PDA

View Full Version : I made an ipod screensaver

tonywalker23
May 9, 2006, 06:20 PM
im sure im not the first one to think of this so if this has already been posted, sorry.

i love the spectrum screensaver in tiger. i then thought to my self how to get it on the ipod.

go to computer > system > library > screensavers

then copy (dont move) the spectrum.qtz to your desktop or wherever

i dont have QT pro so you may do this a little simpler than i did . . .

open imovie, file, import, import the movie file, and drag the clip to the bottom.

then go back to file, share, qt, expert settings, ipod.

import file into itunes and sync to ipod

Scarlet Fever
May 10, 2006, 05:29 AM
cool!
someones a thinker... :rolleyes:
cant wait to try it on my fullscreen iPod Video :p

Are there any other visualisers you can use? Because the spectrum isn't bad, its just not great.

Kingsly
May 10, 2006, 10:13 AM
I don't get it. Aren't you just watching a "movie" of the screensaver play on the iPod? Or is it an actual screensaver that activated when the iPod is not being used?

dornoforpyros
May 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
I don't get it. Aren't you just watching a "movie" of the screensaver play on the iPod? Or is it an actual screensaver that activated when the iPod is not being used?

I assume he's just watching the movie of the screen-saver...hey whatever people choose to do with their iPods is none of my business

Electro Funk
May 10, 2006, 10:31 AM

ive got to assume hes just watching a Mp4 of the screensaver...

not sure why you would want to eat up precious battery time watching a screensaver on your ipod though...

Edit: ok maybe an m4v, not mp4 ... :o

mikemodena
May 10, 2006, 11:49 AM
ive got to assume hes just watching a Mp4 of the screensaver...

not sure why you would want to eat up precious battery time watching a screensaver on your ipod though...

Does it matter? He proved the concept, and it's good for him.

Kingsly
May 10, 2006, 01:09 PM
Does it matter? He proved the concept, and it's good for him.
What? the concept that the 5G iPod plays videos? Good for him. </sarcasm>

I was hoping that the actual screensaver file was working... oh well.

decksnap
May 10, 2006, 01:46 PM
So it's not actually a screensaver.... can we call it Battery Drainer 1.0?

Electro Funk
May 10, 2006, 02:10 PM
So it's not actually a screensaver.... can we call it Battery Drainer 1.0?

Thats what i was trying to say in a "round about way" and got scolded. :p

tonywalker23
May 10, 2006, 08:52 PM
if i had realized i would recieve these replies i would have kept my million dollar discovery :) to myself.

just thought it was something cool to point out, guess i should have kept it to myself if i knew i was going to be made fun of, i thought that ended in middle school

dejo
May 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, technically it's not really a screensaver, in that it won't be automatically activated after some period of non-use. But nice try.

P.S. Having QuickTime Pro does simplify the process. Simply open the .qtz file in QuickTime and export using the "Movie to iPod" option. Then pull the .m4v into iTunes.

mkaake
May 10, 2006, 10:29 PM
if i had realized i would recieve these replies i would have kept my million dollar discovery :) to myself.

just thought it was something cool to point out, guess i should have kept it to myself if i knew i was going to be made fun of, i thought that ended in middle school

It is cool. And on MR, for every person who posts a negative comment (boy there are a lot of them around here lately), there's 20 who read what you wrote and appreciated it, but didn't leave a comment.

Have fun with the 'pod, and keep tinkering!

Boggle
May 10, 2006, 10:56 PM
It is cool. And on MR, for every person who posts a negative comment (boy there are a lot of them around here lately), there's 20 who read what you wrote and appreciated it, but didn't leave a comment.

I thought it was clever, well done.

virividox
May 11, 2006, 09:15 AM
gotta get me one of the video ipods

good try tho, dont listen to posters who have nothing positive to say!

Electro Funk
May 11, 2006, 10:36 AM

Let me say i do apologize if you felt that i was making fun of you... that was not my intention and sometimes forget that people read things differently... :o

Was just thinking to myself that my 60 gig that is supposed to get 15 or so hours out of the battery playing music drops to 2 hrs when playing video.

so there is no chance i would want to run a screensaver on it...

Again... im sorry if i came across the wrong way... ;)

thejadedmonkey
May 11, 2006, 01:41 PM

I'm one of those peeps! (I replied just to say so too!)