PDA

View Full Version : pretty please with a cherry on top, help me, please

sooz
May 13, 2006, 08:55 AM
I wonder if someone can help me?? I have a 5G ipod, i usually use it with my mac which is in London at the moment waiting to be shipped over to Australia, so i'm currently using my boyfriends windows computer until i get my own here.. my question is this: can i connect my ipod to his windows computer without loosing all the music i have on my ipod?? someone told me that if i connect it, i'll loose all my music, and i really really dont want to do that!!
Any help you can give me would be great!! :)

Queso
May 13, 2006, 09:01 AM
You can connect and play the music from the iPod out of the computer speakers, and I think you can also add music onto the iPod without wiping the current contents. When you first connect the iPod, iTunes will ask you whether you want to associate the iPod with that copy of iTunes' library. Reply that you don't, then change the iPod options to manually manage songs and playlists.

You won't be able to transfer music off the iPod into iTunes though.

.Andy
May 13, 2006, 09:07 AM
I wonder if someone can help me?? I have a 5G ipod, i usually use it with my mac which is in London at the moment waiting to be shipped over to Australia, so i'm currently using my boyfriends windows computer until i get my own here.. my question is this: can i connect my ipod to his windows computer without loosing all the music i have on my ipod?? someone told me that if i connect it, i'll loose all my music, and i really really dont want to do that!!
Any help you can give me would be great!! :)
If you just want to charge your pod you'll have no problems plugging it in. iTunes will prompt you to sync your pod but if you just ignore it things will be fine.

When you first set up your pod with your computer you would have also had the choice to automatically update songs or manually do so. If you chose manual you'll be able to drag and drop on new songs without a problem.

Alternatively there are programs out there (check versiontracker.com) that'll rip songs off you iPod and onto your boyfriend's computer. That way you backup your songs and then wipe and resync you pod on his computer. Be legal though :).

Good luck.

EDIT: mostly beaten by dynamicv :)

Chundles
May 13, 2006, 09:09 AM
You can connect and play the music from the iPod out of the computer speakers, and I think you can also add music onto the iPod without wiping the current contents. When you first connect the iPod, iTunes will ask you whether you want to associate the iPod with that copy of iTunes' library. Reply that you don't, then change the iPod options to manually manage songs and playlists.

You won't be able to transfer music off the iPod into iTunes though.

That's technically correct but in this case, because the iPod is formatted for the Mac, the PC won't be able to see the iPod because Windows won't recognise drives formatted in HFS+.

I'm sorry, but if you plug your iPod into the Windows computer the iPod simply will not mount and the only way you can get it to work is by reformatting and losing your music.

It's a bugger I know, I wish MS would let Windows recognise other filesystems but as it stands, a Mac formatted iPod will not be recognised by a Windows PC.

.Andy
May 13, 2006, 09:13 AM
That's technically correct but in this case, because the iPod is formatted for the Mac, the PC won't be able to see the iPod because Windows won't recognise drives formatted in HFS+.

I'm sorry, but if you plug your iPod into the Windows computer the iPod simply will not mount and the only way you can get it to work is by reformatting and losing your music.

It's a bugger I know, I wish MS would let Windows recognise other filesystems but as it stands, a Mac formatted iPod will not be recognised by a Windows PC.
Good point Chundles :).

Queso
May 13, 2006, 09:15 AM
I've just checked over on Apple Discussions and Chundles is quite correct. Sorry for the misinformation.

eji
May 13, 2006, 10:28 AM
Why are you dating a guy who doesn't own a Mac? :p

redAPPLE
May 13, 2006, 10:37 AM
i have a mac. would you date me? :D

sooz
May 13, 2006, 11:28 PM
bollocks. :eek: thanks for the help anyway!! and redAPPLE i don't know about date, i'll use you for your mac though! hah.

Chappers
May 14, 2006, 12:31 AM
If you only want to charge it then buy a charger - universal ones are available - probably useful in Aussie Land.

neocell
May 14, 2006, 12:58 AM
You can always use MacDrive (http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=macs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediafour.com%2Fproducts%2Fmacdrive6%2F) to get the PC to "see" the Mac formatted iPod then lift everything off with a versiontracker (www.versiontracker.com) software option. Or Xplay (http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=macs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediafour.com%2Fproducts%2Fxplay%2F). I'm sure there's lots more if you look for them. Free too (don't know about the free trials of the two listed, if they're full featured or not). Worth a go though

Good luck :)

Remember there's always an option, don't give up SharkBait

dextertangocci
May 14, 2006, 03:08 AM
I don't know if this works with a mac formatted iPod, but here is an easy way to "back up" your iPod wihout using iTunes, on a pc:

Connect your iPod to a pc.

Open any window and select Folder Options from the tools menu.

In the view tab, check "show hidden files and folders." Then o to My Computer and double click your iPod.

Now you can see a folder called iPod_Control. Double click it. Select the Music folder, and drag and drop the music and videos onto your hard drive.

NicP
May 14, 2006, 09:36 AM
I don't know if this works with a mac formatted iPod, but here is an easy way to "back up" your iPod wihout using iTunes, on a pc:

Connect your iPod to a pc.

Open any window and select Folder Options from the tools menu.

In the view tab, check "show hidden files and folders." Then o to My Computer and double click your iPod.

Now you can see a folder called iPod_Control. Double click it. Select the Music folder, and drag and drop the music and videos onto your hard drive.

no, it doesnt