Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danderso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I just came across an old powermac g4 for a really good price. The label on the power supply says that it is 237w (which googling has confirmed). I would like to use this computer to set up raid-5 with (4 drives). Do you guys think that the power supply would hold up?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Depends what else you run on it; I have three hard drives (two are a RAID 0), a processor upgrade w/fan, an added fan, a USB 2.0 PCI card, a PATA PCI card, 2 gigs of RAM (4X512), a DVD burner, and an added fan on the processor upgrade (wires jammed directly into a spare plug) and my machine runs fine with the stock power supply. I could look up all the power needs for each of those items, but I would say if you're keeping it simple and just running either the RAID itself (are you using is just as a RAID box?) or just OEM processor, couple sticks of RAM, and the motherboard along with the RAID, it should be fine...

danderso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
thanks for the reply,

I think the system will have the stock 450mhz processor, 2 sticks of ram, the raid card and the hard drives. I was also considering adding a usb2.0 card I had. I can't imagine the usb2.0 card would take that much power...

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You might be surprised by that. If it isn't essential, I'd suggest setting everything up first, making sure your system runs safely, then add the 2.0 card. But yeah, it sounds like you'll do ok with that set-up meeting your power needs. :)

danderso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2006
thanks again, anyone else have any thoughts/experiences they'd like to share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.