Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auhlixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Today I did 3D modeling and 2D cad for about 2 hours on the windows side of things and when I got back to OSX my Widget temperature read 122 degrees Fahrenheit!!!!!!

Is anyone else having heat problems w/ their MBP or iMac?

Oh I am using a 2.16 ghz MBP w/ 2 gig of ram and a 7200 rpm HD w/ nothing over clocked on my processors or video card.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Doesn't sound that "abnormal" - I have a 2.0MBP w/ 7200 rpm HDD, runs BOINC, CoreDuoTemp shows 76C or 168F:eek: :eek: :eek: Just located and loaded Temperature Monitor widget and it says 170.6F for CPU and 105.8 for Smart Disk.. This seems to be common, although high, especially when running hard. BOINC pushes the CPUs to their limit.

Only options I've seen are:
Don't use your MBP on your lap

Put the MBP on a separate Heatsink - I use a 1/4" slab of aluminum with a small fan at work

Take it ALL apart and clean up the thermal paste/replace with Arctic Silver.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
auhlixer said:
Today I did 3D modeling and 2D cad for about 2 hours on the windows side of things and when I got back to OSX my Widget temperature read 122 degrees Fahrenheit!!!!!!

Is anyone else having heat problems w/ their MBP or iMac?

Oh I am using a 2.16 ghz MBP w/ 2 gig of ram and a 7200 rpm HD w/ nothing over clocked on my processors or video card.

You want to talk about hot? My macbook (1.8) gets up to 182F when both cpus are running all the way. Only then do the fans come on and cool it to a measly 178F. I would kill to run that low. Mine idles at 150F.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Wow. 122F is pretty cool for a MBP!! You should consider yourself lucky. These Core Duo's will safely run up to 100C (or 210F [boiling]). The processor doesn't shut itself down until it is 125C, which is very, very hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.