PDA

View Full Version : May 10, 1999: Lombard PowerBook Revealed

MacBytes
May 10, 2006, 09:33 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: History
Link: May 10, 1999: Lombard PowerBook Revealed (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060510103330)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

ppc_michael
May 10, 2006, 12:48 PM
That was a real good machine. I especially liked the "leathery, businessy" look to it.

steve_hill4
May 10, 2006, 01:31 PM
In many ways the PowerBooks of that generation did look and feel more business-like than the PowerBooks and MBPs of today. I only hope that in 7 years time I am still in at least part using this machine in the same way that others post their Lombards and Pismos in their sigs. today.

nagromme
May 10, 2006, 01:59 PM
I loaned my Lombard out, but it still runs!

Lombard was my first Mac. The black and transparent "bronze" look was pretty slick. And sturdy as a tank, although more scratch-prone than my second 'Book (aluminum).

BTW, that picture is NOT a Lombard, it's the all-black 20% thicker preceding model (with those two buttons to the left of the keys).

This is Lombard (looks same as Pismo):

http://mandarb.net/virtual_gallery/media/lombard.jpg

Waragainstsleep
May 10, 2006, 02:06 PM
Posting this on my Lombard! Great machine.

montex
May 10, 2006, 07:17 PM
IMHO, the Pismo was the BEST G3 powerbook. Period.

I just sold mine recently and I miss it so much... I've been looking at Pismos on ebay! It's a sickness, I know.

macEfan
May 10, 2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah the whole PB g3 series was awesome! It was easy to install a new part if something broke... I almost bouht a lombard, but i waited a couple more years and bought a g3 ibook instead:( I like the design of the g3 pb...

mjstew33
May 10, 2006, 08:44 PM
I have this PB and I love it to death.

Still runs great! :)

macnulty
May 10, 2006, 08:44 PM

I just sold mine recently and I miss it so much... I've been looking at Pismos on ebay! It's a sickness, I know.

Not to disagree but Lombard has built in SCSI, which with my Nikon SCSI Scanner and my 8.6 partition is plug and play and never fails to kick ass. Plus it takes a licking and keeps on ticking, doesn't taste like much though.:D

wedge antilies
May 10, 2006, 09:09 PM
I concur.
I've still got my Lombard.
I just can't sell it.
I love it too much.

-Red 2.

nagromme
May 11, 2006, 01:43 PM

Well, it was the LAST PowerBook G3 :)

Although late-model G3 iBooks would later outclass its specs I think.

Eevee
May 11, 2006, 01:51 PM
This was my first mac. Loved the machine...Love that black case.

I hope that Apple will go back to the black case! Who knows...;)

ahunter3
May 11, 2006, 10:24 PM
I think the WallStreet was the best of the G3 PowerBooks. First with "that look". Great machines. Nice upgrade path, too, btw.

Subsequent machines lost some versatility in order to be skinnier and lighter, some of which gets in the way of upgrading.

RacerX
May 11, 2006, 11:10 PM
Ditto on the Wallstreet! This system has been the center of my computing world for years and I'm nowhere even close to giving it up.

But I do love the whole PowerBook G3 line, they are great systems.

Sadly I know Apple will never make future PowerBooks like these... it just isn't in their better interest. Easy access to memory and hard drive, processor on a daughter card, two expansion bays... they keep people from needing new computers.

Well, I know that both my Wallstreet and my wife's Pismo are going to be in our family for quite some time to come. :D

ahunter3
May 12, 2006, 11:54 AM
I would probably still be using my WallStreet as my primary everyday computer if I could've gotten my greedy hands on a Magma expansion-bay breakout box.

Pop the WS on its pedestal when I get to work, stick the Magma in one expansion bay, and I've suddenly got a rack of PCI cardslots available to me. Two monitor cards (to run a triple-screen setup), gigabit ethernet, and slots to spare for other things. In the two CardBus card slots, one card for USB 2.0 and one for FireWire 800. SCSI, ADB, classic Mac serial port in back. Dual 100 GB 7200 RPM hard drives (the second one in the other expansion bay). External SuperDrive on the FW 800 bus.

Who needs a MacBook Pro? :D

When I'm going mobile, eject the Magma expbay module and replace it with the old MCE 24x CDRW drive, leaving in the FW and USB cardbus cards, and it's still a fantastic road-warrior machine.

I looked but could not find. And the more modern Magma setups, which are CardBus-native systems, aren't WallStreet-compatible :(

I upgraded to a 17" PB this February because I needed gigabit ethernet and wasn't willing to sacrifice a cardbus lot and do without an extra monitor (courtesy of VillageTronic VTBookDD card) or USB (need it for too many peripherals at work nowadays).

The old WallStreet is still in great shape though, and still does important and necessary work even if it's not my main box any more.