PDA

View Full Version : Today marks a special day in history

Glenn Wolsey
May 12, 2006, 04:59 AM
Today, I will start buying 100% of my music of the iTunes Music Store. That means no borrowing friends CDs, buying CDs, bittorrent, or P2P.

I've started off the adventure with a $20 Gift Certificate in iTunes to take my iTunes Music Store purchased tracks up to 284. I will also be working at legalizing and re-buying 700 tracks from iTunes which I previously torrented.

I'm looking forward to this, iTunes is a great and convenient way to get music for me, and I cant wait to get stuck in. :)

284 Tracks Purchased and counting...

MIDI_EVIL
May 12, 2006, 05:02 AM
Today, I will start buying 100% of my music of the iTunes Music Store. That means no borrowing friends CDs, buying CDs, bittorrent, or P2P.

I've started off the adventure with a $20 Gift Certificate in iTunes to take my iTunes Music Store purchased tracks up to 284. I will also be working at legalizing and re-buying 700 tracks from iTunes which I previously torrented.

I'm looking forward to this, iTunes is a great and convenient way to get music for me, and I cant wait to get stuck in. :)

Until they offer a higher bitrate than 128 i am sticking to buying CD's.

I think it is disgusting that the quality is so low.

Congratulations though!

Rich.

lamina
May 12, 2006, 05:58 AM
Great news! Imagine everyone did the same as you.

My one and only issue with iTunes is this whole 'authorization' thing. There are 4 computers in my house, and I used about 3 while away at school. I am at my max of 5 computers authorized for my iTunes purchases, and they won't play on one of my computers.

Side note: is there a way to de-authorize computers I don't have access to?

Congratulations on the move to legal music.

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 12, 2006, 06:01 AM
Side note: is there a way to de-authorize computers I don't have access to?Yes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014):

If you find you have reached 5 authorizations [...], you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen. Note: You may only use this feature once per year. The Deauthorize All button will not appear if you have fewer than 5 authorized computers or if you have used this option within the last 12 months.

lamina
May 12, 2006, 06:04 AM
Yes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014):

Yeah I just got off my lazy ass and did a quick search for it. Thanks!

Nermal
May 12, 2006, 06:18 AM

324. Ha! :p

That's about 10 % of my library. If I remove podcasts, then that percentage will be even higher.

Chundles
May 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
168. Would've been higher but my HDD blew up and I lost my videos (about 15 or 20 - damnit.) Ah well, at least my music is safe.

Applespider
May 12, 2006, 06:28 AM
The majority of my recent music is via iTunes since it's easy and I'm not an audiophile.

But it's hardly a special day in history :rolleyes: Your personal history perhaps although I'd suggest that you keep an open mind. While the majority of my music is from iTunes, if the CD is cheaper and I'm in no hurry, I'll order that. As an example, the RHCP CD was £10.99 on Amazon but £14.99 on iTMS.

virividox
May 12, 2006, 06:43 AM
still think buying cds is a better option - but if all you want is 1 track by all means

Chundles
May 12, 2006, 06:53 AM
New CD on iTunes ~AUD$16.99
New CD in shops ~AUD$29

I hate our music industry.

notjustjay
May 12, 2006, 08:53 AM
still think buying cds is a better option - but if all you want is 1 track by all means

Yeah, here in Canada I can often find sales and get CD's for between $9-15. When a downloaded album is $9.99, it often makes more sense to spend the extra couple of bucks and get the album art and a real "hard copy" I can stick in my car or home stereo and be confident that if my hard drive crashes, I still have the music.

Of course, there's still a lot of music missing from our iTunes store, including all those fancy-shmancy "TV shows" y'all get in the US store :P Oh well, maybe in ... 4 years? :rolleyes:

belair
May 12, 2006, 09:16 AM
I started buying my music from the itunes store as sonn as it opened here in Luxemburg. Indy music CD's cost around 20 euros (25 dollars) here…:eek: so itunes is definately a lot cheaper!

I currently own 757 songs i legally downloaded and it feels good.
Altough I always wanted to be a pirate. Har har.:rolleyes:

wyrmintheapple
May 12, 2006, 10:01 AM
Be nice if we in the UK could buy the same stuff thats on the itunes US store. Heres how it works.....

1.) I hear about show on TV in the US, everyone on the internet is talking about how great it is. Its not on in the UK but I'd still like to see it.

2.) I check iTunes and the ABC site etc... wont let me watch it. I'm not in the U.S.

3.) I check a torrent site. Its available for download AND I can get it in the UK.

Net result... I am branded a 'Pirate' and the companies dont get the money I am quite willing to give them.

This is now a global age for the developed world. This releasing music, films, TV and software across different territories (e.g EU, Japan, U.S) is costing them money. Particularly in the UK where we dont need to wait for a different language version. If the film/T.V show is being watched and talked about by my friends in the U.S, I am going to want to watch it too.

Before they worry about Piracy due to scallies and pirates wanting to steal, they should fix this problem where honest people are effectivley forced to steal to watch current T.V shows.

celebrian23
May 12, 2006, 03:12 PM
Why would you buy 700 tracks of music you already own? :confused:

Philberttheduck
May 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
My friend's dad is a CIA agent so anything he does is pretty much monitored and sent to the government. He's got 600 songs off iTunes.. and no p2p to save from the spending. We had a discussion this morning between my friends about a certain song (The Joker, Steve Miller Band) and he didn't have the song. "I'mma get it off iTunes" and my friends started looking shocked (teenagers never like spending their own money, so when they are alternatives such as p2p or torrents..).

An earlier poster mentioned about the bitrate, and I agree completely. Until iTunes can give us at least 192 (I prefer 320 mp3), I'm sticking to CDs and other alternatives (wink wink). Only thing I've ever purchased online that I couldn't get from the computer was the Lakers-Suns Game 4. And that was just a magical video. Now if only I can find a way to convert gvi on windoze to .avi..

bigandy
May 12, 2006, 03:45 PM
Why would you buy 700 tracks of music you already own? :confused:

it quite plainly says he acquired them through slightly dubious channels...

Glenn Wolsey
May 12, 2006, 03:51 PM
it quite plainly says he acquired them through slightly dubious channels...

Yeah, and I'm not proud of it. I would like a 100% legit library.

macOSX-tastic
May 12, 2006, 08:19 PM
Be nice if we in the UK could buy the same stuff thats on the itunes US store. Heres how it works.....

1.) I hear about show on TV in the US, everyone on the internet is talking about how great it is. Its not on in the UK but I'd still like to see it.

2.) I check iTunes and the ABC site etc... wont let me watch it. I'm not in the U.S.

3.) I check a torrent site. Its available for download AND I can get it in the UK.

Net result... I am branded a 'Pirate' and the companies dont get the money I am quite willing to give them.

This is now a global age for the developed world. This releasing music, films, TV and software across different territories (e.g EU, Japan, U.S) is costing them money. Particularly in the UK where we dont need to wait for a different language version. If the film/T.V show is being watched and talked about by my friends in the U.S, I am going to want to watch it too.

Before they worry about Piracy due to scallies and pirates wanting to steal, they should fix this problem where honest people are effectivley forced to steal to watch current T.V shows.

i know what you mean....i would be more than happy to pay for iTunes videos. its just like that law preventing us from using iTrips. rediculous. the UK is overregulated, overpriced and over protective of us and it drives me mad.

S

Glenn Wolsey
May 13, 2006, 10:54 PM
Purchased music is up to 304 Tracks now, 16.87% of my collection.

I'm going to sit down and dwindle another 200 illegal tracks out of my collection, write the names into a textedit document, and work on buying them in the new few months.

puckhead193
May 13, 2006, 10:58 PM
i never used ITMS until i got a gift card, and I never realized how kickbutt it is... so easy, fast, and efficient. :D

Glenn Wolsey
May 13, 2006, 11:20 PM
i never used ITMS until i got a gift card, and I never realized how kickbutt it is... so easy, fast, and efficient. :D

You can say that last part again, no more going into town or having to travel to get music I want. I can have it in seconds.

Alasta
May 14, 2006, 12:17 AM
Glenn, I assume you're using the Australian iTMS? Have you gained access to it by means of getting hold of gift vouchers purchased in Australia, or is it accepting your credit card?

I'm curious because I'm in New Zealand and my credit card has always worked fine on the Australian iTMS, but feedback would indicate that I might lose access when I eventually have to update my credit card's expiry date.

Glenn Wolsey
May 14, 2006, 12:23 AM
Glenn, I assume you're using the Australian iTMS? Have you gained access to it by means of getting hold of gift vouchers purchased in Australia, or is it accepting your credit card?

I'm curious because I'm in New Zealand and my credit card has always worked fine on the Australian iTMS, but feedback would indicate that I might lose access when I eventually have to update my credit card's expiry date.

I'm using the American store. I have a family member who lives over there so I am using their address, and gift certificates from various friends in the states.

If you want help setting a US account out, hit me up on iChat. glennwolsey@mac.com

(Bought another 10 tracks)

Glenn Wolsey
May 14, 2006, 03:24 AM
My library is now 100% completely legal. I can now start to work re-purchasing these tracks and albums (please dont laugh at my music taste, the really good stuff I have already bought ;)) Tracks underlined have been bought. I'm going to keep this list updated of what has been bought, and add anything else that I need to buy.

Songs To Buy

Daft Punk - Technologic
Boyz II Men - I'll Make Love To You
Bodyrockers - The Way You Move
The Calling - Wherever You Will Go
Jean Roch - Summer Loving
Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
Gavin DeGraw - Follow Through
Ben Moody - Everything Burns
Evermore - It's To Late
LeAnn Rimes - But I Do Love You
Three Days Grace - Are You Ready?
D12 - My Band
D12 - How Come
Gorillaz - Last Living Souls
Gorillaz - Dare
Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Daniel Powter - Bad Day
Simple Plan - Don't Wanna Think About You
Greenday - Basket Case
Greenday - Time Of Your Life
Jessica Simpson - These Boots (Are Made For Walkin’)
Evanescence - Going Under
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
Evanescence - My Immortal
Evanescence - Everybody's Fool
Ludacris - Stand Up
Custom - Hey Mister
98 Degrees - The Hardest Thing
98 Degrees - I Do (Cherish You)
Bizarre - Rockstar
Green Day - American Idiot
Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia
Green Day - Holiday
Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
Green Day - She's A Rebel
The Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch
The Bloodhound Gang - Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
Mattafix - Big City Life
Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You
Papa Roach - Scars
Goo Goo Dolls - Give A Little Bit
Pink - God Is A DJ
Ciara - 1/2 Step
Ciara - Oh
B2K - Bump Bump Bump
B2K - Girlfriend
Creed - Higher
Creed - One Last Breath
Creed - With Arms Wide Open
U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
U2 - Vertigo
U2 - Original Of The Species
T-Pain - I'm Sprung
Eamon - I Don't Want You Back
Jack Johnson - Sitting, Waiting, Wishing
Jack Johnson - Good People
Jack Johnson - Breakdown
Thirsty Merc - In The Summertime
Brian McFadden - Real To Me
Gareth Gates - Too Soon
Gareth Gates - Anyone Of Us
Anna Nalick - Breathe
Coldplay - Fix You
Coldplay - Speed Of Sound
Sum 41 - Still Waiting
Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness
Puddle Of Mudd - She Hates Me
Live - Heaven
Finger Eleven - One Thing
Seether - Fine Again
Lil' Flip - Sunshine
Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer
Thirsty Merc - In The Summertime
Jessica Simpson - Angels
Jessica Simpson - Take My Breath Away
Jessica Simpson - With You
Foo Fighters - DOA
Foo Fighters - Best Of You
Robbie Williams - Tripping
Robbie Williams - Advertising Space
Simon Webbe - Lay Your Hands
Will Smith - Switch
Shapeshifters - Lola’s Theme
K-Ci & JoJo - It’s My Life
Queen - We Are The Champions
Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For
Gwen Stefani - Luxurious
Gwen Stefani - Rich Girl
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
Gwen Stefani - Bubble Pop Electric
2Pac - Thugs Get Lonely Too
2Pac - Ghetto Gospel
DHT - Listen To Your Heart
Weezer - We Are All On Drugs
Weezer - Beverly Hills
Nikki Clearly - Hated
Joss Stone - Don’t Cha’ Wanna Ride
Joss Stone - Right To Be Wrong
Joss Stone - You Had Me
James Blunt - High
James Blunt - Your Beautiful
James Blunt - Wisemen
James Blunt - Goodbye My Lover
James Blunt - Out Of My Mind
Kasey Chambers - Not Pretty Enough
Beyonce - 03 Bonnie And Clyde
Beyonce - Naughty Girl
Beyonce - Crazy In Love
Black Eyed Peas - Don’t Lie
Black Eyed Peas - Don’t Phunk With My Heart
Black Eyed Peas - Pump It
R.Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly
Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
Mariah Carey - Shake It Off
Sugababes - Push The Button
4 Clubbers - Secrets
Stacie Orrico - Stuck
The Ataris - The Boys Of Summer
Blessid Union Of Souls - I Believe
Blessid Union Of Souls - Hey Leonardo
Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life
Elemeno P - Burn
Elemeno P - 11:57
My Chemical Romance - Helena
My Chemical Romance - I’m Not Okay
Missy Elliot - I’m Really Hot
Jennifer Lopez - All I Have
Good Charlotte - Girls And Boys
Good Charlotte - The Anthem
Good Charlotte - Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous
Wu-Tang Clan - Gravel Pit
Koffee Brown - After Party
Pink - You Make Me Sick
Craig David - Fill Me In
Xzibit - X
Ludacris - Get Back
Frankie J - How To Deal
MC Lars - iGeneration
Missy Elliot - Lose Control
Ryan Cabrera - True
Outkast - Ms Jackson
Rob Thomas - Lonely No More
3 Doors Down - Let Me Go
Daniel Bedingfield - Wrap My Words Around You
Snoop Dogg - Signs
Snoop Dogg - Let’s Get Blown
Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like Its Hott
Ja Rule - Wonderful
Rihanna - Pon De Replay
Ciara - Goodies
J-Kwon - Tipsy
De La Soul - Shopping Bags
Big Brovaz - Baby Boy
Audioslave - Be Yourself
Yellowcard - Only One
Ryan Cabrera - On The Way Down
Phantom Planet - California
Delta Goodrem - Almost Here
Delta Goodrem - Out Of The Blue
Young Jezzy - Soul Survivor
Stereophonics - Dakota
DMX - Party Up
Joel Turner - These Kids
Mariah Carey - It’s Like That

$152.46

Albums To Buy

Amos Lee - Amos Lee
Britney Spears - Greatest Hits: My Prerogative
Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin
Sash - It’s My Life
Justin Timberlake - Justified
Ashlee Simpson - Autobiography
Ashlee Simpson - I Am Me
DJ Tiesto - Best & New 2005
Linkin Park - Meteora
Simple Plan - MTV Hard Rock Live
Groovejet
Dance Now 2000 - V2

$119.88

iMarley
May 14, 2006, 03:45 AM
I'd save my money with that list of choons:p

Glenn Wolsey
May 14, 2006, 03:56 AM
I'd save my money with that list of choons:p

Haha, I have a quite..different taste in music than a lot. If you looked at my now "old" library, I had a lot of Dance, Jazz, Classical, and older Rock.

Applespider
May 14, 2006, 04:56 AM
Beat in mind that if you're choosing a lot from the same album, it might be an idea to just buy the album for the extra $2/3 I've done that occasionally over here.

The other thing is that you know you can create a playlist in iTunes with all those songs dragged in from the iTMS. Then when you're ready to buy, you can click Buy there rather than having to navigate to each one afresh. And when you've bought them, they change in the playlist so it's easy to clear out the ones that are still there.