PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Vista may be delayed further

MacBytes
May 3, 2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft Vista may be delayed further (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060504001945)
Description:: Microsoft Corp.'s new Windows Vista operating system won't be widely available until the second quarter of 2007, months after Microsoft has promised, according to market research firm Gartner Inc.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

telegix
May 3, 2006, 11:38 PM
-- months after Microsoft has promised --

Don't you mean like years? :cool:

Superdrive
May 3, 2006, 11:51 PM
Only a few years...

Will we see iPod AV or Vista first? Place your bets.

I was reading on Thurrott's site last night about how poor he thinks Vista is. The folks at MS need to get it together, but as I say with this and the iPod, I'm glad they are making it just right instead of releasing some buggy POS to the market (even if it is a warmed over turd).

nagromme
May 3, 2006, 11:52 PM
Months or years... it depends on what you say is "Vista" vs. just "some new OS that was promised and never appeared." Early on in the process, MS definitely led people to anticipate that XP's successor would have been out years ago. But you could say that wasn't Vista, just something else that never happened, I guess. If you wanted to be nice :)

Macnoviz
May 4, 2006, 12:00 AM
Only a few years...

Will we see iPod AV or Vista first? Place your bets.

If you mean the next-gen iPod, than definitly that one first, if you mean the movie iPod with touchscreen, probably

Where can I place my bets?

Peyton
May 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
If you mean the next-gen iPod, than definitly that one first, if you mean the movie iPod with touchscreen, probably

Where can I place my bets?

Send all bets to my paypal account... everyone's a winner... or something like that ;) :p

Analog Kid
May 4, 2006, 07:26 AM
So much for the "we were ready but PC manufacturers asked us to delay the release" argument... Now we've moved on to "after we blew our customers Christmas season this year, they've asked us to hold off until next Christmas."

Or do you think they'll try to hang this one on the EU?

Passante
May 4, 2006, 08:09 AM
To paraphase a cetain Vulcan:

Vista users may find the wanting is better than the having .........:D

macFanDave
May 4, 2006, 08:16 AM
at my house! Bring your swimsuits, (no Speedos. please.)

Y'know, after being a consumer of software for many years, I've seen this pattern over and over again. Releases get pushed back several times and you know how that often ends up? Cancellation!

Are we finally seeing Microsoft get its comeuppance for its years of hubris? Always trying to one-up Apple and trying to horn into territories pioneered by others like AOL (IM), Netscape and, now, Google might have choked the beast from Redmond at long last!

One can only hope. . . On the other hand, when you've got John Dvorak on your side, you may want to tone down the outlandishness of your fantasy life.

j26
May 4, 2006, 08:22 AM
Is there any possibility that they're building a totally new OS and saying screw backwards compatibility? (or maybe even a Rosetta type app to deal with older stuff)

steve_hill4
May 4, 2006, 02:30 PM
I wish Microsoft would release an OS which has little to no backwards compatibility, it might help them move forward. If anything, Apple gets criticised more for adopting this approach more than anyone, despite manufacturers offering drivers for new hardware that ran on a 5 year old OS up to recently, even still do. They even offer Classic support with those few Macs on the PPC. They announce the dropping of this support and suddenly they are screwing all those who haven't switched to OS X.

If Microsoft adopted a similar approach, sure millions would curse them, but it would almost certainly help them. However, with so much third party hardware to support in a Classic Windows and other such problems, I can never see that soon.

xsedrinam
May 4, 2006, 02:35 PM
I don't see why Windows Users are so impatient with a release of an updated OS. I mean, wasn't the last one in.......2001.........?

:D
Couldn't resist. Hasta la Vista

steve_hill4
May 4, 2006, 03:10 PM
Since most are still happy with XP and Vista does little to nothing more, I can't see the masses getting too worked up by any more delays. If I asked Joe Average, he would probably say that XP was responsive and feature laden enough already. Once he had seen Vista, he would be impressed by one or two features, but be overall unimpressed. When he saw what extra hardware he would need to run those few cool things he liked, he would start to get annoyed.

This will only be bad for Microsoft from a publicity viewpoint and consumers will only get more annoyed with Microsoft if it gets reported a lot. If they aren't told, they will merely be non the wiser and blissful in their ignorance.

ATD
May 4, 2006, 03:31 PM
On the other hand, when you've got John Dvorak on your side

Hell must have frozen over

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=629B28CD9E0E48CA8E8B243AA6E2CB92&siteid=mktw&dist=nbk

Timepass
May 4, 2006, 04:28 PM
Since most are still happy with XP and Vista does little to nothing more, I can't see the masses getting too worked up by any more delays. If I asked Joe Average, he would probably say that XP was responsive and feature laden enough already. Once he had seen Vista, he would be impressed by one or two features, but be overall unimpressed. When he saw what extra hardware he would need to run those few cool things he liked, he would start to get annoyed.

This will only be bad for Microsoft from a publicity viewpoint and consumers will only get more annoyed with Microsoft if it gets reported a lot. If they aren't told, they will merely be non the wiser and blissful in their ignorance.
You know the same thing can be said about apple OS. We can go back to before Expose was added. Lets see you see the new OS and try to see what it adds. Expose at first glace looks like a gimic but really not that useful over all. Just a flashy eye candy. In realiity it very useful but to the average Joe it just looks pretty.

Even more resent is Tiger. You have dashboard. That looks like a gimic at first look. The Spot light. Yeah it looks kind of useful but then the though is how offen do I really search for anything on the computer. Not very offen so it mostly just a gimic.

I please get this straight I not calling them gimicy but at first glace tiger does not offer anything really new over previos verson. It just adds some flash and a few little things but it not worth buying a new OS for it. Reality is there are a lot of nice things that are there but nougthing you will see in just a glace.

Just figure I would point that out. Mind you M$ has really messed up on Vista. They can get away with it on vista but the next one they can not afford it and need to start doing away with some of the backward capiblity

roach
May 4, 2006, 07:51 PM
Apple should had also delayed MacBook Pro. Current issue with the MacBook is wayy more of a nightmare than delaying a product a few months.

Passante
May 5, 2006, 05:22 AM
snip
Even more resent is Tiger. You have dashboard. That looks like a gimic at first look. The Spot light. Yeah it looks kind of useful but then the though is how offen do I really search for anything on the computer. Not very offen so it mostly just a gimic.

snip

I agree with your assessment of Dashboard but Spotlight and all the spotlight associated find features in ilife is fantastic. I don't keep paper copies of journal articles anymore only pdfs. A quick search and I find what I need. No more structured folders names just so I can find something. Just spotlight.

Timepass
May 5, 2006, 08:49 AM
I agree with your assessment of Dashboard but Spotlight and all the spotlight associated find features in ilife is fantastic. I don't keep paper copies of journal articles anymore only pdfs. A quick search and I find what I need. No more structured folders names just so I can find something. Just spotlight.

i never said that it wasnt useful. I just stated at a glace it looks like a gimic. Same with expose and many of the other feature on OSX. Most of it at a glace just looks like a gimic and eye candy. The reallity is that a lot of those things are not gimics but to the average joe at first glace they look like it.

It all relative and it was posted because some one said the same thing about vista

Diatribe
May 5, 2006, 09:02 AM
If Apple really gets the new file system from Sun in and makes a new Finder, alongside updates to other things then Microsoft will be in a lot of **** when 10.5 is what Vista promised to be but couldn't.