PDA

View Full Version : iPod Video - AVI to ipod video mass conversion

LastLine
May 5, 2006, 09:31 AM
So I just got myself a 5G ipod and I'm looking for a way to mass convert my current video collection to an iPod compatible version, now at the minute I'm going through Quicktime Pro and doing them one at a time but I figure there's got to be a quicker way than this. Anyone able to help (have searched, found no useful answers)

tdhurst
May 5, 2006, 10:06 AM
iSquint.org is your friend.

If you have a Mac, of course.

Videora works well for PCs, I believe.

LastLine
May 5, 2006, 10:59 AM
isquint looks like it'll do the job - slow, but doable. :)

tdhurst
May 5, 2006, 11:03 AM
Quicker than real time (Gen B 1.8ghz iMac G5).

I just set up a queue, head to work and then set up another before bed.

I love it.

LastLine
May 5, 2006, 11:12 AM
See mine's taking about 35 minutes for a 20 minute episode. On a latest Rev. 5G iMac with 1.5gb ram. Very weird. Anyone got any suggestions to improve performance?

tdhurst
May 5, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well...all I do is make sure it's the only program running. What settings are you using?

The only boxes I check are the iPod and h.264 ones.

LastLine
May 5, 2006, 11:22 AM
Well I've got Safari and MSN running at the same time as DVD player. I'll try killing them.

Does H.264 make a big difference to quality/size/time?

tdhurst
May 5, 2006, 11:41 AM
h.264 is designed to look good on your iPod's screen and it makes a HUGE difference in file size.

For example...an hour long episode might me 350mb in avi, 250 in mp4 and about 125 in h.264 (which is still an mp4 file).

It WILL take longer to encode, though.

Note...I watch all my movies on a 32" tv through my iPod, and YES, there is some artifacts and whatnot with h.264...but the file size trade off is MORE than worth it to me.

My roommates disagree, but to each his own. I just hate to carry around DVDs, so I want to fit as much on my iPod/laptop as possible.

LastLine
May 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
Another quick question - does anyone know of a way to differentiate video in an iTunes playlist? I don't want my standard playlist to have any video in it due to the battery issues, but don't want to have to check each seperately - two playlists - one that says "Is video" and one that says "Isn't Video" would be ideal. Can smart playlists do this?