

'corrupt' windows, seriously this WGA whatsit they released wanted a bribe before it would let me use my legit copy of xp home.

rang the ms muppets, while holding my origional xp home disc, with my xp certificate in front of me.. apparently i've installed my copy too many times and now need to buy a new one to make the dialog go away.. umm.. no.

(manually diabled WGA, now i can't get at the MS web sites download section. not sure if this is a problem or a bonus though).

internet exploder... i use firefox now.

oddly only had one virus problem with XP. i normally use thunderbird & firefox, unknown to me though my other half managed to find outlook express, which i thought i'd nuked. and even more amazingly managed to configure it (despite the thunderbird icon labed 'email' on the desktop), ran it... had to reformat the hard drive to get the thing to boot after that, something nasty, not sure what, in an email. my firewall (on a linux box) blocked email after that, you talk to my email server on the linux box now or not at all.

actually the main problem is the WGA crap and MS attitude over trying to solve it, i gave up in the end.

otherwise its a lot of minor irritations, I've *never* just used windows, the day i got my old 486 it duel booted dos 6/win 3.1 with slackware linux. my current athlon only has xp home on it.. but it sits next to an old ibm server box running SuSE.

i just fancy a change and the mac look snice, i fancy actual plug & play, and knowing stuff will actually work.. unlike my old ibm thinkpad laptop...

win 98SE, which apparently my wifi card supports, well if you can call a bsod every time the crad is inserted a 'feature' i guess it is. some sort of driver conflict, if i look too deeply i'll loose the will to live, that thing has been reinstalled 6 times last week trying to fix it.

mind you at least Win98 didn't make me phone MS for permission each time...

i know OSX handles the activation thing in hardware, like i care as long as it still lets me use the machine in 5 years i'm happy.

off to drool over the mc pro i'll be ordering come november...

Foggy
Sep 29, 2006, 11:17 AM
I am looking to switch back. I used macs for a while years ago (pre-OSX) but the company I was working for went down the MS Visual Basic and then the .Net route so windows machines were the only real option. Thankfully we have now moved to Php and all my machines now run Linux (except one notebook for IE testing), and as soon as I can I am switching my windows laptop for a MBP 17". Only things I use during the working day are SSH, Mysql Query Browser, Firefox, Thunderbird and Amarok so everything I need to do can be done on a mac. On top of that all of the photo manipulation I currently do in Adobe Elements and Photoshop, along with the movie stuff I attempt to do in windows will be that much easier with the free iLife :)

Cant flippin wait...now where are those M(dont worry, I wont say it and get yet another thread hijacked) ;) :D

Max Payne
Nov 6, 2006, 09:32 AM
I can't even count the number of bad experiences I had with MS windows.

Now I am updating Windows XP in my MBP. Don't worry, boot camp is free and win xp pro is free too :D

I wanted to update win xp.

1. I was forced to used I.E.
2. Forced to upgrade to I.E. 7.
3. Forced to have active x.
4. Restart after I.E. 7 installation.
5. Update windows. Problem with the site.
6. A different try and 3 updates with genuine check.
7. Another restart at the end of the installation.
8. Another windows update.
9. 3 minutes check and 71 more updates.
10. 30 minutes later, You must restart your computer.
11. I am restarting my computer and I don't think I'll be coming back here to update this reply.

Wish me luck guys.

haleyvan
Nov 6, 2006, 05:21 PM
i had a dell laptop (mistake number 1)

hard drive crashed after a year and a half and i lost all my important school work, pictures, etc. it was running windows 2000, which was awful. always had viruses.

replaced the hard drive, installed linux which i loved, and the hard drive died again 6 months later. awesome.

sooo i got a macbook - better hardware AND operating system? yes please.

dopey220
Nov 6, 2006, 06:11 PM
I was downloading some P2P software on LimeWire that had some spyware in it. It infected my computer so badly I had to reformat the hard drive. The irony? The spyware/adware was from the company Stop Sign, which claims to provide top-notch spyware and virus protection. I go into a violent rage whenever I see their ads on Adult Swim.

SkyBell
Nov 6, 2006, 06:26 PM
I havn't exactly switched yet, but I am ordering a Mac Mini in a few weeks.

Hmm.. motherboard replaced in My HP twice, reinstalled twice, countless viruses, and all that crap. I don't have anything aginst Windows. Except XP Every single XP machine I've owned has died. (Go figure my three 3.1's, four 95's, three 98's, two 98 SE's, one ME, and my two 2000's are still running like dreams) I used to have more classic windows machines, but they did die. And they were all HP's.

God I hate HP's and Windows XP

macridah
Nov 6, 2006, 06:28 PM
Not my worst or the one that made me switch (that was longtime ago), but just happened today.

A windows security hotfix hosed MS Office on my work computer. All the office applications were unusable. Word wouldn't open (not enough memory or disk space to open word", Outlook "could not initialize, quit or reinstall" ... basically all apps had different errors.

after 50 calls to our IT support helpdesk, they had to find out another resolution besides uninstall and reinstall. It was to remove a particular hotfix.

Caused so much wasted time. To uninstall, reinstall, patch office, reconfigure outlook, and downtime!

Next Tuesday
Nov 6, 2006, 06:33 PM
The worst part about windows is when you press the power button to turn your pc on. Haha

iBookG4user
Nov 6, 2006, 06:55 PM
Let's see, hope this won't be way too long...

My most troublesome computer I've ever had was my windbloze desktop computer (that was NOT connected to the internet BTW). I had to defragment my disk almost everyday to keep windows in working order. I had to reinstall windows 6 times in it's lifespan, because it just got too messed up to work. Replaced the hard drive and still had the same problems with it. It was EXTREMELY loud, as in you could here it downstairs with the TV on while watching a TV Show loud. It was a very fast computer, although I've had many hardware issues with it, replaced hard drive, replaced motherboard, replaced power supply and probably some that I've forgotten about.
Other notable windows things that influenced my switch, I've been forced to use this windows desktop that had it's hard drive replaced, has integrated graphics, runs extremely slow and it was over $1000 when purchased and the hard drive wasn't under warrenty. The next windows desktop computer, had it's power supply replaced, hard drive replaced, runs VERY slow, had its graphics card replaced etc.

And my parents have this Apple ][e from the 80s that has never had a single problem, still runs perfectly and it's over 20 years old. Also had a Quadra 650 with no problems, and still runs perfectly. Mine wasn't really a switch, it was a switch back to something better. And now I've had no problems whatsoever with any Macs. Even windows under bootcamp runs terrible and I've had to reinstall it twice, and it's been less than a month :eek:.

SMM
Nov 6, 2006, 07:23 PM
Licensing the bloody software. And, that includes everything MS has their mitts on. They have made the experience absolutely dreadful. If you are a single user, it may not bother you too much. When you have to maintain a WAN, with several hundred users, it really becomes a chore. They have retail, OEM, Site Licenses, Open Licenses and I have not discovered a way to make this a easy task, without getting absolutely hosed on the cost.

savanahrose
Nov 6, 2006, 07:58 PM
my turning point was when I had spyware on my hard drive and I could not delete it with Norton OR

savanahrose
Nov 6, 2006, 08:00 PM
Dang hit a wrong key. Well anyway, it would not be deleted with any virus program. I had to wipe out the hard drive and reinstall.

Calling for a moderator to delete the previous is message!

How do you get a moderator to delete a message?

savanahrose
Nov 6, 2006, 08:20 PM

And how did you violate it by putting it on a mac?

That sucks! :(

thequicksilver
Nov 7, 2006, 05:57 PM
Windows ME.

BengalDuck
Nov 9, 2006, 01:12 AM
The ridiculous amount of viruses, sypware, and adware. What's the point of high speed internet if your PC runs slower than a 28k connection anyways?

XCool
Nov 9, 2006, 01:18 AM
Caught a worm while surfing the net.

Worm tried to send out PING packets. Any attempt to update antivirus failed, coz the dial-up link is being eaten up by the worm.

Brought laptop to friend's house. Got friend to download ZoneAlarm.

Infra-red transferred ZoneAlarm to infected laptop.

Installed ZoneAlarm. Upon launch, block the process from sending outgoing data.

Told myself to buy a Mac.

Using Mac at home, PeeCee in the office. :rolleyes:

tominated
Nov 9, 2006, 01:43 AM
hard drive failure, bsod literally about 50 times

Nym
Nov 10, 2006, 07:23 AM
I had a couple of bad experiences with Windows:

Wrongfully opening ImageReady (for ex) and trying to "End Task" while it was still opening = Windows crash!

Having 180 spyware's and all that crap found in my machine from just normal computer usage.

Trying to customize the XP look and after 5 years realizing that "this will never be a Mac" :( (lol)

Getting a Virus through Windows Messenger that made my taskbar disappear and hide forever, even if restarting the explorer.exe process, re-installed Windows..

Working in a Mac at work, arriving home and crying when looking at how ugly Windows is.

Having 1GB RAM that felt like 256 MB, bad usage of RAM from the OS I guess.

And Finally... my PC used to reboot out of nowhere, replaced RAM, MotherBoard, PowerSource... re-installed Windows, still rebooted :) One day it rebooted to never turn on again... I bought a 24" iMac!!!! I'm NEVER going back.. love my Mac...:D

Nov 10, 2006, 11:48 AM
New computer, fresh XP install.

Hey, everything works great! Let's get to work.

A few days later.. things are still working OK.. but kind of sluggish.

Install anti-virus software and do a scan. This takes several hours to complete, and finds a few bugs.

Delete, Quarentene, Clean?

Click Delete.

Sorry can't delete this.

Click Clean.

Sorry can't clean.

Click Quarenteen. Ok.

Click to check for virus scan updates.. this launches a IE browser and asks me to login.. then begins checking for updates.

Box pops up: NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN IN 60 SECONDS.

WHAAA??

Do some browsing on the web on a Mac, and learn that this is an exploit, and you need a patch, or Service Pack 2 to plug the hole.

Fire up the PC again.. click on System Update, which opens a IE browser, and now wants me to load a file to make sure my OS is legit.

Ok, no problem. Except while i'm waiting for this thing to download..

NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN IN 60 SECONDS.

Jump back on the web on the Mac, and learn of a simple command to type to hault the shutdown.

Fire up the PC.. click on System Update.. IE browser opens, start downloading the file to make sure i'm legit.. NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN IN 60 SECONDS.. go to command prompt, type in command, NT AUTHORITY SHUTDOWN goes away.

Excellent.

Windows verifies that it's legit, shows the long list of security patches and updates available, and starts downloading.

Now we're getting somewhere! I go to get a drink from the kitchen. Come back and am greeted with:

Windows as performed an illegal operation and must shut down.

Click 'OK'.

All desktop icons vanish.. 'start bar' runs away. Just as i'm getting ready to shut it off and re-boot.. everything comes back.

Click on 'System Update'.. long pause.. nothing happens.

Click on "System Update".. blue screen of death.

Turn computer off, then back on.. boots into windows.. click on System Update, IE browser opens, shows updates available.. click to download.. download starts.. NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN IN 60 SECONDS!

Go to command prompt, type in command, NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN box goes away.

Several hours later, updates are downloaded, installed, and system is restarted.

Ok. We're back to normal again!

Load anti-virus software, check for anti-virus software updates.

IE browser launches, asks me to login, and i'm told that the copy of the software I bought less than 2 months ago no longer has updates available, and I need to buy the new version.

I buy the new version, download it, install, and now it needs to check for updates.. thru the IE browser, of course.

Program has stopped responding.

Restart computer, re-start anti-virus software, check for updates, but this time, copy the link from the IE browser address bar just in case it 'stops responding' again.

Yep. It stopped responding.

Launch FireFox browser, paste link in address bar, hit ENTER..

Sorry, you must be using Internet Explorer!

Shut computer down. Go to Staples and buy new copy of XP with SP2 included.

Re-install OS, check for updates, re-install applications, re-install virus scan, check for virus scan updates, two days later and $200+ poorer, we're back in business.

For a week or so.

Pick up a nasty bug. System memory appears to vanish. Anti-Virus software cannot clean it, remove it, or do anything with it. Why exactly did I pay $39 for that software?

Follow handy instructions for manual removal of virus.. trudge thru the registry, delete files from command prompt.. hour later or so, do another scan.

This program has preformed an illegal operation and must shut down.

Restart computer, it runs like dog crap.

Re-install OS, re-install anti-virus software, check for updates. Ohh now there are all kinds of updates available!

Install updates, scan system (another 6 hours of my life gone) finds no bugs.

Ok.. now we're back in business!

2 days later. System Hangs for no apparent reason.

Turn off PC, put it in the closet, switched to Mac full time, haven't looked back.

ozontheroad
Nov 10, 2006, 11:50 AM
pressing the "on" button

iBookG4user
Nov 10, 2006, 11:54 AM
Even using windows under parallels is a major pain. I see "ths program is not responding" and then the "end now" doesn't even work half the time! Windows will never be ready for general usage without major pains.

Hummer
Nov 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
I actually bought my iBook as a secondary computer. I thought I was content with Windows, but my iBook ended up as my main desktop computer.

Ish
Nov 10, 2006, 12:51 PM
Using the drawing app and having it constantly crashing when using 3 layers.:mad:

General frustration with a lot of minor things. :mad: :mad:

Only good thing was being able to pick up Turkish radio on the internet. Even with RealPlayer and Flip4Mac I can't find anything now. :(

Shadow
Dec 8, 2006, 06:49 PM
After my horrible encounter with the family PC (see page 7), I've managed to get it working again...barley. I've had to format several times, and installing all the updates was hell. I mean come on, 72 updates?!?! Anyway, I managed to scrounge a few files that I had lying around on CDs somewhere, and i re-ripped my music etc. I also now have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition Trial running in VirtualPC...and it sucks. I have now realized that Vista is not XP with a few new features-it is a repackaged copy of Server 2003. Apart from the theme and a few apps (like CardSpace-WTF is that?!), it is almost identical.

princealfie
Dec 8, 2006, 10:30 PM
Isn't that the program that doesn't quite exist yet? :eek:

SeVeN
Dec 8, 2006, 10:38 PM
got a virus on my 2 week old HP, figured that was enough.

thugpoet22
Dec 8, 2006, 11:59 PM
I didn't get virus. And both my anti virus and firewall were both free. I simply didn't go around downloading and installing everything on the net. Windows can be quite stable if you do the right thing. The one thing i will agree with is that it does seem to get sluggish after long periods of use. My mac never seems to act like that.

savanahrose
Dec 9, 2006, 07:09 AM
Sometimes when you download the updates it makes your system run very very slow!

Love my new mac!

pimentoLoaf
Dec 9, 2006, 10:52 PM
Windows ME bugs ad infinitum.

Only bought a new PC to run a couple of simulators (MS Train Sim & MS Combat Sim 2); WinXP is far easier to deal with than ME.

If yer gonna run Win, get a malware program Prevx (http://www.prevx.com/). Much better than anything, though it doesn't replace an antivirus package (I also stay away from Symantec which prefers to take over my machine slowing things in the background -- bad for games).

Jollins
Dec 14, 2006, 11:49 PM
I thought it was amazing when I told Windows XP to reboot into safemode by checking off the appropriate preference in msconfig (I didn't touch anything I shouldn't have). When I restart windows it freezes every time, not booting into anything I try. I format.

gkarris
Dec 15, 2006, 10:34 AM
Constant upgrading to make that game/program work.

Calling up Dell or MS tech support and getting someone in India that can't understand a word I'm saying... (sorry, I don't speak the Queen's English...)

MovieCutter
Dec 15, 2006, 10:35 AM
Late to the party...

Worst Windows Experience that forced ME to switch???

...using it...

phillipjfry
Dec 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
I bought a brand new pc system earlier this year. Top of the line mo-bo, video card, ram, processor, win xp-64, dvd-burner, everything was looking nice. It was a dark and stormy night, when i pieced together my system, installed winxp64, nero, and daemon tools, games, the usual...
I go to reboot (for the 50 millionth time) after installing all my games/software/updates/etc, and USB does not work at all. New mouse and new keyboard are USB only, and now they dont work. So now i have to go buy a PS/2 keyboard/mouse so i can try to figure out whats going on. Google ends up telling me that with my hardware build + daemon tools (any kind of virtual drive) it disables my USB controller. So I could either get rid of daemon tools, and just play games from the original cd (painful to keep track of if u play alot of games), or i could hook up ps/2 keyboard disable usb controller in the settings, and reenable them to get USB to work again (people told me just to use ps/2 keyboard and mouse, but what about digital camera connector, flash drive, etc). Ok fine, ill compromise. I removed daemon tools and after a while i burn some cds. Nero ends up corrupting every type of cd i burn. After some hardware testing i find out its more software+hardware issues specific to my computer. So I'm forced to reinstall windows 32bit after running into more complications with software and win64. So not only am i sitting here using software that doesnt even fully use all the hardware i have in my machine, but when i go to reinstall windows xp, the plethura of patchs and security updates cause my installation to go corrupt somewhere along the line....reinstallation before i even had a chance to finish installing. Now i just want something that works. Thats all i want now. So now I'm saving up for a huge upgrade in quality.

p.s. this is only one of many many stories i have about using windoze

gkarris
Dec 15, 2006, 12:37 PM
I bought a brand new pc system earlier this year. Top of the line mo-bo, video card, ram, processor, win xp-64, dvd-burner, everything was looking nice. It was a dark and stormy night, when i pieced together my system, installed winxp64, nero, and daemon tools, games, the usual...
I go to reboot (for the 50 millionth time) after installing all my games/software/updates/etc, and USB does not work at all. New mouse and new keyboard are USB only, and now they dont work. So now i have to go buy a PS/2 keyboard/mouse so i can try to figure out whats going on. Google ends up telling me that with my hardware build + daemon tools (any kind of virtual drive) it disables my USB controller. So I could either get rid of daemon tools, and just play games from the original cd (painful to keep track of if u play alot of games), or i could hook up ps/2 keyboard disable usb controller in the settings, and reenable them to get USB to work again (people told me just to use ps/2 keyboard and mouse, but what about digital camera connector, flash drive, etc). Ok fine, ill compromise. I removed daemon tools and after a while i burn some cds. Nero ends up corrupting every type of cd i burn. After some hardware testing i find out its more software+hardware issues specific to my computer. So I'm forced to reinstall windows 32bit after running into more complications with software and win64. So not only am i sitting here using software that doesnt even fully use all the hardware i have in my machine, but when i go to reinstall windows xp, the plethura of patchs and security updates cause my installation to go corrupt somewhere along the line....reinstallation before i even had a chance to finish installing. Now i just want something that works. Thats all i want now. So now I'm saving up for a huge upgrade in quality.

p.s. this is only one of many many stories i have about using windoze

Try Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition. But then, that leads to my post about the constant upgrading to make it work.

You're better off with a Mac Mini for computing, and XBox 360 for gaming, and you'd still come out ahead money and time wise rather than trying to get that top of the line PC stuff to work right...

dane0
Dec 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
For me the thing that really made me switch were the small things. First and foremost I guess what pushed me over the edge was a project I did at University that required plugging a USB key into two different portables a large number of times. Having to wait 20+ seconds for Windows to detect the USB key and then have Windows **** up randomly 50% of the time and not detecting it properly made a seemingly simple process take over an hour (my best guess is that on a Mac it would've taken little more than 10 minutes to complete). I guess what really drove me up the wall and pushed me over the line to switching was a little detail in this buggy design.

Every time Windows couldn't recognise the USB key (after doing the 20 seconds+ detection procedure) it said something like "There's a problem with the USB key, Windows cannot blah, blah, blah". No there is NOT a problem with the USB key, there's a problem with this idiotic OS, do not blame the hardware just because you can't do a proper OS. I know that's just a generic message, but formulating a text like that when Microsoft know damn well that they did a poor job is just borderlining on the criminal. They knew people would have problems with this and so they hoped to trick people with a poor knowledge about computers into thinking that the problem is with their perfectly functioning hardware.

I made the switch a month and a half ago and I've never looked back. Of course this problem is small in the grand scheme of things (the real benefits of switching, both those I were and weren't aware of are becoming clearer to me everyday), but on Mac OS I can just plug in my USB key and it will show up without fault 3-4 seconds later and everytime my whole body just seems to go "ahh" and relax a bit more.

As for Microsoft, well... They've definately lost my business and what did they lose it with? A really poor way of doing something that should be really easy. When it comes to complicated procedures I'm willing to cut them some slack, but when they couldn't make something as simple as this work I lost my confidence in them. I know they don't care about customers, after all they're all but a monopoly, but if they piss off enough people like this, they'll be in trouble at some time in the future. At my university I'd say roughly 1/3 of the computers are Apples so that might be good omen for the future of Macintosh and competing OSs.

zephead
Dec 18, 2006, 05:48 PM
No there is NOT a problem with the USB key, there's a problem with this idiotic OS, do not blame the hardware just because you can't do a proper OS. I know that's just a generic message, but formulating a text like that when Microsoft know damn well that they did a poor job is just borderlining on the criminal. They knew people would have problems with this and so they hoped to trick people with a poor knowledge about computers into thinking that the problem is with their perfectly functioning hardware.

That's what happens with wireless internet too. Sometimes for some inexplicable reason, the internet stops working, so I go press "repair" and then it says something like "The network has refused to issue an IP address to the computer". Same situation as the USB key! Windows blames it on your hardware because it doesn't want to admit that it's wrong! And that thing you said about them tricking people with poor computer knowledge is just wrong.

Woah. Sorry for the rant. :)

OnceUGoMac
Dec 18, 2006, 06:01 PM
Windows ME. 'Nuff said.:p

tominated
Dec 18, 2006, 06:07 PM
looking at that fugly beige tower

davidjearly
Dec 18, 2006, 06:11 PM
...but just the whole concept of the PC. I didn't need it for any apps in particular and the Mac is just the way computing should be. I put my computer to sleep and when I want to use it wakes up in a second - connected to the Internet!

I want to get something done - my Mac's help me do that. Whether at University, work or just play I get what I need done, when I want to do it. No fuss.

This is the way all technology should be.

Also, there is of course the superior OS in every aspect, iLife, Core Image. I can't think of a reason not to use my Mac actually.

Sorry for the blatant Mac eagerness here but I just felt like talking up my Mac.

David

FF_productions
Dec 18, 2006, 06:18 PM
Wow I can't believe my thread lasted this long...

My dad's pc just went through it's 3rd restore due to viruses/spyware and I'm starting to think about BUYING HIM a Mac for x-mas.

davidjearly
Dec 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
Wow I can't believe my thread lasted this long...

My dad's pc just went through it's 3rd restore due to viruses/spyware and I'm starting to think about BUYING HIM a Mac for x-mas.

Go on, you really should. Even just second hand one to dip his feet in with...

David

Nym
Dec 19, 2006, 09:22 AM
I'm a 24" iMac proud owner :)
I have it since October. The computer has crashed on me twice forcing me to reboot... and both those times it froze I was running Windows via bootcamp.
I guess that sums it up :)

Shadow
Dec 19, 2006, 09:18 PM

Is that all? Heck, I've formatted by PC more than 3 times in a week...No, really I formatted it about 6 times in 5 days!

Dec 19, 2006, 09:28 PM
looking at that fugly beige tower

Ha.. but they're so well thought out.. so nice.. I like those ones that look like briefcases... with handles and all. .. ha :D

Mammoth
Dec 22, 2006, 12:54 AM
This isn't a problem, but once I installed Duke Nukem on my XP box, and it claimed that my CD drive was too fast and that I run the disk slower or something. Odd..

FrankBlack
Dec 22, 2006, 02:03 PM
I've never "switched". I've been with the platform since late '84. What keeps me going on it is fairly simple: It just works. Apple produces the operating system, and the hardware it runs on. I like to tell people that this makes logical sense, in a DaVinci sort of way.

agfrg
Dec 27, 2006, 09:51 AM
I still use windows because I haven't got the opportunity of buy a Mac, but my friends call me the "Mac Defender Without One", and some people say that I'm the Windows user that loves more Mac OS X.

I have to say that never worked in Mac OS but I'm tired of reinstall my system 6 months or less after had reinstalled it. Tired of having to have always 10 gigs of non partitioned for install Ubuntu in emergences (for backup all my thing that are in Windows). Tired of viruses that affect the speed of my machine and tired of spyware that emerges in my screen. I'm tired of doing nothing with my photos or movies because I haven't the tools to make anything beautiful.
I can't say I'm tired of blue screens because in 2 years I haven't got one (lucky windows user that I am)

I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity of buy a Mac. I'mtired of Window$ and Linux in not an alternative for people like me that are constantly on Web and doing things with they're "digital life".

I use iTunes for 2 years and iPod for 1 days and I love them. If everything on the Macs are like them, it will be an very soft change, just a graphical change and a drastic improvement to my productivity.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 27, 2006, 10:56 AM
My worst Windows experience involved a Registry-cleaning utility. I ran the thing several times until it had cleaned out all the rogue, broken registry entries. Alas, it cleaned something it shouldn't have - Norton AntiVirus and many of my other programs stopped working.

That convinced me to use Windows only when absolutely necessary, which is what I do now.

thewhitehart
Dec 27, 2006, 11:39 AM
Definitely the random box that would pop up telling me the computer needs to be reset due to a Registry Fault. I'm not sure how I ended up fixing it, I just had to reset the computer about fifty times - really annoying!

And upgrades never went smoothly - Windows 3.1 to 95 destroyed my computer, and 98 to XP made a lot of programs useless, especially my DVD encoder.

I remember back in the day when Windows 3.1 used to blue screen daily, and for some reason create 50 duplicate PIF Editor application icons. I had no idea what PIF Editor was.

And certain spyware that was impossible to clean out - that eGator bull*&%$, and the infamous End Program box that would appear before shutdown, trying to close a program called "Shouldn't See Me", which really freaked me out. Windows is useless to me when it can be compromised like that. I'm super-safe online, too... EZArmor, spyware defender, Firefox, etc.

kinesin
Dec 27, 2006, 12:56 PM
I've never had a real bad experience using Win2k. I was running a shuttle box, virus free and very little impact from the scanner, the worst was corrupt/aka dying HD that was fixed using a spare machine at work.
I think the reason i made the switch was I was fed up with PC gaming, too many driver updates and tweeks plus latest GPU card required for XYZ, at that point I decided to go solely with my DS and xbox. Once I stopped playing I then switched back to a passive Ti4200 graphics card, and underclocked the box to be slient running - this way torrents etc could do there stuff overnight without impacting me.
My jump to the Mac was made as i wanted a laptop; a small good looking laptop that could run windows. The Macbook give me that option, the thinking been that if I didn't like OSx I can always drop XP or Debian etc on it. I had infact already builtup and upgraded a Classic Bondi Imac to 667Mhz board, dropped in a 120GB drive loads of ram and OSx 10.2 (iirc) - however this was a gift to my girlfriend, chosen due to mac's lack of virus/spyware.
I now like my mac, but still use the PC for my triathlon training software and various pieces of xbox related utils. Exposť, global keyboard shortcuts and the dual finger trackpad make the Macbook fun to use. I just hope my folks fine it as easy as there are having a two week play, before buying a new laptop.

HawaiiMacAddict
Dec 29, 2006, 01:45 AM
Aloha everyone,

I've had my issues with Windows ever since I bought my first PC back 1994. I had to spend hours on the phone with various manufacturer's tech support personnel, in what turned out sometimes to be a vain attempt to get some third party hardware/software working with Windows 3.1.1/95/98/Me/2000 and XP. I tried to install OS2 Warp, but it didn't recognize my CD drive. Bummed, I continued using Windows until I read about Redhat Linux 5.3, which took me two days to load (I had to search for a lot of drivers, then get help with XFree86 configuration - while using a 33.3kbps modem). I really like the fact that it was 1.) NOT Windows and 2.) free.

That being said, Windows OSs got progessively better as time went on. I personally think that, with the exception of not supporting hyperthreading, Windows 2000 was probably the best client OS Microsoft has produced yet - Windows Server 2003 is most likely the best server OS they've produced, but I never worked with Windows Server 2000. Windows ME was, IMHO, a thinly-disguised virus foisted on Windows user, including myself, as it was pre-installed on the first laptop I purchased.

I stayed with Redhat Linux, off and on, all the way through Fedora Core 5, but it didn't quite do everything I wanted to do, in the manner I chose. I wanted a Windows-free alternative, but one more mainstream than Linux. The biggest issue I have with Linux, however, is not that it isn't a very nice OS (which it is), but that with over 175 different flavors (and it's probably way more than that), you get too much of a good thing. For example, directory structure is inconsistent between the various distros, the packaging progs are different, and some just work better than others with specific hardware sets.

I was also one who took in the Microsoft FUD - hook, line, and sinker. It was easy to believe that Apple made overpriced, inferior computers - I didn't know many people who had Macs, and also thought that the quality of an OS was evidenced by the amount of available software. I also thought that since Apple insisted on designing and creating both the hardware and software, they were forced to overcharge their customers. Furthermore, I was unaware of any possible interoperability between the two OSs, so why bother? After all, I was still using Linux, right?!?

Here's what finally put me over the edge. I had a computer custom-built for me in December 2003, with all the latestt and greatest cutting-edge components. I later upgraded my DVD burner with a dual-layer one, purchased the lattest version of Nero, and ensured that it was fully updated and patched. I normally record the Tour de France on my HDD, edit out the commercials, then record it to DVD. Up until this year, I was precluded from using dual-layer discs, but after upgrading, I felt sure that everything would work fine. Much to my chagrin, out of 7 discs, I was only able to successfully burn 2! The dual-layer discs were $25 for 10, so I wasted $12.50 total. That was with the latest updates from Microsoft, the latest updates from Nero, a brand-new DVD dual-layer burner, and good-quality DL DVDs. On a computer, if you have the same input and perform the same operations, you should get the same results.

I just wanted a computer that worked. That's all I wanted - a computer that works. My sister-in-law asked me to put some music on her iPod,a dn I was amazed at the quality workmanship and ease of use of that iPod, not to mention the audio quality of the ear buds. I thought that if Apple put that much insistence on quality into an iPod, they would probably put that much more into their productioin of computers. That's why I began researching the Macintosh platform. I admit that I was leery at first, but the more I played with them, the more I realized that I had been blinded by Microsoft's FUD machine. I finally made the switch in August of this year, when I bought my 20" iMac, then followed that up in October when I bought my 15" MacBook Pro. I am so extremely pleased with my purchases, I began wondering what took me so long to wake up and see the light. I'm so happy, I'll never go back to a PC, except at work, where we have nothing but :mad:

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted put a slightly different spin on the pro-Apple, anti-Microsoft debate. Other than Windows 2000, I've had to spend too much time getting the computer ready to use. I really liked Windows 2000, however, but it's not supported any longer. One thing I noticed is the paradigm shift between Microsoft and Apple. Microsoft lets the user use their computer the way Microsoft wants, but Apple simply allows the user the freedom to use their computer. I have a feeling of freedom when using a Macintosh, something I never quite felt while using a PC.

HawaiiMacAddict

slooksterPSV
Dec 29, 2006, 01:58 AM
When I was a sophomore in High School I got into a Graphics Design program, and there were only Macintoshes in the classroom. I used one, found out some nifty features and was impressed. I had always wanted to look at a Mac, but was embarrassed to in compUSA. Well, our whole house had PC's in it and I'd always fix them upgrade them and troubleshoot them. I was using my PC the one day and I had to go download 4 separate programs just to fix and speed up my computer - the programs were Spybot S&D, Avast! Anti-Virus, Ad-aware, and TweakUI. After using all these tools + defragmenting and check-disk I started to look at all the Linux OSes out there.

I always liked to toy around with a different GUI and what not. So I partitioned my Windows computer and put Linux on a partition and used it. I wasn't satisfied with the installation of software one bit (till I finally played around with it more in my Junior, senior, and now years of school), so I went back to PC's. I started to learn more about macs and finally decided to get one because Exposť had me hooked and PC's were starting to really frustrate me with all you had to do to keep them even running. Don't get me wrong, I love doing it, I like IT stuff so yeah, but still it gets frustrating when every 5 minutes - "Shawn my computer doesn't work, shawn there's a virus, shawn I can't connect to the internet, shawn, shawn, shawn!!!" ouch yeah. This was just from my family, + I had my own issues I had to resolve with Windows (and we're talking XP as well! We all had XP in the house (2 computers) so yeah). When I got my first Mac - a Powerbook Wallstreet, from the forums it had Mac OS 9.2.2 on it.

Now I didn't care for OS 9.2.2 so I looked up what version of OS X I could install - Jaguar. I ordered Jaguar from... uh... what's it called oh heck, i can't remember. When I installed Jaguar, the OS was still fast for it being so advanced on 233MHz machine. OS 9.2.2 didn't run that well (of course it didn't have True-Multitasking). My teacher had some extra licenses on software so he let me install it - he bought 30 licenses of Adobe Suite and Macromedia suite, but only had 25 computers in his lab. I was in love with OS X cause it ran fast even on a slow machine!

Anyways, the main windows event was being called to help fix household computers every 5 minutes - here at home. I'll shorten the story. You guys know the rest, I got an iMac G3, sold the PB, bought an iBook G3, then my dad bought me this iBook G4.

Cloudgazer
Dec 29, 2006, 02:50 AM
My first computers were the Mac Classic and then a Powerbook 140.
I used to laugh at my brother who was using Win3.1
It seemed so clunky in comparison with System 7.

However, at the time the exchange rate was ridiculous, and Apple didn't have much of a presence in SA. In other words, Apple was hellishly expensive and there was little to no support, and no way to get software.
I switched to Windows with the release of Win95.
But I never forgot my mac experiences - and for 10 years wanted one.

I finally had the opportunity and money to get a G4 Powerbook.
I have never been happier.
I will never go back.

cbrain
Dec 29, 2006, 05:06 AM
Okay...so here are problems that I had with my Windows P.C:

My graphics card was dying on me, it took 30 mins to start up, I was sick of getting terified of getting a virus every time I downloaded something and there is alot more after that.

My new iMac is great, it just works! No viruses, theres drivers preloaded, it's much better than my old Windows P.C!

Benjamindaines
Dec 29, 2006, 09:25 AM
I know I said I've always had Macs, but I did have a PC once (while I had a Mac :))

My first thoughts were "wow this is really fast". Of course this was judged on opening IE before I knew it was always running. But then after no more than 10 mins of being connected to the internet (didn't set up the firewall yet) I got slammed with the SASER (if that's how you spell it) virus. So I contacted the manufacture and the sent me full restore discs (not the crap XP one the comes that needs you to reinstall all the drivers on your own, this reinstalls everything to how it was when the PC was shipped). So I re installed everything, setup the firewall before connecting to the internet, and buy the time I got everything I needed loaded on it (Programs) it was almost as slow as my Mac (old PowerMac running OS 9) so I just though sod it and bought the G5.

CDailey
Dec 29, 2006, 06:22 PM
Windows sucks and OSX doesn't. That's why I switched. :D

Seriously though, I'm starting college soon (in about 10 days actually) and I'm going into graphic design and my college uses Macs so I kinda needed one. Also, I just got sick of Windows :D

winterdude010
Dec 29, 2006, 09:46 PM
slow. viruses. blue screen of death. couldn't keep the computer on for more that 2 hours before it crashed.

Mammoth
Dec 29, 2006, 10:31 PM
Well my dad's Dell laptop messed up at work, it went into the new and improved BSOD and said some file was broken or something, and proceeded to "Dump physical memory" which took ages, and my dad just gave up and did a cold boot. Pretty sad.

xsedrinam
Dec 29, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm not a switcher, (Macs since the 90's), but I had to do some maintenance on my mother in law's Dell (Windows 98) a few week's back. Shes' 77. I ran Ad-Aware and got 228 files which needed to be quarantined. One showed a keystoke logger, another, an attempt at taking over her System. Just for kicks, I run MacScan2 on three of our Apple boxes from time to time. I've yet to have one spyware listing on any of them.

ghanakidd
Jan 1, 2007, 06:34 AM
Really an accumulation of things. Mainly, trying to teach Windows to others and providing informal tech support to family and friends. (How many times can you answer the same question?). Also, time lost due to upgrading, updates, contacting tech support, blah, blah, blah.

Ironically, I haven't truly abandoned XP (have it installed via Bootcamp), but I use it maybe 10% of the time (maybe 5%).

QuarterSwede
Jan 2, 2007, 08:14 PM
you know what i want in a computer? something i can turn on, and start using. windows doesnt provide you that.
So, so true. My wife's XP box (which she hates) is exactly like that. My PowerBook does. Slap the lid closed when I'm done and open it when I want to use it. The best part? I can start using it as soon I get my fingers on the keyboard or mouse. OS X's modular UNIX design is a thing of beauty.

By the time my MBP arrived, my Windows machine took over 4 minutes to boot. It was good to get back to sub-30s boot times.
And that's when you HAVE to reboot. But seriously, who does unless they have to.

I want to do things with my computer besides have it be a glorified Tamagotchi, with me taking care of the ... thing all the time.
"Glorified Tamagotchi." Hahaha, nice touch.

I agree that a well maintained PC will work without incident, but who want's to maintain their PC?? I much rather come home knowing my iMac will have the lights on for me, and know when I'm home (bluetooth is great). It just works. End of story.
And that, my friends, that is exactly why I won't go back to a Windows (or Linux) machine. Perfectly put.

I basically switched because XP's built in search. I was just so tired of maintaining and tweaking the system that I was looking elsewhere (Linux, etc.). When Jobs previewed Tiger, Spotlight single-handedly blew me away ... and I was hooked.

Side note: My old roommate and good friend was once so agitated and aggravated at XP that he literally threw his computer off the second story dorm balcony and his keyboard onto the wall right above me hitting me with key shrapnel. I've never seen someone do that to a Mac (and yes, I was actually pelted with keyboard keys as the keyboard exploded). I burst out laughing and fell out of my seat. That was one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

jessep28
Jan 6, 2007, 12:25 PM
I wonder what Google will do now that their Desktop software will pretty much be obsolete with Vista's ripoff of Spotlight.

jessep28
Jan 6, 2007, 12:30 PM
My last post made me remember this video a friend Linked me from tne NY times:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=d14603c1e23e6ce37920a8134a2e27b1405a4991&rf=bm

Shadow
Jan 6, 2007, 01:14 PM
My last post made me remember this video a friend Linked me from tne NY times:

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=d14603c1e23e6ce37920a8134a2e27b1405a4991&rf=bm

I officialy wish that every link going to either that video or the "Hi, I'm a Wii, Hi, I'm a PS3" video be banned, and the person who posted it should have their index fingers chopped off!

Incase you didn't get it, that video has been posted literally hundereds of times.

ricksbrain
Jan 6, 2007, 03:47 PM
I lost 3 windows pcs to lightening strikes/power surges. After the third, I thought someone was trying to tell me something. No power problems after switching.

Ahhh, divine providence. :D

Jimmieboy
Jan 6, 2007, 04:03 PM
The time that my computer crashed. Okay I thought I'd re-format. I did and then I had to reformat every two days because it kept deleting some stupid file that probably was the windows start up pic of something. :D

VoodooDaddy
Jan 7, 2007, 08:57 AM
Wow, great thread. Took me 2 days reading off and on at work to get through it all, and yes, I read every post. Some people have has some serious issues, while some people's Windows horror stories really are either hardware failure, user inexperience, or just plain exaggeration. I'm going to touch on a few before I get to my story:

Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a MS/Windows defender. I used Windows for a long time, had 4 of 5 boxes I built myself, didn't get the whole Mac is better attitude. But I currently have 3 Macs, all bought with the last 7 months.

1) Hardware failure is not MS' fault. Look around the forums, there are plenty of hardware problems with Macs at this site alone. I like the "my hard drive failed and I lost everything. That was it for me" posts. Apple uses the same manufacturers for their hhds as are found in many Windows machines. A) you should have backups B) I'll repeat, hdd failure isn't MS' fault

2) I've seen a lot of people claiming they had to format daily, or several times a week, or every other month. I'm sorry, but this is either gross exaggeration of you are going to questionable sites that may give you a trojan or worm, or are d'ling and installing every "free" app under the sun without knowing what is actually in the install pack. There is absolutely no reason to format, at most, more than once a year with XP. With Win98, every 6 months. I did that myself. But on my very last install of XP it was still going "fairly" strong 3.5yrs later.

3) Don't use IE. How many times do you have to hear how vunerable it is to security issues before you listen?? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Don't use it, period. Firefox is a far superior and safer choice.

4) People claiming Windows deleted all their files or some of their files. I suppose this could possibly happen in rare instances. But most likely its a virus that did this. In all the years I've used Windows I've never had 1 file deleted that I didn't do myself

5) Virus scanning, defragging, adware scanning daily. First, you shouldn't have to do all of this daily. I defragged maybe once a month tops, scanned virus maybe once a week, and adware scan once every few weeks if that. If you feel compelled to do all of these with more regularity, schedule it do it at night while you are asleep.

6) There was 1 person that posted a comment I found incredibly stupid. I'm sorry to call you out like this but they said "I was downloading something on Limewire and got a virus." That is YOUR fault, no one elses.

There were a few other thing I saw I could have commented on but those really stuck out.

Well, I didn't want this to get long winded but it already is. I'll post my story in the next post. I personally hate reading a post that is miles and miles long.

VoodooDaddy
Jan 7, 2007, 09:56 AM
Dbl post.