PDA

View Full Version : Apple Retail Update

MacRumors
May 11, 2006, 03:29 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is continuing its expansion of its retail presence with the May 19th grand opening (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20060521.html) of its 5th Avenue flagship store. The store is planned to be gargantuan, with Apple having secured 20,000 square feet of underground retail space with a stylish metal and glass "cube" above ground. Appleinsider has previously reported (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1718) that Steve Jobs was mulling making a trip to New York for the opening.

Of note, May 19th has recently been speculated as a possible new release date for the MacBook (Thinksecret believes (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060509174329.shtml) it will be next tuesday). If this speculation pans out, the grand opening could also serve as a launching point for the much anticipated Macbook.

On the international front, ifoAppleStore.com reports (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/10/france-store-this-year/) that France may receive an Apple store by the end of 2006 and another in 2007.

JoshH
May 11, 2006, 03:36 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the exterior of the new store?

MrCrowbar
May 11, 2006, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the exterior of the new store?

I think it's still covered by these black panels making it look like the 2001 monolyth.

JoshH
May 11, 2006, 03:41 PM
I think it's still covered by these black panels making it look like the 2001 monolyth.

Ahhh... so we can jump around awestruck and mystified by its presence. Touch it. Jump back. Make some noise.

It's fitting, really.

DMann
May 11, 2006, 03:43 PM
Ahhh... so we can jump around awestruck and mystified by its presence. Touch it. Jump back. Make some noise.

It's fitting, really.

I've seen it, and it will be
quite extraordinary.

SuperSnake2012
May 11, 2006, 03:45 PM
I'm going to the opening just for the possibility of meeting Steve Jobs :D :cool:

runninmac
May 11, 2006, 03:45 PM
Even when the covers were over it a month ago I could sense the awsomeness from it. I think the construction workers were giving me weird looks because I was taking so many pictures:cool:

PS: That would be a sweet release date for the MacBook!

I'm going to the opening just for the possibility of meeting Steve Jobs :D :cool:

God if i lived their I would be in line 2 days early just to be sure to get a glimpse of him!

fanbrain
May 11, 2006, 03:47 PM
I wish all these events were closer to home. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away. This makes me want to take a trip...

iSee
May 11, 2006, 03:51 PM
I can't believe they'll release the MB on a Friday--they almost always release things Mon-Wed. Stuff that happens on a Friday gets a lot less press than stuff released other days.

I guess you never know with Apple, but with their ability to get product announcements covered by all the tech press, why squander that with a Friday release?

Anyway, I work in the city (for two more weeks--thank god I won't have to do this LONG commute too much longer! Also my new job will involve a lot more Mac development work :) ) to I think I'll go. Just in case! :D

Subiklim
May 11, 2006, 03:51 PM
Sweet! Maybe I'll take the day off of work and make it an all-day affair.

longofest
May 11, 2006, 03:55 PM
I can't believe they'll release the MB on a Friday--they almost always release things Mon-Wed. Stuff that happens on a Friday gets a lot less press than stuff released other days.

I guess you never know with Apple, but with their ability to get product announcements covered by all the tech press, why squander that with a Friday release?

Anyway, I work in the city (for two more weeks--thank god I won't have to do this LONG commute too much longer! Also my new job will involve a lot more Mac development work :) ) to I think I'll go. Just in case! :D

They have released OS upgrades on Saturdays, remember :-). Remember, that second paragraph is pretty much all speculation based on the fact that its around the time that the Macbooks are expected, it is going to be getting press coverage anyways, and the fact that Jobs is planning to be there.

Who knows, jobs might just be there for his beloved glass cube, but it might be more...

GooMan
May 11, 2006, 03:56 PM
I wish all these events were closer to home. The closest Apple store is 2 hours away. This makes me want to take a trip...
I feel your pain. The closest Apple store to me is in Atlanta, 2 hours away too. :(
I was there a few weeks ago and did not want to leave.

jimN
May 11, 2006, 03:58 PM
(Thinksecret believes (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060509174329.shtml) it will be next tuesday).

Well Tuesday it is then - those guys never seem to put a foot wrong.

Just hope that new building is well lit so that the low flying pigs don't crash into it.

MarkAlanEis
May 11, 2006, 04:02 PM
http://www.curbed.com/2005_10_applestore.jpg

liketom
May 11, 2006, 04:02 PM
QT Pro users beware

QuickTime 7.1 delivers numerous important bug fixes and addresses critical security issues. This update is highly recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users
Installation of QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

nagromme
May 11, 2006, 04:08 PM
I suppose there must be a light shaft descending from the cube giving natural light to the levels below. And supposedly the elevator itself is glass, so there's ONLY glass above ground?

Should we start a pool on how long before a sci-fi movie does shooting there?

Mac Fly (film)
May 11, 2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.curbed.com/2005_10_applestore.jpg
Where's the apple logo? ;-)

mkrishnan
May 11, 2006, 04:10 PM
Maybe I'm an idiot... (don't respond to that! :p ), but when I read the earlier piece on this, I thought the cube was supposed to be INSIDE the white building that's apparently behind it. :o

mainstreetmark
May 11, 2006, 04:13 PM
Well, it's clearly more 'obvious' than the Soho store, which looks just like a post office, except for a small apple logo hanging out. Instinctively, I entered the building, however, but for non-Apple people, it could be a trick.

I guess you could look for that weird statue with 12 breasts and 6 butts that's across the street, and use that as a landmark for the Soho store.

bill4588
May 11, 2006, 04:21 PM
i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY...so will the outside have scratches and cracks all over it? will the glass staircase be all messed up? do u have any idea how much windex apple will have to buy?! will SJ invest thousands of dollars to keep it looking brand new?

gloubibou
May 11, 2006, 04:22 PM
How about Jobs announcing MacBooks at the opening?

liketom
May 11, 2006, 04:23 PM
i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY...so will the outside have scratches and cracks all over it? will the glass staircase be all messed up? do u have any idea how much windex apple will have to buy?! will SJ invest thousands of dollars to keep it looking brand new?
never mind about that - i wonder if apple want to pay me to clean there windows for them ( no pun intended ):D

Thataboy
May 11, 2006, 04:26 PM
i wonder what the store will look like in 10 years? cuz glass will get scratched EASILY

Just like the iPods :)

freeny
May 11, 2006, 04:29 PM
Stores like this in Manhattan usually have a crew of cleaners that clean glass windows etc every single day:eek: I expect nothing less here. Also glass is very durable. Sky scrapers here have had windows up for 20-30-50 years+ with no scratches.;)

This is just a 15 minute walk uptown for me (as well as some other MR members) So perhaps Ill take a walk up next Friday and record the events. Ill load the pics on MR afterwords...... Anyone really interested?

longofest
May 11, 2006, 04:30 PM
How about Jobs announcing MacBooks at the opening?

Did you read the article???

I suppose there must be a light shaft descending from the cube giving natural light to the levels below. And supposedly the elevator itself is glass, so there's ONLY glass above ground?

Should we start a pool on how long before a sci-fi movie does shooting there?

Caprica baby!

bluebomberman
May 11, 2006, 04:38 PM
Caprica baby!

What exactly are you referring to? The scene with Laura Roslin and the doctor (Battlestar Galactica miniseries, sometime during the first 10 minutes?)

dontmatter
May 11, 2006, 04:42 PM
oooh, that would be a snazzy way to roll out the new macbook, with a new flagship store that's quite a strong architectural statement (and yet surprisingly similar to other apple stores, what with squareness and glass). And steve jobs, showmaker.

That said... man, haven't you ever seen the Louvre? Such a cheap knockoff, Apple, so unorigional. It'll catch eyes, though, and be big and beautiful. (hopefully skyscrapers will keep away direct light, though... no matter how bright a screen is, the sun always makes computer screens look crappy.)

longofest
May 11, 2006, 04:46 PM
What exactly are you referring to? The scene with Laura Roslin and the doctor (Battlestar Galactica miniseries, sometime during the first 10 minutes?)

the upcomming series should definitely have some scenes at the applestore :-)

bluebomberman
May 11, 2006, 04:47 PM
oooh, that would be a snazzy way to roll out the new macbook, with a new flagship store that's quite a strong architectural statement (and yet surprisingly similar to other apple stores, what with squareness and glass). And steve jobs, showmaker.

That said... man, haven't you ever seen the Louvre? Such a cheap knockoff, Apple, so unorigional. It'll catch eyes, though, and be big and beautiful. (hopefully skyscrapers will keep away direct light, though... no matter how bright a screen is, the sun always makes computer screens look crappy.)

Supposedly, Steve Jobs himself designed the cube. Hmm...makes me wish that someone from the press ask him, "Uh, did you rip off the Louvre?":p

the upcomming series should definitely have some scenes at the applestore :-)

Yeah, right. New Caprica's way too dreary.

Although, come to think of it, it'd be cool to watch a gun battle between Cylons and the colonials in the cube. (imagines bullets pocking the cube until it shatters)

(Realizes how much of a geek I am. Leaves work computer before I embarass myself further.)

nagromme
May 11, 2006, 05:07 PM
You mean the scene that has the cameo flyby of Serenity out the window? :)

No, that wasn't the Apple cube since that was years ago. But I can see it being dressed up for SOME kind of future sci-fi usage.

PS, this cube makes me want to go play some Red Faction.

iChill
May 11, 2006, 05:15 PM
we are going up to visit my sister that weekend, who is currently living up there and attending NYU. i wont lie im pretty excited about the openining. the soho store is already pretty sweet. macbook give aways? hah. i just want my t shirt.

chuckles:)
May 11, 2006, 05:41 PM

My geuss is they used something a bit stronger than window glass.

TekkieMac
May 11, 2006, 06:14 PM
The Apple Store(s) are for mindless drones...

Long live Tekserve!!!

blueimac'00
May 11, 2006, 06:31 PM
That's pretty awesome, but I never heard about it before.

Sayhey
May 11, 2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is continuing its expansion of its retail presence with the May 19th grand opening (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20060521.html) of its 5th Avenue flagship store.

Beat you by two-and-a-half hours (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=189315&page=5) guys.

h00ligan
May 11, 2006, 08:28 PM
Stores like this in Manhattan usually have a crew of cleaners that clean glass windows etc every single day:eek: I expect nothing less here. Also glass is very durable. Sky scrapers here have had windows up for 20-30-50 years+ with no scratches.;)

This is just a 15 minute walk uptown for me (as well as some other MR members) So perhaps Ill take a walk up next Friday and record the events. Ill load the pics on MR afterwords...... Anyone really interested?

yup me 2, i'm around the 70th area... NICE.

rdowns
May 12, 2006, 02:48 AM
Just got this in my email.

http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20060521.html

jkeithh
May 12, 2006, 07:39 AM
I feel your pain. The closest Apple store to me is in Atlanta, 2 hours away too. :(
I was there a few weeks ago and did not want to leave.

Try having to drive 6 hours to get to the closest Apple store.

iSee
May 12, 2006, 09:00 AM
They have released OS upgrades on Saturdays, remember :-). Remember, that second paragraph is pretty much all speculation based on the fact that its around the time that the Macbooks are expected, it is going to be getting press coverage anyways, and the fact that Jobs is planning to be there.

Who knows, jobs might just be there for his beloved glass cube, but it might be more...

Don't get me wrong, I want the MB released then--or at least by then--but I refuse to get my hopes up. It's crazy to get all excited based on rumors and speculation and then be disappointed when it doesn't happen... If I want to stop riding the rumor rollercoaster I guess I should stop reading MR... Nah! Now [i]that[\i] would be crazy! :D

The Apple Store(s) are for mindless drones...

Long live Tekserve!!!

Yeah, Tekserve is the best Apple retailer. Apple stores are nice, but when you want to buy something (in Manhattan anyway) you should go to Teksereve.

freeny
May 12, 2006, 11:06 AM
Don't get me wrong, I want the MB released then--or at least by then--but I refuse to get my hopes up. It's crazy to get all excited based on rumors and speculation and then be disappointed when it doesn't happen... If I want to stop riding the rumor rollercoaster I guess I should stop reading MR... Nah! Now [i]that[\i] would be crazy! :D

Yeah, Tekserve is the best Apple retailer. Apple stores are nice, but when you want to buy something (in Manhattan anyway) you should go to Teksereve.
Tekserve is good, but at times they will try to sell you crap you dont need. This can be a real turn-off.
Its a pretty good place for repairs. But $$$.

Dont leave out "Digital Society"-B'way & 10th. Nice little joint if you want some personal care as well as avoiding the crowds.