Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
I have a 15" MBP and loaded BootCamp/Windows XP Home - I need it for work.

This morning I had Windows running while at my boss's office and when I got ready to come home, I closed the lid - as I have always done with iBooks and PowerBooks for many years - thinking it would go to sleep.

When I got home an hour later, the MBP was blistering hot and had shut itself down.

I tried booting it and it booted ok, but it said there was not Airport hardware installed - HUH?

I cooled it down and re-booted and everything seems to work now, but this could be a warning to others - make sure your MBP is really going to sleep if you close the lid while in BootCamp.

Take care, Margaret

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
This is a known issue win WinXP running on the MBP.

winwintoo said:
I have a 15" MBP and loaded BootCamp/Windows XP Home - I need it for work.

This morning I had Windows running while at my boss's office and when I got ready to come home, I closed the lid - as I have always done with iBooks and PowerBooks for many years - thinking it would go to sleep.

When I got home an hour later, the MBP was blistering hot and had shut itself down.

I tried booting it and it booted ok, but it said there was not Airport hardware installed - HUH?

I cooled it down and re-booted and everything seems to work now, but this could be a warning to others - make sure your MBP is really going to sleep if you close the lid while in BootCamp.

Take care, Margaret

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
ilkevinli said:
This is a known issue win WinXP running on the MBP.
Ah! It wasn't known to me - I guess I should have done more research - You would think that Apple would put that in the install docs or put an FAQ sheet in there or something.

Live and learn.

Take care, Margaret

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Mine sleeps on XP but only half the time I close the lid. Sometimes it works sometimes it dosen't... However, I only use XP for games when I am plugged into the wall and never need to make it sleep, so it dosen't matter for me...

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I put my 15mbp to sleep in XP today. It worked, and stayed cool, but when you boot back up it takes you to the windows logon screen where I had to click on my username (which is stupid because I"m the only user on there). It then took a good 20 seconds to get back into the OS... seems like a restart to me. I love that when in OSX I open it back up and am ready to go in under 3 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.