PDA

View Full Version : Apple Event on Thursday May 18th, 2006?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
May 12, 2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider is reporting (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1740) that Apple will be holding a "special briefing" in Manhattan, NY for analysts and members of the media.

The event is reportedly scheduled for Thursday, May 18th at 10am Eastern.

In the invites to the event, Apple welcomed analysts and members of the media to preview the new flagship retail location ahead of its Friday evening grand opening, but did not hint at any product introductions.

May 19th is the launch day (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/05/20060511162921.shtml) for the new 5th Avenue flagship Apple store. There has been some speculation that this event will mark the release of the new MacBook and iPod, but no confirmation on that is yet available.

dizastor
May 12, 2006, 12:37 PM
here's hoping for a macbook without integrated graphics.

*crosses fingers*

Bengt77
May 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
Oh, and dare I say it... MacBooks next Thursday!!!!!1!!!11!!!!!!eleven!!*

*) Whatever that means... I still don't know.

Vaphoron
May 12, 2006, 12:41 PM
So now we have Tuesday, Thursday and Friday next week to look for the new MacBooks. I will be seriously disappointed if next week goes by without anything new.

IEatApples
May 12, 2006, 12:41 PM

*crosses fingers*I'm with you all the way on that one :)
And new design.

mikea
May 12, 2006, 12:42 PM

*) Whatever that means... I still don't know.

Here we go again

Doesn't, at this point, have any mention of new product. This event is about the new store. I doubt they will release the MacBook at the store opening.

gugy
MacBook and maybe the new Ipod.

The media center I think will be introduce at MWSF.

Great place to introduce new products. Steve is very smart, what a great way to introduce new stuff in such a cool store.

dongmin

*) Whatever that means... I still don't know.Yup, there it is.

Steve + analysts/media + flagship store = MacBook

edit: I can't imagine a better way to get a flood of people to a new store. Steve will be there. The media will be there. Steve will wow the crowd with new iPod nanos, new slick black MacBooks, etc. EVERYONE in NYC will wanna come and see it for themselves the next day when the store opens.

mikea
May 12, 2006, 12:43 PM
MacBook and maybe the new Ipod.

The media center I think will be introduce at MWSF.

Great place to introduce new products. Steve is very smart, what a great way to introduce new stuff in such a cool store.

Do you realy think so?
I hope you are right, becasue like alot of people here, I want this thing. But, he is not even a for sure to be there.

gugy
May 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
Do you realy think so?
I hope you are right, becasue like alot of people here, I want this thing. But, he is not even a for sure to be there.

We can only hope so!:D

esaleris
May 12, 2006, 12:47 PM
I have one thing to say...

hahahahahahahahaha

iJaz
May 12, 2006, 12:53 PM
Maybe MacBooks and iPod, maybe not, seems plausible however.
I mean, an Apple Event without Jobs, I don't think so. So why not let Jobs show cool new products in a cool new store. I mean, they would probably want some kind of event for the new MacBooks and new iPods, and it's unlikely to happen again very soon. But then again, maybe not. :rolleyes:

milo
May 12, 2006, 12:55 PM
Doesn't, at this point, have any mention of new product. This event is about the new store. I doubt they will release the MacBook at the store opening.

Why not? You think instead they'd have a big press event just for a store opening, only to have a second event a couple weeks later? Putting them together makes perfect sense. I don't know about ipods, would they be a capacity bump or a new design?

Don't forget, this is Appleinsider reporting this, and they've been mostly right recently. If it were Think Secret, I'd be much more skeptical.

But my favorite recent rumor is macosrumors, they're still insisting the name will stay iBook. Idiots.

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 12, 2006, 12:56 PM
Maybe MacBooks and iPod, maybe not, seems plausible however.
I mean, an Apple Event without Jobs, I don't think so. So why not let Jobs show cool new products in a cool new store. I mean, they would probably want some kind of event for the new MacBooks and new iPods, and it's unlikely to happen again very soon. But then again, maybe not. :rolleyes:

Plus - they never just announce ONE product at an event; there's always more than one product (at least recently).

Late last year:
Nano + SLVR + iTunes 5

Video iPod + iMac + iTunes 6

This year:
iMac + MacBook Pro + iLife 06 + iWork 06

iPod Hi-Fi + Mac Mini + Leather Cases (bleh)

iAlan
May 12, 2006, 12:57 PM
Steve will be there, he is just being coy.

And there will be buckets-full of MacBooks lining the walls ready for people to find them a new home (at a price of cource!)

Anyone going?

mikea
May 12, 2006, 12:59 PM
OK, why does this article/post have a question mark on it....It appears to be a fact that thursday there is a press event. correct. It's not a rumor right? Maybe I am wrong.
The story at AI has had a few words added in the last few minutes.....this is getting crazy.

yoak
May 12, 2006, 01:00 PM
I don“t think they will introduce the books in the store opening. It will be seperate, but that of course is only speculation

milo
May 12, 2006, 01:01 PM
OK, why does this article/post have a question mark on it....It appears to be a fact that thursday there is a press event. correct. It's not a rumor right? Maybe I am wrong.
The story at AI has had a few words added in the last few minutes.....this is getting crazy.

It's a rumor until there's confirmation of it. They say they've heard from reliable sources. I assume there will be some sort of official info including a copy of the invite soon.

quigleybc
May 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
am I the only one hoping for a new pod?

I've got my tax return burning a whole in my pocket, and I want something fun to spend it on.....:p

Macbooks would and will be sweet, but I'm not in the market for a new cpu, but a new toy.....I'm always up for that....:D

revjay
May 12, 2006, 01:07 PM
It's a rumor until there's confirmation of it. They say they've heard from reliable sources. I assume there will be some sort of official info including a copy of the invite soon.

Show me the invitation!!!
I want to see it before I'll be sucked into this one!

mhar4
May 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
... readers were left disappointed when the release was reportedly delayed.

Yes, we were all very disappointed!

avensis087
May 12, 2006, 01:11 PM
i want to see this invitation. but, i'm sure if there's an event, there should be some new product to make it worthwhile. i DO think there willl be new MacBooks...i DON'T think there will be new iPods. hopefully i'm wrong about the iPods, but i don't think i am. Here's to new MacBooks (black and white ones) without integrated graphics! PLEEEEEEASE!! :rolleyes:

mr

war
May 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
Don't forget that Apple got alot of crap from people for their last event. The press was sort of annoyed that Jobs brought them all to the Apple campus just to release the intel mini and the iPod speakers. Maybe they are trying to keep the release of the new macbook/ibook a bit more low key so expectations aren't as high as they were for their last event. Many people were saying "That's all?" after the last event. Besides one way to get customers into stores is by releasing new products. So, a new ibook/macbook book could easily be tied to a new store opening.

milo
May 12, 2006, 01:14 PM
... readers were left disappointed when the release was reportedly delayed.

Delayed, my ass. It wasn't delayed, TS just botched their prediction and made up the whole delay excuse to try and weasel out of looking like fools.

Tastannin
May 12, 2006, 01:15 PM
The only real answer is "Wait and see" :eek:

unclepunk
May 12, 2006, 01:16 PM
Can you imagine if at the press event on Thursday that Steve announces not only that the store will be opening up to the general public on Friday, but that you can come on down and pick up the new Macbook in store to celebrate the store opening??? Of course, being able to order online at the same time but as an exclusive to the store to be able to pick them up right away? WOW!!! If that didn't generate press I don't know what would! Can you imagine the clips we'd see on the news of crazed Mac fans busting in to get one?

So is this store definitely going to be 24/7 or is that still speculation at this point? Sorry if I missed previous clarifications on this.

...and if there's a limited supply they could let a certain amount of Macbooks go on sale every hour around the clock to promote the store being 24/7!

Can you tell that I'm getting a little carried away with myself here? I have been very anxiously awaiting the new Macbook! Still a PC / Linux user and have been very patiently waiting for this for over a year... would be my first Mac! Definitely need a more portable solution than the current MacBook Pro :cool:

russed
May 12, 2006, 01:17 PM
who has put this down as a negative? unhappy it isnt here now... today? cant people have some patience!

mtrctyjoe
May 12, 2006, 01:19 PM
OK.... I guess I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME on rumor sites.... but a thinner more powerful black iMacBook is not going to do it for me. I need to see something new.... some glimpse of the future...... a tablet, phone, media center... something.... EARTHSHATTERING!!!

mikea
May 12, 2006, 01:21 PM

Hey, This is my take on the invites..
It doesn't say anything about reliable sources...it reads as follows. IT talks about source when refering to the MacBook which I doubt will come out at this event..and I hope I have to eat my words.

Apple Computer next week will hold a special briefing in New York City for analysts and members of the media, AppleInsider has learned.
The event is scheduled for Thursday, May 18th at 10am ET, the day before the Mac maker will open a new 20,000-square-foot retail store at 767 Fifth Avenue at 59th Street in Midtown, Manhattan.
In the invites to the event, Apple welcomed analysts and members of the media to preview the new flagship retail location ahead of its grand opening the following evening, but did not hint at any product introductions.

Bengt77
May 12, 2006, 01:24 PM
am I the only one hoping for a new pod?

I've got my tax return burning a whole in my pocket, and I want something fun to spend it on.....:p

Macbooks would and will be sweet, but I'm not in the market for a new cpu, but a new toy.....I'm always up for that....:D
Boy, I hope there's no new iPod introduced next week. I have a 60GB 5G iPod in repair. I would hate being returned a brand new one when, had I waited buying it in the first place, I could have a brand new 6G one. (If they're even bumping the generation number with the next iPod, that is. Maybe not. Maybe it'll just be the 'touch screen 5G', and the '5G with video' will become 'just 5G'.)

berkleeboy210
May 12, 2006, 01:28 PM
So now we have Tuesday, Thursday and Friday next week to look for the new MacBooks. I will be seriously disappointed if next week goes by without anything new.

Last time I was in Florida (January during MWSF) they announced the MBP and iMac.

I will be in Florida starting Tuesday, so hopefully the trend will continue that they announce things when i'm on vacation. Here's to MacBooks and iPods next week. If they do release a Black macBook without integrated graphics i may part with my MBP for one of those sexy things. :)

Stridder44
May 12, 2006, 01:30 PM
Yup, there it is.

Steve + analysts/media + flagship store = MacBook

edit: I can't imagine a better way to get a flood of people to a new store. Steve will be there. The media will be there. Steve will wow the crowd with new iPod nanos, new slick black MacBooks, etc. EVERYONE in NYC will wanna come and see it for themselves the next day when the store opens.

Yes, he's right guys. MacBook = thursday. This is it. Apple is bringing out everyone to this (media, analysts, etc.) Im pretty sure that's a sign. He wouldn't jump up on stage and be like "Hey guys! You like the new store!? Cool. See you next time! OH, by the way.......free cookies on your way out!"

nagromme
May 12, 2006, 01:31 PM
A QUIET release of new MacBooks? That would be weird!

But Apple's weird lately, so I believe it :) Quiet release next Tuesday is my prediction. Not waiting for the store-tour event, although the store will certainly feature them too.

shrhaider
May 12, 2006, 01:31 PM
yippeee!! another thing to anticipate, obsess over, post specs about, add to wish lists, bite our nails, fret, dream, wait, until it all builds to a crescendo... and then! ...nothing!

Applespider
May 12, 2006, 01:34 PM
This is just the preview of the store.

They did the same thing in London prior to Regent St opening. When it's a 'flagship', it's a big event and the press etc are invited. I'd like something new... but I'm not holding my breath

Why bother holding a second 'product' invite later? So you can get double the attention and invite them back again?

ghostlife
May 12, 2006, 01:38 PM
im sure i will get flamed as this is only my second post, but i read these boards alot, and based on this press event invite, dont you think it is exactly what is is :

just so the press can come see the new store, get photos, get their stories, then write about for fridays papers etc and they can say 'if youre interested come down tonight to the grand opening!'

this is a huge enough event, i think by bringing in the macbooks at the same time its a distraction maybe, although a tie-in with the new ads, the store and a new macbook, it could be possible.

all i am saying is, the invite does not seem to show anything that would make it a product launch, as it is right now.

ero87
May 12, 2006, 01:38 PM
But my favorite recent rumor is macosrumors, they're still insisting the name will stay iBook. Idiots.

I think it will stay "iBook"! It's silly for them to keep iMac but get rid of iBook. Doesn't make any sense.

although that "macbook" leak on the apple site seems to douse my argument a little...

BenRoethig
May 12, 2006, 01:39 PM
I think the rumor sites are just grasping at straws here and hoping it comes true to save face.

steve_hill4
May 12, 2006, 01:40 PM
If an invitation does eventually materialise, there will be an event. The media will start to get pretty pissed off at Apple if they have another event that is nearly a complete waste.

Here's hoping to an iPod update along with MacBooks now and an iPod AV later.

storage
May 12, 2006, 01:41 PM
I'm getting a MacBook, with or without integrated graphics, if it's THIN and LIGHT and has a good display, those are the things that are most important to me.

The integrated graphics card and the processor should be enough for the graphics I'll be doing.

Oh, and another thing. It HAS to have a Core Duo, else I'm just getting a Dell for a cheaper price than the MacBook.

Here's to a cheap, light and thin MacBook with a good display and a Core Duo processor! :)

pcortez
May 12, 2006, 01:45 PM
I think it will stay "iBook"! It's silly for them to keep iMac but get rid of iBook. Doesn't make any sense.

although that "macbook" leak on the apple site seems to douse my argument a little...

But didn't steve express that he wanted "Mac" on all the computers. that's why iMac stays and iBook goes.

ImAlwaysRight
May 12, 2006, 01:45 PM
May 19th is the launch day for the new 5th Avenue (New York) flagship Apple store. There has been some speculation that this event will mark the release of the new MacBook and iPod, but no confirmation on that is yet available. It is also felt possible that the MacBook could be quietly released this Tuesday prior to the event.

Rumors of the upcoming Intel MacBook peaked last week, but readers were left disappointed when the release was reportedly delayed.
Yes! Gimme Gimme more MacBook rumors so every day I can wet my pants!

aswitcher
May 12, 2006, 01:48 PM
If an invitation does eventually materialise, there will be an event. The media will start to get pretty pissed off at Apple if they have another event that is nearly a complete waste.

Here's hoping to an iPod update along with MacBooks now and an iPod AV later.

Agreed. The time is right.

filterban
May 12, 2006, 01:51 PM

Keep going to MacOSRumors.com, where they have their own little world. To quote Stephen Colbert, they believe the same thing on Wednesday that they believed on Monday... no matter what happened on Tuesday.

The leak on Apple's site was so blatantly obvious. Quite clearly they have already created the pages for the new MacBook and the programming for it got mixed up with an iTunes/iPod web update. (This is an easy mistake to make... it happens to me

I would be very, very surprised if Apple was keeping the iBook moniker.

nsjoker
May 12, 2006, 01:56 PM
sony vaio fj series ftw

Tastannin
May 12, 2006, 01:57 PM
lets agree - it's gonna be iMacBook. That way BOTH camps will be happy.

LOL. :D

milo
May 12, 2006, 02:01 PM
Why bother holding a second 'product' invite later? So you can get double the attention and invite them back again?

Double the attention? No, more like double the opportunity for the press to say "You held this huge event...and THAT'S IT?" They don't want backlash and accusations of overhype like the iHiFi event. People know the Macbook is coming very soon, if they hold ANY event before a Macbook announcment, the press release would be nothing but disappointment that it wasn't the Macbook.

Makes perfect sense if you're aware that Jobs said that all macs would have MAC in the name.

Does iMac have mac in the name? Sure, keep it.

Does iBook have make in the name? Nope. It's changing.

I think the rumor sites are just grasping at straws here and hoping it comes true to save face.

The rumor sites aren't a single entity. TS has been grasping at straws. AI has been saying May since january, with their cautious predictions they've avoided the bad calls so far.

Oh, and another thing. It HAS to have a Core Duo, else I'm just getting a Dell for a cheaper price than the MacBook.

I don't think there's any question that it will be available with core duo. The question is if all the models will have it, or if the cheaper ones will have solo and the beefier configurations solo.

freeny
May 12, 2006, 02:01 PM
Anyone going?
Im going. My invite says "Win great prizes. Get a commemorative t-shirt."
Never been one to pass on SWAG.;)

Spanky Deluxe
May 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
Since the supposed MacBook will be replaceing the 12" powerbooks too I really hope there's a model that comes with a decent GPU and a 1.83Ghz Core Duo. That would rock.

gotohamish
May 12, 2006, 02:06 PM
This is just the preview of the store.

They did the same thing in London prior to Regent St opening. When it's a 'flagship', it's a big event and the press etc are invited. I'd like something new... but I'm not holding my breath

That's it—I got the invite to preview the store. The cube on the invite is awesome too.

It would be great to have MacBooks too though!

iGary
May 12, 2006, 02:06 PM
*snore*

supremedesigner
May 12, 2006, 02:08 PM
Here's what Dr. Evil and Mini-me said:

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Machead III
May 12, 2006, 02:09 PM

*crosses fingers*

Amen to that brother.

puckhead193
May 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
so powerbook G5s on thursday...:rolleyes:
At this point i could careless about an ipod updated or a macbook. They only thing i wanted updated are the iMacs and powermacs..cause i want to get one in the summer...

arn
May 12, 2006, 02:11 PM
surprisingly, this hasn't yet been confirmed by any other news sources.

arn

oober_freak
May 12, 2006, 02:14 PM
I'm telling ya.. Mac Nanos are coming :p :eek:

On a more serious note, bring on the iBooks!

theBB
May 12, 2006, 02:15 PM
Opps, that's not a good sign.

In any case, when is Core Duo processor price coming down? I don't know if it makes sense to introduce a low price computer right before one of the biggest costs is about to go down. I'd think they would wait until they can get the processors cheaper.

milo
May 12, 2006, 02:16 PM

Could someone who has the invite post it?

steve_hill4
May 12, 2006, 02:16 PM

So keep iBook and not PowerBook. Not likely.
Keep iMac and not iBook. Seems a little out of line.

I still have a suspicion that at some point either the iMac as a name will be dropped, or the iBook will be renamed and realigned to another line, perhaps MacBook Mini.

MacBook in many ways doesn't seem connected to any desktop range. MacBook Pro will have Mac Pro, (assuming the trademark rumour from New Zealand was true), to have a MacBook I would feel would warrant a simply named Mac desktop. Maybe we will see the headless version of the iMac with expansion options at some point and this could be called the Mac and paired with the MacBook.

Unlikely, but I would like to see some desktop-laptop connections preserved.

mickhyperion
May 12, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'm repeating myself from another thread, but...

Here's a guess.. Steve will be at the Thursday event to introduce the new MacBooks... Bono will show up to help introduce the Red iPod and talk about the cause it supports. The next day, MacBooks and Red iPods will be flying out the door. Apple will be able to make headlines two days in a row with a major three-pronged marketing push (including the new NYC store). Again, just a guess.

freeny
May 12, 2006, 02:25 PM
Could someone who has the invite post it?
Are you referring to the store opening invite or the media invite?
Here is the store opening invite- Clicking on the "find out more" button takes you to this site-
http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20060521.html

Dont have the media one which im pretty sure is the one you want to see:o

Machead III
May 12, 2006, 02:27 PM
I still have a suspicion that at some point either the iMac as a name will be dropped, or the iBook will be renamed and realigned to another line, perhaps MacBook Mini.

I'm sorry but who the motherf***ing son of a b**** ****sucker needs a hypothetical MacBook Mini?!?! If you don't want a dedicated GPU, an up-to-speed processor and room for a fair amount of RAM, go buy a bloody smartphone or a tablet.

Now, I already have a smartphone, so what I don't need from Apple is some underwhelming cheapo laptop for people who aren't gonna do anything else other than check their mail and organise their music in iTunes.

A portable consumer laptop please Apple, and that means no measly Core Solo, and no pathetic integrated graphics.

Peace
May 12, 2006, 02:30 PM
Keep checking the WSJ Mossberg column.I'm sure he got an invite ;)

dongmin
May 12, 2006, 02:30 PM

hah, I think they're quite clever. they have no facts, no sources, no reporting. and yet, they're still able to generate a lot of hits on their page and sell ads and make money.

i think they 'get it' more than most of us here who take this rumor business so bloody seriously.

Demon Hunter
May 12, 2006, 02:31 PM
Please please please dual-core and dedicated GPU option... oh, and black or white cases...

Demon Hunter
May 12, 2006, 02:33 PM
hah, I think they're quite clever. they have no facts, no sources, no reporting. and yet, they're still able to generate a lot of hits on their page and sell ads and make money.

i think they 'get it' more than the most of us here who take this rumor business so bloody seriously.

Yeah, I used to take them word for word. :rolleyes: I became suspicious when they redesigned the site... and it remained crappy. They love to refer to the "grapevine" and "very reliable sources in Cupertino." :D

milo
May 12, 2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sorry but who the motherf***ing son of a b**** ****sucker needs a hypothetical MacBook Mini?!?!

The same people who use ultralights like the ones from Sony. What's so unreasonable about wanting a mac that's designed for minimum size and weight, and maximum battery life?

Machead III
May 12, 2006, 02:38 PM
The same people who use ultralights like the ones from Sony. What's so unreasonable about wanting a mac that's designed for minimum size and weight, and maximum battery life?

Fine, but now is not the time. If Apple are replacing the iBooks and 12" PowerBook, if there is no Duo and no GPU in the line (which I really do doubt) then Apple have "officially" lost their minds.

AvSRoCkCO1067
May 12, 2006, 02:38 PM
I'm sorry but who the motherf***ing son of a b**** ****sucker needs a hypothetical MacBook Mini?!?! If you don't want a dedicated GPU, an up-to-speed processor and room for a fair amount of RAM, go buy a bloody smartphone or a tablet.

Now, I already have a smartphone, so what I don't need from Apple is some underwhelming cheapo laptop for people who aren't gonna do anything else other than check their mail and organise their music in iTunes.

A portable consumer laptop please Apple, and that means no measly Core Solo, and no pathetic integrated graphics.

Wow...um...dude...CHILL-AX.

Seriously. :rolleyes:

bill4588
May 12, 2006, 02:39 PM
i know many people wont like to hear this, but I think apple may stick a core solo into the macbook if it DOES come out next week, simply to make it different from the macbook pro. of course, you will likely be able to upgrade to a core duo for extra money....but i think the base model will have a solo....which is fine by me because it's still faster than a G4. Why would apple put the same chip that's in their PRO machine in an entry-level consumer laptop?

ero87
May 12, 2006, 02:40 PM
Makes perfect sense if you're aware that Jobs said that all macs would have MAC in the name.

If I remember correctly, he did NOT say that all macs would have "mac" in their name. It seemed more like a small aside to rationalize the renaming of the Powerbook.

the powerbook HAD to be renamed because it still had a name referring to PowerPC processors. Just because Jobs said "we'd like "mac" to be in our products' names" doesn't mean that it will be in EVERY name. For example, the iMac!!!

besides, "i" has come to be synonmous with mac. iPod, iLife, iTunes... everyone knows the connection.

nagromme
May 12, 2006, 02:48 PM
who has put this down as a negative? unhappy it isnt here now... today? cant people have some patience!
Who? About half the voters :D That is too funny. Maybe they are voting negative because the event might be about the NYC store, and they are down on any Apple news BUT MacBooks? Or maybe it's because they fear MacBooks may arrive 2 days later than Tuesday? ("40 seconds! But I want it now!")

Now vote negative, and enjoy the sheer absurdity! "Down with Apple Event Thursday May 18th!"

The MacBooks are having a real full moon effect on people here I think :p

Wait until they appear... the insanity that will be unleashed may be unprecedented.

the powerbook HAD to be renamed because it still had a name referring to PowerPC processors.
The PowerBook just means "power" as in "powerful." PowerBooks existed for many years before PowerPC processors appeared.

And the Chinese characters say "This Side" and the CompUSA iBook event is the same one they always schedule :)

dongmin
May 12, 2006, 02:49 PM
If I remember correctly, he did NOT say that all macs would have "mac" in their name. It seemed more like a small aside to rationalize the renaming of the Powerbook.

the powerbook HAD to be renamed because it still had a name referring to PowerPC processors. Just because Jobs said "we'd like "mac" to be in our products' names" doesn't mean that it will be in EVERY name. For example, the iMac!!!

besides, "i" has come to be synonmous with mac. iPod, iLife, iTunes... everyone knows the connection.
I can't believe people are still going on and on about this. Jeez.

Apple has already leaked 'MacBook' so it's a done deal folks. Move along. There's nothing to discuss. And for the last bloody time: it's just a name. Who gives a flyn' flip what it's called as long as it looks nice and works well?!

MattyMac
May 12, 2006, 02:50 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh I Hope I Dont Have To Work Late On Friday...i Want To Go To The New York Grand Opening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darh
May 12, 2006, 02:50 PM

i really am wondering why people still think that Power in PowerBook stands for the PowerPC processor... Because it don't, it's called powerbook since the 68k processors..;)

edit: nagromme beat me to it:p

hyperpasta
May 12, 2006, 02:54 PM
It seemed more like a small aside to rationalize the renaming of the Powerbook.

The Powerbook debuted with a 68k processor.

Just because Jobs said "we'd like "mac" to be in our products' names" doesn't mean that it will be in EVERY name. For example, the iMac!!!

huhhhh???? iMac

milo
May 12, 2006, 02:57 PM
Fine, but now is not the time. If Apple are replacing the iBooks and 12" PowerBook, if there is no Duo and no GPU in the line (which I really do doubt) then Apple have "officially" lost their minds.

Um...what?

Who ever said that they'd release an ultralight *now*? I haven't seen a single person predict that. A mini laptop would be an addition to the line after existing laptop lineup has been updated.

And I think that some models of the MacBook will have core solo, and all will likely have integrated graphics. Nothing crazy about that, despite all the kicking and screaming they've still been selling plenty of minis. I just hope they use those to keep prices down, my only complaint with these will likely be pricing if they have a solo for $1099. I want to see core solo, but for $899 (which is completely doable).

Willis
May 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
another day, another rumour.... fun

freeny
May 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
The more I read and think about it, the more I am starting to be convinced that the new 20,000sq ft store will be more than a store.

Jobs has been unhappy with Macworld ever since they ditched NYC as the place for their events. I have a feeling this is going to be a platform for Apple and SJ to present their new products for the future.

Im curious to see the space myself next Friday. I have a pretty good feeling there will be some type of largish amphitheater as well as "Convention center" space. Wouldnt be suprised if they hold bi-costal events durring the next Macworld...

Why else would they need so much space?

May 12, 2006, 03:03 PM
The PowerBook just means "power" as in "poweful." PowerBooks existed for many years before PowerPC processors appeared.

And the Chinese characters say "This Side" and the CompUSA iBook event is the same one they always schedule :)

Gosh, Nagromme...are there people STILL discussing the origin of the PowerBook name..? We have answered this a thousand times before...just to tell the young padawans again:

THE FIRST POWERBOOK WAS THE POWERBOOK 100, INTRODUCED BACK IN 1991 WITH A MOTOROLA 68000 PROCESSOR, THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL MAC 128K! THERE YA HAVE IT! POWERBOOK = POWER, NOT POWERPC.

CAN WE BURY THIS DEAD HORSE NOW?

GooMan
May 12, 2006, 03:05 PM
I'm getting a MacBook, with or without integrated graphics, if it's THIN and LIGHT and has a good display, those are the things that are most important to me. The integrated graphics card and the processor should be enough for the graphics I'll be doing.

Oh, and another thing. It HAS to have a Core Duo...

Here's to a cheap, light and thin MacBook with a good display and a Core Duo processor! :)

I agree 100%. I still hold out hope for a backlit keyboard but I don't really expect it. :o

milo
May 12, 2006, 03:05 PM

Here's what he said:
"It's a new name because we're kinda done with power, and we want the Mac name in our products." (we want the name in our products...but just some of them?)

What do you mean, "for example the iMac"? That's got MAC in the name, all right. So far none of the intel macs have a name without it.

truz
May 12, 2006, 03:09 PM
I have to agree myself.. I hope the macbook's come without integrated graphics.

I would also like to see a 1.83ghz cpu in it (can upgrade to or even the 2.0, which I'm sure not). I would like to see a bigger hd then 40GB and a smaller housing with a new design or even the same design but smaller.

ImNoSuperMan
May 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
Here's what he said:
"It's a new name because we're kinda done with power, and we want the Mac name in our products." (we want the name in our products...but just some of them?)

What do you mean, "for example the iMac"? That's got MAC in the name, all right. So far none of the intel macs have a name without it.

OMG. Please for gods sake dump this " Why it`ll be a MacBook and not iBook" arguments. It`s too much waste of energy. There have been atleast 2000 posts arguing wether it`ll be a macBook or not since the name fo new iBooks was rumored. Please stop it.

I dont care if it`ll be an iBook or MacBook or MacKrook. I just want to have one in my hands. Call it watever you want. It`ll perform the same wether you call it a MacBook or iBook or watever. SO PLEASE STOP IT FOR GODS SAKE. Reading such posts only adds to my frustration. As if the delaying MB were not enough.

milo
May 12, 2006, 03:19 PM
OMG. Please for gods sake dump this " Why it`ll be a MacBook and not iBook" arguments. It`s too much waste of energy. There have been atleast 2000 posts arguing wether it`ll be a macBook or not since the name fo new iBooks was rumored. Please stop it.

I dont care if it`ll be an iBook or MacBook or MacKrook. I just want to have one in my hands. Call it watever you want. It`ll perform the same wether you call it a MacBook or iBook or watever. SO PLEASE STOP IT FOR GODS SAKE.

I completely agree. But shouldn't your comment be directed toward the people who bring back this dead horse, namely those that insist that it will still be an ibook?

MacRumorsReader
May 12, 2006, 03:24 PM
Proof that a name really doesn't matter:

Wii

Any questions?

Anyway, the MacBook hype has gone on so long that I don't care anymore. I don't need one. I don't want one. It will create zero cognative dissonance in me.

Just point me in the direction of the new PowerMacs... err... MacMac Pros?

tcloyd
May 12, 2006, 03:26 PM

arn

This was posted at MacWorld on the 11th:

"Apple Cubed -- 5th Avenue to open in New York

By Jim Dalrymple

Apple is set to open its newest retail store on New York's 5th Avenue, the company said on Thursday. "Think inside the box," said the invitation sent to select press this morning for a preview of the location before it officially opens -- an obvious ironic message for a company that is well known for thinking outside the box. Pictures of the store show a giant cube on 5th Avenue that "will form a stunning gateway to a circular glass staircase and cylindrical elevator leading to an underground 25,000-square-foot Apple retail store." "

ImNoSuperMan
May 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
I completely agree. But shouldn't your comment be directed toward the people who bring back this dead horse, namely those that insist that it will still be an ibook?

Yes Yes. I m sorry if I made it look personal. I was talking bout all those who say this will be called an iBook/Macbook and the ones who disagree and start commenting otherwise. So it`s not just you but every one. For the first 10 days it seemed OK. But this argument doesnt die down even after bout 2 months.

All this has already been discussed 100s of times on MR only. So why bother again n again n again.

And the thing is that people are arguing bout a NAME. Who really cares if Steve Jobs was named as Bill Gates and Bill as Steve or Apple as Windows or vice versa. It`s not in the name at all. iPod seemed a really odd name for an MP3 player at first. But did it stop it`s success. And now it seems that there cant be a cooler name for an MP3 player than iPod.

So please stop these arguments bout the name of the iBooks. I`ve never seen more dull n worthless posts on any forum on net. And that too on one of the best Forum Site on the net.

Scruff
May 12, 2006, 03:43 PM
*sniff*

"Why the tears there, Scruff?"

I'm just so happy! :D

ImNoSuperMan
May 12, 2006, 03:48 PM
*sniff*

"Why the tears there, Scruff?"

I'm just so happy! :D

Please Steve. You see how excited people here are. Please dont break our hearts. Please we arent asking for too much. Just a small little cute n sexy MACBOOK.

*sniff*

Me too....

FoxyKaye
May 12, 2006, 04:01 PM
Big event next week? Hmmm...

I'll wager it's going to be leather cases for the iPod Shuffle and the Macbook Pro.

milo
May 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
Proof that a name really doesn't matter:

Wii

Any questions?

It's only proof if it's a hit. If it bombs, maybe the name did matter. :eek:

runninmac
May 12, 2006, 04:13 PM
This was posted at MacWorld on the 11th:

"Apple Cubed -- 5th Avenue to open in New York

By Jim Dalrymple

Apple is set to open its newest retail store on New York's 5th Avenue, the company said on Thursday. "Think inside the box," said the invitation sent to select press this morning for a preview of the location before it officially opens -- an obvious ironic message for a company that is well known for thinking outside the box. Pictures of the store show a giant cube on 5th Avenue that "will form a stunning gateway to a circular glass staircase and cylindrical elevator leading to an underground 25,000-square-foot Apple retail store." "

link?

ImNoSuperMan
May 12, 2006, 04:15 PM
It's only proof if it's a hit. If it bombs, maybe the name did matter. :eek:
I think sucess of Wii will depend on the games,performance and price structure. Not on it`s name. A name is only good enough for grabbing attention and differentiating you from others. Thats it. Nothing else. I wud still love APPLE even if it was originally named ORANGE instead. And I`d still dislike WINDOWS even if it was named DOORS......

Mersen
May 12, 2006, 04:26 PM
From another thread...

Originally Posted by Mersen (Me)
What would be the point of having a press conference the day before a press event? Just to remind the press about what they will see on Friday? It doesnt make sense. They must be releasing somthing. We all hope that it will be the Macbook, but could it be an ipod?

Again I stress, why call the press out just to give them a hint of what they will all see for themselves on Friday (being the impressive store) Surely they must want to get people excited about what lies within the impressive store...ie a Macbook?

Anyone in this thread agree?
What are the odds that its just a Bono endorsed ipod
Odds that its a Macbook?

bill4588
May 12, 2006, 04:32 PM
i seriously think it's a macbook, and if it's not...well that's kinda stupid.....these macbooks have been in production for a couple weeks at least so I'm sure they're just sitting around waiting for people to buy them. next thursday seems promising.

tcloyd
May 12, 2006, 04:39 PM
link?

Check it out.......

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/11/cubed/index.php

milo
May 12, 2006, 04:44 PM
I think sucess of Wii will depend on the games,performance and price structure. Not on it`s name. A name is only good enough for grabbing attention and differentiating you from others. Thats it. Nothing else. I wud still love APPLE even if it was originally named ORANGE instead. And I`d still dislike WINDOWS even if it was named DOORS......

Sure, those all matter. But names do have some effect on public perception and sales, even if it may be a small one. If the name turns people off, people may not even take a look at game, performance, or price.

You think if you took a product and released it in one market with a good name, and in another market named iTurd, it would sell the same in both?

freeny
May 12, 2006, 04:54 PM
From another thread...

Originally Posted by Mersen (Me)
What would be the point of having a press conference the day before a press event? Just to remind the press about what they will see on Friday? It doesnt make sense. They must be releasing somthing. We all hope that it will be the Macbook, but could it be an ipod?

Again I stress, why call the press out just to give them a hint of what they will all see for themselves on Friday (being the impressive store) Surely they must want to get people excited about what lies within the impressive store...ie a Macbook?

Anyone in this thread agree?
What are the odds that its just a Bono endorsed ipod
Odds that its a Macbook?
I think this is just a way for the press to see the space without the throngs of Macfans and lookieloos to deal with.

Legacy
May 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
i really am wondering why people still think that Power in PowerBook stands for the PowerPC processor... Because it don't, it's called powerbook since the 68k processors..;)

edit: nagromme beat me to it:p

Ditto!

On a related note....the computer WILL be called MACBOOK...how can you like, see a hiccup on the Apple site saying 'MacBook' and yet think the iBook name will remain...it is beyond my belief :rolleyes:

Mersen
May 12, 2006, 04:58 PM
I think this is just a way for the press to see the space without the throngs of Macfans and lookieloos to deal with.

If that was the case wouldn't they just open the doors an hour or two earlier for just the press?? It seems odd to call them out 2 days in a row, anyone agree?

mazola
May 12, 2006, 05:10 PM
I have it on good authority that they will announce -- get ready for this -- the iMacBook.

There. I've said it.

sam10685
May 12, 2006, 05:17 PM
i have a feeling we're going to get a few more things than just a new ibook/macbook/whatever it's going to be called. we haven't had an Apple event in several months and the last one wasn't that great. (february 28th-- ipod hifi, $100 ipod leather case, intel mac mini.)

peharri
May 12, 2006, 05:22 PM

"Think inside the box". That's the clue. Apple isn't coming out with a line of MacBooks as the replacement to the iBook at all. No.

They're going to be selling... Thinkpads! That's it. You'll be able to walk into any Apple Store and purchase a Thinkpad, running Mac OS X. You'll be able to get a T60, with a 1400x1050 screen. 2.5GHz Core Duo, X1800 graphics, 1G of RAM, and a DL DVD burner, for $3,000, or a R51e, with a 20MHz 386SL, 6 megabytes of RAM, and a 2.88megabyte floppy drive, with 640x480 VGA graphics, for $399.

It's the only possible explanation!

ImNoSuperMan
May 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sure, those all matter. But names do have some effect on public perception and sales, even if it may be a small one. If the name turns people off, people may not even take a look at game, performance, or price.

You think if you took a product and released it in one market with a good name, and in another market named iTurd, it would sell the same in both?

Yeah. You are actually getting my point now. Just tell me out of MacBook and iBook which one sounds like iTurd.

Do you get it now. Both the names are good enough. One has the legendary, "i" in it and the other has an even more clasic "Mac" in it. Might the rumor had been that the name of new iBooks will be iCooks or MacHooks then your point is valid. But MacBook is not that bad a name. Then why all this fuss?

OMG. I m doing exactly the same thing for which I cursed others. Gettin in to worthless arguments. OK it`s not as bad as Why MacBooks and not iBooks when there`s been no change in the name of iMac. But Suppose both of us come back tomarrow and there`s yet another rumor bout iBooks. And instead of commenting on iBooks or the rumor, We two start this Wats in a Name thing again. And then Again on next day. And once more on day after that. Thats what frustrated me. People are still arguing bout the same thing which they did yesterday, the day before and the day before that too and so on. Whats the point. I seriously dont get it.

This is not to say that name doesn matter. You wont find much takers for iTurd. But then someone has to be really stupid to name their muti million dollar product as iTurd or something.

ImNoSuperMan
May 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
"Think inside the box". That's the clue. Apple isn't coming out with a line of MacBooks as the replacement to the iBook at all. No.

They're going to be selling... Thinkpads! That's it. You'll be able to walk into any Apple Store and purchase a Thinkpad, running Mac OS X. You'll be able to get a T60, with a 1400x1050 screen. 2.5GHz Core Duo, X1800 graphics, 1G of RAM, and a DL DVD burner, for $3,000, or a R51e, with a 20MHz 386SL, 6 megabytes of RAM, and a 2.88megabyte floppy drive, with 640x480 VGA graphics, for $399.

It's the only possible explanation!
I was wondering if I cud run parallels on the latter. Ok I`ll double the RAM to a whopping 12MB. That should do it. Yeah...........

mazola
May 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
Sometimes a store opening is just a store opening.

milo
May 12, 2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah. You are actually getting my point now. Just tell me out of MacBook and iBook which one sounds like iTurd.

I've been getting your point all along. I was just responding to the post about the Wii. I agree that neither MacBook nor iBook is bad. I don't really care which name they use. I just think it's stupid for people to insist that it will stay iBook when Jobs has pretty much said it won't.

This is not to say that name doesn matter. You wont find much takers for iTurd. But then someone has to be really stupid to name their muti million dollar product as iTurd or something.

About as stupid as naming a billion dollar product Wii? :)

True. But when it includes TWO press events...it's usually not.

Unless apple WANTS the press to rake them over the coals for much ado about nothing. Again.

MrCrowbar
May 12, 2006, 06:00 PM

<nods>

So let me get this right: The press is invited one day before the opening. Probably to take pictures for the newspapers and stuff. There is no real clue for a keynote for new stuff right? However, the new store would be a great occasion to announce new products. So we ahould watch out for Macbooks and/or iPod Nanos and maybe "one more thing" or two.

APPLENEWBIE
May 12, 2006, 06:08 PM
Steve Jobs opens the store, everyone oohhhs and awwws. and then..."and one more thing..."

sunfast
May 12, 2006, 06:10 PM
We may see the fabled MB next week, we may not.

But the mass of opportunities next week sugest that something is on the pipeline. So fingers crossed! :D

monkeyandy
May 12, 2006, 06:14 PM
this is all starting to get a little boring now...:rolleyes:

APPLENEWBIE
May 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
I've not been paying attention... how long has the apple store only had 12" PB's?

MrCrowbar
May 12, 2006, 06:25 PM
I've not been paying attention... how long has the apple store only had 12" PB's?

I think since the day the 17" Macbook Pro was out. And yes, I want a 12" Macbook Pro ;(

nagromme
May 12, 2006, 06:59 PM
On a related note....the computer WILL be called MACBOOK...how can you like, see a hiccup on the Apple site saying 'MacBook' and yet think the iBook name will remain...it is beyond my belief :rolleyes:
That's a good point. Are there any other reasons to think the name will--or won't--be MacBook?

:)

But MacBook is not that bad a name. Then why all this fuss?

OMG. I m doing exactly the same thing for which I cursed others.
For shame! :D

technicolor
May 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
There wont be any new products.

boncellis
May 12, 2006, 07:14 PM
...Don't forget, this is Appleinsider reporting this, and they've been mostly right recently. If it were Think Secret, I'd be much more skeptical.

Agreed. And I have to say, a thread is just not complete without milo putting the smack down on someone...in this case MacOSRumors--and rightfully so.

I think this would be a good venue to introduce something new, especially because it seems like the design/specs have been in Apple's back pocket for a while now, just that production has had hiccups (from what I have read).

I don't have much use for another portable--but this is one more step until Merom!

ImAlwaysRight
May 12, 2006, 08:39 PM
I have it on good authority that they will announce -- get ready for this -- the iMacBook.

There. I've said it.
I wouldn't consider a name invented on this forum "good authority." :rolleyes:

You'll see the MacBooks released this coming Tuesday, May 16th. The MacBook release has nothing to do with the event on Thursday nor the store opening. Watch for an upcoming article by AppleInsider spilling the beans on the MacBook release. ThinkSecret may run such and article also, and in a way they already have, but they've cried wolf one too many times on the MacBook to really be credible.

The store opening IS just a store opening, and it has nothing to do with the MacBook. The store opening is a local event; the MacBook release is a worldwide event. Everyone else outside of the NY area probably is not too interested in the NY store opening. But, the new store in NY will be a great way to sell the MacBook to local folks, and Apple will be sure to highlight the MacBook for the press.

MrCrowbar
May 12, 2006, 08:52 PM
You'll see the MacBooks released this coming Tuesday, May 16th. The MacBook release has nothing to do with the event on Thursday nor the store opening. Watch for an upcoming article by AppleInsider spilling the beans on the MacBook release. ThinkSecret may run such and article also, and in a way they already have, but they've cried wolf one too many times on the MacBook to really be credible.

Wow. Rumors about upcoming rumors now... :rolleyes:
I agree ThinkSecret wasn't very accuratwe lately. Actually, there's not been any "official" hint about the Macbook except the page on apple.com, right? I must say, Apple has really done a great job keeping it all secret. Al we know right now is the name "Macbook" as many here had guessed (MBP without the Pro... quite obvious). We don't know about specs, material or color. Only wishful assumptions have been made here. I'd really like to see spme specs and elevator photos in here. What's the point in visiting these photos if I don't get information before it's officially announced? :D Oh well, I guess it's just me being too excited about the Macbooks. :o

PS: Remind me to wait the few months until Merom. Just bought an iMac and I'd really like to fulfil my personal transition but I just don't want to buy a new laptop now if Merom is waiting with much better battery life. I'd like 5 hours on normal usage (I hate turning the brightness down, makes me squint). I don't really mind about performance. What I want is pure battery life and a good keyboard (like the Powerbooks). Think I'll get a white one to match the iMac. :-)

inmotion
May 12, 2006, 08:58 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
APPLE YOU'RE KILLING ME...... (SINCE JANUARY) :rolleyes:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THERE BE A MACBOOK... FOR MY SANITY'S SAKE!

yea, i agree with everyone that its quite unlikely for apple just to randomly throw in two press conferences.....

hope is all we've got left ..........

dllavaneras
May 12, 2006, 08:59 PM
It does seem logical (at least to me) to announce a new product before the opening of ther flagship store. This opening has been hyped for a while, and it's bound to generate a lot of attention. Doesn't seem like a bad marketing strategy to me (on the other hand, I'm just a Biology major :rolleyes:)

On a completely different, thread irrelevant note: How on earth do you pronounce Wii? something like "weeeeeee!!"?

DMann
May 12, 2006, 10:23 PM
Why not? You think instead they'd have a big press event just for a store opening, only to have a second event a couple weeks later? Putting them together makes perfect sense. I don't know about ipods, would they be a capacity bump or a new design?

Don't forget, this is Appleinsider reporting this, and they've been mostly right recently. If it were Think Secret, I'd be much more skeptical.

The name for the intel iBook is likely to distinguish it from a higher
end MacBook thin which will be introduced next month.

DMann
May 12, 2006, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't consider a name invented on this forum "good authority." :rolleyes:

The store opening IS just a store opening, and it has nothing to do with the MacBook. The store opening is a local event; the MacBook release is a worldwide event. Everyone else outside of the NY area probably is not too interested in the NY store opening. But, the new store in NY will be a great way to sell the MacBook to local folks, and Apple will be sure to highlight the MacBook for the press.

By releasing the iBooks Tuesday, they could be said to be
available on Friday at the new flagship Apple Store Grand
Opening. An opportunity to double advertise!

Legacy
May 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
If any of you havent seen this from the other thread here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.it/MacBook-nuovo-iBook-Mac-Apple-MacBook-AnteprimaMondiale_W0QQitemZ150000117097QQcategoryZ171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Proposed specs are:

MacBook 13.3" :
13.3" Widescreen (w/ 4:3 1280x1024 resolution?:p)
Intel Core Duo a 1,66 GHz (fair enough)
512MB RAM (i guess so)
60GB 5400rpms HDD (possibly)
SuperDrive 2x (more unlikely than likely to see a 2x)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 64MB memory GDDR3 (X1400 more likely)
iSight+FR

Pricepoint: ~ 1500Euros ($1900 lol)

Selling slogan: 'INCREDIBILE: una vera bomba!'

Well at least..now we know what the Italian rumours are like:rolleyes:

weitzner
May 12, 2006, 11:21 PM
I hope there will be a keynote - I love watching the keynotes

toddheasley
May 12, 2006, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Legacy]If any of you havent seen this from the other thread here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.it/MacBook-nuovo-iBook-Mac-Apple-MacBook-AnteprimaMondiale_W0QQitemZ150000117097QQcategoryZ171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I thought I wanted a black MacBook, but seeing that TiBook painted shiny black... not so sure.

I think it's perfectly fine to debate whether the iBook name will change (to MacBook), but unless you'd care to share why you think it'll go one way or another, keep it to yourself. For example, I think it's gonna be "MacBook" BECAUSE (a) we all saw it written on the Apple site and (b) because Steve is distilling the product line (and naming conventions) down -- there seems to be a pattern. The MacBook Pro kept the PowerBook form factor, iMac and mini form factors stayed the same. So we'll see something that is obviously a close descendant of the iBook, and it'll be called a MacBook. (It won't be a 12-inch PowerBook replacement; there won't be one.) There will be two Pro laptops and one consumer one -- with integrated graphics. Maybe even a single-core processor, in order to keep the price tag $999 or lower.

Knowing Steve, doing a 17-inch MacBook Pro was probably a compromise, much as keeping the iPod shuffle around. If Steve had it his way, there'd fewer computers. One laptop, one Mac, one iPod. The fact that there's more stuff is a compromise. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the iMac name shortened to just "Mac." Steve knows the "i" thing is getting tired, and if you think about what the iMac is... It's the current day Macintosh.

AidenShaw
May 13, 2006, 12:04 AM
Please wake me when this nonsense is over.

The best news would be:

- New 64-bit MacBook on Tuesday, 15 August.

Anything sooner is Apple just trying to drain your checkbooks with soon-to-be-obsolete technology.

Just say NO! Wait for Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest...

Legacy
May 13, 2006, 12:05 AM
I really hope they release these babies soon....

Apple are doing 6 months interest free purchase on all Mac's for students in the UK, but the offer ends 31st May. If I can get through my purchase before then..I'm sorted!! £150pm (assuming it will cost £900) is sweet!:D

PS: They also seem to have adopted this policy whereby AppleCare is available for £60+VAT 1/3 of the price...:confused:

p0intblank
May 13, 2006, 02:42 AM
I would love to attend the grand opening of the store... it would definitely be a moment to remember. And if Steve himself is there... :eek:! I'm seriously considering taking the train up to New York for this.

monkeyandy
May 13, 2006, 03:04 AM

The best news would be:

Anything sooner is Apple just trying to drain your checkbooks with soon-to-be-obsolete technology.

WTF! Do you live in the real world mate?! :confused:

Machead III
May 13, 2006, 03:55 AM
Will we see a "12 PB replacement with 128mb VRAM (natural progression from the previous 64MB) for around £1100/$2000? Coz datz w0t I wants y0.

mavherzog
May 13, 2006, 04:08 AM
The point is that Apple want the "Mac" name in all of their Mac products. iMac has it...iBook doesn't.

Multimedia
May 13, 2006, 05:21 AM

The best news would be:

Just say NO! Wait for Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest...I second that advice. Bravo for patience and self-control in the face of obsolete "new" products since January. So many reasons to wait, so many willing not to . . . :eek:

That will be at the Monday August 7th SteveNote at the San Francisco WWDC BTW. Alden forgot to look at his calendar. :)

If it doesn't happen for MacBooks as well as for MacBook Pros at that point, then Apple will really be pulling the wool over as many gullible eyes as it can beyond the pale of what it is doing now - which is sort of a short term profit trick in the guise of a faster technology PATCH that will have a mid term DEAD END in the not too distant future.WTF! Do you live in the real world mate?! :confused:The real world is going to be all 64-bit hardware within 3 months from now. You need a computer sooner than that that can do something you can't do with what you have now, by all means go for it. But if you can survive on your current model(s), then Alden is correct.Oh yeah, here we go again..."obsolete" to whom? If a Core Duo is fast enough for your needs, just buy it...there is always something new around the corner...if we were to take that advice we'd NEVER buy any computers...

That is a bad advice, and already argued against in other threads. My iMac G5 is AWESOME, and it carries an "obsolete" single G5 as well...there is no need to be always on the bleeding edge, sorry.BRLawyer, please chill. All we're trying to post here is a warning to all that if you can hold out a little longer, it will be worth the wait for what will ship before Summer's end. We're talking about 3 months from now. It's not like we're saying wait another year - although I will be doing that to get an eight core Mac to replace my Quad G5. I don't know if you read the outstanding analysis that AldenShaw & ehurtley wrote over at the Core 2 Duo thread - esp Page 9 Posts 201 & 202 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=199080&page=9). But they make it pretty clear that what is shipping until Core 2 - which begins in little more than 2 WEEKS - is pretty much a DEAD END very soon in future. Now you want to argue that everyone should just blindly go ahead and buy what we can read here are fairly SHODDY FIRST GEN MacBook Pros FROM A NEW CONTRACTOR IN CHINA fine. I don't think so and neither do Alden and ehurtley - I think.

I understand your iMac G5 is awesome. And so is my Quad. But these 32-bit Intels are all going to wish they were 64-bit sooner than their Applecare will expire. OK fine for short term satisfaction. I agree with you that waiting is not required to have a blast with one of these BETA MOBILES. All I'm saying is wait if you can. There will probably be better quality control by the time Merom Core 2 Duo Mobiles ship. Surely you don't think that the quality control on these Rev.A mobiles is up to snuff yet do you? :eek:

The "bleeding Edge" you refer to is what is for sale now that is being called "new". I think what ships this summer will not be "bleeding edge" but rather, more dependable longer lasting new manufacturing quality control improved products.

May 13, 2006, 05:26 AM
I second that advice. Bravo for patience and self-control in the face of obsolete "new" products since January. So many reasons to wait, so many willing not to . . . :eek:

Oh yeah, here we go again..."obsolete" to whom? If a Core Duo is fast enough for your needs, just buy it...there is always something new around the corner...if we were to take that advice we'd NEVER buy any computers...

That is a bad advice, and already argued against in other threads. My iMac G5 is AWESOME, and it carries an "obsolete" single G5 as well...there is no need to be always on the bleeding edge, sorry.

Machead III
May 13, 2006, 05:37 AM
Forget this. I'm getting an iMac.

Elrond39
May 13, 2006, 05:52 AM
Oh yeah, here we go again..."obsolete" to whom? If a Core Duo is fast enough for your needs, just buy it...there is always something new around the corner...if we were to take that advice we'd NEVER buy any computers...

That is a bad advice, and already argued against in other threads. My iMac G5 is AWESOME, and it carries an "obsolete" single G5 as well...there is no need to be always on the bleeding edge, sorry.

I'm going to side with BRLawyer on this one:
What would I stand to gain from waiting for a Merom-based MacBook? 25% increase in speed (which I likely wouldn't notice, consider I'm not much of a power-user -- the Core Duo Yonah seems to be more than fast enough for my needs; GarageBand), and extended battery-life, correct? What would I, as a consumer stand to gain by waiting yet longer for a chipset which I may or may not notice the effects of? (the battery-life would, naturally, be nice, but I could also just buy a second battery...)

netdog
May 13, 2006, 06:07 AM
What would I stand to gain from waiting for a Merom-based MacBook? 25% increase in speed (which I likely wouldn't notice, consider I'm not much of a power-user -- the Core Duo Yonah seems to be more than fast enough for my needs; GarageBand), and extended battery-life, correct? What would I, as a consumer stand to gain by waiting yet longer for a chipset which I may or may not notice the effects of? (the battery-life would, naturally, be nice, but I could also just buy a second battery...)

You seem to have left out the chip's 64-bit capabilities. If you want to get 3 years out of your MacBook, you are probably going to want 64-Bit capabilities at some point.

Given that we are only three months away from the Merom, I am also surprised that you are not interested in 25% speed increases in processing power, better battery life, and a cooler-running laptop. For anyone who doesn't absolutely need to upgrade now, the Merom will really offer a lot more very soon. For those who do need to upgrade now, the Yonah is a great chip.

Multimedia
May 13, 2006, 06:30 AM
What would I stand to gain from waiting for a Merom-based MacBook? 25% increase in speed (which I likely wouldn't notice, consider I'm not much of a power-user -- the Core Duo Yonah seems to be more than fast enough for my needs; GarageBand), and extended battery-life, correct? What would I, as a consumer stand to gain by waiting yet longer for a chipset which I may or may not notice the effects of? (the battery-life would, naturally, be nice, but I could also just buy a second battery...)3 Months Of Quality Control Development. :)

May 13, 2006, 07:12 AM

Exactly. They talk in this forum as if people were always in need of the "latest and greatest". My reply still stands: if a Core Duo MB suffices for you, go ahead and buy it. It's gonna be leagues ahead of any iBook G4, it's gonna be faster than any iMac G5 and most earlier PM G5s, and it's gonna have AT LEAST a pretty good battery life with a reasonable price tag.

The real world gains of Merom will be roughly around 15%, nothing more. You may get a little more battery, a little less heat, EM64T support and a higher price.

For MANY, this is not enough in the short/mid-term, and I am pretty sure that the market targets for the MB are NOT bleeding edge people, or heavy-users of PS and scientific apps (even though they may use them in a comfortable way).

A "dead end" chip is a chip that doesn't work for you anymore. Is this the case of Yonah (or even the G4, for many)? Not AT ALL. Do I use the G5's 64-bit capability? No, and probably less than 1% of the computer world works on 64-bit apps/needs; 64-bit computing is still restricted to a few privileged circles, not the home user.

It's about time to settle this old myth that "64-bitness is next to godliness". It's NOT now, and it's NOT gonna be for at least the next 2 years in mass adoption, unless you need crazy amounts of memory, for what a MB should never be purchased anyway.

Just to dispel some stories...from Apple's G5 developer pages:

"What is 64-bit Computing?

For the purposes of this document, 64-bit computing is defined as support for a 64-bit address space—that is, support for concurrent use of more than 4 GB of memory by a single executable program—no more, no less."

From the same source (concerning G5 chips):

"Myth #4:
Myth: Every application needs the ability to work with more than 4 GB of RAM.
Fact: Most applications have relatively modest memory requirements (a gigabyte or less). Some applications need more. Many of these applications can do so without moving to a 64-bit address space. Generally speaking, only scientific applications have moved to 64-bit executables on other platforms. There are a few exceptions, though, such as large-scale 3D rendering applications."

"Myth #5:
Myth: My application will have much faster performance if it is a “native” 64-bit application.
Fact: This is true for some other architectures because the number of registers and the width of registers changes between 32-bit and 64-bit mode. However, the PowerPC architecture does not have either of these limitations. It was designed for 64-bit computing from the beginning, and supports 64-bit arithmetic instructions in 32-bit mode. Thus, on PowerPC architectures, software does not generally become faster (and may actually slow down) when compiled as a 64-bit executable."

From Wiki:

"Also, few if any laptops can accept more than 2 GB of RAM, negating the large physical memory aspect of 64-bit support. Hence, for its intended market (mobile and laptop PCs), the lack of 64-bit support is inconsequential at the moment."

So, unless you expect to use your machine in the latest games (that don't exist yet in 64-bit, apart from UT2004 perhaps), to gobble up memory for video production or other high-end uses, just nevermind. After all, why would a home user need more than 4Gb RAM for a single executable? Nope, I don't know it either.

p.s.: Having said this, I would be glad to see a Merom in a MB with the same iBook price range...will it happen? Most likely not. Besides, it's been said that Merom may be plugged onto Yonah MOBOs...if you really need 64-bitness in the future, just let the upgrade companies swap the chip for ya...

ImNoSuperMan
May 13, 2006, 07:13 AM
3 Months Of Quality Control Development. :)
That just reminded me that MBPs are bout 4 months old now.

vespats
May 13, 2006, 07:14 AM
You seem to have left out the chip's 64-bit capabilities. If you want to get 3 years out of your MacBook, you are probably going to want 64-Bit capabilities at some point.

Given that we are only three months away from the Merom, I am also surprised that you are not interested in 25% speed increases in processing power, better battery life, and a cooler-running laptop. For anyone who doesn't absolutely need to upgrade now, the Merom will really offer a lot more very soon. For those who do need to upgrade now, the Yonah is a great chip.

i read a lot about it in the last week (i try to keep myself busy while i wait for the MB)

the 64bit prozessor has only advantages if you need ALOT of ram (>4GB) or if you handle really BIG files.
so if you don't need a database server for example, you don't need a 64bit prozessor. the rest is just marketing. most people don't know what 64 bit means. it is just more accurate (if you have the right program eg. computional fluid dynamics) and you can allocate more ram - thats all.

i'm not waiting any longer - in fact, if you wait for the merom you also have to wait for Santa Rosa and SR will not be introduced in 2006

ImNoSuperMan
May 13, 2006, 07:28 AM

The best news would be:

Ahhhh.. Last time I checked iBooks(or call it MacBook) were supposed to be consumer laptops. Not pro. Most of the people(including me) are waiting for the new intel iBooks coz MBP is much more than we might ever need. You are not waiting for a 13"MB. You are dreaming bout a 13" MBP instead. Remember it`s not the MBP people want. We want a MB. A home consumer level notebook. Not a pro laptop. I dont think such users wil really need Merom.

And with the rumors saying it might be a core solo, I think core duo will be way more than enuff for us. It`ll definitely have integrated gfx atleast in the base model. I just wish a 1.5Ghz CoreDuo with 64MB VRAM is also available at the launch. I`ll definitely pay 1400$ for that machine.
And yes. I`d love if it`s in Black or may be even a Bright Red. White just wont do.

May 13, 2006, 07:31 AM
Just thought something out of the blue now...considering that NYC store has a big glassy cube, why not bring back a revamped CUBE as Anniversary Mac..? That would be totally unexpected, just as Steve J would like...:rolleyes:

peharri
May 13, 2006, 07:34 AM
Some thoughts:

1. We don't know if The Steve will even be at the press event

2. Some people have described this as meaning there are "two press events". So far as I can see, the actual opening is not a press event. The opening is literally the term used to mean "The first day the store's open", not some ceremony involving cutting ribbons and stuff. It appears the press event, rather than scheduled for the morning (with a ribbon cutting thing...) is scheduled for the previous evening.

3. So, all things said, nothing's pointing at this having anything to do with anything other than opening a new flagship store. (Yes, it's an important store, it's in Manhattan. You will see publicity for it, in a way you simply will not for a store opened in Palm Beach Florida)

4. The MacBook would be a nice thing to announce there, but the store's publicity may distract from the machine itself. You're not going to try to use one to promote the other. Both events promote themselves.

5. Therefore... highly unlikely (no Steve, cross promotion a liability not an advantage) to see MacBooks at the Apple Store event.

6. WTF is this crap about 64 bit? In my entire life as a programmer, since the early eighties, I've not come across a single application that needed 64 bit addressing. There were plenty of apps in the early eighties that needed 32 bit addressing but couldn't get it and resorted to paging and other hacks, but paging today? The best I can imagine is that you might rewrite a few video apps to store the entire movie in RAM, but if you do, be prepared for it to be slower than processing the movies traditionally because of the inefficiencies that get hidden from the programmer. That's the best I can think of.

We will *need* 64 bit eventually. Not today though, and probably not for another decade. For the next decade, 64 bits will provide an infrastructure to allow us to develop those applications, and more usefully, 64 bit *arithmetic* will offer some speed benefits, especially with graphics (there's a reason most games consoles went 64 bit in the mid-nineties) Those speed benefits will be limited and the more usual technological advances, such as in bus speeds, will make more of a difference for "average" applications.

I'm all for technological advances, but to assume an Apple laptop aimed at the consumer market will not sell because in three months the entire world will go 64 bit is ridiculous.

Anyway to get back to the subject in hand, 25% chance of a MacBook release on the 18th.

ImAlwaysRight
May 13, 2006, 07:44 AM
The real world is going to be all 64-bit hardware within 3 months from now. You need a computer sooner than that that can do something you can't do with what you have now, by all means go for it. But if you can survive on your current model(s), then Alden is correct.
The way you write its as if all Macs will be shipping with Merom in August. Plus you make it sound like 64-bit is 100% faster than 32-bit, and the Mac OS and all Apple apps will take advantage of 64-bit processors come August. Maybe that is not what you intend to say, but it sure sounds like it. And both you and Aiden make it sound like Yonah processors are obsolete before they even ship. Give it a rest. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Some thoughts:
6. WTF is this crap about 64 bit? In my entire life as a programmer, since the early eighties, I've not come across a single application that needed 64 bit addressing. There were plenty of apps in the early eighties that needed 32 bit addressing but couldn't get it and resorted to paging and other hacks, but paging today? The best I can imagine is that you might rewrite a few video apps to store the entire movie in RAM, but if you do, be prepared for it to be slower than processing the movies traditionally because of the inefficiencies that get hidden from the programmer. That's the best I can think of.

We will *need* 64 bit eventually. Not today though, and probably not for another decade. For the next decade, 64 bits will provide an infrastructure to allow us to develop those applications, and more usefully, 64 bit *arithmetic* will offer some speed benefits, especially with graphics (there's a reason most games consoles went 64 bit in the mid-nineties) Those speed benefits will be limited and the more usual technological advances, such as in bus speeds, will make more of a difference for "average" applications.

I'm all for technological advances, but to assume an Apple laptop aimed at the consumer market will not sell because in three months the entire world will go 64 bit is ridiculous.
PRAISE GOD FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!! :D

May 13, 2006, 08:11 AM
I second that advice. Bravo for patience and self-control in the face of obsolete "new" products since January. So many reasons to wait, so many willing not to . . . :eek:

I don't know if you read the outstanding analysis that AldenShaw & ehurtley wrote over at the Core 2 Duo thread - esp Page 9 Posts 201 & 202 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=199080&page=9). But they make it pretty clear that what is shipping until Core 2 - which begins in little more than 2 WEEKS - is pretty much a DEAD END very soon in future. Now you want to argue that everyone should just blindly go ahead and buy what we can read here are fairly SHODDY FIRST GEN MacBook Pros FROM A NEW CONTRACTOR IN CHINA fine. I don't think so and neither do Alden and ehurtley - I think.

I agree with you that waiting is not required to have a blast with one of these BETA MOBILES. All I'm saying is wait if you can. There will probably be better quality control by the time Merom Core 2 Duo Mobiles ship. Surely you don't think that the quality control on these Rev.A mobiles is up to snuff yet do you? :eek:

Multimedia, it's always hard to understand why you act as Aiden's proxy, but this is irrelevant here anyway.

Just a few additional remarks:

1) The discussion on whether Core Duo are dead end chips has already been answered before, as that assertion is totally nonsensical...NO ONE sells Core 2 right now, and pricing hasn't even been set for computer makers.

Apple would be INSANE to drop the edu season just because some vapor 64-bit chips aren't out yet for its consumer laptops...whoever presumes that such a thing would happen is just crazy or in bad faith.

2) If you have a problem with China, you have a problem with ALL makers, as they all manufacture their machines there...it's cheaper and effective, even though some quality issues might arise with outsourcing routines...as long as Apple has strict service-level agreement enforcement and honors the warranty periods of customers, we are fine.

I YET have to see a single manufacturer that scores better than Apple in both laptop and desktop lines...you know there aren't, so I would kindly ask you to chill out as well.

The problem is that you see some people complaining about their MBP or iMacs as if they were the majority...those who are fine DON'T enter forums to say their machines are fine...and those who have a problem will obviously do.

From what I've read, MBPs are INCREDIBLE machines and the most powerful/beautiful/featured notebooks in the world (apart from 10-kg behemoths that have a slightly better GPU). So your talk about "beta mobiles" is just crap, really. Apple has been extremely quick in fixing internal revisions, and everybody is in the warranty period yet, so cool down ma boy.

3) Your assertion that Core 2 mobiles will carry "better quality" standards is, again, based on nothing...and as said above, I don't know what "quality" problems you are seeing in the production of millions of Apple notebooks...surely some will have problems...not all.

AidenShaw
May 13, 2006, 08:12 AM
Just to dispel some stories...from Apple's G5 developer pages:

"Myth #5:
Myth: My application will have much faster performance if it is a “native” 64-bit application.
Fact: This is true for some other architectures because the number of registers and the width of registers changes between 32-bit and 64-bit mode. However, the PowerPC architecture does not have either of these limitations.
"Also, few if any laptops can accept more than 2 GB of RAM, negating the large physical memory aspect of 64-bit support. Hence, for its intended market (mobile and laptop PCs), the lack of 64-bit support is inconsequential at the moment."
Of course, x64 is exactly that other architecture that is faster in 64-bit !!! :)

Yonah laptops can support 4 GiB of RAM unless limited by the firmware or they have single SO-DIMM slots. Dell/HP/Lenovo/... sell them, Apple hasn't started yet. The first Meroms will have the same limit, since they'll be using the same Napa chipset.

The relevant part of what I said in the other thread is:
In order of increasing speed:

32-bit app, 32-bit OS, 32-bit chip (today, Yonah)
32-bit app/OS, 64-bit chip (June Woodcrest, August Merom - Merom in 32-bit 25% faster than Yonah)
32-bit app, 64-bit OS/chip (XP in June/August, wait for WWDC for news about true 64-bit OSx64)
64-bit app/OS/chip (the future, but few apps today for Windows, none for OSx64)

The problem for the current Yonah MacIntels, is that #1 is the only option. Stuck at 32-bit only.

When Apple drops Yonah and puts Merom in the MacIntels, they'll start at #2, and can move to #3 and #4 in the future.

We're not saying that Yonah is a bad chip per se, only that if you *can* wait, *do* wait.

We'll just sit back and wait for a year from now, when those August Meroms are running 50% faster than the Yonah - and the new true 64-bit Leopard is supporting 64-bit CS3....

We'll see questions in the forum like "...but how well does it run in 32-bit mode on a Yonah?" A year after that, the questions will be "...but is a 32-bit version available for Yonah?"

Merom makes 64-bit useful on a laptop with 512 MiB of RAM, people who think that it's not useful because they don't need 8 GiB in a single program are wearing blinders.

:rolleyes:

Elrond39
May 13, 2006, 08:41 AM
But it's not about all of that: it's a consumer laptop. CONSUMER. Do we [consumers] really (in general) need to be using a 64-bit processor, or a laptop with 4GB of RAM?

For all intents and purposes, and namely the relatively simple demands of consumers, a 32-bit Core Duo Yonah chip will not become magically obsolete once Merom is out. If I am buying a Mac consumer laptop, and the furthest extent to which I am going to tax my system is with GarageBand, tell me that a Yonah is not enough. [note that I am getting either 1.5/2 GB of RAM...likely the former] Really. I dare you. And give me good argumentation.

And as for OSX 10.5 (Leopard); do you honestly think that Yonah-based users won't be able to upgrade? Why would this be the case? Will these current systems last the length of their AppleCare warranty without becoming paperweights? Is it really necessary to continue upgrading OSs every year? Will OSX Tiger or Leopard (assuming it can function on Yonah chips) not last me for the next 3 years?

ImNoSuperMan
May 13, 2006, 08:48 AM
We'll just sit back and wait for a year from now, when those August Meroms are running 50% faster than the Yonah - and the new true 64-bit Leopard is supporting 64-bit CS3....
:rolleyes:

And wait for another 6 months after that and you`ll have a cpu 50% faster than First Meroms you got in your MB this august. So there`s no point in saying that MB with yonah will soon become obsolete in 3 months when Merom arrives. So there is no point in waiting extra 3-6 months only for Meroms which as a matter of fact will become obsolete within in a year when intel launches newer Meroms.

netdog
May 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
And wait for another 6 months after that and you`ll have a cpu 50% faster than First Meroms you got in your MB this august. So there`s no point in saying that MB with yonah will soon become obsolete in 3 months when Merom arrives. So there is no point in waiting extra 3-6 months only for Meroms which as a matter of fact will become obsolete within in a year when intel launches newer Meroms.

No, there will always be faster chips, but the change from x86 to x64 is a shift in architecture. We are at the beginning of the end of 32-bit architecture era as ,once the Merom is introduced in August, all Intels chip lines will have migrated to 64-bit architecture. That is only 3 months away that Intel's transition to 64-bit will be complete.

Moving forward, Leopard and all future Mac OS's will try to leverage what they can from what will then be the current platform. 64-bit Intel architecture should be around for a long time, and will certainly be the standard long before anyone's AppleCare warranty runs out on a MB purchased next week. By that time, the Yonah and 32-bit architecture will be a distant memory, but a Merom, while slow, will support the primary functionality of whatever Intel is making in 3 years, and that of the OS and software designed to work within that architecture.

Speed aside, will a Yonah be useful in 3 years? Sure. Again speed aside, will a Merom be much more useful than a Yonah in three years? Almost certainly.

RollTide
May 13, 2006, 09:36 AM
Multimedia, it's always hard to understand why you act as Aiden's proxy, but this is irrelevant here anyway. Quote BRLawyer

I agree 100%.

This whole thing about 64 bit is a little silly as many others have said. I know for one that I will buy when I am ready. Knowing that most computers that are made now are 32 bit, will companies JUST be making 64 bit applications in 6 months??? no.(Consumer level apps. I mean)

There are so many 32 bit computers out there, and the life of computers have become better over the recent years, development companies would be stupid not to make 32 bit compatible apps. Opinions are appreciated, but many are not needed so if someone wants to buy now, the fact is that these intelMacs are great computers. The price may go up when Merom comes out, or something may go wrong, just buy when you need it.

I for one will be using my MAC for presentations, word processing, internet and a little gaming, so is someone going to beg me to wait for 64bit? :rolleyes:

vespats
May 13, 2006, 09:40 AM
Speed aside, will a Yonah be useful in 3 years? Sure. Again speed aside, will a Merom be much more useful than a Yonah in three years? Almost certainly.

the main question for me is the following:
when will there be only 64bit applications without supporting 32bit prozessors?
when i buy a notebook now i hope for a "desktop replacement" for 1,5-2 years. after that i need to buy a new desktop computer and use the notebook for another 1-2 years.
Will the software still be available?

monkeyandy
May 13, 2006, 09:44 AM
The real world is going to be all 64-bit hardware within 3 months from now.

Whatever mate!

I've have never heard someone spout so much c**p as you. It is not at all. God, if you think about it 6 months ago all we had was g4 chips in Mac laptops. This is such a huge leap forward speed wise. I bet you have not even laid your hands on a CoreDuo Mac yet and had a go.

Sadly the world of computers means that chips will get faster approx every 6 months, you will never be able to buy a computer that is future proof. End of story! :rolleyes:

AidenShaw
May 13, 2006, 09:52 AM
Multimedia, it's always hard to understand why you act as Aiden's proxy, but this is irrelevant here anyway.
Actually, MultiMedia and I are the same person ;) - we just have Multiple IP.address Disorder.

Knowing that most computers that are made now are 32 bit, will companies JUST be making 64 bit applications in 6 months??? no.(Consumer level apps. I mean)
Intel and AMD have been putting 64-bit CPUs out for a long time, all current x86 desktop chips are 64-bit. Even the current Celerons are 64-bit today! AMD is making 64-bit laptop chips, and in a couple of months so will Intel. 32-bit is virtually dead in the server space, except for some low-power blades virtually all x86 systems are x64 now. (By "current" I mean the latest chips - AMD and Intel continue to sell older 32-bit chips, many of their customers need long-lifetime for a chip, not the latest/greatest/fastest.)

I'm not even sure that "most computers that are made now are 32 bit" is true, but I am sure that in a few months it will not be true.

Again, the story is *not* that Yonah is bad - it's just that it will have a relatively short lifetime before its 32-bit restriction starts to hurt (or maybe "annoy" is a better word than "hurt").

If you must have a new MacIntelBook now, buy a Yonah. If you can wait a few months - wait.

I certainly wouldn't buy an MBP now, you know that those are going to be replaced ASAP with Merom.

Will the iBookIntel jump to Merom right away? IMO if Apple are smart it will....

AidenShaw
May 13, 2006, 10:06 AM
The main question for me is the following:

when will there be only 64bit applications without supporting 32bit prozessors?

When i buy a notebook now i hope for a "desktop replacement" for 1,5-2 years. after that i need to buy a new desktop computer and use the notebook for another 1-2 years. Will the software still be available?
Your questions are exactly why we're saying "Wait". Nobody knows what the answer will be.

In 3 or 4 years your Yonah might be the equivalent of where a G3 is today - mostly useful.

Or it might be the equivalent of a 68K or 604 - mostly a museum piece.

There's something much more here than just the architectural shift to 64-bits.

Apple just starting selling Intel systems a few months ago, and within 6 to 9 months of that debut Intel is changing to a radically better architecture.

The real unknown in the equation - how soon will software vendors decide that "since most MacIntels are 64-bit, I'll stop spending money making the 32-bit x86 fat binary, and only have x64 in the fat binaries"?

Of course there will be 32-bit support for Windows for many years, there are hundreds and hundreds of millions of 32-bit PCs in the world.

But, how long before there are more x64 Apples than x86 Apples - it really won't be very long before the "9 months of Yonah" is a small fraction of the Apple Intel installed base.

In August, Apple could be selling Merom MBPs and iMacs (and maybe minis & MBs), the new dual-core Conroe mini-tower, and Woodcrest-based quad PowerMacs. By MWSF, the number of 64-bit systems sold could easily outnumber the count of early 32-bit systems.

The longer Apple waits to make a true 64-bit OSX, the longer a Yonah will be useful. (And the more Apple is at a disadvantage to 64-bit Windows systems.)

besiktas jk
May 13, 2006, 11:37 AM
Macbook on Tuesday? on Thursday? on Friday? We have three possibilities in five days, oh what a weak :D

iAlan
May 13, 2006, 11:52 AM

PPP (Post Pics Please)

I went to the Ginza and Shibuya openings in Tokyo and have me two t-shirts!

As chance would have it I am in the US from Sunday night. Will be in Miami Sunday night - Thursday morning, then fly to Philadelphia and will be their Thurday morn - Thursday morn following week. I do not have an international drivers licence, plus you US folk drive on the wrong side of the road, so hard to justify the cost of a train ticket to New York, plus would have to leave Saturday morning as I have business scheduled on Friday night, so picts will have to do!

Have fun freeny-san

monkeyandy
May 13, 2006, 01:09 PM
Your questions are exactly why we're saying "Wait". Nobody knows what the answer will be.

In 3 or 4 years your Yonah might be the equivalent of where a G3 is today - mostly useful.

Or it might be the equivalent of a 68K or 604 - mostly a museum piece.

No ****** sherlock!

You are obsessed with this aren't you!? Any computer in 3 or 4 years time is going to be old news! An average computer has a life of 3 to 4 years before it needs upgrading.

I guess in 3 or 4 years time the G5 chip will be in the equivalent position of a G3 chip now. Or possibly a museum piece. I guess if they release 64bit Macs this year in 3 or 4 years time they may be slower than the chips released then or maybe an equivalent to a G3 now!

It is a daft argument and is no reason why not to buy a computer. If everyone thought like you no one would own a computer because we would just all still be waiting for the latest thing!

mikea
May 13, 2006, 01:13 PM
http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/05/apple_to_launch.html

Multimedia
May 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
That just reminded me that MBPs are bout 4 months old now.Not The 17" MBP which is where a lot of new quality control problems are cropping up. :)

I agree with Alden above so no need to repeat his excellent analysis in reply to anyone bashing my posts above. All we're saying is if you can wait a few months it will be a much better, faster, cooler and quieter MBP and hopefully MB too. But we're also saying that if you need to pull the trigger before Merom no problem(s) (we hope). QC on these early MBPs seems to be dicey at best. That's #1 in my mind. I can wait for the dust to settle while the sub-contractors in China get THEIR act together.

I'm sure most of the early buyers will have a blast with what they get. I don't mean to poo-poo on anyone's parade here. And I apologize for seeming so negative. I only mean to note caution is warranted right now and vigilance with Apple Customer Service in the case of defects - IE don't let them tell you you are IMAGINING problems when you report the need for a fix, particularly the WHINE NOISE and SCREEN BRIGHTNESS IRREGULARITIES - needs to be exercised to make sure Apple gets it right for you via persistent repair trips if necessary and everyone else in future improved quality production. :)

jonharris200
May 13, 2006, 01:43 PM
The longer this MacBook saga is prolonged, the more empathy I have with doubting Thomas.

ImAlwaysRight
May 13, 2006, 02:09 PM
Macbook on Tuesday? on Thursday? on Friday? We have three possibilities in five days, oh what a weak :D
More days for disappointment! Come Friday afternoon we're going to be a bunch of depressed people. :( :( :( :(

Unless, like Thomas, we actually see the things "the next week." :)

mac-x
May 13, 2006, 02:27 PM
The longer this MacBook saga is prolonged, the more empathy I have with doubting Thomas.

Haha, not related to the above, but this waiting thing again for duo 2, thats crazy talk. When duo2 will be released in august, doesnt mean apple directly shove it up macbooks(pro) @ss, so maybe september, first 64bit...., so maybe alot of testing/problems with that again and you might be lucky to play this baby before 2007.
And when it comes out core 3 duo or whatever will be planned for april and so on. so this already waiting for something new while this new macbook isnt even released is crazy, you will die of rumors overdose..
Then again if you just got a mac for a year and can wait, its cool to wait.

Offtopic, jonharris200 i checked your signature 'site' about the first reactions on ipod (never seen that :) but thats so funny everyone saying WTF is this crappy mp3 player, haha and look at them now, ipodgeeks :p

mikea
May 13, 2006, 02:32 PM
All we're saying is if you can wait a few months it will be a much better, faster, cooler and quieter MBP and hopefully MB too. But we're also saying that if you need to pull the trigger before Merom no problem(s) (we hope). QC on these early MBPs seems to be dicey at best. That's #1 in my mind. I can wait for the dust to settle while the sub-contractors in China get THEIR act together.

:)

HUH?
Wait? I was ready to buy a mac in September (when I had money) than my crazy Mac Loving friend convinced me to wait for the Intel based machines (in my case a new version of the ibook)....SO I did, and here I am..waiting on the waiting, and you recomend waiting longer....At some point you have to make the plunge!!! and I'm ready to put on my trunks and hit the waves....and catch me a MacBook...IF they ever bring it out...and unfortunately I suspect it's not happening this week at the opening...no way.

nagromme
May 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

The best news would be:

Very good thinking. Because:

* No other computer maker is selling Yonah/Core laptops--they are all waiting for Merom/Core 2.

* Nobody needs a laptop now. Everyone can wait. There is no current demand for a MacBook.

* Core being much faster than G4 NOW does not matter. A little more speed later matters, but a lot more speed now does not.

* 64-bit computing is vital to consumers of low-end laptops.

* A computer you buy today stops working when a new model comes along. Obsolete!

* When Merom comes out, there will be no more new models. You will keep it forever and no faster Meroms will follow.

I sure hope Apple doesn't try to "drain our checkbooks" with such poor technology as Yonah/Intel Core... even though that's the top laptop chip available ;)

If you must have a new MacIntelBook now, buy a Yonah. If you can wait a few months - wait.
Now THAT version makes more sense :)

ImNoSuperMan
May 13, 2006, 02:50 PM
All we're saying is if you can wait a few months it will be a much better, faster, cooler and quieter MBP and hopefully MB too.

Thats the big deal. I m sure Apple might put Merom in MBP as soon as they get their hands on it. But as far as MB getting Meroms this august.... We can only hope. Just like we hope that MB will have a CoreDuo,Dedicated GPU,Superdrive and still cost 1199 for that config.:eek: .

Thats not gonna be possible. MB wont be upgraded to Merom in this year. Take my word for it:cool: . If we`ll ever see Meroms in MB, it wont be sooner than MWSF2007. So waiting for Meroms in MB means waiting till Jan(at the very least). That according to my calculation is way more than 3-4 months.9 months to be exact. Also add to that the time people are already waiting for MB.

We all know there`ll be price cut on intel CPU within a month. Yonah will cost way less than it does now. And compared to Merom it will be even more cost efficient. So we`ll be seeing Yonah in MB for some time now. Thats simple Business Sense. Why put the most expensive peripherals in a home consumer product?

G4 to Core duo is the big jump. Core duo to Core 2 Duo is just a small step in comparison. And given the fact that people are already waiting for months now, I dont think there should be any reason to stop from ordering the MB the day it is announced.

And yes I really do want a Bright Fire Red. Or atleast a Black.

miyamoto
May 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
Out of curiousity, my guess is that with the new macbook you are probably not going to be able to swap out yonah for merom if you purchase the first series.

ImNoSuperMan
May 13, 2006, 02:59 PM
Thats what I`d like to get my hands on. Except for may be that black Trackpad may be.
It`ll be so differnt than anything else(dont compare Acer Ferrari. That looks fugly). I love colors. Even a complete black one will be better than white.

http://techdigestuk.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/macbookferrari_1.jpg

Multimedia
May 13, 2006, 03:15 PM
Thats the big deal. I m sure Apple might put Merom in MBP as soon as they get their hands on it. But as far as MB getting Meroms this august.... We can only hope. Just like we hope that MB will have a CoreDuo,Dedicated GPU,Superdrive and still cost 1199 for that config.:eek: .

Thats not gonna be possible. MB wont be upgraded to Merom in this year. Take my word for it:cool: . If we`ll ever see Meroms in MB, it wont be sooner than MWSF2007. So waiting for Meroms in MB means waiting till Jan(at the very least). That according to my calculation is way more than 3-4 months.9 months to be exact. Also add to that the time people are already waiting for MB.

We all know there`ll be price cut on intel CPU within a month. Yonah will cost way less than it does now. And compared to Merom it will be even more cost efficient. So we`ll be seeing Yonah in MB for some time now. Thats simple Business Sense. Why put the most expensive peripherals in a home consumer product?

G4 to Core duo is the big jump. Core duo to Core 2 Duo is just a small step in comparison. And given the fact that people are already waiting for months now, I dont think there should be any reason to stop from ordering the MB the day it is announced.

And yes I really do want a Bright Fire Red. Or atleast a Black.BUT MacBook May Go Merom Right Away As Well because it will run cooler in that little 13" case. They will just be the slow ones - slower than the MacBook Pros which will likely be 2GHz minimum. I don't see the need to keep selling Yonahs beyond August-September other than a supply problem.

I'm thinking Steve wants to declare an all 64-bit line at the WWDC to go along with his Leopard presentation. But maybe that speech will be postponed until MWSF in January.

But I see your point and agree it's not a deal breaker for most. Alden and I are SOTA fanatics and future thinkers. (speaking for Alden - sorry)

ImNoSuperMan
May 13, 2006, 04:18 PM
Actually, MultiMedia and I are the same person ;) - we just have Multiple IP.address Disorder.

Ha HA. That did make me laugh.

Legacy
May 13, 2006, 05:56 PM
BUT MacBook May Go Merom Right Away As Well because it will run cooler in that little 13" case. They will just be the slow ones - slower than the MacBook Pros which will likely be 2GHz minimum. I don't see the need to keep selling Yonahs beyond August-September other than a supply problem.

I'm thinking Steve wants to declare an all 64-bit line at the WWDC to go along with his Leopard presentation. But maybe that speech will be postponed until MWSF in January.

But I see your point and agree it's not a deal breaker for most. Alden and I are SOTA fanatics and future thinkers. (speaking for Alden - sorry)

I really doubt it...if anything the roadmap for the Intel transition in August will mean:

MacBook 13.3":

1.66CD/512MB/40GB/GMA950/Combo/iSight+FR/ $999,
1.66CD/512MB/60GB/X1400 128MB/Super/iSight+FR $1299
1.83CD/512MB/80GB/X1400 128MB/Super/iSight+FR $1499 (August Intro.)

MacBook Pro (August Update):

2.0C2D/1GB/80GB/X1600 128MB/Super/iSight+FR $1999
2.16C2D/1GB/100GB/X1800 256MB/Super/iSight+FR $2499
2.33C2D/1GB/120GB/X1800 256MB/Super/iSight+FR $2799

MacRumorUser
May 13, 2006, 06:31 PM

You'll never see the X1800 in the macbookpro. Its bad enough they underclock an x1600 to keep power consumption down, let alone a more power hungry X1800....

Legacy
May 13, 2006, 07:30 PM
You'll never see the X1800 in the macbookpro. Its bad enough they underclock an x1600 to keep power consumption down, let alone a more power hungry X1800....

But the Meroms will be 20% more efficient with power, so that gives room for at least a fully clocked X1600 or underclocked X1800 right?

Chundles
May 13, 2006, 07:37 PM
But the Meroms will be 20% more efficient with power, so that gives room for at least a fully clocked X1600 or underclocked X1800 right?

No, Merom is 20% faster but at the same power.

MrCrowbar
May 13, 2006, 08:13 PM

Errr... the X1600 is way underclocked in the iMacs too. And I don't believe saving a few watts on a desktop computer is a good argument to do so. Oh well, nevermind. It's fast enough for now, just needs overclocking when running games on XP ;)

Multimedia
May 13, 2006, 08:25 PM
I really doubt it...if anything the roadmap for the Intel transition in August will mean:

MacBook 13.3":

1.83CD/512MB/80GB/X1400 128MB/Super/iSight+FR $1499 (August Intro.)So why wouldn't the above be C2D after the supply limitation of the new C2D processors is more than demand? I don't understand the logic. I don't think the price of the slower C2D processors is going to be significantly higher than the price of the old CDs is it? :confused:

I even wonder how long after the Merom launch Intel will continue to even make and sell CD processors. Why would they waste manufacturing capacity continuing to make an obsolete processor that's socket and mobo compatible with Yonah's? And as Alden says below in Post #178 and I have already posted numerous times, it would be best for everyone if Steve uses WWDC to announce an all 64-bit line thereafter in conjunction with a highly 64-bit capable Leopard introduction with a ballpark shipping date - I'm thinking January 2007 but it's only a guess based on where we are now and the frequency of updates throughout the life of Tiger.

It's my understanding that Tiger has laid the foundation for Leopard so the evolution to 10.5 is already in place such that Steve can introduce it in August and deliver it rapidly at MWSF in January. But this is merely an "educated guess" type of rumor I am reinforcing and nothing based on any sort of real inside info. Someone care to support or correct me on this point please?MacBook Pro (August Updates):

15" 2.0C2D/1GB/80GB/X1600 128MB/Super/iSight+FR $1999
15" 2.16C2D/1GB/100GB/X1800 256MB/Super/iSight+FR $2499
17" 2.33C2D/1GB/120GB/X1800 256MB/Super/iSight+FR $2799Perhaps. But why not just bring the x1600 up to full speed instead of putting in a more power hungry x1800? :confused:

SC68Cal
May 13, 2006, 08:33 PM
http://techdigestuk.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/macbookferrari_1.jpg

Reminds me of the old TiBook for some reason, with Red.

AidenShaw
May 13, 2006, 10:00 PM

MacBook 13.3":

You may very well be right - on the CPU front. (no comment on the GPU/RAM/disk...)

But - you should hope that you are wrong.

The best thing for the Apple platform would be for The Steve® to say at WWDC'06 that "from today on, all MacIntels are 64-bit".

Kill Yonah ASAP. Apple should have waited for Merom and introduced Mac OSX on Intel as 64-bit only.

Legacy
May 13, 2006, 11:17 PM
You may very well be right - on the CPU front. (no comment on the GPU/RAM/disk...)

The best thing for the Apple platform would be for The Steve® to say at WWDC'06 that "from today on, all MacIntels are 64-bit".

Kill Yonah ASAP. Apple should have waited for Merom and introduced Mac OSX on Intel as 64-bit only.

I agree, but the reality is Apple prefer short term glory to long term progress - they want the intel transition to be over as soon as possible and that means adopting the 'newest' intel technology - the Yonah chip.

Secondly, in terms of differentiation and price the Yonah will probably be cheaper to adopt at a respectable speed in the MacBook models which should be at competitive prices v.s the MacBook Pro which not many people can afford. Esp in the UK they charge £1500 for the entry model - $2700!!, so price is very important:o

Multimedia
May 13, 2006, 11:46 PM

Kill Yonah ASAP. Apple should have waited for Merom and introduced Mac OSX on Intel as 64-bit only.I agree, but the reality is Apple prefer short term glory to long term progress - they want the intel transition to be over as soon as possible and that means adopting the 'newest' intel technology - the Yonah chip.Fine. But what makes you think this isn't just Apple's public beta learning curve and that they won't switch to Merom ASAP? :confused: Secondly, in terms of differentiation and price the Yonah will probably be cheaper to adopt at a respectable speed in the MacBook models which should be at competitive prices v.s the MacBook Pro which not many people can afford. Esp in the UK they charge £1500 for the entry model - $2700!!, so price is very important:oOK. So why do you think Merom Processors will cost significantly more than Yonah processors once the initial Merom runs are out the door? I would think that Intel is going to make it financially advantageous to all their customers to drop Yonah like a hot potato as soon as they can. Am I off base to believe that Intel doesn't want to keep making Yonah processors for any longer than it takes to ramp up Merom production full bore? :confused:

Georgeo
May 13, 2006, 11:49 PM
The only real answer is "Wait and see" :eek:
Hi there,
What are u waiting for? I got my macbook already wink wink.http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/laptops/PowerBook_main.jpg

Georgeo
May 13, 2006, 11:51 PM
Hi there,
What are u waiting for? I got my macbook already wink wink.http://www.cnet.co.uk/i/c/blg/cat/laptops/PowerBook_main.jpg

I love it

vccavtech
May 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
HAHA, when the macbooks come out, if that's what they are going to be called, what are we going to do. we spend most of our days waiting for a computer that will be out dated in 4 years. isn't that sad. I know it's not just another computer, but it technically is. that doesn't make since to you but it does to me. people talked and talked about the dual usb ibooks, you know the first ones with a g3 500 mhz. i just sold mine by the way. we'll be doing the same thing in 4 years.

Shamus
May 14, 2006, 01:29 AM
Personally, I am hoping for some sort of upgrade to the Nano line. Maybe 6GB, and I would be happy :). And for the sake of the people who have been itching for a Macbook, I hope that is released to! :)

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 01:32 AM
HAHA, when the macbooks come out, if that's what they are going to be called, what are we going to do. we spend most of our days waiting for a computer that will be out dated in 4 years. isn't that sad. I know it's not just another computer, but it technically is. that doesn't make since to you but it does to me. people talked and talked about the dual usb ibooks, you know the first ones with a g3 500 mhz. i just sold mine by the way. we'll be doing the same thing in 4 years.Oh I wish you were right. But this time we have an exception to the rule. MacBooks May Be Outdated In 3 Months Rather Than The Usual 3 Years thanks to the imminent 64-bit Merom release in August. All the "new" MacIntels are based on the last of the 32-bit processors. It's really a sad situation for those of us who see the long term big picture. :(

I know we're getting razzed by those of you who think they are "fast enough" etc. We don't doubt they are fast and cool - well not really cool - and fun and neat. We're thinking about the long term viability of 32-bit processing in the face of a predominantly 64-bit friendly OS next year. While it's nothing to have a cow over, we don't see the point of investing a lot of money in this processor as the opening volly into the Intel space when it will be replaced by a completely new 64-bit processor family beginning in little more than two weeks (June) and completing deployment by September. That's all. :(

Core 3 Duo is in 2008
Core 4 Duo is in 2010

Why buy Core 1 Duo when Core 2 Duo is so close at hand? :confused: . Cooler, Faster, Quieter Mobile Processors in 3 months. Is that really a very long time to wait?

This is how we VOTE on what the MARKET WANTS not what Apple wants to FOIST on the Market. WE ARE THE MARKET. WE CAN VOTE by NOT BUYING obsolete technology now. This is what the debate here is all about.

Now if you need something right away, no problem. Core Duo is fine for the short term. It just appears to me to be a product line family that will have a very short life span and that models containing it will depreciate in value sooner than past and future models have and will. Is that fair? I really don't want to piss anyone off here. I am trying to be gentle. ;) . It's a HISTORICAL BIG PICTURE point of view.

macjay
May 14, 2006, 01:49 AM

MacBook 13.3":

No way there is overlap between the MB and MBP on VRAM-- the MB's has to be less (likely 64mb). Also HD overlap very unlikely.

netdog
May 14, 2006, 03:14 AM
Oh I wish you were right. But this time we have an exception to the rule. MacBooks May Be Outdated In 3 Months Rather Than The Usual 3 Years thanks to the imminent 64-bit Merom release in August. All the "new" MacIntels are based on the last of the 32-bit processors. It's really a sad situation for those of us who see the long term big picture. :(

You know Multi, I agree with you. The thing I find odd is that you were hooting for the MBP 17" just a couple of weeks ago. Did you buy one, or were you just excited about it. An MB with a Yonah will have an early sell-by date, but woe to anyone who has shelled out $2799+AppleCare+RAM, or $3448.00 for a reasonably configured MBP 17" with a Yonah.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 03:28 AM
You know Multi, I agree with you. The thing I find odd is that you were hooting for the MBP 17" just a couple of weeks ago. Did you buy one, or were you just excited about it. An MB with a Yonah will have an early sell-by date, but woe to anyone who has shelled out $2799+AppleCare+RAM, or $3448.00 for a reasonably configured MBP 17" with a Yonah.Exactly. No, I didn't buy one because after my initial enthusiasm that it had retained FW800, I came to my senses about how soon Merom based models will ship thanks to Alden Shaw's & ehurtley's excellent analysis in the Core 2 Duo thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=199080&page=9). :)

Plus all these problems with noise, heat and uneven screen brightness and flicker have soured me on this current version anyway. I've become convinced Apple is using consumers as their beta site for all the Pre-Merom systems in preparation for a much better 64-bit Woodcrest, Conroe & Merom deployment by Summer's end. :( . I hope.

This forum is a great place to keep on top of what's happening out there. I've been hanging out here a lot lately. Very helpful and informative community here. Love you all. Quite the soap opera isn't it?

netdog
May 14, 2006, 03:29 AM
I've become convinced Apple is using consumers as their beta site for all the Pre-Merom systems in preparation for a much better 64-bit Woodcrest, Conroe & Merom deployment by Summer's end. :(

Agreed

jimN
May 14, 2006, 04:31 AM
What a bunch of conspracy theorists. Beta program my arse. There are evidently problems with the currrent MBPs (although forums seem to allow these to be blown out of proportion) but many of these are construction and component problems - regardless of the chipset these will persist.

Yes, the yonah chip will be old technology but it will be far from unusable. Your yonah laptop won't technically be out-of-date until Leopard is released. This will happen towards the end of the year but if experience with Tiger serves then the first really stable build will take a few more months to appear - i seem to recall Apple really pushing 10.4.2 (or was it .3). Regardless your computer won't top working nor will programs you have run any slower than they did the day before a merom replacement was released.

As it stands I don't think we'll see Merom's running cooler than Yonah, although I suppose that at exactly the same speed (not clock speed but actually task completing speed) they might manage this. They are only replacing top end yonah chips so at present they would be a more expensive option. Plus, given the g4 is still widely used and is a 32bit chip, apple will need to ensure that 32bit support persists for years to come. Just because console owners get sold on the mythology of the extra 'bits' we shouldn't get too caught up with numbers that will likely have very little relevance to teh average user.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 05:27 AM
What a bunch of conspracy theorists. Beta program my arse. There are evidently problems with the currrent MBPs (although forums seem to allow these to be blown out of proportion) but many of these are construction and component problems - regardless of the chipset these will persist.Well I for one hope you are wrong about that or we'll never advance to one. This is not about asserting any conscious conspiracy by Apple. Just a comment on the reality that looks similar to a conspiracy due to a lot of bugs in Rev A models. 15" is up to the 4th motherboard in less than 4 months for example. Seems like a pretty beta-like environ to me.Yes, the yonah chip will be old technology but it will be far from unusable. Your yonah laptop won't technically be out-of-date until Leopard is released. This will happen towards the end of the year but if experience with Tiger serves then the first really stable build will take a few more months to appear - i seem to recall Apple really pushing 10.4.2 (or was it .3). Regardless your computer won't top working nor will programs you have run any slower than they did the day before a merom replacement was released.

As it stands I don't think we'll see Merom's running cooler than Yonah, although I suppose that at exactly the same speed (not clock speed but actually task completing speed) they might manage this. They are only replacing top end yonah chips so at present they would be a more expensive option. Plus, given the g4 is still widely used and is a 32bit chip, apple will need to ensure that 32bit support persists for years to come. Just because console owners get sold on the mythology of the extra 'bits' we shouldn't get too caught up with numbers that will likely have very little relevance to the average user.Merom will replace the entire Yonah line including 1.66 GHz - not only top speeds. Cooler should happen no matter what speed. Please let's not keep confusing a doomsday "32-bit computing is dead" type of position with what some of us are saying. Nobody is saying it's unusable. We're just talking about voting with your dollars for 64-bit processors by waiting a very few more months. If you can't wait then don't. No biggie. :D

aswitcher
May 14, 2006, 05:56 AM
I think Apple wanted to switch to Intel as fast as possible, and rather than wait for second half 06 they entered the market 6 months early for good business reasons. They are now firmly targeting disgruntled XP users in the window before Vista comes to save the day (07').

For Apple 06 is the year of the switcher.

But I agree by pulling their time lines forward they are leaving the early intel mac adopters with hardware that will be quickly trumped by 64 bit machines with faster, cooler and cheaper bits in the second half of this year.

I really hope they put the new chips in the whole line as soon as they can - and I cant see why they wouldn't, so I expect everything with intel to date will get a new chip.

I also wonder if this earlier than expected intel shift means that new form factor iMacs, just minor tweaks perhaps, are in the wind since I read that the case is not so user friendly to open as it used to be.

BlizzardBomb
May 14, 2006, 06:16 AM
This thread is hurting my head.

Yonah is obsolete the second Merom comes out! Yes... just like the Quad-G5 will be when it gets replaced. But hold on, then just half a year after Merom, Merom would be obsolete! Ok, let's wait until the end of time until computers don't even need a processor, and they run off brain power :D

And we're talking about releasing a consumer machine. Do you think the average consumer is going to go around asking if you have a 64-bit processor? Do you think the average consumer who needs to word process a document is going to be thrilled about having 20% more power than Yonah?

aswitcher
May 14, 2006, 07:28 AM

SNIP

And we're talking about releasing a consumer machine. Do you think the average consumer is going to go around asking if you have a 64-bit processor? Do you think the average consumer who needs to word process a document is going to be thrilled about having 20% more power than Yonah?

First up I think the average user is a myth because in reality the average user 3 years ago wasn't likely to be doing anything like the level of photo or video manipulation they can these days, and the same will apply for 3 years from now with these and other like multimedia apps. And lets not even discuss games or HDTV ;)

Second if you plan to keep a machine 3-5 years then you would be better off with 64 bit so your well placed for any software optimised for it during this time - which MAC OSX will be sometime in this period.

I am not saying its crap to have a 32 bit machine (not like other posters are saying/being accused of), I am saying I think Apple hurried them into the market and it wont be until later this year that intel macs will get the longer legs that will better carry them over the years. Thats why I am waiting.

inmotion
May 14, 2006, 07:32 AM
good one blizzardbomb. i for one completly agree with you.
consumers needing 4 gigs of ram? now i think thats money down the drain.
furthermore, look at xp 64 bits... not everyone jumped on the boat did they?
the fact is that few programs out there are made for 64 bits and its not in 4-5 years that every program in the market will be 64 bits.
if your working for some kind of company which requires you to process large amount of data (meaning terabytes) this wont benefit you
programs made for 64 bits will probably only come out in 2007-2008 and consumers wont see a need to actually "switch" to 64 bits until then.
sure, wait and buy a merom now if you want, that is if you plan on keeping a laptop (and i mean working with it everyday) for the next 5 years at least while awaiting the programs to all migrate unto 64 bits...

bottom line is consumers really dont need this, at least not yet, yonah is smoking fast and for someone who emails, surfs, chats, does word processing.... it should be perfectly alright (-> those are the ones targeted for the MB..... we're not talking about server people right :p ? )

if you plan on sitting out the MB because you want merom then the MB is simply not for you... wait for the next update of the Powermac... maybe then you'll be satisfied... and again, thats a maybe

alphace
May 14, 2006, 07:40 AM
64 bit on intel consumer cpus (so not itanium who is real 64 bit) is based amd's technology AMD64, and it's not true 64 bit, it uses 64 bit on memory addresses not on instructions so you won't get great improvement in performance.
I think core duo is good but I don't really care about 32 or 64 bit when u won't get a real boost in performance through the architecture.

I'll get a mb cause I need a good laptop , cause they are durable and the price of used ones doesn't falls down like pc notebooks.

disconap
May 14, 2006, 08:07 AM
My guess is Jobs will be apologizing for the recent security update.

Mersen
May 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
What a bunch of conspracy theorists. Beta program my arse. There are evidently problems with the currrent MBPs (although forums seem to allow these to be blown out of proportion) but many of these are construction and component problems - regardless of the chipset these will persist.

Yes, the yonah chip will be old technology but it will be far from unusable. Your yonah laptop won't technically be out-of-date until Leopard is released. This will happen towards the end of the year but if experience with Tiger serves then the first really stable build will take a few more months to appear - i seem to recall Apple really pushing 10.4.2 (or was it .3). Regardless your computer won't top working nor will programs you have run any slower than they did the day before a merom replacement was released.

As it stands I don't think we'll see Merom's running cooler than Yonah, although I suppose that at exactly the same speed (not clock speed but actually task completing speed) they might manage this. They are only replacing top end yonah chips so at present they would be a more expensive option. Plus, given the g4 is still widely used and is a 32bit chip, apple will need to ensure that 32bit support persists for years to come. Just because console owners get sold on the mythology of the extra 'bits' we shouldn't get too caught up with numbers that will likely have very little relevance to teh average user.

Ughh more things to worry about... I cant imagine that I will ever truly NEED 64 bits... I am the type that will just be doing the surfing, emailing, word docs, playing the occasional game, simple video editing and photo storage. Would I ever utilize the 64bits even if I had it?

My biggest concern, is that if I didnt wait till the 64bit was in the Macbook, would I not be able to purchase a Leopard upgrade when it comes out in ?January? Does this mean that all existing Macs will not be able to change from Tiger to Leopard??

If the Memron is due in August when do you really think it will be placed in the Macbook?

peharri
May 14, 2006, 08:17 AM
But I agree by pulling their time lines forward they are leaving the early intel mac adopters with hardware that will be quickly trumped by 64 bit machines with faster, cooler and cheaper bits in the second half of this year.

There will always be a better, newer, more impressive chip just around the corner. The fact is that when Apple release the Core Duo based machines, the specs were impressive. The iMac Intel might have been just as fast as it would have been had it been upgraded to the dual-core G5 as the PowerMacs were, but nonetheless, it was impressive, and the machines were impressive compared to non-Macintosh PCs.

This whole "Apple should have waited until v2 came out" stuff strikes me as silly. And I don't think they need to wait for Core 2 Duos for the MacBook either. The architecture is still fine, and while one can make legitijmate complaints that over-all, Apple's laptops have too high an entry-cost in a market where laptops start at $500, Apple releasing a Core Duo based MacBook at $1,100 would still represent it releasing a machine that's value for money. At that price, you'll be getting a Pentium M or even a Celeron M from other manufacturers, that's a generation behind.

As far as the "But all 32 bit Macs will be obsolete within three years" thing goes, I call BS. First of all, if Apple releases a 32-bit MB, then we can expect them to continue to sell 32 bit Intel machines for the next year or so. The Mac mini isn't going to go 64 bit when other Macs aren't 64 bit, so it strikes me that the majority of Apple's sales this year will be of 32 bit systems, even assuming the MBP and iMac go 64 bit tomorrow.

Second, Apple developers are going to be doing the universal binary thing for at least three years. More Macs will most likely be PowerPC than Intel for that long, if not longer. It's not terribly likely, in my view, that a developer will want to put processor-specific isms into a program intended to be a UB. It's awkward. It's easier to just write the whole damned thing in C/C++/Objective C and let XCode take care of everything. You might see a handful of applications "optimized for 64 bit" (in the same way as some were optimized for the G4), but they'll generally work on the 32 bit systems as developers are unlikely to want to limit themselves to a single processor model during this three year time span, and so, yes, they are going to have a core C program with "replaceable" components, rather than programs where significant parts are written in assembler and only assembler.

The net effect of the Intel switch is to make processorisms a non-issue for many years to come. With no compelling reason to use 64 bit features other than performance, and with more than half your market disappearing the moment your program becomes tied to one single processor architecture, I think it's improbable we'll see the kinds of doomsday scenarios some here are painting. In the mean time, a MacBook with a Core (1) Duo isn't going to be "obsolete" in three months. It's going to start to get creaky, and in need of replacement, in three years like everything else. Its performance will be impressive compared to many similarly priced computers. It'll run everything released in the next three years that its fast enough to run. It's going to be ok. You might have difficulty running some of the more graphics intensive games, but that'll be because of GPU not CPU, and given its a laptop, the GPU tradeoff may work in your battery-saving favour.

AidenShaw
May 14, 2006, 08:19 AM
64 bit on intel consumer cpus (so not itanium who is real 64 bit) is based amd's technology AMD64, and it's not true 64 bit, it uses 64 bit on memory addresses not on instructions so you won't get great improvement in performance.

I think core duo is good but I don't really care about 32 or 64 bit when u won't get a real boost in performance through the architecture.

http://www.barefeats.com/image06/dc-pan.gif http://www.barefeats.com/dualcore.html
"64/64" means 64-bit OS/64-bit application, "64/32" 64-bit OS/32-bit application...

"2. Running Windows 64 and 64 bit software will be like having a nitrous oxide injection system under the "hood" of your PC. We saw an 8% to 37% gain over "32/32" and "64/32", depending on what application we ran."

That looks like a real boost in performance to me :D

And, BTW, PowerPC/SPARC/PA-RISC/Alpha all use 32-bit length instructions, IA64 uses 41-bit instructions. Instruction length is not relevant for a discussion of "true 64-bit" - your claim that x64 is not 64-bit because it only handles 64-bit addresses and data is not true.

pjkelnhofer
May 14, 2006, 08:37 AM
I think I have a problem with the word obsolete. Plenty of people are still going to have and be using 32-bit processors for years to come.

Do you really think that with all the 32-bit processors out there that Leopard is going to be optimized for 64-bit processors that have been out for half a year?!? (Assuming 10.5 comes out in Jan '07). Apple is going to have to support G5's for several more years and you think they are going to phase out the 32-bit Intels right away? People are still buying G4 iBooks now that is an "obsolete" chip (or at least it should be).

Finally, what are the real world difference we will see going from 32-bit computing to 64-bit both short term and long term. Here (http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/64-bits/index.x?pg=1) is a pretty good article on that.

The answer is that it depends on what you do and what programs you run. Long term 64-bit is the future, I don't think anyone is arguing that. However, by the time there is enough true 64-bit stuff out there to make a difference to the average consumer, a laptop bought now will be out-dated anyhow. Graphics, ports, processor speed, etc. will all have been surpassed in the few years it will take for that to happen. This is why, the PowerMac which is Apple only truly upgradable system is probably the only one that has to wait for the Merom to come out.

There will be a day when people with the Intel 32-bit processors cannot buy new software or run the latest OS. Of course, first those with G4s, then G5s will be out of luck. It will take time. The existence of 64-bit processors doesn't mean that all 32-bit computers should be thrown out the window and all 32-bit applications will cease to exist.

As some one who bought a used IIx just before the first PowerPC's started coming out (I wasn't in tune with what was next in the computing world, I just need something to run Quark Xpress and Illustrator on), I can speak to having an "obsolete" computer. But, it did what I needed it to do and I managed to use it for five years until I got a firewire iMac. So to say that a MacBook (theorectically speaking) that came out today is somehow useless in three months it is simply not true.

pjkelnhofer
May 14, 2006, 08:52 AM
Ughh more things to worry about... I cant imagine that I will ever truly NEED 64 bits... I am the type that will just be doing the surfing, emailing, word docs, playing the occasional game, simple video editing and photo storage. Would I ever utilize the 64bits even if I had it?
When software is optimized for 64-bits you will see a performance difference. Some day (in the distant future) applications will only be released in 64-bits (try finding something written for 16-bits today). However, whether a computer bought today would live to see that is questionable.

My biggest concern, is that if I didnt wait till the 64bit was in the Macbook, would I not be able to purchase a Leopard upgrade when it comes out in ?January? Does this mean that all existing Macs will not be able to change from Tiger to Leopard??
This is the kind of wrong conclusion that people are going to draw from the "the MacBook will be obsolete before it is even released" posts that are filling this thread. Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) will not only support 32-bit Intel processors, but Apple has stated that it will support PowerPC chips (it will defintely support G4s and G5s). So to imply that it wouldn't support a Core Duo is just ridiculous.

Tiger has 64-bit capability (which can only be used on the G5 since is the only 64-bit chip in a Mac). Leopard will have more, but it will not run only on 64-bit chips, in fact, most likely, it will not even be optimized for 64-bit chips. There just will not be enough of them out there by January to make it worth it. Apple could go the Windows route and release a seperate 64-bit version of Leopard, but I doubt it. Multiple versions of their OS (other than the server version) just is not Apple's style.

If the Memron is due in August when do you really think it will be placed in the Macbook?
I would suspect it will probably be going into the MacBook Pro and that will be one of the differences between the two lines.

AidenShaw
May 14, 2006, 08:53 AM
I think I have a problem with the word obsolete. Plenty of people are still going to have and be using 32-bit processors for years to come.

Do you really think that with all the 32-bit processors out there that Leopard is going to be optimized for 64-bit processors that have been out for half a year?!?.
I agree with you on the Windows side - there are lots of Intel 32-bit processors out there, and it would be crazy for any company to drop support for them (except perhaps for high-end CAD or other apps that really need 64-bit memory addressing).

The story on the MacIntel side, however, is very different.

When 10.5 is released, it is possible that there will be more 64-bit MacIntels around that 32-bit ones. (Picture PowerMacIntels in June, the new dual-core Conroe mini-tower in July, and Merom in MBP and iMac in August.)

It is in Apple's best long-term interest to move to an all 64-bit environment as soon as possible. Kind of hard on the people who bought Yonah's, but better for software houses and Apple.

pjkelnhofer
May 14, 2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with you on the Windows side - there are lots of Intel 32-bit processors out there, and it would be crazy for any company to drop support for them (except perhaps for high-end CAD or other apps that really need 64-bit memory addressing).

The story on the MacIntel side, however, is very different.

When 10.5 is released, it is possible that there will be more 64-bit MacIntels around that 32-bit ones. (Picture PowerMacIntels in June, the new dual-core Conroe mini-tower in July, and Merom in MBP and iMac in August.)

It is in Apple's best long-term interest to move to an all 64-bit environment as soon as possible. Kind of hard on the people who bought Yonah's, but better for software houses and Apple.

I think we are disagree on what we mean by around. Sure by the time that Tiger comes out the entire Mac line may be using Merom based chips, but Apple and the software manufactures have an interest in designing software not only for the latest, greatest and fastest computers that are on sale today, but for all the computers that are already sitting in people homes and offices.

Do you think that after saying they will support the G5's until 2009 that they are going to turn their back on the first adopters of the MacIntels just to get to 64-bit as fast as possible?

If you piss off your user base to that degree, you are going to lose a lot more than you gain.

mikea
May 14, 2006, 09:14 AM
Oh I wish you were right. But this time we have an exception to the rule. MacBooks May Be Outdated In 3 Months Rather Than The Usual 3 Years thanks to the imminent 64-bit Merom release in August. All the "new" MacIntels are based on the last of the 32-bit processors. It's really a sad situation for those of us who see the long term big picture. :(

I know we're getting razzed by those of you who think they are "fast enough" etc. We don't doubt they are fast and cool - well not really cool - and fun and neat. We're thinking about the long term viability of 32-bit processing in the face of a predominantly 64-bit friendly OS next year. While it's nothing to have a cow over, we don't see the point of investing a lot of money in this processor as the opening volly into the Intel space when it will be replaced by a completely new 64-bit processor family beginning in little more than two weeks (June) and completing deployment by September. That's all. :(

Core 3 Duo is in 2008
Core 4 Duo is in 2010

Why buy Core 1 Duo when Core 2 Duo is so close at hand? :confused: . Cooler, Faster, Quieter Mobile Processors in 3 months. Is that really a very long time to wait?

This is how we VOTE on what the MARKET WANTS not what Apple wants to FOIST on the Market. WE ARE THE MARKET. WE CAN VOTE by NOT BUYING obsolete technology now. This is what the debate here is all about.

Now if you need something right away, no problem. Core Duo is fine for the short term. It just appears to me to be a product line family that will have a very short life span and that models containing it will depreciate in value sooner than past and future models have and will. Is that fair? I really don't want to piss anyone off here. I am trying to be gentle. ;) . It's a HISTORICAL BIG PICTURE point of view.

Hey,
A few weeks ago, i was ready to buy something other than the MacBook and you were the one who told me to hold on because it was going to be such a great LapTop at a great price....So what gives. We Live in a ever Changing world..So what would your advice be to someone who really does need a laptop in the next few weeks before I hit the road for 3 months. I really want to make a switch to Mac..It will be My first Laptop, I am a travelling musician and I want to use it for webbuilding, music, some light video work and ofcourse business on line etc....in my down time I want to learn OS and use the tools of ilife.. SO what should I do???

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 09:17 AM

Well I do remember owning a Pentium II 450Mhz. And then my cousin got a P-III 500 mhz a couple of months later and was all the very much excited bout it. But neither me nor him could see any difference in general performance,games etc. And a few years later(bout3years) both the systems were as much unusable as the other one. No real difference between them.

Now I know yonah and merom might not be exactly comparable to PII and PIII(Jump from 32 to 64 bit). But I really doubt that at the same frequency we`ll see a substantial difference in the system. I dont think a 1.67Core2Duo will be much more usable than 1.67CoreDuo. Both the systems will be unbearable after 3 years. I mean in 2009 we might be having processors which will be 4-5 times faster than the current ones. It wont really matter if you have a 1.67CD or a 1.67C2D. Both of them will be unable to run the latest games and applications.

If we`d wait one more year then we might be be seeing a some real difference in the latest 2.7Ghz C2D and the current 1.67CD. But for now I dont think there`ll be that much of difference in CD n C2D

And in any case as I`ve already stated, there`s no way apple will be putting Meroms in MB before MWSF. Or it might be possible that meroms in MB will be offered only when MB ships with Leopard preinstalled. MBP will get C2D the moment Steve gets his hands on them no doubt.

So there`s no point at all in waiting for C2D for MacBooks.

One thing I m sure is that You guys have definitely made the current MBP owners even more unsatisfied than ever. I mean as if all this heat,whine etc weren`t enough. You`ve added one more reason to consider their purchase of MBP a stupidity. They paid a premium price for the MBP only to find out that it`ll be OBSOLETE in 3 months.

In any case all these comments that your new MB will be unusable in 3-4 years are worthless for me personally. I dont remember a using the same mobile phone for more than 6 months. Now MB will be my second laptop only(sold the iBook after 4 months of use). But I m sure I wont be keeping it for more than 12 to 18 months. If I find out that there is a new MB with completely new mind blowing design is launched. Then I`ll sell my current one and buy the new one. I m sure I wont lose more than 10% of it`s value.

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hey,
A few weeks ago, i was ready to buy something other than the MacBook and you were the one who told me to hold on because it was going to be such a great LapTop at a great price....So what gives. We Live in a ever Changing world..So what would your advice be to someone who really does need a laptop in the next few weeks before I hit the road for 3 months. I really want to make a switch to Mac..It will be My first Laptop, I am a travelling musician and I want to use it for webbuilding, music, some light video work and ofcourse business on line etc....in my down time I want to learn OS and use the tools of ilife.. SO what should I do???

I m sorry if you were asking only Multi to reply. But anyways, you can have my opinion till he gives his. I dont think there`s any reason (atleast for you) to to hold now. Except for the actual launch of the MacBook. For your needs a Merom wont really make one hell of a difference. And it seems you`ve been waiting for some time now. There should`n be any reason to frustrate yourself anymore by waiting for Merom MB.

I`ll definitely buy it as soon as I get my hands on one.

Please steve just Launch the Damn #%$#% MacBooks. Everyone`s just getting mad here in anticipation.`cept for maybe Multi and Aiden, offcourse:D . But I personally dont think they`ll buy one. Both will be buyin a MBP with Merom IMO. Not an MB. Not unless MB is way better lookin than MBP. People who already have a good enough system can wait. But not the ones like us who are stuck to an almost dead system only coz we are waiting for the MB and dont want to invest our money in somthing we might be selling again in a month. So no point in waiting anymore once it`s launched. Or you`ll be waiting till the end of the time.

Peace
May 14, 2006, 10:31 AM
Man you folks are really getting bored eh? :rolleyes:

Azadre
May 14, 2006, 10:41 AM
In my opinion, Apple will use this opportunity to release their Macbooks. While I do not believe it is a certainty, it would be an opportunity to "surprise" the media. Journalists arrive to see the majestic cube of fifth avenue, only to find themselves apart of a famous "One more thing" presentation. The media would **** themselves out of excitement. On another note, Jobs may wish to focus soley on the new flagship store. The New York market is huge compared to the other markets, and free publicity in the New York Times can only benefit the new store.

BlizzardBomb
May 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
First up I think the average user is a myth because in reality the average user 3 years ago wasn't likely to be doing anything like the level of photo or video manipulation they can these days, and the same will apply for 3 years from now with these and other like multimedia apps. And lets not even discuss games or HDTV ;)

When Photoshop goes Universal, it will perform great on any Intel Mac. HDTV, well I don't see the MacBook's screen handling 1080p and Yonah can easily handle 720p. Games, well the processor won't be the bottleneck... the integrated graphics will.

x64
May 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
Do you think that after saying they will support the G5's until 2009 that they [Apple] are going to turn their back on the first adopters of the MacIntels just to get to 64-bit as fast as possible?
It's not just Apple, other vendors aren't bound by Apple promises.

rhsgolfer33
May 14, 2006, 12:51 PM
It's not just Apple, other vendors aren't bound by Apple promises.

But most of those other vendors are also going to be coding in UBs for the next 3-5 years, so most software will proably run on G5s and whatever intel youre running. Contrary to what seems to be a general belief of some on this forum, the days merom and then leopard are released will not be the complete end of 32bit computing on an Apple. Leopard will be coded for 32 and 64bit support and software companies arent going to stop making programs for the massive Apple user base that wont have 64bit, or even Intel support.

AidenShaw
May 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
But most of those other vendors are also going to be coding in UBs for the next 3-5 years, so most software will proably run on G5s and whatever intel youre running. Contrary to what seems to be a general belief of some on this forum, the days merom and then leopard are released will not be the complete end of 32bit computing on an Apple. Leopard will be coded for 32 and 64bit support and software companies arent going to stop making programs for the massive Apple user base that wont have 64bit, or even Intel support.
Fat binaries aren't free, especially if you need to have 3 versions of your application in them (32-bit PPC, 32-bit x86 and 64-bit x64). Each version has to be separately tested and debugged and supported, which costs money.

If 10.5 isn't true 64-bit, then Yonah won't die a quick death.

One problem is that Yonah does not represent a "massive user base", especially if Apple puts Merom in across the board. It's a few months in a few models of systems.

By the way, I don't think that anyone is implying that 32-bit PowerPC support will be affected by Merom. It's only the long-term prospects for Yonah that are questionable.

tolly
May 14, 2006, 01:27 PM
All i'm praying for is the viseo ipod(fullscreen, touchscreen, 40/80gb,bluetooth) When there were rumors about it a few months ago, they generated alot of excitment, therefore i think there are probably alot of people who agree with me when i say "i WANT one, now!"

tolly
May 14, 2006, 01:30 PM
All i'm praying for is a video ipod (fullscreen, touchscreen, 40/80gb, bluetooth)
when there were rumors about it a few months ago, they generated alot of excitement, therefore, i think there are alot of ppl who will agree with me when i say "i WANT a video ipod, NOW!"

Sorry bout double post

Georgeo
May 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
Man you folks are really gettig bored eh? :rolleyes:
Bored?
Blasphemy!!!
Speak for yoursef!! These pages are overflowing with excitement, anticipation, anger, hope and fear....it's like the dawn of a new religion..and the MacBook is the return of JC himself.. Steve Jobs is god (clever eh?) and we are all disciples. Baptize me baby, and may this new MacBook bring you all joy and Happiness for at least 3 months!!!! Hey, If we all bow our heads and send our energy to god JOBS maybe apple (heaven) will send down MacBook and the world will never be the same again...
all together now AMEM!

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/i/ne/p/2005/101205jobsfaces3_500x391.jpg

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 02:30 PM
Hey, If we all bow our heads and send our energy to god JOBS maybe apple (heaven) will send down MacBook and the world will never be the same again...
all together now AMEM!

AMEN

Peace
May 14, 2006, 02:37 PM
Bored?
Blasphemy!!!
Speak for yoursef!! These pages are overflowing with excitement, anticipation, anger, hope and fear....it's like the dawn of a new religion..and the MacBook is the return of JC himself.. Steve Jobs is god (clever eh?) and we are all disciples. Baptize me baby, and may this new MacBook bring you all joy and Happiness for at least 3 months!!!! Hey, If we all bow our heads and send our energy to god JOBS maybe apple (heaven) will send down MacBook and the world will never be the same again...
all together now AMEM!

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/i/ne/p/2005/101205jobsfaces3_500x391.jpg

I was referring to the 64-bit vs. 32-bit stuff..:rolleyes:

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 02:44 PM
I was referring to the 64-bit vs. 32-bit stuff..:rolleyes:

Atleast it`s way better n educative than MacBook vs iBook. What will it be called...............

ImAlwaysRight
May 14, 2006, 02:50 PM

This is all new territory with Apple. Don't necessarily expect Apple to switch chips in all Mac models the day a 64-bit chip starts to ship. More than likely the consumer MacBooks, iMacs and Mac Mini's will all retain Yonah for some time after Merom becomes available. That's what Apple has done in the past, anyway. I don't expect much to change with the Intel chips. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Another thing to keep in mind -- better than 95% of all Macs in use will not be 64-bit capable when OS 10.5 ships in Jan '07, so I don't see Apple moving to an "all 64-bit environment" anytime soon.

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 02:59 PM
This is all new territory with Apple. Don't necessarily expect Apple to switch chips in all Mac models the day a 64-bit chip starts to ship. More than likely the consumer MacBooks, iMacs and Mac Mini's will all retain Yonah for some time after Merom becomes available. That's what Apple has done in the past, anyway. I don't expect much to change with the Intel chips. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Another thing to keep in mind -- better than 95% of all Macs in use will not be 64-bit capable when OS 10.5 ships in Jan '07, so I don't see Apple moving to an "all 64-bit environment" anytime soon.

You are almost right. Except for may be the iMac. I think iMac will be updated as soon as the new chip arrives. But then I may be wrong. Coz YouAreAlwaysRight.

mikea
May 14, 2006, 03:02 PM
I m sorry if you were asking only Multi to reply. But anyways, you can have my opinion till he gives his. I dont think there`s any reason (atleast for you) to to hold now. Except for the actual launch of the MacBook. For your needs a Merom wont really make one hell of a difference. And it seems you`ve been waiting for some time now. There should`n be any reason to frustrate yourself anymore by waiting for Merom MB.

I`ll definitely buy it as soon as I get my hands on one.

Please steve just Launch the Damn #%$#% MacBooks. Everyone`s just getting mad here in anticipation.`cept for maybe Multi and Aiden, offcourse:D . But I personally dont think they`ll buy one. Both will be buyin a MBP with Merom IMO. Not an MB. Not unless MB is way better lookin than MBP. People who already have a good enough system can wait. But not the ones like us who are stuck to an almost dead system only coz we are waiting for the MB and dont want to invest our money in somthing we might be selling again in a month. So no point in waiting anymore once it`s launched. Or you`ll be waiting till the end of the time.

Thanks
and
Amen

iJawn108
May 14, 2006, 03:29 PM
You are almost right. Except for may be the iMac. I think iMac will be updated as soon as the new chip arrives. But then I may be wrong. Coz YouAreAlwaysRight.
I might hold off on buying a notebook and get an Imac if they are switched ASAP appon release. I need a computer by the end of the summer though.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 04:28 PM
Hey,
A few weeks ago, i was ready to buy something other than the MacBook and you were the one who told me to hold on because it was going to be such a great LapTop at a great price....So what gives. We Live in a ever Changing world..So what would your advice be to someone who really does need a laptop in the next few weeks before I hit the road for 3 months. I really want to make a switch to Mac..It will be My first Laptop, I am a travelling musician and I want to use it for webbuilding, music, some light video work and ofcourse business on line etc....in my down time I want to learn OS and use the tools of ilife.. SO what should I do???I'm sorry. A few weeks ago we didn't have rampant reports of defects in all these MacBook Pros. For the applications you want to use you should buy all the power and screen real estate you can afford and are willing to carry with you on the road. It's a tough call. Music really eats power for breakfast esp Garageband. So it's hard to recommend anything not knowing your budget and plans for it. I would only buy the 17" MBP if I had to buy one now. But I would be making a big stink if my screen isn't bright and even. You will be able to do all you want with the MacBook once it comes out. But definitely on the light side. Sorry for my premature enthusiasm. Now that the newness thrill has worn off, I have become much more pragmatic about the long term relevance of a Yonah processor inside plus all the defects reported. I am not sure what to tell you. You want to private message me for more info about what you want vs. what you need how soon? :confused:

Nar1117
May 14, 2006, 04:29 PM
Nobodys splitting hairs here... no of course not. :rolleyes:

Anyone who wants to squeeze the last bit of crunching power out of their Mac will have to wait to get one forever. Waiting for something thats going to be coming every 6 months is the worst thing one can do in the computer buisness.

Processors WILL get faster.
Your processor WILL become obsolete. Sometime.

Get over it.

May 14, 2006, 04:34 PM

Yonah is obsolete the second Merom comes out! Yes... just like the Quad-G5 will be when it gets replaced. But hold on, then just half a year after Merom, Merom would be obsolete! Ok, let's wait until the end of time until computers don't even need a processor, and they run off brain power :D

Ditto...I've never seen so much crap in the same thread as now...this "64-bit is in, 32-bit is out" argument is simply ridiculous...there is not a SINGLE software produced just for 64-bits, and there is NO way we're gonna see a mass migration to 64-bit in less than 3 years...

After spending one weekend out I come back and read the last 3 pages, wondering whether these people really believe what they write...it's amazing. Not to mention Multimedia's proxy work, bien sūr...:rolleyes:

Arne
May 14, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hi there!

I'm new here. I don't have a Mac but I plan to buy a MacBook (or however they'll call it) as soon as it's available.

This ist what I think about the 32Bit-outdating: Look at this: Jobs said, he would start in summer 2006 with his Intel-transition. In fact he started in January/Febuary 2006 (I think). But he must have known that there were going to be C2D-processors in summer 2006. So if he really wanted to have all Macs using 64Bit-architecture, he would have waited and not have released CD-Macs at all. I guess he saw, that there is no real need for C2D-Macs, at least not for the consumer-models. So I think, that there won't be any MacBooks, minis and maybe even iMacs using C2D-processors soon, propably not even to the end of this year. I mean.. what's the deal? What advantage does 64 bit provide you as a consumer?

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 04:47 PM
Hi there!

I'm new here. I don't have a Mac but I plan to buy a MacBook (or however they'll call it) as soon as it's available.

This ist what I think about the 32Bit-outdating: Look at this: Jobs said, he would start in summer 2006 with his Intel-transition. In fact he started in January/Febuary 2006 (I think). But he must have known that there were going to be C2D-processors in summer 2006. So if he really wanted to have all Macs using 64Bit-architecture, he would have waited and not have released CD-Macs at all. I guess he saw, that there is no real need for C2D-Macs, at least not for the consumer-models. So I think, that there won't be any MacBooks, minis and maybe even iMacs using C2D-processors soon, propably not even to the end of this year. I mean.. what's the deal? What advantage does 64 bit provide you as a consumer?OK. Now please tell me why Intel will continue to manufacture Yonah processors when they can make Meroms that are Yonah socket and motherboard compatible that run faster, cooler and quieter (less fan noise) than Yonah that they will sell for the same price as Yonah? What makes anyone here think that Intel is going to keep making Yonah processors past August? I really want to know. There is no logical business reason for any Yonah lines to keep rolling past August. :confused:

The idea that Apple will not start putting Merom Core 2 Duos in everything ASAP is just wishful thinking. The processor will NOT be the way Apple will differentiate products. SPEED, screen size and ports will.

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 04:53 PM
this "64-bit is in, 32-bit is out" argument is simply ridiculous...there is not a SINGLE software produced just for 64-bits, and there is NO way we're gonna see a mass migration to 64-bit in less than 3 years...

Exactly. Just dont understand why some people simply refuse to admit the facts. And to top it off they are talkin bout 20% extra power and stuff which`ll be of no importance to average Joe. MB is for that common man with basic needs and may be, at most, simple little home video editing at best. And it`ll be way more powerful,than required, for such stuff with even a yonah(which as a matter of fact is the fastest mobile CPU to date). So why bother right now bout a Merom at all. Atleast not in a MB. May be in a MBP. No one even knows when MB will be launched. Just forget bout the upgrade for atleast 6 months after launch.

Boggle
May 14, 2006, 04:55 PM
Having just read the last couple of pages, I'm wondering what these discussions about Yonah & Memrom chips have to do w/ the press event opening the Flagship Apple store in NYC?

I haven't read anywhere that Apple is trying to do anything with new chips by next week. But then again, I'm fairly new to the MR and could always stand some enlightenment.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 05:02 PM
Having just read the last couple of pages, I'm wondering what these discussions about Yonah & Memrom chips have to do w/ the press event opening the Flagship Apple store in NYC?

I haven't read anywhere that Apple is trying to do anything with new chips by next week. But then again, I'm fairly new to the MR and could always stand some enlightenment.lol. Yeah we're killing time trying to make silk out of a sows ear. :p I Few Of Us Are On A WAR(ning) Path! :D

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 05:02 PM
What makes anyone here think that Intel is going to keep making Yonah processors past August? I really want to know. There is no logical business reason for any Yonah lines to keep rolling past August.

Meroms will be launched only in Aug. And intel will have price cut on all the yonah stock. So Yonah will suit MB much more than a merom. I can remember PII chips were available for a long time since PIII was launched. PIII was priced way higher than PII. And the real world diff in performance was in no way justifiable for the cost. Same goes for PIII wen PIV was introduced. Intel will definitely charge a premium on the newer CPUs. They wont stop all the production of CD at once. They haven`t, to date in case of any CPU upgrade.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
Ditto...I've never seen so much crap in the same thread as now...this "64-bit is in, 32-bit is out" argument is simply ridiculous...there is not a SINGLE software produced just for 64-bits, and there is NO way we're gonna see a mass migration to 64-bit in less than 3 years...The mass migration begins in two weeks and it will take three months. We are now less than 3 months from the historical August 7 WWDC SteveNote where Steve will declare the Mac Universe to be all 64-bit thereafter. :p

I could be wrong. :D

Georgeo
May 14, 2006, 05:13 PM

I haven't read anywhere that Apple is trying to do anything with new chips by next week. But then again, I'm fairly new to the MR and could always stand some enlightenment.

Enlightenment!
Now there is a word I can relate to.
You are right sir, this discusion about Yoda and Enron (or whatever they are called) has nothing to do with the opening of the Flagship store in NYC (or what I call THE PROMISELAND). The Macbook, if the Heavens ever open and god JOBS decides to reveal it, is not targeting Humanoids that require 64bit, superfast turbo charged machines. Plus, I believe that the opening of this new store is about the store itself not the MacBook......may the Duo Core force be with us all.
Appleheads Unite!!

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/10/oscars.razzies.ap/story.yoda.jpg

Legacy
May 14, 2006, 05:14 PM
The mass migration begins in two weeks and it will take three months. We are now less than 3 months from the historical August 7 WWDC SteveNote where Steve will declare the Mac Universe to be all 64-bit thereafter. :p

I could be wrong. :D

You are...and very:P

A Steve Jobs with a dedication to shift Macintosh computers into the 64bit generation ASAP should have the same dedication to ensure all his computers are of the quality and difference the name 'Mac' deserves. He lost this in January in my eyes when he announced the first consumer headless Mac with an Intel chip to be a downgrade of the PPC equivalent by using the cheap onboard GMA GPU. In my eyes, a decent GPU is far better than the advantages of 64 bit to anyone, and especially to the consumer who is not after a slightly faster processing output, but a playable frame rate in a game.

ImAlwaysRight
May 14, 2006, 05:25 PM

It has to do with the MacBook rumor attached to the store opening, that Apple could possibly use the store opening to release the MacBooks (my personal feeling is no). Then the two users on this forum that believe any Mac with a Yonah processor is a waste of time and money come in here and spew their (false) doctrine, with wild assertions that Apple will stop using Yonah by :eek: August in all Macs, when 3 months previously (as in, right now) Apple started shipping the new MacBook with Yonah. :rolleyes: If you believe Apple is going to change processors in the MacBook in 3 months, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell ya!

I Few Of Us Are On A WAR(ning) Path! :D
And so was Chicken Little ... :p

To sum it up, if you are in the market for a Mac laptop, the soon-to-be-released MacBooks are going to be a good investment, much better than buying an iBook or Powerbook G4 today. And, no, the MacBooks with Yonah won't be obsolete (as in unusable or unable to run the current Mac OS) in 3 months, or 12 months, or 24 months, so don't let a pair of chicken littles make you question otherwise.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 05:31 PM
Meroms will be launched only in Aug. And intel will have price cut on all the yonah stock. So Yonah will suit MB much more than a merom. I can remember PII chips were available for a long time since PIII was launched. PIII was priced way higher than PII. And the real world diff in performance was in no way justifiable for the cost. Same goes for PIII wen PIV was introduced. Intel will definitely charge a premium on the newer CPUs. They wont stop all the production of CD at once. They haven`t, to date in case of any CPU upgrade.NOPE. This time it's different. :p

May 14, 2006, 05:42 PM
Well, it's seems like Multimedia et. al are having some fun with their 64-bit reveries...let's just chill out and let them dream about the imminent death of 32-bit computing in just 3 months from now...

Yeah, all your G3s, G4s, G5s and Yonahs are obsolete...sorry about that...:rolleyes:

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 05:52 PM
It has to do with the MacBook rumor attached to the store opening, that Apple could possibly use the store opening to release the MacBooks (my personal feeling is no). Then the two users on this forum that believe any Mac with a Yonah processor is a waste of time and money come in here and spew their (false) doctrine, with wild assertions that Apple will stop using Yonah by :eek: August in all Macs, when 3 months previously (as in, right now) Apple started shipping the new MacBook with Yonah. :rolleyes: If you believe Apple is going to change processors in the MacBook in 3 months, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell ya!Are the surfing waves breaking right or left? :p I do believe that by September-October MacBooks will have Merom Core 2 Duo inside. I do not believe Core 2 Duo will be held back until next year in MacBooks. This is my belief and has nothing to do with what may or may not happen. Only my opinion. Nothing more. I am just being opinionated for recreational purposes. No animals were harmed in the making of this opinion. :p To sum it up, if you are in the market for a Mac laptop, the soon-to-be-released MacBooks are going to be a good investment, much better than buying an iBook or Powerbook G4 today. And, no, the MacBooks with Yonah won't be obsolete (as in unusable or unable to run the current Mac OS) in 3 months, or 12 months, or 24 months, so don't let a pair of chicken littles make you question otherwise.I agree. None of us said nor are implying unusability for many years to come. We are only saying that if the switch isn't URGENT then why not wait for a cooler Merom? :cool:Well, it's seems like Multimedia et. al are having some fun with their 64-bit reveries...let's just chill out and let them dream about the imminent death of 32-bit computing in just 3 months from now...

Yeah, all your G3s, G4s, G5s and Yonahs are obsolete...sorry about that...:rolleyes:Hey! I resemble that remark! G5's are not 32-bit and will not die any time soon. The rest are 32-bit and have a rosy future for many years and decades to come as well. Hell there are still a large number of Mac owners happily running OS 7.6 on their PPC 604's out there man. You guys are TWISTING our words all out of WHACK. Somewhere along the line Alden or I used the word "obsolete" ill-advisedly. We didn't mean it in the way you are using it to describe our posts' meanings. We are referring to the historical FACT not the practical reality. Nothing wrong with Yonah for years to come. I want to apologize to BRLawyer in Switzerland and all his fans for getting your panties in a twist over the misinterpretation of the word "obsolete" among all the Yonah fans here.

Here's Tiger's full Oxford explanation of the word:

Thesaurus
obsolete adjective most of the machinery in their Somerville plant is obsolete | obsolete hairstyles outdated, out of date, outmoded, old-fashioned, démodé, passé, out of fashion; no longer in use, disused, fallen into disuse, behind the times, superannuated, outworn, antiquated, antediluvian, anachronistic, discontinued, old, dated, archaic, ancient, fossilized, extinct, defunct, dead, bygone, out; informal prehistoric. See note at old . antonym cutting-edge, the latest, modern.

Dictionary
obsolete |ˌäbsəˈlēt| adjective 1 no longer produced or used; out of date : the disposal of old and obsolete machinery | the phrase was obsolete after 1625. See note at old . 2 Biology (of a part or characteristic of an organism) less developed than formerly or in a related species; rudimentary; vestigial. verb [ trans. ] cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new : we're trying to stimulate the business by obsoleting last year's designs. DERIVATIVES obsoletely adverb obsoleteness noun obsoletism |-ˈlēˌtizəm| noun ORIGIN late 16th cent.: from Latin obsoletus ‘grown old, worn out,’ past participle of obsolescere ‘fall into disuse.’As you can see, there is quite a bit of wiggle room for ambiguous understanding among experts on the future we have assembled in this room. :p

I'll take "behind the times" for $100.

Boggle
May 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies, everyone!

I feel like I've got a better handle on things now. At least I know I wasn't being that dense.

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 05:59 PM
NOPE. This time it's different. :p

I think there`ve been enough arguments on this thing now. Now it`s time to put an end to it. The only benefit of these posts might be that everyone gets to know that there might me newer chips in SUPPOSEDLY all Macs by August. So the ones who believe it are most welcome to Wait at their own risk.

There`s absolutely no point in you, Aiden and Lawyer etc posting your opinions again n again n again and everyone claiming that he`s the only one right.

The ones who cant wait will definitely buy a MB wenever they are announced. The rest will have to decide for themselves.

3 months is not a long time. And we`ll see who was right and who gets to eat crow very soon.:D

May 14, 2006, 06:02 PM
I think there`ve been enough arguments on this thing now. Now it`s time to put an end to it. The only benefit of these posts might be that everyone gets to know that there might me newer chips in SUPPOSEDLY all Macs by August. So the ones who believe it are most welcome to Wait at their own risk.

There`s absolutely no point in you, Aiden and Lawyer etc posting your opinions again n again n again and everyone claiming that he`s the only one right.

The ones who cant wait will definitely buy a MB wenever they are announced. The rest will have to decide for themselves.

3 months is not a long time. And we`ll see who was right and who gets to eat crow very soon.:D

Oh yeah...crow is not so bad anyway... ;)

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 06:05 PM
Oh yeah...crow is not so bad anyway... ;)

Try eatin a live one then:D :D :D :D

netdog
May 14, 2006, 06:15 PM
Meroms will be launched only in Aug. And intel will have price cut on all the yonah stock. So Yonah will suit MB much more than a merom. I can remember PII chips were available for a long time since PIII was launched. PIII was priced way higher than PII. And the real world diff in performance was in no way justifiable for the cost. Same goes for PIII wen PIV was introduced. Intel will definitely charge a premium on the newer CPUs. They wont stop all the production of CD at once. They haven`t, to date in case of any CPU upgrade.

It wasn't so long after the 386 was introduced that 286 users were severely limited for choice. There was a lot that wouldn't run on it. This is a similar architecture shift, and the results will be the same. 3 years is a long time in computing. Anybody who can wait three months will be glad they have 64bit architecture one year from the purchase. Just watch.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 06:22 PM
I think there`ve been enough arguments on this thing now. Now it`s time to put an end to it. The only benefit of these posts might be that everyone gets to know that there might me newer chips in SUPPOSEDLY all Macs by August. So the ones who believe it are most welcome to Wait at their own risk.rotflmao. :D WAIT AT YOUR OWN RISK. That is totally hilarious. You deserve some sort of "most brilliant catch phrase of the week" award Vikas Soni.There`s absolutely no point in you, Aiden and Lawyer etc posting your opinions again n again n again and everyone claiming that he`s the only one right.Yes there is. We are providing entertainment value to the string until Thursday. That is the point. :p I do not claim I am the only one right here. We are all right. I love the diversity here. Don't you see the paradoxical irony in this situation? It's a rare monent in personal computing history.The ones who cant wait will definitely buy a MB wenever they are announced. The rest will have to decide for themselves.Nothing like stating the obvious for emphasis.3 months is not a long time. And we`ll see who was right and who gets to eat crow very soon.:DCan we make that Tofu Turkey Instead? I'm getting hungry already. ;) Either way it's gonna be a wild Summer 2006 as all the remaining Mac Lines go Core 2 Duo and the early Core Duo lines get the Core 2 Duo makeover. :p

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 06:41 PM
rotflmao.

Lesson Learned:- Learn from from your mistakes the first time only (http://http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2346109#post2346109). Don`t repeat them twice.--

ie. Dont comment on multimedia`s post ever again. Stay clear. No point in arguing with the guy. He`s the HeMan of these forums.

I gotta run now:D Run before the God MultiMedia catches me.:p

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 06:44 PM
Nothing like stating the obvious for emphasis.

Better to stay within real world with our eyes open than to close our eyes and start some wild speculation I think.

OMG. I`ll never learn. SH#T.:o

beatle888
May 14, 2006, 06:57 PM
There is no logical business reason for any Yonah lines to keep rolling past August. :confused:

one logical business reason summed up in one word, Inventory.

ImNoSuperMan
May 14, 2006, 06:59 PM
one logical business reason summed up in one word, Inventory.
Dont even bother. It`s worthless. Some people just wont agree with anyone else`s thoughts. Other than may be himself.

Multimedia
May 14, 2006, 07:13 PM
There is no logical business reason for any Yonah lines to keep rolling past Augustone logical business reason summed up in one word, Inventory.I meant production lines. I agree there will be some Inventory that will keep it alive for a few more months. Certainly.

I'll shut up now. MacBooks may stay Yonah 'til next year - sure. Why not? Seems reasonable.