Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Are there any decent portable, non-cd based mp3 players out for the mac other than the ipod?

I've also been wondering if you can sync the sony digital mp3 walkman with the mac. it this possible?

I'm in the market for an mp3 player, but cannot justify spending over 300 dollars for a simple music jukebox.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It depends on how many songs you want to store...

I understand not being able to justify the price of the iPod. $300 is a lot for a music player. But I love mine and it is the best MP3 Player HANDS DOWN. The UI is great and it is easily the best looking MP3 player.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
It depends whats your looking for, most non ipod mp3 players won't work with the mac

Some of the Nomads work with mac, but 6gigs and USB 1.1 suck ass, its way to slow. Check The Nomad Players here

thats all I can think off and I studied players for ages and I bought an mp3 cd player

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by Nipsy
The iBook?

I don't that would work, sticking your ibook in your pocket and going for a walk or something, I know the iPod is the BEST! but try a cd mp3 player, iriver.com has great ones, I have the top range one, its very cool

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Unfortunately you DO get what you paid for. It's a lot of money, but I didn't even flinch (well, maybe just a tiny bit) when I threw my credit card on the counter, and walked away $AUD1045 poorer. Best mp3 player in the known universe, is the iPod...

as mac15 suggests, a portable CD player that plays mp3s off CD-Rs is probably the best bang-for-buck player out there.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by losfp
as mac15 suggests, a portable CD player that plays mp3s off CD-Rs is probably the best bang-for-buck player out there.

I agree with that, but he said no cd-mp3 players. I suggest looking at the Creative Nomad MuVo. It's something like $149 for 128MB. It's a little expensive, but it also works as a USB flash drive. It's also really tiny. The only problem with it is that it has no LCD to see the song title, artist, etc.

Also consider looking at the Rio series (if it still exists). I have one and it works with iTunes without an drivers.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny

I agree with that, but he said no cd-mp3 players.

Oops, you're absolutely right. For value, you'd be looking at a hard-drive based player, like the archos jukebox, or maybe the creative nomad jukebox. For portability, the muvo, or definitely check out the rio players. I think they have a hdd one as well?

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Thanks for the info and comments guys.

I've looked at some of the iRiver portables and they are nice. Too bad their non-cd based players do not work with the Mac. I just want to get away from cds entirely.

I've considered the Rio line of players, but they seem to be fairly expensive when their storage capacity is considered. For the amount I would have to pay for a maxed out Rio (640MB) I could buy a 20GB iPod.

I've got about 1000 songs (VBR) which clocks in at little over 5gigs. I've been waiting for an iPod update. The way the rumors are going, a new, price-dropped 20GB seems a high possibility. The only thing holding me back from buying an iPod are the issues people have had with the batteries. I don't want to spend 400 dollars and then have to ship it back one year later.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by hitman
I've got about 1000 songs (VBR) which clocks in at little over 5gigs.

If you've got that much music and you don't mind an ugly device with a subpar interface get an Archos Jukebox 6000 (6GB capacity). I saw one at Fry's Electronics for $129 refurbished. A great deal for a lot of capacity.

Other than that, I say wait for the updated iPods (hopefully they'll have one for $199).

Glossybear

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny

If you've got that much music and you don't mind an ugly device with a subpar interface get an Archos Jukebox 6000 (6GB capacity).

Sub Par interface?

My god man. it is probably the WORST portable device interface that I've ever used. I returned it after 2 days because I found that I would rather listen to the crazy guy next to me on the bus than try and get my archos to play some tunes... Icky icky icky.

So then I go buy an iPod and what do you know... Now I am a mac-addict.

but seriously. Take the plunge and get an iPod. You will never know how great they are until you have one!

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Glossybear

Sub Par interface?

My god man. it is probably the WORST portable device interface that I've ever used. I returned it after 2 days because I found that I would rather listen to the crazy guy next to me on the bus than try and get my archos to play some tunes... Icky icky icky.

So then I go buy an iPod and what do you know... Now I am a mac-addict.

but seriously. Take the plunge and get an iPod. You will never know how great they are until you have one!

Yeah... the archos is crap. It's really cheap, though. But the Rio Riot 20GB for $160 is a great deal. I suggest going with that if you're ABSOLUTELY sure you won't get en iPod (even if they're price dropped to $199). The only problems with the Rio Riot are that:

a) The interface is nowhere near as nice as the iPods.
b) It's A LOT bigger than the iPod. It will not fit in your pocket unless you have giantic pockets.
c) I'm not sure what type of connection it has (USB, Firewire, etc.)

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
It's not that inexpensive, but cheapter per GB than the iPod, and almost as small, with not as sleek of an interface, but the Nomad Jukebox Zen might fit your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.