PDA

View Full Version : 10.2.4 Seeds - 6l31

MacRumors
Feb 11, 2003, 09:01 PM
Mac OS X 6l31 Developer and Client were seeded yesterday.

Kid Red
Feb 11, 2003, 09:39 PM
What's the delay? Mulitple people predicted every week for the past month for it's release, at least it sounds like Apple wants this to be a good bug free release.

mac15
Feb 11, 2003, 10:10 PM
Damn, whens it gonna be out? I'm eagerly waiting

oh and why do mac users love OS updates? Windows users loath a service pack

MrMacMan
Feb 11, 2003, 10:11 PM
I will again say apple is ironing out bugs and that many people already have many different versions of 10.2.4

Heck on the Xserve page it have the os AS 10.2.4 !

(I posted this 2 times in diff threads, no one cared)

Originally posted by mac15

Ours don't delete important files.

dukemeiser
Feb 11, 2003, 10:34 PM
Updates are just fun! Who knows what kooky and exciting features Apple will include in it's next round of OS updates. I scour the internet everyday looking for something to update! ANYTHING!!!!

bertinman
Feb 11, 2003, 10:35 PM
might not delete files... just overwrites them ;)

I'm not sure why we like them... I guess because we get new perks with each update, whereas on windows, the update is to stop someone from sueing microsoft for a security hole... I hope Apple makes it a habit to keep up to date with security. Otherwise, the apple updates will turn out to be like the microsoft ones...

-- bert

Phazer80s
Feb 12, 2003, 12:22 AM
Well, for one, bug fixes.

Updates always bring subtle improvements to OS X (and yeah, the occasional new headache.) Overall, it's like a grab bag of goodiesó you don't know what you'll wind up with, but it'll usually contain good things.

It's always a treat to see what nuisance about OS X Apple's got around to improving. 10.2.3 brought faster UI performance of IE, I think 10.2.2 brought OpenGL up to 1.4, etc. :cool:

This doesn't even count the little tweaks Apple seems to sneak in it's other product updates (Quicktime, the iLife apps) whichh affect performance beyond the target app.

Anecdoter
Feb 12, 2003, 07:43 AM
Does anyone one know if 10.2.4 address the dreaded fix_prebinding bug? Does it at least attempt to? I know that Apple has stated that this is error caused only by third party applications; however, one would think that Apple could do something to limit its scope.
Also, does anyone have a 10.2.x roadmap? Are we going to see 10.2.5, perhaps a 10.2.6?

iJon
Feb 12, 2003, 07:48 AM
its already made its way onto the internet. i found a web page that was directly hosting it. they have done it with every seed. im surprised they havent gotten shut down yet. although i have access to adc, i still hate installing beta os's. something alwasy seems to go wrong.

iJon

ilko
Feb 12, 2003, 09:35 AM
Hey, iJon, can you give us the address of that site?

Thanks

jayscheuerle
Feb 12, 2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by mac15

We love our updates because we're waiting for improvements.

Windows users loath their service packs because they didn't know anything was wrong.

dricci
Feb 12, 2003, 02:07 PM
My guess is that they're taking so long with 10.2.4 so it'll fix a lot of things and hold it's ground for a while (maybe so the developers can spend more time working on 10.3?)

davy the bunny
Feb 12, 2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ilko
Hey, iJon, can you give us the address of that site?

Thanks

probably not, since if he posts something like that here that site may get taken down and then he won't be able to use it anymore. . . not to mention another casualty of the Apple NDA. . . Maybe you should see if he'll give you the information in a more personal way, that is if you're not the narc! I'm just kidding.

crassusad44
Feb 13, 2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by iJon
its already made its way onto the internet. i found a web page that was directly hosting it. they have done it with every seed. im surprised they havent gotten shut down yet. although i have access to adc, i still hate installing beta os's. something alwasy seems to go wrong.

Wouldn't sharing a beta version of 10.2.4 be a very dumb thing to do? As far as I know, Apple has included IP tracking on all beta OS software. I would guess the e-mail from Apple Legal will not be to happy for all the warez users...

alset
Feb 13, 2003, 03:35 PM
I say hunt down beta-ware the old fashioned way by scouring the net for it. These forums aren't about that. (BTW - It's not hard to find. Really.)

I don't trust beta versions of the OS. I have heard of people who were unable to install updates because they had beta releases installed. I think it left them having to clean install from scratch, or some other tedious remedy.

Dan

BigJayhawk
Feb 13, 2003, 03:53 PM
Thw 10.2.4 update is now on SW Update:

The 10.2.4 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: Address Book, Classic compatibility, Finder, FireWire, Graphics, OpenGL, and Sherlock. It includes AFP and Windows file service improvements, as well as audio, disc recording, graphics, and printing improvements.

For detailed information on this Update, please visit http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n107362