Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alset

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Now they are helping up verify the MHZ myth. This new chip will be slower than previous Intel chips, yet miraculously perform better! But, how can this be?! I thought the value of a chip rested solely in the clock speed! Wow, I guess we were all lied to buy Intel. Better hold on to our Macs. They might be viable after all!

Who'da thunkit?

(PS - I know this isn't Mac hardware, but it applies to us all)

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2003/tc20030211_8644_tc119.htm

Dan

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Hah!

I read about this on Slashdot. It is supposed to debut at 1.6Ghz. If Moto can get the G4 up to 1.6 by the time this thing comes out...

We shall see...;)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i heard that the 64bit chips intel was testing for pc use were clocking in in the mid 1.x ghz range (i'm not sure if it was a tuned down itanium or what) and they were scared that they had backed themselves into a corner with the whole mhz wars bit. what's scary about this is that if intel is willing to market a 1.x ghz chip as faster than there 2.x chips, it must be pretty damn fast.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Ooooooooo! If Intel decides to go that route, it just might turn out to be game time for Apple, at least in laptop arena.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
The new chip is the Intel Pentium M (as opposed to the current Pentium 4 M). It apparently beats the P4M in some tests and loses to it in others, yet it is about 600-800Mhz slower. The real kicker is that they are developing a chipset that uses the Pentium M (which cuts power significantly) with integrated wireless capabilities. I don't know if this is to say that they are actually building a card right onto the motherboard, or if this just means that they are finally going to build in an antenna like Apple has done so that they can finally get rid of external antennas which are stupid anyway. It is suppose to be a real challanger in the mobile market, so we can bet that they are going to advertise out the ass, which may hurt Apple in the long run. You know that they are not going to advertise that they are slower chips doing the same performance, but probably do as AMD has done and market them with the P4 performance equivalent Ghz. Time will tell whether what they are doing is a good thing or a bad thing.

In the desktop market, AMD is probably going to really hurt Intel with the hammer b/c unlike Intel, they are making their 64-bit processor still based in the x86 code so that no emulation or code mapping will be required to run 32-bit apps. Essentially, the Hammer is doing with the x86 that the Power4/970 are doing with the PPC code: complete backwards compatibility. You know that if IBM was not able to make it such, Apple couldn't adopt it or they would go under. They have had enough problems with their lack of backward compatibility in the past. I see it as one more moderate blunder and they are going to have to go to software only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.