PDA

View Full Version : Will SanDisk Sour Apple's Tune?

MacBytes
May 8, 2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Will SanDisk Sour Apple's Tune? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060508171620)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mkrishnan
May 8, 2006, 04:27 PM
No.

zephead
May 8, 2006, 04:37 PM
*laughs his ass off*

No.

Blue Velvet
May 8, 2006, 04:42 PM
Don't know about elsewhere but the Sandisk ads on the London Underground are unintentionally hilarious.

'iMix, iSaunter, iSing... all thanks to one little MP3 player'

:D

dongmin
May 8, 2006, 04:55 PM
Sandisk??? Is this a joke?

Gotta be one of the more misleading, sensational headlines in a while...

jayb2000
May 8, 2006, 04:57 PM
I love how they talk about the shuffle, but do the comparison to the Nano.

I hope SanDisk does one thing, prods Apple to maybe drop prices a bit or start throwing in FM, better recording, etc.

But I don't see it being a real threat.

WildCowboy
May 8, 2006, 04:59 PM
I don't see them being able to pull this off, but they are sure in an interesting position to do so, being their own flash supplier.

wrldwzrd89
May 8, 2006, 05:44 PM
The article is poorly written (as others have pointed out), but it does raise some valid points. SanDisk is smart to take advantage of their own supply as well as try to offer something Apple cannot. However, I think their smartphone ideas are somewhat misguided. Yes, smartphones do have their merits, but, like most jack-of-all-trades type devices, they don't do anything exceptionally well. That alone will keep audiophiles away along with advanced users in all the other function areas. Also, for whatever reason, smartphones just haven't caught on in the market as a whole like everyone thought they would. For SanDisk, this is a very bad thing if they are aiming for a smartphone-like device.

sord
May 8, 2006, 07:20 PM
Ha - $200 for a 2GB nano or $180 for a sandisk whatever. I'll pay for quality - especially at only a $20 difference.

SanDisk will fail just like the rest.

bousozoku
May 8, 2006, 07:52 PM
Is price only a draw for people who really want convenience?

If you want a player that does the minimum and is price-concious, SanDisk will fit your need.

If you want something that works well, in multiple languages, that synchronises easily with a computer, and that requires little attention, you'll end up with an iPod of some sort.

Apple might lose some sales of the lowest priced shuffle but anyone who wants the nano or full-sized product wouldn't consider anything they offer.

shamino
May 9, 2006, 05:24 PM
Bring it on. As a consumer, I want competition. It can't hurt.

Either their device will flop - which won't impact me at all. Or it will succeed and spur Apple to improve the iPod - which will result in a better product for me to buy in the future.

If they can play AAC files and have a really good UI, I might even consider buying one. (Although probably not, since they won't ever get a license for FairPlay, and burn/rerip cycles are time consuming...)

Will SanDisk have a prayer? On the low-end, I think they definitely will. This is a market dominated by non-Apple devices anyway (since Apple is not interested in selling dirt-cheap equipment) and there's a lot of competition there. On the higher-end, I don't think so - people seem to really like the iPod UI (especially the click wheel) - which is not cloneable without a license (that Apple will never sell.)

As for integrating everything into a phone, we'll see. So far, multifunction phones have not done well. I love my RAZR as a phone, but I think it sucks as a PDA or as a digital camera. Others with these kinds of devices usually have similar feelings. Adding music playback (especially to a device that is regularly strapped for battery power) isn't likely to make the situation any better.

But none of this is certain, other than the fact that I'll enjoy watching the competition slug it out at CES :)