Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Hi all.

Quicksilver 2002, 867MHz, 1.5GB, 10.4.6, 120GB OSX and 600GB RAID

I'm editing a huge video project. I have two matched 300Gb drives that I've created a striped array from in disk utility, with 256KB blocks, because it's video. 20 hours of DV.

I've placed the drives on the primary i/f, set to cable select, on a Quicksilver G4 which does have large drive support. When copying from the OS X drive, which is on the secondary i/f with the superdrive - it works slowly there, but I just need fast video - the RAID array occasionally reports that it hasn't been properly put away, and dismounts.

I figure the solution to this is to buy a P-ATA IDE PCI card, put the OS X drive back on the motherboard primary i/f and put each of the 300s on its own channel of the P-ATA card.

However, there are four or five on the market and they all look the same. Soooo, bearing in mind what I am doing, and my limited indie filmmaker budget, which would you recommend? Or does anyone have a spare one they'd like to sell me? :)

Dave
http://www.plasticuser.com

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I personally like Sonnet. Their products seem to be consistantly good. That said, I don't currently use anything sonnet. My ATA IDE controller is from SIIG, and it seems to work with my RAID setup, though I don't have both drives running through it for space/airflow reasons (I ended up putting the other RAID drive in the Zip slot/optical drive cable)...

dex22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
Soooo...

My ATA-133 RAID card arrived today.

It works great!

My original is a WD 120GB 7200RPM 2Mb cache drive which managed sustained large block sequential writes of 50MB/sec.

My striped RAID is two Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM 16MB cache drives which achieve a steady rate of 105MB/sec on the same test. Both tests do uncached writes, so the 16MB cache on the two drives may make even better real-world improvements when streaming video.

I am very happy. Thank you.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You are more than welcome, glad to hear it worked out. :)

IMO, aside from the obvious RAID benefits, you are also gaining 14mb of cache per drive over your original one, which in a RAID setup is even more effective. For future purposes, I highly suggest never buying a drive with less than 8mb of cache, preferably 16 (though 8 is easily workable), 2mb is just too slow...

Also, the best test is simply your results. I use a lot of modded gear, so I find tests (like Xbench) are wildly inaccurate. I just go with my gut; if the machine is doing what I need it to at an acceptable (or preferably impressive) rate, I am happy. I'm a firm believer that numbers are impressive, but nothing beats getting what you need out of a machine. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.