Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Hi, anyone can give suggestion about any good software to run Windows XP on MBP? I prefer the one like Parallels, so its running virtually on a virtual machine not like boot camp (many problems with boot camp as far as i know). And wonder if there's some freeware for software like Parallels :)

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Thanks Malcster, i've downloaded it but havent try it. But it's only 4.8 MB? have you try this? Is it a good program?

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
sunrobby said:
Thanks Malcster, i've downloaded it but havent try it. But it's only 4.8 MB? have you try this? Is it a good program?

Ive not tried it as i use Parallels, but it does work reasonably well apparently (especially for free!) its faster than Microsofts Virtual PC at any rate, check the forums on the Q website for guides on how to set it up with XP etc.. Its not quite as straightforward as Parallels i think..

The unstable build is the faster altho it is not necessarily as solid.

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
i've read in many forums that people have problems with their boot camp, and also in the news, i can't remember where i read those though. and according to the news, apple takes no responsibility because its still beta. However, i dont wanna have some screen when i boot up that ask me whether i want to boot mac os or windows (the boot camp works like this, isnt it?). I just like to have somekind like virtual machine, cause i dont really often use the windows.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
It really depends what you want to do with Windows, if you want to play games then your going to have to use Boot Camp, there are no other options, Q or Parallels will not do graphics acceleration or decent enough video performance (currently)

If however you only need it for apps, Word, Excel etc then Parallels will do you fine, maybe Q too depending on its performance (ive not tried it)

Incidentally, Parallels really is worth the preorder price of $39.. the latest beta is superb and its only going to get better/more features.

I have used Boot Camp with no problems at all not even a hiccup, it removed fine too when i was done with it, you dont get a boot screen with it, you choose what OS you want to boot into using Sys Prefs. (you can hold down a button and choose an OS at startup but thats optional & transparent otherwise)

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
Malcster said:
It really depends what you want to do with Windows, if you want to play games then your going to have to use Boot Camp, there are no other options, Q or Parallels will not do graphics acceleration or decent enough video performance (currently)

If however you only need it for apps, Word, Excel etc then Parallels will do you fine, maybe Q too depending on its performance (ive not tried it)

Incidentally, Parallels really is worth the preorder price of $39.. the latest beta is superb and its only going to get better/more features.

I have used Boot Camp with no problems at all not even a hiccup, it removed fine too when i was done with it, you dont get a boot screen with it, you choose what OS you want to boot into using Sys Prefs. (you can hold down a button and choose an OS at startup but thats optional & transparent otherwise)

Well, i only need it for my office's needs. The application my office use is windows compatible only, and it wont need graphics acceleration.. so guess Paralles/Q will be sufficient. I dont like windows.. but my office make me need to install it on my Mac..

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
sunrobby said:
The application my office use is windows compatible only, and it wont need graphics acceleration.
If the app is simple enough, you might even be able to get it to work on Darwine or you have a better shot with Crossover Office when it finally shows up for the Mac. Neither of those require a full on Windows installation unlike Parallels/Q/Boot Camp.

B

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
Thats not the way bootcamp works. You select which operating system boots when you turn the computer on. You only get the selection screen when you hold down the "OPTION" key after powering on the unit.

sunrobby said:
However, i dont wanna have some screen when i boot up that ask me whether i want to boot mac os or windows (the boot camp works like this, isnt it?)..

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ilkevinli said:
Thats not the way bootcamp works. You select which operating system boots when you turn the computer on. You only get the selection screen when you hold down the "OPTION" key after powering on the unit.
Quite true. You can also use the control panel/system preferences widgets to prompt a default boot into the other OS.

B

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
balamw said:
If the app is simple enough, you might even be able to get it to work on Darwine or you have a better shot with Crossover Office when it finally shows up for the Mac. Neither of those require a full on Windows installation unlike Parallels/Q/Boot Camp.

B

Thanks, darwine looks good. but actually i have microsoft office for mac already. the reason why i want to install windows on my mac is because my jobs need use an application that can be installed in windows only

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Indonesia
balamw said:
Quite true. You can also use the control panel/system preferences widgets to prompt a default boot into the other OS.

B

so the boot menu only appear if i hold down the option key? if i dont do anything, by default it'll go into osx? and i can choose the default boot in system preferences what default os to boot? and if my default is osx and i wanna go into windows, i need to hold down the option key when the machine boot so that the boot menu appears and then i choose windows?

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
Yes.
It will automatically boot into OS X if thats the OS you set as the default.
Yes.
Yes.

sunrobby said:
so the boot menu only appear if i hold down the option key? if i dont do anything, by default it'll go into osx? and i can choose the default boot in system preferences what default os to boot? and if my default is osx and i wanna go into windows, i need to hold down the option key when the machine boot so that the boot menu appears and then i choose windows?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
sunrobby said:
Thanks, darwine looks good. but actually i have microsoft office for mac already. the reason why i want to install windows on my mac is because my jobs need use an application that can be installed in windows only
Just for the record. Crossover Office from CodeWeavers is an extended version of Wine that supports complex Windows apps like MS Office and currently runs on Linux. They have said in the past that they intend to have an OS X version available "soon" based on Darwine.

B

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
There's also Guest PC, but I'm leaning towards Parallels, running the trial now. I also loaded XP thru Bootcamp. My idea of the ideal OS setup. What would be really wild would be a virtualizer to run OS X from XP on a Mac...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
zac4mac said:
There's also Guest PC, but I'm leaning towards Parallels, running the trial now. I also loaded XP thru Bootcamp. My idea of the ideal OS setup. What would be really wild would be a virtualizer to run OS X from XP on a Mac...
Isn't Guest PC still PPC only? If so it'll be super-duper slow on a MBP.

Many think Boot Camp is "beta" just because what will actually be in Leopard will be far more user friendly, e.g. allowing "fast OS switching" or something like that. I guess we'll find out more at WWDC in August.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.