PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to Use PlayStation With Airport, Madness! Help!

nickyj182
Feb 13, 2003, 01:10 PM
Hey!!

I have a problem and I need your help. I have cable internet access, and I run my cable modem into an airport (v.1) and it spreads the love of broadband to 3 computers in my house, but here is my problem. Im wanting to get EverQuest Online Adventures for my PlayStation 2 and I want it to share my cable connection. I dont want to have to pull the cord out of airport and run it into my Ps2! My iMac is close to the PS2 in my room, is there anyway I could run an ethernet cord from my iMac into my Ps2 and use the cable connection? If anyone has any ideas on how I could use my Ps2 on the net without messing up my airport, please help!

yzedf
Feb 13, 2003, 01:20 PM
el cheapo 3 or 4 port hub:

1 wire from cablem modem to hub

1 wire from hub to airport

1 wire from hub to PS2

TEG
Feb 13, 2003, 01:24 PM
So you want to use your iMac as a bridge between Topologies. I believe this is possible. Checkout the Support pages at Apple to get specifics.

TEG

noht*
Feb 13, 2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by nickyj182
Hey!!

I have a problem and I need your help. I have cable internet access, and I run my cable modem into an airport (v.1) and it spreads the love of broadband to 3 computers in my house, but here is my problem. Im wanting to get EverQuest Online Adventures for my PlayStation 2 and I want it to share my cable connection. I dont want to have to pull the cord out of airport and run it into my Ps2! My iMac is close to the PS2 in my room, is there anyway I could run an ethernet cord from my iMac into my Ps2 and use the cable connection? If anyone has any ideas on how I could use my Ps2 on the net without messing up my airport, please help!
plug the ps2 into your imac, go to 'system preferences' -> 'sharing'; select tab 'internet'; click 'start' and presto! there you are. (you might need to configure some things at the ps2 though...i have a gamecube, so i really don't know)

noht*
Feb 13, 2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
el cheapo 3 or 4 port hub:

1 wire from cablem modem to hub

1 wire from hub to airport

1 wire from hub to PS2
this *may* work, depending on your cable provider...some only allow one MAC to use their cable...

yzedf
Feb 13, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by noht*

this *may* work, depending on your cable provider...some only allow one MAC to use their cable...

then use a router.

thatis what i do. of course i bought a real wireless router with 4 port switch in it... to avoid stuff like this ;)

yzedf
Feb 13, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by noht*

plug the ps2 into your imac, go to 'system preferences' -> 'sharing'; select tab 'internet'; click 'start' and presto! there you are. (you might need to configure some things at the ps2 though...i have a gamecube, so i really don't know)

then the imac has to be on to use the ps2 networking.

yuck!

nickyj182
Feb 13, 2003, 01:37 PM
So! I can plug an ethernet cord from Mr iMac, and run it into my Ps2, and trun sharing on and boom! I should be good to go?

noht*
Feb 13, 2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
(...)
yuck!

agreed. a router is probably the better solution.

noht*
Feb 13, 2003, 01:45 PM
So! I can plug an ethernet cord from Mr iMac, and run it into my Ps2, and trun sharing on and boom! I should be good to go?
i guess so. if it doesn't work, read the ps2's manual or come back here.

MorganX
Feb 13, 2003, 01:48 PM
Hey!!

Dlink sells a wireless bridge for xbox adn PS2

RooBen
Feb 13, 2003, 02:37 PM
I just recently purchased a linsys wireless ethernet bridge to further spread the cable connection from the airport to an iMac, a PC (free from my kids school - just had to purchase the wireless card), and now a gamecube through the wireless ethernet bridge (it should be a similar deal with the PS2).
The bridge is failry easy to set up. I plugged it into the PC, ran the software and it loaded the information it needed to connect from any ethernet ready appliance. Basically, you do not need to set up anything on the machine you are connecting to the bridge once it has been "initialized". It works nicely for us.

nickyj182
Feb 13, 2003, 02:54 PM
I would love to get a wireless ethernet bridge but it costs money!!!! My iMac is right by my Ps2. I could run an ethernet cable from it to my ps2 very easily, if that will work, it would be great.

MontanaMacster
Feb 13, 2003, 03:26 PM
You do know this game is coming to mac osx early this spring

nickyj182
Feb 13, 2003, 03:32 PM
Yeah I do but the PS2 one if a different game and there arent a million level 60's running around, and on ps2 everyone is running the same system, and starting at the same time.

Soul Wolf
Feb 13, 2003, 03:59 PM
Actually the MAC version of EQ is on completely diff servers than PC. You have to buy a modem, keyboard and all that for ps2 AND 56kers play. If you don't mind lag disregard that.

xlemming
Feb 13, 2003, 04:35 PM
There are 2 networking ports on your airport basestation. There is the one networking port which connects the basestation to your modem and the other networking is to connect any wired LAN devices.
The airport basestation should also function as a router. My base station is hooked up to my DSL modem, and I have an ethernet switch hooked up to my basestation. There are two computers that are hardwired and 3 computers that are wireless.