PDA

View Full Version : SGI files for chapter 11.

MacBytes
May 9, 2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: SGI files for chapter 11. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060509093155)
Description:: In court papers, SGI said it had been challenged by delays in introducing new technology, a focus on more specialized markets and more intense competition from larger rivals.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

iN8
May 9, 2006, 09:15 AM
Apple should buy them just to have their intellectual property, before someone else does.

jsw
May 9, 2006, 09:18 AM
I saw that yesterday. I'm pretty saddened by it :( - back in the day, SGI was phenomenal. I still remember getting source code for their flight simulator in 1990 ad modifying the code to fly the planes my faking the mouse input (yeah, the chicks were all over me after that...). Excellent systems and, at the time, great company.

ITR 81
May 9, 2006, 10:16 AM
Apple should buy them just to have their intellectual property, before someone else does.

I concur with the above.

I'm sure Apple could use some of their technology.

Captain Canuck
May 9, 2006, 11:02 AM
All the workstations at Pixar used to be SGI machines -- not sure if that's the case anymore. Sad to see them go like this...

Peace
May 9, 2006, 11:14 AM
I saw that yesterday. I'm pretty saddened by it :( - back in the day, SGI was phenomenal. I still remember getting source code for their flight simulator in 1990 ad modifying the code to fly the planes my faking the mouse input (yeah, the chicks were all over me after that...). Excellent systems and, at the time, great company.

<snippet> (yeah, the chicks were all over me after that...) </snippet>

That's funny!!

Sorry bout SGI though..Apple really should try to buy them.They had some great stuff.

TwitchOSX
May 9, 2006, 11:16 AM
Their shares are hovering around 8 cents / share. That sucks. Always looked up to SGI when I was a kid getting into computer graphics.

RacerX
May 9, 2006, 12:00 PM
Apple should buy them just to have their intellectual property, before someone else does.SGI sold most of their IP holdings to Microsoft back in 2002 as I recall. Just one more step towards the place they find themselves now.

On a brighter note, all of my SGIs are still running great. :D

Anonymous Freak
May 9, 2006, 12:26 PM
Except Chapter 11 is the 'reorganization' form of bankruptcy, not the 'going out of business' form of bankruptcy.

This means SGI plans on continuing their business, but they need some help to get out of debt. Chapter 7 is the form where they are liquidating the company and going out of business. It is POSSIBLE that they could decide to sell off the company, but usually Chapter 11 means they want to keep operating. (Enron, United Airlines, and the Portland Diocese of the Catholic Church are three recent examples of Chapter 11 restructuring.)

shamino
May 9, 2006, 05:37 PM
I have to concur - I have very fond memories of SGI. I remember using IRIS 4D workstations, back when they were hot stuff.

Unfortunately, their desktop systems were (mostly) run-of-the-mill UNIX boxes with high-end proprietary video hardware. When ATI and nVIDIA started selling comparable (and then superior) hardware for PCs for <$500, that killed a lot of their market. And the same general performance/price explosion in the PC market that clobbered Sun, HP, DEC and many others ended up hitting them just as hard.

Recently, they seem to be relying entirely on storage systems and supercomputer offerings. These are great products, but it's a small market. And when companies like Apple demonstrate massively parallel computing for (comparably) dirt-cheap pricing, the hardware has to end up being that much more powerful for the same price in order to compete. I'm actually quite surprised they've lasted as long as they have.

I hope they can manage to pull themselves out of bankrupcy, but based on what I've read, I have no clue how they're going to be able to.

I think the biggest hint of this coming was last month when I saw people selling used O2 workstations for $100 at flea markets. Those used to be so popular SGI couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with the orders....