PDA

View Full Version : iPod Acting like a.......

saba
May 11, 2006, 05:12 PM
So, for the last 2 days my ipod has been acting really strange.
Im playing some tunes & all of a sudden it cuts out & by itself it skips to the next track.
Or when i have it connected to my Mac at home or work & playing tracks from my ipod through itunes it takes a really long time for it to play a track when i select it.

Should i just restore it to factory settings (backing up of course)???

Or is there another method. Ive done soft restore on it a couple of times, but its not really helping much.

Any ideas!

mad jew
May 11, 2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I reckon the restore (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/) sounds good. As you know though, you'll lose everything on it. :(

virividox
May 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
yeah do a full on hard reset and a wipe
if that doesnt fix it, then its possible your drive may be going bye bye. in that case, pony up some cash, or pray your under warranty

saba
May 11, 2006, 10:15 PM
yeah do a full on hard reset and a wipe
if that doesnt fix it, then its possible your drive may be going bye bye. in that case, pony up some cash, or pray your under warranty

So would ipod hardisks get fragmented???

mad jew
May 11, 2006, 11:13 PM
Fragmentation isn't the issue, and a restore will negate any fragmentation anyway. What I think virividox is saying, and I agree with him, is that these are the signs of a failing hard drive. iPod hard drives fail quite easily because they are so susceptible to jolts and sudden movements. A failed hard drive usually means a job for Apple or a new iPod, if it's out of warranty. :)

virividox
May 12, 2006, 12:42 AM
yeah, its not a fragmentation issue. its more like iv used my ipod for 3 years and the drive is finally conking out. its happened to me - i dont really mind because over the years i have dropped it a bit. that said you shouldnt get a failure within 2 years (barring of course major manufacturers defects), but after 3 years, drives tend to act up

Peyton
May 12, 2006, 12:48 AM
My 4G gray scale ipod is the same way. I just hope the rumors are true, and we get 'real' video ipods soooooooon :)