Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
Here is my tale of what I went through to stay on the mac platform:

Tuesday - started first day of work. Promised a Mac 867 - was given someones used G400 9.0.4. 21" Monitor is fried and mouse won't click anything on the desktop.
Company uses Lotus notes and I find out are on a token ring network.
Swap out monitor for 15" - Reboot w/o extensions - Have 9.2.1 CD only - no CDs provided- had lent 9.0 and 9.1 to a friend.
Do not want to wipe drive - thinking I will need TokenRing Card drivers and Lotus setup.
By end of Tuesday have isolated problem with mouse- is now stable, install 10x.0 and upgrade to 10.1
But - no network yet. Boot back to 9 for lotus - realize I can't go back to 10x (startup drive to 10x not supported in 9.0.4) Finally get internet access and download 9.1 upgrade.
Lotus will not connect to server. - Play with settings, get missing files for it - still no go - give up - go home :mad:

Wednesday: Install up to 9.2.2 - can boot to 10x - and convince tech support to change wiring to e'net - work request entered - 4 day ETA.
Have network access but Lotus is still no go.
In between boots and stuff have usual new hire orientation and business meetings - people keep asking if I have notes access yet - but no:(

Thurdsay - know I will need a pc for IBM VisualAge and Websphere (for the classes I teach) - so a PC is unavoidable - may have to resort to that for Notes and biz stuff - but 10X 10.1.2 is stable and ok - if a bit sluggish (see 933 or DP500 posts) - Dave gives me complete network access. Net connection changed to ENET by 10am On 10X and upgrade to 10.1.2
F*ck it - I decide to download Notes - and do a clean install - what can i lose?
Lotus.com is down (of course) - go to lunch
On return - lotus is up - download R5 client for OS9 (after BS IBM registration hassle
:mad: )
Install and run Notes - after a couple of near misses (VERY suspenseful) Lotus Notes Works!
I am Home Free!!!!! Macs Rule
But Wait:
I download prerelease of R6 - install and run - native 10x -Woo Hoo - but slow... and crashes and won't restart and hoses R5 OH MY GOSH NO:mad: :mad:
Reinstall R5 - now stable and fine....

So - I stay on my mac - WOO HOO!

Now I have upgraded the Ram from 128(!) to 896 and adding a very fast SCSI drive - perhaps a DP500 upgrade card.

Yes, I could have avoided all this and just got PC - but the mac is worth it.

My main lesson????

Wipe the Machine and start from scratch from Day One !!!!!

Sometimes we get so caught up in pushing that big rock up the hill and forget there is an elevator next door!

:p

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Mac or death!!!

Originally posted by maclamb
Yes, I could have avoided all this and just got PC - but the mac is worth it.

Heh, yeah, except I'm SURE the PC would have come up with something to keep you just as busy. ;)

Ahh, a day in the life of a troubleshooter... :)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Hmm, yeah, I have those kind of problems, but on day three... I realise the Ethernet cable isn't plugged in... ;)

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
I realized THAT on day one - but it wasn;t the first thing i realized ;-)
- Whoever set up the machine plugged the cat5 cable into the enet port - not the token ring card!
Once fixed - BOOM I was on the net....

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
he he
that reminds me one time when I was using the mac scour beta before they got shut down.....thing gave me tons of invalid PEOFs >_<
took a week to backup everything for a reformat (didn't have norton at the time)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.