PDA

View Full Version : iPod AV Unpacking?

RustyTrombone
May 12, 2006, 11:48 PM
My friend sent me a link to his photostream on flickr. He told me he snapped the one pic at a mutual friend's house. This mutual friend does work for Apple, so it seems logical for me...but I can't verify this. I am just the messenger.

Link: http://flickr.com/photos/tikigodoffire22/106956799/in/photostream/

-The Rusty Trombone

Peyton
May 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
hmmm. :rolleyes:

RustyTrombone
May 13, 2006, 12:07 AM
That was about my reaction too. I am just so numb after seeing so many of these supposed pics that I don't even know how to react when one of my friends apparently has one.

-The Rusty Trombone

Peyton
May 13, 2006, 12:09 AM
That was about my reaction too. I am just so numb after seeing so many of these supposed pics that I don't even know how to react when one of my friends apparently has one.

-The Rusty Trombone

no I mean, good for you, or your friend, I want one bad, as my 4G ipod died. I really want them to ship these soon! And honestly have no doubts that this is what it looks like.

EricNau
May 13, 2006, 12:16 AM
What does that chinese mean?

RustyTrombone
May 13, 2006, 12:17 AM

Chinese, where?

-The Rusty Trombone

Chundles
May 13, 2006, 12:18 AM

It says either "This side up" or "that chinese on the old pictures was bollocks"

I reckon the box looks cool - if it is a mock-up it's a good looking one.

Lixivial
May 13, 2006, 12:24 AM
Cool enough, whether real or false, it's a nice effort. But until that's Steve Jobs' hand and it is at a press conference, I will not believe it. Same goes for all the MacBook hullabaloo.

One thing, though, I find it interesting that your friend states that it's "near release." I thought the "Video" iPods were pushed back quite far due to fundamental design/manufacturing problems. I suppose that's if you believe ThinkSecret.

I'm curious if, should the real video iPod look like this upon announcement, Apple fans will shout from the audience, "Hey, Steve, that's great, but what'd the Chinese mean?!"

Glenn Wolsey
May 13, 2006, 12:34 AM
Digg please :)

http://digg.com/apple/Spy_Pictures_Of_The_iPod_AV

Oryan
May 13, 2006, 12:36 AM
Yeah. Right.

w_parietti22
May 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
the box looks pretty real. but the reflection on the iPod itself is kinda odd.

RustyTrombone
May 13, 2006, 01:32 AM
I'll probably be heading off soon, but if you guys have any questions you want me to try to force my friends to answer either post them here or PM me and I will ask them. I'm just as curious as you guys to know if this is real. Together we will find out much faster.

-The Rusty Trombone

NicP
May 13, 2006, 06:35 AM
heh, did anyone else notice one of the tags on this image is "april 1"

thejadedmonkey
May 13, 2006, 06:48 AM
One was uploaded March 2, the other, may 8th. I call this ************.

.Andy
May 13, 2006, 07:04 AM
Why isn't there a sticker that says don't steal movies?

Anyway stuff like this is cool. Hoaxes/spy snaps and the subsequent threads is some of the most entertaining stuff on rumour sites. The lengths/creativity some people go to deserves some accolades :). Even better when these threads are posted by newbies!

MacBoobsPro
May 13, 2006, 07:58 AM
I like how most of the images are from REALLY obscure angles so you cant see edges and details. :rolleyes:

Why take a shot of it in your hand and cover up the details when you could place it on a table and shoot it from all angles.

RustyTrombone
May 13, 2006, 10:13 AM
Ok, I just got of the phone with the friend who owns the Flickr account here is what he had to say.

1) The shot in the hand was taken by our mutual friend from within Apple's Campus.
2) He used the "April 1st" tag because that was Apple's 30th anniversary. He also thought it would be an ironic tag should our mutual friend turn out to be BS'ing us.
3) The box shot isn't a "technical" unpacking pic. He said that it was already opened and that if you look at the screen you can tell it's already been used. (Our mutual friend does weird things like store his "toys" in their boxes)
4) He also said that the packaging didn't look final. His best guess is that it is some sort of temporary or internal packaging never intended to be released.
4a) for evidence of the package's unfinished state, he told me that he noticed that there was no apple logo in the top right corner of the box...where it always is. I looked at my iPod box and compared it to this one, lo-and-behold it WAS missing a tiny Apple logo.
5) My friend found the box while snooping. He didn't know how our mutual friend would react so he took what he considered to be a "good" picture of the iPod with the packaging.
6) My friend just laughed when I told him someone at Digg though the box pic looked photoshopped. Hiss response: Check the EXIF Tags if you think so. (I don't know how to do that, so anyone who knows how can do it).

So where does that leave us? I don't even know. Is it real? Maybe. Could it be fake? It could. Is there any hard evidence either way? No. But I'm sure there will be an answer to all of this soon enough.

-The Rusty Trombone