Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Blender, the once commercial freeware 3d modeling, animating, and rendering application, has just had it's first release as an open-source product. not all features of the 2.25 release are present (like the game engine), but there are some new features as well as bug fixes. the interface on this thing is quite daunting for those of us used to actual guidelines in a gui, but if you spend a while with one of the free manuals, you can turn out some amazing work.

visit this site for info and downloads http://www.blender.org/

and this one for example artwork http://www.elysiun.com/gallery.php

Jakub Szalamacha is my personal favorite at the moment, but they are all great.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Great, to go along with this Wings 3D goes great with blender. These two programs will give you everything you need for free, an awesome modeler and something to render it out. I've said it once and I'll say it again, Wings rivals most commercial modelers and it's free. Defiantely worth a download.

P-Worm

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I'm not too familiar with 3D imaging apps, except for Bryce, but everything else seems much different, from maya PLE to blender. I guess there's a learning curve, but I've found some documentation that seems really useful.

My only gripe is that the program behaves weird... I'm just wondering, would this program run better with Apple's X11 system? I'm no UNIX nerd, but I can tell you that it's non-OS X native menus and controls are hard to get used to, and don't seem to work all the time. It takes quite a bit of clicking to get anything to work, but getting a cylinder to render with no experience at all was quite an accomplishment for me...

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by P-Worm
Great, to go along with this Wings 3D goes great with blender. These two programs will give you everything you need for free, an awesome modeler and something to render it out. I've said it once and I'll say it again, Wings rivals most commercial modelers and it's free. Defiantely worth a download.

P-Worm

Wow... Wings3d has got to be the smallest, yet easiest to use modeler in the world! These two apps together would make quite a hit! They're both free (and open source, I presume), and are under 10 megabytes together when uncompressed... A big advantage when you don't have the room (or the budget) for Maya...

Oh, and I would recommend a 3 button mouse (2 buttons with a click-able scroll wheel works too.)

2 great apps for beginners like me...

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Originally posted by G4scott
My only gripe is that the program behaves weird... I'm just wondering, would this program run better with Apple's X11 system? I'm no UNIX nerd, but I can tell you that it's non-OS X native menus and controls are hard to get used to, and don't seem to work all the time.
it would behave the same regardless of the environment/operating system. we might as well have it as a native app than an x11 one. blender does not use gtk (i think it uses qt but i'm not sure, somebody correct me if i'm wrong) or any other gui tied to a particular system. this is good in that blender has the same interface whether you use it on linux, mac, be, etc. and bad in that you have to learn a new way of working.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Boy, talk about an app with a learning curve! I guess next time someone says pro audio software isn't very intuitive I'll have something to come back with!

Anyone already have experience with this software?

Dan

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
For shareware, Blender is probably one of the better packages out there, although its not immediately intuitive on how to get it to do everything you want.

I'll be sticking with Lightwave.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.