PDA

View Full Version : Intel re-branding hints at the end of “Single CPU” Macs

MacBytes
May 8, 2006, 08:46 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Intel re-branding hints at the end of “Single CPU” Macs (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060508094638)
Description:: What’s in a name? Would a Conroe chip by any other name not run as hot? Well, we are about to find out. This morning Intel announced a new name for its upcoming round of processors. The chips, formerly known as Conroe (for desktops) and Merom (for notebooks) has now been re-branded under the single family name of “Core 2 Duo” chips.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

bigandy
May 8, 2006, 09:09 AM
i think we're unlikely to ever see an all dual core lineup of Macs, for the prime reason of cost.

sunfast
May 8, 2006, 09:11 AM
i think we're unlikely to ever see an all dual core lineup of Macs, for the prime reason of cost.

It'd be nice though.

avensis087
May 8, 2006, 09:12 AM

i'm pretty sure in the next year or two, prices will have dropped on dual-core systems and pretty soon Apple's lowest cost macs will be running at least two cores. never say never with technology!

mr

Chundles
May 8, 2006, 09:14 AM

Maybe not this year but when Intel start making quad-core chips the dual cores will be the cheap ones. This may be the last year of computers with one processor.

BOOMBA
May 8, 2006, 09:38 AM
Someone posted in the article's comments that the current Core Solo is a Core Duo with a core disabled.
Is that right?
Doesn't that mean the chips cost Intel the same to make?
Yet they charge less for a solo...
Seems like Cost shouldn't be an issue really on Intel's side in providing chips.
It is maybe just marketing so they can charge more for smething faster, even if it costs them the same to make.

iGary
May 8, 2006, 09:40 AM
Multiple core chips are the future, so eventually, yes.

Heb1228
May 8, 2006, 09:44 AM
Umm all the powermacs right now have dual core processors. iMacs do. The Macbook Pros all will. Right now only the bottom version of the mini has a single core. I think within a year we'll have all dual core Mac lineup.

dornoforpyros
May 8, 2006, 09:51 AM

Sure we will, the high end will just continue to be dual - duo core chips (aka quad). Eventually every computer being sold will have dual cores and people will be like "man, I've got this old g5 with 2 actual processors!" :p

yg17
May 8, 2006, 09:53 AM
It would be great marketing for Apple to be able to say "All of our computers have 2 processor cores!"

scottlinux
May 8, 2006, 10:01 AM
From TwiT: Someone looked at the current OS X kernel and saw it is made to handle up to 8 CPUS. So think about having dual-quad cores. Heh. Maybe in late 2007....

dr_lha
May 8, 2006, 10:35 AM
Someone posted in the article's comments that the current Core Solo is a Core Duo with a core disabled.
Is that right?
Doesn't that mean the chips cost Intel the same to make?
Yet they charge less for a solo...
I believe this is true, although the reason why Core Solos exist is most likely because a certain percentage of CPUs that Intel makes have one core that doesn't work in testing, so they are shipped as Core Solos for cheap, as opposed to being thrown in the Trash.

Note that all the Core Duo chips that they sell for a variety of prices are identical, the only difference between a 2Ghz Core Duo and a 1.66Ghz Core Duo is that the 1.66Ghz chip did not pass the test of running at 2Ghz, but was OK at 1.66Ghz. I.e. it has some flaw that makes the chip fail at high speeds. This is true for all CPUs produced. Its a numbers game.

Makosuke
May 8, 2006, 10:38 AM
Is that right?
Doesn't that mean the chips cost Intel the same to make?In all likelihood yes and no.

Yes, it could well be a dual-core processor with one core disabled. However, as with a lot of processor things, it's possible, and I'd say even probable (though I have no specific information in this case) that the second core is disabled because it doesn't run right.

That is, often the source for lower-speed processors of the same model is the same wafer as the higher speed ones, just that the lower-speed ones won't run as fast reliably. And it's common knowledge that some percentage of chips on a wafer have flaws and don't work at all.

So, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the single-core Core chips (or at least some of them) are chips where the flaw is in only one core, but the other runs reliably. Whether all of them are or not would depend on how much more expensive it is for Intel to make wafers for dual-core vs. single core processors, and how big the market is for the cheap ones--if it's small and the cost difference is small, then they're just squeezing extra profit out of "bad" chips. If it's a big difference and they sell a lot, they probably also make single-core wafers, but might get some use out of those bum dual-cores instead of wasting them.

wedge antilies
May 8, 2006, 11:28 AM

Sort of like IBM " only five people in the world will ever need a computer" comment.

Oh well, with that sort of forward thinking vision, you are a dead-cert to be the next leader of FEMA.:p

Wonder Boy
May 8, 2006, 12:17 PM
It would be great marketing for Apple to be able to say "All of our computers have 2 processor cores!"

I disagree. Potential switcheres won't know what that means. It will require work on their part which will turn them off to the idea of switching all together.