PDA

View Full Version : Pre-N, 802.11n hardware

bousozoku
May 4, 2006, 08:42 PM
I read this week and last that a draft standard for 802.11n had been set.

This week, they're already starting to push standard products using the draft standard as a reference. Of course, this is problematic, at best, and assures incompatibilities across vendors. We already experienced this with V.34/V.FC and 802.11g. With the final standard a year off, will people actually purchase equipment now?

After seeing Linksys' latest router, which you can see in the middle of the attached graphic, I wouldn't be surprised if it does dishes and plots a trajectory to Mars all at the same time. :p

It doesn't look as cheap as some of their other efforts but it doesn't look all that sophisticated, either.

yg17
May 4, 2006, 11:21 PM
Did NASA design that router or something? Its awful.

Lollypop
May 5, 2006, 12:59 AM
I read this week and last that a draft standard for 802.11n had been set.

This week, they're already starting to push standard products using the draft standard as a reference. Of course, this is problematic, at best, and assures incompatibilities across vendors. We already experienced this with V.34/V.FC and 802.11g. With the final standard a year off, will people actually purchase equipment now?

After seeing Linksys' latest router, which you can see in the middle of the attached graphic, I wouldn't be surprised if it does dishes and plots a trajectory to Mars all at the same time. :p

It doesn't look as cheap as some of their other efforts but it doesn't look all that sophisticated, either.

I read that the version 1 draft got rejected... interesting. :confused: :confused:

Just wonder if the access point looks like a space telescope... what will the laptop accessories look like? Space shuttle on your desk maybe?

802.11n draft failed (http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/03/80211_draft_fails_vote/)