Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cap1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
Hi new to the forum, hope you can help.
A sony walkman w800i, i'm looking to you for a means to transfer mp3 files to the phone. The usb supplied with the phone only seems to charge the phone and no mutch else. software (PC) with the phone has issues with pc users it seems. I tried dreamsicle but the phone wont conect (1 in 50 goes)
Can anyone recomend a way out ?:confused

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
HHMmmm, Sony isnt very good with their compatability with Mac. I have a Sony MD Player, and from what I read on the net, there is no way to get the songs to transfer to the MD, using a Mac. I just dont use it anymore.

But I dunno, you phone is newer than my MD player, maybe Sony ironed out the compatibility issues since then, but somehow I doubt it..:(

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i have had no trouble with my sony ericsson K700i and my PB....they are quite compatible IMO.

i just used the bluetooth feature to transfer MP3's. however, since the W800i is a walkman phone, there may be copy protection or some silly thing.

S

L

Lau

I've got a W810i, and I didn't use any software, I just used the USB cable. The memory card and the phone memory mounted on my desktop like a memory stick and I just dragged my iTunes files from my music folder into folders on the memory stick that looked hopeful, and it worked fine.

Is the phone mounting on your desktop as a drive?

Also, you could try using bluetooth file exchange to send the files to your phone.

arf

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
UK
iTuneMyWalkman

Lau said:
I've got a W810i, and I didn't use any software, I just used the USB cable. The memory card and the phone memory mounted on my desktop like a memory stick and I just dragged my iTunes files from my music folder into folders on the memory stick that looked hopeful, and it worked fine.

Is the phone mounting on your desktop as a drive?

Also, you could try using bluetooth file exchange to send the files to your phone.

I've got a W810i too and I've been using this iTunes plugin http://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/itunemywalkman/. It seems to work pretty well (I've been using the USB cable) and I believe it also works with the W800!

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It seems that the ability to mount the phone in OS X is spotty. I have the w600i, and I cannot get it to mount on my Power Mac G5 running Tiger. I did get it to mount on my Powerbook running Panther, but when I upgraded, I apparently lost the ability of the computer to "see" the phone. I haven't been able to get it to work since.

Other people I've talked to, however, have had no problem under Tiger and wonder what the heck I'm talking about. :) It seems to be hit or miss, and Sony is no help in finding out why.

simplydru

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2005
I have a w800 and had issues with it mounting on my powerbook. I now use a memory card reader with the memory stick and that works like a breeze.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I have the W800i and had simmilar problems, until I discovered itunemyphone. I can only second earlier poster, it´s a great little app. Read the instructions carefully though, it make everything a bit smoother.

I had the K750 before that and I could just drag songs onto the mamory stick. This dosen´t work with the W800 because it´s a "Walkman" as well as a phone.
Good luck

PS use USB cable, bluetooth is too slow for music transfer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.