PDA

View Full Version : Fox Shows Added to iTunes Store

May 9, 2006, 01:46 AM
iTunes has unleased a raft of new additions - Fox (24!!) is the highlight but also some CARS material - big week for Apple!

MacRumors
May 9, 2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Touting Fox as the number one network for young adults and teens, Apple has added the Fox shows 24, Prison Break, Unan1mous, and Stacked to the iTunes Store, as well as first seasons of so-called "classic" shows Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Lost in Space.

Apple negotiations with Fox were reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/12/20051202070333.shtml) last December.

Jesus
May 9, 2006, 01:52 AM
Now Family Guy is only a matter of time...

Doctor Q
May 9, 2006, 01:53 AM
It looks like this is the Fox lineup:24 Season 5
Prison Break Season 1
Unan1mous Season 1
Stacked, Seasons 1 and 2
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1
Firefly Season 1
Lost in Space Season 1Those who notice other new content, please post.

edcrosay
May 9, 2006, 01:54 AM
24!! This is awesome news. Hopefully the Simpsons and Family Guy will follow.

lazyrighteye
May 9, 2006, 01:56 AM
D'oh!

Plecky
May 9, 2006, 02:00 AM
Are you ready for Firefly The Complete Series (no, not the first season since it didn't even last a full first season) to become #1. I know I am, it's been there many times on Amazon.com's top selling DVD's, and along with family guy deemed worthy enough and got a second breath. Unfortunately it's breath wasn't as long lived as family guy's has been, but Serenity was still a great film. If you haven't checked out this show, you're in for a treat. If you have, then I'm just preaching to the choir. As they say on GeekDrome, "if battlestar gallactica is star trek, then Firefly is star wars." Well that and what's better then if han solo got his own TV show? Firefly's not far off, purely amazing. Also, awesome with Buffy although S1 was somewhat weak (yet still better then a lot of things you find on TV, especially those shows' first seasons), hopefully they'll get the second and third one in their soon, since those are arguably the best (and my personal favorites). Ooo I'm happy even though I already own them on DVD, it's still awesome!:D

Staffroomer
May 9, 2006, 02:12 AM
I think this would dissuade some less honest people from simply downloading these shows using Limewire.

I still can't imagine myself watching them on an iPod though.

JINX to the two people above me! Now you can't speak till somebody says your name!!!

Hang on, is this "coincidence" the product of some kind of ad campaign?

vmardian
May 9, 2006, 02:13 AM
I highly highly recommend watching Firefly too.

musiclover137
May 9, 2006, 02:13 AM
Sweet! Stacked!! (.)(.)!!

May 9, 2006, 02:17 AM
Other 'networks' appear in the list (although they have temporarily disappeared from my screen) - Speed, Fuel TV and FX plus NBA which had already been announced

Check out the podcasts for the CARS movie - great viewing!!

m2uk
May 9, 2006, 02:17 AM
RESPECFULLY can Macrumors preface such news with "Only for U.S. Customers has..."

For others it is a big "so!?!?" moment :)

I believe the world for Apple products is just as large in the "ROW" area. Someone claimed it was greater but they couldn't back that up.

May 9, 2006, 02:20 AM
Sweet! Stacked!! (.)(.)!!

Didn't you get enough (.)(.) with the Swimsuit Videos? There's always the latest Warnie video that's doing the rounds...

JDOG_
May 9, 2006, 02:26 AM
I think this would dissuade some less honest people from simply downloading these shows using Limewire.

I still can't imagine myself watching them on an iPod though.

Yeah to me it still seems like a niche market, but obviously everyone's doing very well with this new model of distribution...especially the networks.

Still, for the discerning techie out there, it's honestly hard to convince them to spend $1.99 on a DRM'd 320x240 video they can buy the next day, when they can get a ~624x352ish version for free, about an hour after the show airs (East Coast Time) with no DRM via bittorrent.

I'm not advocating piracy, but that's the distribution model you're fighting if you're the content providers and the options you're looking at as a entertainment-seeker.

zv470
May 9, 2006, 02:33 AM
Whoooohoooo Firefly :) now if only someone made a Season 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc...

crazyjoeda
May 9, 2006, 02:33 AM
Could this be whats inside the boxes marked do not open until May 9th?

So no MacBooks today? That sucks, I still hope that they come out tomorow.

AT71
May 9, 2006, 02:41 AM
Finally!!! 24 and Prison Break. Then again, seasons ending.

May 9, 2006, 02:44 AM
How many US networks remain to join iTMS? CBS is one that comes to mind...do you think Steve wants all the majors on board before launching TV on international iTunes stores? Maybe there is some other piece to the jigsaw that needs to be right before going OS?

In Australia, one of the networks is offering up podcasts around one of their TV shows - so I am sure there is a lot of interest in the other iTMS jurisdictions - I just would love to know what Steve & Eddie are waiting for...

bigandy
May 9, 2006, 03:09 AM
some nice additions there...

just a shame they're all still US only. GRRR.

Els
May 9, 2006, 03:32 AM
I for one stop downloading a show with Limewire as soon as it's on the ITMS. It happened with Desperate Housewives, Lost, Battlestar Galactica and now with 24. Anything on negotiations with HBO? I'd like to add the Sopranos.

Renegate
May 9, 2006, 03:33 AM
It is a huge release by all counts! Now with negotiations with the music labels settled, Apple Corps won , the time has come for the next steps!

0s and 1s
May 9, 2006, 03:36 AM
What.....no Arrested Development???

:confused:

demallien
May 9, 2006, 03:42 AM
RESPECFULLY can Macrumors preface such news with "Only for U.S. Customers has..."

I believe the world for Apple products is just as large in the "ROW" area. Someone claimed it was greater but they couldn't back that up.

Lol. Don't get mad, get even! All you have to do is find yourself a friend with an American credit card, and ask them to buy you a gift certificate. You can use the certificate to create an American account, and then you're up and running. Works a treat for me in Paris. I love my iTunes TV :) Especially seeing as I don't own a television, just a 20" iMac.

Chundles
May 9, 2006, 03:42 AM
Hmm... nothing here again.

I doubt we'll ever get any TV shows.

iflipper
May 9, 2006, 04:19 AM
Hmm... nothing here again.

I doubt we'll ever get any TV shows.
none here in the UK either. I don't think they care that much about the video market outside the US.

liketom
May 9, 2006, 04:24 AM
none here in the UK either. I don't think they care that much about the video market outside the US.
i think apple thinks that the UK does not have TV ?:D

we all have iPod's with video and no TV shows to go on em :rolleyes:

Els
May 9, 2006, 04:24 AM
Lol. Don't get mad, get even! All you have to do is find yourself a friend with an American credit card, and ask them to buy you a gift certificate. You can use the certificate to create an American account, and then you're up and running. Works a treat for me in Paris. I love my iTunes TV :) Especially seeing as I don't own a television, just a 20" iMac.

True, I use that same construction. It might take a while for the tv-shows to appear in the Dutch ITMS and don't want to wait. My television is becoming redundant because I'm watching all my shows on my 12" PB. Who needs a home movie center?

angelneo
May 9, 2006, 04:49 AM
Firefly? I just spent the last few days ripping them from my DVD to put it in my iTunes library.... but anyway, good news, hopefully this can rejuvenates firefly fans again.

thejadedmonkey
May 9, 2006, 04:57 AM
Oh sweet, I'm gonna have to go on a downloading spree!

iflipper
May 9, 2006, 05:04 AM
i think apple thinks that the UK does not have TV ?:D

we all have iPod's with video and no TV shows to go on em :rolleyes:
I at least have a tv card and software which outputs to the correct format, but it would be so nice to download a series or two. I didn't know about the certificate workaround, I shall have to investigate.

Lollypop
May 9, 2006, 05:06 AM
international user here... yawn!

I could get a few gift certificates over here, but they ended up costing more than if I got the certificate myself while in the UK for example.

treblah
May 9, 2006, 05:19 AM
No 'King of the Hill'? :mad: :confused:

It's only a matter of time I suppose.

Hooray for '30 Days'! I have a man-crush on Morgan Spurlock. ;)

Trowaman
May 9, 2006, 05:35 AM
Not bad, I've been meaning to watch Firefly but never had the time to borrow the DVDs and I'm not a big fan of watching it on tv with the commercials and all. Loved the movie though. I just might get an episode or two . . .

Again though, where is Family Guy, Futurama, and The Simpsons?

Looks like CBS and WB are the last two. And once the WB comes on the floodgates open with much more than just Smallville. I'm thinking the old stuff like Animaniacs, as well as cartoon Network (with Adult Swim). CBS could introduce Letterman though.

I think Letterman should offer a video podcast of his top ten list each night, but that's just me.

phatspider
May 9, 2006, 05:35 AM
Great news - for those in the US!

Is there a way (legit or not) for a UK person such as me to access the US content? What would I need - a US credit card?

sam10685
May 9, 2006, 05:49 AM
...House, The Simpsons...

(L)
May 9, 2006, 05:53 AM
Probably doesn't stop here...I could see this going further IF successful...teenagers are a good way in. Of course, it probably will be successful, but will it be enough to get the Simpsons on there? (Hint to Fox people - Simpsons shows are being downloaded illegally too, you know...it COULD make a ton of money, but only if you do it right.....)

p0intblank
May 9, 2006, 05:54 AM
Finally!!! Now all they need to do is get Family Guy, The Simpsons, and American Idol up there and they'll sell like crazy. :D

(L)
May 9, 2006, 05:56 AM
Great news - for those in the US!

Is there a way (legit or not) for a UK person such as me to access the US content? What would I need - a US credit card?

We might see a switch in this soon...I think you need an US iTMS account or US iTMS Gift Certificate or whatever, but I'm no expert. Still, as there is demand for it internationally, American media content will eventually work its way... maybe a step towards global broadcasting over the internet...in Japan there is even the History Channel, for crying out loud. Doesn't hurt later sales to sell them now for more/the same.

Bern
May 9, 2006, 06:15 AM
Not here in Australia... of course.

No movies for you!! (in Soup Nazi voice)

Macnoviz
May 9, 2006, 06:15 AM
Yeah, yeah, woohoo, but we really want TV shows in other countries than the US !!:mad:

Renegate
May 9, 2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah, yeah, woohoo, but we really want TV shows in other countries than the US !!:mad:
The problem is that shows in other countries generally air a lot later than in the US (also due to speech synchronization); it would probably hurt their sales if all english savies could see them earlier. So then shows in the respective countries probably belong to local networks who have bought the rights - a lot of hassle to negotiate around these.

drater
May 9, 2006, 06:33 AM
ITS ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!!!!!

funny how 24 and prison break are almost over....bastards!

mi5moav
May 9, 2006, 06:39 AM
what the heck are those two huge blue gaping holes on either side of the top 3 banners? Are we going to see something new up there? Ads? TV schedules, I guess will see with the new Itunes 7 layout

Ohmeohmom
May 9, 2006, 06:40 AM
Not just Fox shows they put on Fox owned FX too!!! The Sheild, Black and White, 30 days and Always sunny in Philly

Also Fox owned Fuel Tv and Speed channel!

iJawn108
May 9, 2006, 06:41 AM
What about ALF, Perfect Strangers, Pilot Guids and Sex and The City for the Ladies. :p

Lollypop
May 9, 2006, 06:46 AM
The problem is that shows in other countries generally air a lot later than in the US (also due to speech synchronization); it would probably hurt their sales if all english savies could see them earlier. So then shows in the respective countries probably belong to local networks who have bought the rights - a lot of hassle to negotiate around these.

I also think this is the case, but apple has to do something if they want to release a big screen ipod, its all nice that the US folks has content but the rest of the world isnt going to be to happy if they buy a expensive piece of equipment and cant buy any content.

BWhaler
May 9, 2006, 06:49 AM
Very exciting.

I can't wait for the Simpsons. Having the Simpson will be absolutely key...

fixyourthinking
May 9, 2006, 06:56 AM
It'll be interesting to see how well Firefly as a download does ... after the movie that it's "fanbase" demanded be made and sites like slashdot hyped up endlessly ... yet tanked at the box office.

This show and the series was pretty boring ... maybe it will be the nail in the coffin.

On the other hand ... good to see 24 and Prison Break ... we just need the Simpsons.

What about ALF, Perfect Strangers, Pilot Guids and Sex and The City for the Ladies. :p

ALF (NBC), Perfect Strangers (ABC), and Sex and The City (HBO)

iflipper
May 9, 2006, 07:04 AM
I also think this is the case, but apple has to do something if they want to release a big screen ipod, its all nice that the US folks has content but the rest of the world isnt going to be to happy if they buy a expensive piece of equipment and cant buy any content.
It's quite simple - I won't buy one! There's no real incentive at the moment (a few robbie williams and coldplay videos do not justify the outlay). I'm not meaning to rag on apple, but it is very frustrating every time one of these announcements appears.

May 9, 2006, 07:11 AM
I don't think that there are too many issues associated with the different timing of release of shows in the US compared to elsewhere. For iTMS in Australia example, the network that has the rights for the show in Australia would negotiate with Apple and upload the show to the Australian store 24hrs after it screens in Australia - it doesn't matter that Australia is out of sync with the US in this case.

We are a long way away from US airings being available in Australia (or elsewhere) 24hrs later (on iTMS I'm talking about here) - but I just can't see what is holding Apple back from negotiations with Australia networks to get the shows onto iTMS AUS the day after they air in Australia - for example. My only guess is that there is something Apple is hoping to acheive with TV on iTMS in the US before moving to offshore markets.

Buschmaster
May 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
Could this be whats inside the boxes marked do not open until May 9th?

That's my guess.:(

aegisdesign
May 9, 2006, 07:36 AM

But then you end up with American TV Shows. Shouldn't they be paying us to watch them? :)

Lollypop
May 9, 2006, 07:40 AM
It's quite simple - I won't buy one! There's no real incentive at the moment (a few robbie williams and coldplay videos do not justify the outlay). I'm not meaning to rag on apple, but it is very frustrating every time one of these announcements appears.

I 110% agree, my 30gig ipod is getting a bit small but only because I use it as backup meduim as well. Im asuming apple wants to use video content as insentive for people to get a video ipod, the way their going the vidoe ipod will be US only!

imikem
May 9, 2006, 07:41 AM
Finally, I can see all the "hours" of 24 that I miss when the inevitable conflicts with my family schedule occur. :cool:

Yes I'm aware of the various means of recording, but my house seems to be eternally in remodeling mode (http://www.menards.com/), so the requisite gear just doesn't get set up most of the time. :(

SiliconAddict
May 9, 2006, 07:52 AM
PS- I don't even like 24... I mean come on. Were they attempting to figure out how many times you could get kidnapped in 24 hours? Oh well. To each their own.

deadturtle
May 9, 2006, 07:54 AM
Glad to see firefly here, even if it didnt make it in the real world... does that mean the extra long pilot as well? Cause the would be cool, jeez every time I try to move away from iTunes apple comes back with something I cant miss.

Well, to quote Mal, my wallet 'better make peace with your dear and fluffy lord'

deadturtle
May 9, 2006, 07:56 AM
Ok, so I should have just edited my previous post, but this is kinda a seperate thought... Firefly makes it really really really really hard to resist a video ipod if/when it ever shows up...

MrCrowbar
May 9, 2006, 07:57 AM
Speaking of watching videos...

How can I enable VSYNC (vertical synchronization) in Tiger? I read it was on on previous OSX releases... It's annoying to watch movies with fast cuts and camera movements without it <hugging the good old XP mashine>. I mean, it's on in Quicktime and Front Row but I can hardly play any video with those because of the codecs...

I use VLC Player because Quicktime can't play my files and I like full screen. Anyone knows how I can enable VSYNC there? Or maybe another player that does? Or can I get codecs for quicktime to watch it all in frint row? I know, I should hook it all up to a TV, but it's so small and ugly compared to my 20" display :D .

I'm not really into 24 here. Never really watched it actually. Might give it a shot.

April Dancer
May 9, 2006, 08:01 AM
OK, forgive me for beng a little slow here but I think I'm missing something...

I'm in the UK so don't have TV shows on iTunes yet. But, I have about 250 episodes of various programmes on my iPod. I can't see I would ever buy anything like that from iTunes as I prefer to rip the shows I like from the dvds rather than choose from the selection they have. Unless their selection is huge I can't see what's to get excited about? :confused:

scottlinux
May 9, 2006, 08:09 AM
The reason this is US only at the moment is because of copyright law and royalties. Actors/producers/etc get royalties for each tv show you download. And this gets complicated when it involves selling to a non-US audience, among other regulations/taxes of the overseas country.
It's a mess, and that's why it took apple months to get iTunes store to other countries in the first place (music copyright law/royalties). It has to comply with many laws and taxes in various forms. Long session with attorneys to work it out. So you can't just pop US content into a UK store, or other store without having it legal.

It will probably happen for these shows, but will take awhile.

dizastor
May 9, 2006, 08:09 AM

I'd say you still have 3 hours before all hope is lost. New products are usually unveiled around 9am Pacific Time.

The fact that e3 starts today makes me think Apple wouldn't release a macbook just so as it wouldn't get burried by console news.

rockthecasbah
May 9, 2006, 08:16 AM
House, Simpsons, and Family Guy are the 3 best shows fox has, all missing from this addition...

iflipper
May 9, 2006, 08:17 AM
OK, forgive me for beng a little slow here but I think I'm missing something...

I'm in the UK so don't have TV shows on iTunes yet. But, I have about 250 episodes of various programmes on my iPod. I can't see I would ever buy anything like that from iTunes as I prefer to rip the shows I like from the dvds rather than choose from the selection they have. Unless their selection is huge I can't see what's to get excited about? :confused:

Single episodes you've missed or you just don't want the whole series, not having to spend as much on media which takes up shelf space, convenience (no messing with conversion)? Same arguments as for buying digital music really.

dextertangocci
May 9, 2006, 08:19 AM
I am so angry. All these programs take such a loooooooong time to be broadcast in South Africa, and I can't even buy them from the music store:( I do have a German billing address and credit card, but they don't sell videos.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JGowan
May 9, 2006, 08:22 AM
Sometimes my DirecTV Satellite DVR hiccups and doesn't get all my shows (including American Idol). I hate that they dont offer that one! Man!

Porchland
May 9, 2006, 08:26 AM
How many US networks remain to join iTMS?

Here are the major content distributors, whether they are represented on iTunes and some of the shows they produce. (Distributor and network are not necessarily redundant here: "Scrubs" for example (available) is produced by ABC Touchstone and distributed by NBC. "My Name is Earl" (not available) is produced by Fox and distributed by NBC.)

ON iTUNES:
* Disney/ABC ("Desperate Housewives," "Lost," ABC Family, Disney Channel shows);
* Universal/NBC ("The Office," "Law & Order," Bravo, USA shows)
* Viacom (MTV, Comedy Central, Showtime shows)
* Fox ("Prison Break," "24," FX shows)

NOT YET ON iTUNES:
* CBS ("CSI," "Survivor")
* Warner Brothers ("Friends," "ER," "The Sopranos," "Smallville")
* Sony/Columbia ("Seinfeld")

There are also plenty of shows by the four on-board networks that are not available yet on iTunes -- and probably for various reasons: spreading them out, shows produced by networks that are not yet distributors on iTunes (CBS, WB and Sony), and all kinds of licensing and rights issues.

For example, Touchstone ABC produces "The Ghost Whisperer" and "Criminal Minds," which are distributed by CBS. NBC produces "House," which is distributed on Fox.

King World ("Oprah," "Dr. Phil") is owned by CBS, and Oprah already has a satellite radio deal, so that could be part of a CBS/iTunes deal. (If Oprah deems it acceptable.)

Once the last three producer/distributors are on board, iTunes will have the content it needs to upgrade the video quality of its shows, reposition the Mac mini as a true DVR/on-demand machine, and make a frontal assault on cable and satellite.

I can't wait.

Porchland
May 9, 2006, 08:36 AM

Apple is rumored (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0603movies.html) to make movies available when the iPod video is announced. Since Apple already has four TV producer/distributors on board (Disney, Universal, Viacom/Paramount and Fox) that also produce movies, I would say there is a good chance that this is true.

If they delay the announcement until fall, "Cars" could very well be the first film released.

Over Achiever
May 9, 2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Mal
May 9, 2006, 08:48 AM
Firefly is definitely the best part of that release. I already have the entire series on this computer, but I'd think about it just so someone might take notice again and give Firefly some new life. I'd love a new season, or even just another movie, that was the best sci-fi series to ever hit television (yes, far better than BS:G or ST).

jW

balamw
May 9, 2006, 08:50 AM
NOT YET ON iTUNES:
* CBS ("CSI," "Survivor")
* Warner Brothers ("Friends," "ER," "The Sopranos," "Smallville")
* Sony/Columbia ("Seinfeld")

Only one quibble with your analysis.

CBS is wholly owned by Viacom, so the fact that Showtime, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central are all here, but not CBS is a bit odd.

Note also that Warner's TV properties also includes the mighty HBO and the former Turner channels like Cartoon Network that could have iTMS appeal.

B

iAlan
May 9, 2006, 08:51 AM
...it is still called a 'Music Store'...

Fiveos22
May 9, 2006, 08:52 AM
What.....no Arrested Development???

:confused:

Exactly. Damn Fox, stop killing the horse that you already starved to death.

dansgil
May 9, 2006, 08:58 AM
I'v always wanted 24 and Prison Break on iTunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

balamw
May 9, 2006, 08:59 AM
Exactly. Damn Fox, stop killing the horse that you already starved to death.
Well Fox shouldn't get all the blame, AD is produced by Imagine (Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's company) as is 24. So it may be more that Imagine has decided the show is dead after the Showtime deal fell apart, so why push it.

B

unigolyn
May 9, 2006, 09:00 AM
I wonder if the video iPod comes with a 'do not steal tv shows' sticker, because that would be rich on a device sold in Canada. All major shows like 24, House, Lost, The Office, etc are already broadcast here at the exact same time as the US, and I'm at a loss as to why Apple doesn't procure the rights to sell them to me on iTMS. Sorry, but if my only option to get a show legally is to a) buy it on DVD for $65 canadian when and if it comes out and rip it or b) buy gift certificates on eBay with which to set up a bogus US account, rest assured I'll be bittorrenting like there's no tomorrow.

Also, once the Fabled Beast of Gorgoroth aka the "real" video iPod comes out, Apple simply has to get content for the rest of the world, or just withdraw iPods bigger than the nano from those markets. It's like selling beer steins in Saudi Arabia.

teme
May 9, 2006, 09:01 AM
Now, please, some video content to the EU iTMS!!! At least music videos! I won't buy a new iPod with video until I can actually buy some video content to it.

aftk2
May 9, 2006, 09:13 AM
Well Fox shouldn't get all the blame, AD is produced by Imagine (Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's company) as is 24. So it may be more that Imagine has decided the show is dead after the Showtime deal fell apart, so why push it.

B

Probably true - but since/if the show has already run its course, you'd think they'd be interested in putting whatever episodes they have up online, to try and recoup some of the costs - it'd probably be worth it, since us Arrested Development fans put the FAN in fanatical.

/me waits for "Skating with Celebrities"...

Mechcozmo
May 9, 2006, 09:22 AM
Are you ready for Firefly The Complete Series (no, not the first season since it didn't even last a full first season) to become #1. I know I am, it's been there many times on Amazon.com's top selling DVD's, and along with family guy deemed worthy enough and got a second breath. Unfortunately it's breath wasn't as long lived as family guy's has been, but Serenity was still a great film. If you haven't checked out this show, you're in for a treat. If you have, then I'm just preaching to the choir. As they say on GeekDrome, "if battlestar gallactica is star trek, then Firefly is star wars." Well that and what's better then if han solo got his own TV show? Firefly's not far off, purely amazing. Also, awesome with Buffy although S1 was somewhat weak (yet still better then a lot of things you find on TV, especially those shows' first seasons), hopefully they'll get the second and third one in their soon, since those are arguably the best (and my personal favorites). Ooo I'm happy even though I already own them on DVD, it's still awesome!:D

They aren't Widescreen though. They even cropped down Serenity to fit! (The first episode was shown widescreen, the rest filmed widescreen and shown... not...)
I'm gonna have to buy the DVDs to get the pretty version :p

MacVault
May 9, 2006, 09:34 AM
Glad to see 24 on there just because my girlfriend and my dad like it, but when is Apple gonna give us some cool stuff, like The Family Guy, The Simpsons, Modern Marvels, Extreme Engineering, Engineering Disasters, Real TV, Maximum Exposure, etc. Oh, and how bout some MOVIES! WTF! What's it gonna take to get some good movies on there? Maybe it's gonna require Windows Vista! Haaaaaaaaa!

If all people like are these stupid, overly-dramatized, liberal-agenda-ized, everyone-tolerate-each-other, TV shows, wow, how sad!

MrCrowbar
May 9, 2006, 09:40 AM
Grey's Anatomy anyone?

Still got my VSYNC problem :-(

ccperkdog
May 9, 2006, 09:43 AM
Well adding Fox content couldn't have come at a better time since I forgot to set my TiVo last night, but I was very dissappointed when after downloading what I thought was last night's episode of "Prison Break" titled "Go" I played it back only to find out it was the week befores episode. Sloppy quality control when rolling out a new product I guess. My email is in with iTMS tech support but I wanted to get out a warning to others before they run into the same problem.

the_mole1314
May 9, 2006, 09:53 AM

Read it again if you didn't. I agree in full with what he says. Again: BUY FIREFLY! YOU WILL BE THE BEST $25 YOU SPEND THIS MONTH/YEAR! If you don't believe me, then just buy the first hour and a 1/2 episode for just $2!

Grasbak
May 9, 2006, 10:02 AM
I am sure this will be an old question..... am I able to purchase things from the US store when I live in the UK?

Queso
May 9, 2006, 10:20 AM
Please try and understand that the situation with these TV shows in the US is different. The networks that screen the shows also make them. There are no contracts for distribution with other providers, they just sign with Apple, sell the show and any revenue generated is a bonus.

Outside of the USA, those same American networks make hundreds of millions of dollars by selling the rights to screen a show to international networks, under contracts that give this third party international network sole rights to broadcast the program in their territory for a period of time. Only when the exclusivity time expires can the content creator renegotiate the contract in a way that allows them to also put the show on that country's iTMS.

With existing content, the agreements are in place. Until they expire, the show cannot be put on iTMS without opening up the show's creator in the US to a lawsuit for breach of contract. There is also a problem with new content. If the creators put the show on iTMS, they will get less money from the international networks they wanted to sell it to, because the agreement is no longer exclusive. It is only when the iTMS revenue begins to outweigh the losses from ending the current arrangement that we'll see US shows on iTMS stores outside of The States.

However, this doesn''t stop Apple from negotiating with producer/networks in other countries to put locally produced content on that country's store. In the UK, Green Wing and Dr. Who are good examples of shows that could both be on iTMS solely for British customers.

nagromme
May 9, 2006, 10:29 AM
Firefly and Buffy! Great!

Both deserving of a wider audience, both facing some possibility of sequels.

If you liked the recent movie Serenity (critics sure did but it wasn't in theaters long) then get the Firefly DVD or check it out on iTunes.

Just don't be confused: Firefly comes first... and the first episode of Firefly is a movie-length one called "Serenity." But that's NOT the movie Serenity, which is also good and is a sequel to Firefly.

There's a reason that after 2.5 years, the Firefly DVDs are still outselling the Simpsons, Lost, The Office, and 24 (http://whedonesque.com/comments/10298).

Too bad Season 1 of Buffy isn't the best, more campy and less serious, but still fun. I wasn't remotely interested in the show until someone made me give it a chance--I'm glad they did. Season 5 is the best.

princealfie
May 9, 2006, 10:38 AM
Finally for me Jack Bauer is more important than even the MBP. Yes, thanx, itunes!

Snowy_River
May 9, 2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah to me it still seems like a niche market, but obviously everyone's doing very well with this new model of distribution...especially the networks.

Still, for the discerning techie out there, it's honestly hard to convince them to spend $1.99 on a DRM'd 320x240 video they can buy the next day, when they can get a ~624x352ish version for free, about an hour after the show airs (East Coast Time) with no DRM via bittorrent.

I'm not advocating piracy, but that's the distribution model you're fighting if you're the content providers and the options you're looking at as a entertainment-seeker.

From my perspective, it goes even a little farther than this. The price that you have to pay for downloading a full season is easily on a par with what you pay for the DVD, more expensive, even, than some sources (i.e. CostCo). Plus, the quality of the programs is disappointing. I tried downloading a few shows from iTMS, but I found that the programs were much more contrast-y than normal. It made dark scenes much harder to watch and figure out what was going on. I'm quite happy to simply buy my DVDs and rip them to my computer for my video library. With a slightly larger file, I get a MUCH higher quality video.

(True, I have to give up the instant gratification, but I can handle that... most of the time.)

Multimedia
May 9, 2006, 10:52 AM
Will Someone Please Email Me or PM me Off List What Happened On 24 Last Night?

My antennae got blocked by a car for a half hour when I was not there to adjust it and I am missing 3:23:35 to 3:51:53 AM on my EyeTV2 Digital HD recording. I have everything until The Plane Lands and Jack is walking away from the plane and then it picks up when Ms. Logan is watching the Palmer Memorial on CNB and the President comes into her room to apologize.

I would really appreciate it if you saw it last night, if you could tell me what happened during the time between those events. Thank you. :)

aegisdesign
May 9, 2006, 11:12 AM
However, this doesn''t stop Apple from negotiating with producer/networks in other countries to put locally produced content on that country's store. In the UK, Green Wing and Dr. Who are good examples of shows that could both be on iTMS solely for British customers.

Exactly.

The usual state of play for Apple is to sort out the USA first before anywhere else. The BBC (Dr. Who) and Channel 4 (Green Wing) aren't waiting for Apple. Both are rolling out their own broadband TV solutions. The BBC are giving everything away for free to UK residents via their IMP player which they've just finished a trial of. Windows only though.

Channel 4 have Series 2 of Lost on their site for download, again Windows only. First two episodes free, the rest 99p each - cheaper than Apple.

Apple are in danger of being sidelined by the TV companies here by arriving late to the party.

swingerofbirch
May 9, 2006, 11:13 AM
As long as they are posting classics, who here wants Boston Public? It was a great show that never made it to DVD.

cycocelica
May 9, 2006, 11:17 AM
Damn I was hoping for seasons 1-4 for 24. I missed a lot of those. I know I missed a few in the beginning of season 5. Oh well there is hope now. Plus I like Unan1mous.

killmoms
May 9, 2006, 11:19 AM
Need to add House, like hardcore.

Actually, I still don't care about House being added, until they can get the quality sold on the iTMS up. 320 x 240 in 2006 is just embarrassing, H.264 or not. I want at LEAST 640 x 480 (or 640 x 360 for 16 x 9 shows). I understand the limitations of portable H.264 decoding, but advancements have been made.

Psychic Shopper
May 9, 2006, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=m2uk]RESPECFULLY can Macrumors preface such news with "Only for U.S. Customers has..."

U.S. networks sometimes sell their TV shows to other networks, like the BBC. They used to sell the shows after they were aired, so the series "Dallas" was shown a year later in England. Selling their shows on Itunes would screw up their international sales. If you want to see some American TV shows, check out my web page"www.psychicshoppers.com" I have lots of mpegs up there from my public access TV show The Psychic Shopping Club. It's not quite as good as 24, but it's free.

JZ Wire
May 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
But where is House??? Give me House and Family Guy next time please.. :)

boncellis
May 9, 2006, 11:50 AM

Actually, I still don't care about House being added, until they can get the quality sold on the iTMS up. 320 x 240 in 2006 is just embarrassing, H.264 or not. I want at LEAST 640 x 480 (or 640 x 360 for 16 x 9 shows). I understand the limitations of portable H.264 decoding, but advancements have been made.

You absolutely nailed it.

Funny how you learn things about people in the forums based on what TV shows they watch...

ccperkdog
May 9, 2006, 11:51 AM
So I had a problem with a Fox download earlier today (see prior post) and also put the warning on the Apple discussion boards. Instead of addressing my problem, Apple removed my post and sent me a warning email about appropriate topics. Funny, given the mess they have made over the failure to mail out pre-sale passwords for the RHCP's today and all the foul, heated posts on the discussion boards at Apple, my post warning of a technical error was deemed inappropriate. So I am putting the warning out again. Download these new shows at your own risk. Because of link errors there is no telling what episode you may end up with. Thanks a lot Apple.

nick.hill
May 9, 2006, 11:55 AM
I noticed that a link for TV Shows has appeared on the UK store, I'm sure it wasn't there before - it seems to be broken though. Any other UK people experienced the same?

Multimedia
May 9, 2006, 11:57 AM

Actually, I still don't care about House being added, until they can get the quality sold on the iTMS up. 320 x 240 in 2006 is just embarrassing, H.264 or not. I want at LEAST 640 x 480 (or 640 x 360 for 16 x 9 shows). I understand the limitations of portable H.264 decoding, but advancements have been made.Yes I agree Cless. I am against H.264 for that very reason. I use Handbrake to rip all my EyeTV2 HDTV recordings with the 2-pass FFMPEG encoder to De-Interlaced 624 x 352 @ about 1000 kbps (351MB target size to equal half a CD) without H.264 for iPod compatability (max 230,400 pixels allowed) and they look great on both the iPod as well as on the big 1920 x 1200 computer screen or TV. :)

puckhead193
May 9, 2006, 12:05 PM
this timming is perfect since i'm leaving for China. Now i can watch the episodes i miss...

edenwaith
May 9, 2006, 12:18 PM

Ditto. I'm glad to see that FOX programs are finally on the iTMS, they are missing a couple of shows, most notably Family Guy. That is the show I've been waiting for, and I'd gladly download the new episodes, and STILL buy the new DVDs when they come out. My kids normally watch DVDs on the computer, so they'd have no problem watching the downloaded versions of Family Guy.

Also having older episodes of The Simpsons or Married...with Children would also be pretty cool. I'll pass on American Dad, though.

MacBoobsPro
May 9, 2006, 12:20 PM
When are we gonna see TV shows in UK cmon Apple! :mad:

TheMasin9
May 9, 2006, 12:22 PM
im glad to see 24 available, i might actually buy some episodes of that...

Multimedia
May 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
Damn I was hoping for seasons 1-4 for 24. I missed a lot of those. I know I missed a few in the beginning of season 5. Oh well there is hope now. Plus I like Unan1mous.Buy The DVD Sets And Rip With Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/). Way cheaper and the quality will be much higher on your iPod and TV. :)

notjustjay
May 9, 2006, 01:04 PM
Will Someone Please Email Me or PM me Off List What Happened On 24 Last Night?

You can find out for yourself here: http://www.fox.com/24/episodes/

Porchland
May 9, 2006, 01:07 PM
Only one quibble with your analysis.

CBS is wholly owned by Viacom, so the fact that Showtime, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central are all here, but not CBS is a bit odd.

Viacom and CBS got divorced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Corporation) at the end of last year.

Viacom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom_%281986%29) got Paramount Pictures and the cable properties. CBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Corporation) got the CBS network, CBS Radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Radio) (formerly Infinity), the billboards, Simon & Schuster and other stuff.

MrCrowbar
May 9, 2006, 01:24 PM

Agreed. Apple gave us HD in iMovie and iDVD and stuff. I'm very disappointed ba the digital quality of ITMS. 128 kbit audio, 320x240 video...
Gimme lossless and HD video and I'm willing to pay for the stuff. I mena, ITMS is supposed to go against piracy, right? Steve said that at the launch of iTunes. Kinda looks bad since the quality of pirated material is often way better than the stuff on ITMS. ITMS is cool if you listen to / view the content on your iPod.

If Apple wants to enter the living room for good, it might be difficult with 320x240 video on an average TV.

Multimedia
May 9, 2006, 01:27 PM
You can find out for yourself here: http://www.fox.com/24/episodes/Thank you Jay. I had no idea the details were published on the fox website. I have never been there before now. Appreciate the help a LOT. :) :)

andrewm
May 9, 2006, 01:34 PM
I'm not a fan of Fox, in general, but more shows (especially Firefly) = shiny.

crazyjoeda
May 9, 2006, 01:36 PM

Not in Canada. With basic cable I get all the major American networks FOX, NBC, CBS and UPN. Even with out cable every new TV show airs at the sametime as it would in the states on a Canadian TV network like Global or CTV, in some cases they air earlier.

boncellis
May 9, 2006, 01:38 PM
Looks like Mr. Murdoch didn't want to hold out any longer. Didn't he say something about 20th Century Fox starting their own download service a while back? I'm glad they went with iTMS though, because judging by the competing services (Google Video most notably) the iTMS is not only more popular, but better designed in my opinion.

I think the WB is missing out on some success in the iTMS. I would think their younger audience would be hip to the Apple scene.

MacsomJRR
May 9, 2006, 01:38 PM

FAMILY GUY! FAMILY GUY! FAMILY GUY!

buffsldr
May 9, 2006, 01:57 PM
Although my tivo grabs 24 for me, once in a blue moon a power failure prevents me from getting my Bauer fix. Thanks Fox and Apple for giving me a backup.

When I first got hooked on 24 it was the second season and I was renting the 1st season on DVD. It was so popular, I literally rented each of the 6 discs at a different Blockbuster. I drove all over town for those discs. Downloading from itunes would be so much easier. Hopefully, this catches recent converts up with the plot and grows interest in 24.

-Buffsldr

benyaimin
May 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
They should put the previous seasons of 24 on iTunes. The show's great, and people who just started watching the show are likely to want to see other seasons once this one is over.

peterparker
May 9, 2006, 02:14 PM
Now there is The Shield, Black. White., It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and 30 days from FX.

quigleybc
May 9, 2006, 02:16 PM

Seriously...U.S only = who cares....oh wait...I have a US credit card from before i moved and I can use that...oh wait....I have cable.....so still....who cares.:p

peterparker
May 9, 2006, 02:27 PM
Just noticed they added The Shield, Black. White., It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and 30 days from FX.

notjustjay
May 9, 2006, 02:37 PM
When I first got hooked on 24 it was the second season and I was renting the 1st season on DVD.

They ought to give away a pilot episode, like a gateway drug. When I first got into 24 was just about when Season 2 arrived on DVD. I was at my local Future Shop and they had a stack of "sampler" discs with the first 2 episodes on them. A salesguy gave me one and said "This is like a drug -- you'll be hooked." I scoffed, of course.

2 hours later.... :eek:

morespce54
May 9, 2006, 02:53 PM
It will probably happen for these shows, but will take awhile.

Well... Considering that where I live, I still can't get songs from a lot of European and American artists... Even if they are on their respective iTMS... :(

dwsolberg
May 9, 2006, 03:41 PM
So weird, I mis-set my TIVO last night and therfore missed 24, which is my favorite program. I was so mad, I threw the remote on the table, breaking it into its component parts. I bought the TIVO in the first place because the VCR missed recording the Edgar dying episode. (I've never found the need to record television before.) Fortunately, the remote snapped back together. Even better, I can now watch my two missed episodes of 24.

Some_Big_Spoon
May 9, 2006, 04:07 PM
I'm with you, no Limewire.. BitTorrent or Bust!! :-D

I for one stop downloading a show with Limewire as soon as it's on the ITMS.

avensis087
May 9, 2006, 04:25 PM
i'm looking forward to family guy and the simpsons. those will be huge additions and will be guaranteed purchases by yours truly.

mr

DavidLeblond
May 9, 2006, 06:09 PM
No nip/Tuck? Boo.

cxny
May 9, 2006, 06:58 PM
Who gives a flying Fox?
rated "negative"

dejo
May 9, 2006, 07:04 PM
When are we gonna see TV shows in UK cmon Apple! :mad:

Maybe Apple is trying hard to deliver those shows to UK residents, but someone else is holding them up. Perhaps the rights-holder to these shows in the UK...

(Just because something doesn't come from Apple, doesn't always mean that Apple is to blame.)

Who gives a flying Fox?
rated "negative"

Okay, so we get you don't really care. Care to elaborate though?

balamw
May 9, 2006, 07:27 PM
Viacom and CBS got divorced (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Corporation) at the end of last year.

You are correct, I'm still living in 2005. However, CBS also got Showtime (http://www.sho.com), which distributes via iTMS, so the point still stands. Some CBS properties are on iTMS others not.

Another oddity. Buffy & Firefly, but no Angel?

B

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 9, 2006, 07:58 PM
They should put the previous seasons of 24 on iTunes. The show's great, and people who just started watching the show are likely to want to see other seasons once this one is over.

People like....me :)
;)

cxny
May 9, 2006, 09:16 PM
Okay, so we get you don't really care. Care to elaborate though?

...guess it's just personal, I never watch network TV anyway, hate Rupert and all the right wing media empire(s) he represents, but love
music, iTunes, Apple and free expression. I just don't see the two worlds meshing very effectively. Must be just a na´ve old dreamer....

dmarkman
May 9, 2006, 09:28 PM
I don't get it. Amazon sells Firefly DVD set for $25. why I have to buy low quality stuff for $40?

Snowy_River
May 9, 2006, 10:29 PM
I don't get it. Amazon sells Firefly DVD set for $25. why I have to buy low quality stuff for $40?

Here's what I don't get, at $1.99 per episode, with 14 episodes, that makes $27.86. Then, if you want to buy them all at once, you'll pay $25.99. So, where do you get $40?

However, in principle, I do agree with your sentiments.

e-coli
May 9, 2006, 10:50 PM
Ooooh, prison break! I wonder what happens in that show? :rolleyes:

I'm still a little more than miffed that they cancelled arrested development.

m2uk
May 9, 2006, 11:15 PM
demallien: Had thought about that but I'd rather have just one account and in any case, why fluff about. I understand rights and suchlike and also the wish to remove piracy. But it still is easier to acquire with other means :) Just like in the old days of ordering dvds and videos from the USA/Canada. Certainly I am aware of many who have looked at the IPOD Video, either as new user or upgrader, and have held back since they are not the sort to have the wish or skilll to convert other video material OR record tv to IPOD.

One could imagine that if, as an example, quality BBC content appeared on UKITMS but not on USITMS, the wails and screams from many USians would be heard along with stamping feet, calls to lawyers and other noises.

Snowy_River
May 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
demallien: Had thought about that but I'd rather have just one account and in any case, why fluff about. I understand rights and suchlike and also the wish to remove piracy. But it still is easier to acquire with other means :) Just like in the old days of ordering dvds and videos from the USA/Canada. Certainly I am aware of many who have looked at the IPOD Video, either as new user or upgrader, and have held back since they are not the sort to have the wish or skilll to convert other video material OR record tv to IPOD.

One could imagine that if, as an example, quality BBC content appeared on UKITMS but not on USITMS, the wails and screams from many USians would be heard along with stamping feet, calls to lawyers and other noises.

I agree. iTunes will need to have some sort of ripping software built into it to allow users to rip their DVDs so they can watch them on their iPods. If the only (easy - as in a method that my parents can understand) means of getting a video on an iPod is to buy it from iTMS, then this will be a very niche market, indeed...

bloodycape
May 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
No Futurama, and no Arrested Development = :(

Kinda odd that the O.C isnt add I would think that would have been add since that is a huge hit for Fox hmmmmm.

On a positive note this announcement make me want to use iTunes just for those fox shows and since I have a 4in pvp it would make things all the nicer.

seenew
May 14, 2006, 12:57 PM
I want House, if they're gonna have Fox on there now. :(