PDA

View Full Version : just wonderin'...(about super mario galaxy)

sam10685
May 13, 2006, 06:14 PM
...does anyone here the the story for super mario galaxy? is bowser in it? i hope there's more the just some creature with several arms in a thing of lava.

Dagless
May 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
...does anyone here the the story for super mario galaxy? is bowser in it? i hope there's more the just some creature with several arms in a thing of lava.

Well yes, theres the giant tripod monster too. lotsa bosses no doubt

GFLPraxis
May 13, 2006, 09:23 PM
Peach got kidnapped and taken into space.

No really. That's the story.

calyxman
May 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
Wow, what a thrilling plot.

I'm starting to lose interest in Nintendo more and more. :rolleyes:

sam10685
May 13, 2006, 10:05 PM

dude...? when u put it how GFLPraxis put it, of course it's going to sound dumb. there's got to be more to it. if not, then all the mario stories are dumb. (doesn't the princess always get captured?) and besides, if GFLPraxis has the whole story down, it's an improvement over every other maario story. (aren't they all "the princess was captured by bowser..."?)

virividox
May 14, 2006, 02:51 AM
hahahhaha

bowser has a space station!!!

Killian
May 14, 2006, 03:07 AM
To be fair, no matter how crap the story line, the Super Mario games are probably the best games 2d platform games ever made!! We'll never see games like that again!!:(

BlizzardBomb
May 14, 2006, 03:42 AM
To be fair, no matter how crap the story line, the Super Mario games are probably the best games 2d platform games ever made!! We'll never see games like that again!!:(

Heard of "New Super Mario Bros."?

calyxman
May 14, 2006, 10:26 AM
dude...? when u put it how GFLPraxis put it, of course it's going to sound dumb. there's got to be more to it. if not, then all the mario stories are dumb. (doesn't the princess always get captured?) and besides, if GFLPraxis has the whole story down, it's an improvement over every other maario story. (aren't they all "the princess was captured by bowser..."?)

To each his own.

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 11:50 AM

OMG! Who would have thought anyone would play Mario for the story?! wow. just... wow.

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 11:56 AM
The stories are always the same....save the chick.....but who really play mario for the story:confused: .....i just wanna run around all crazy like with a big nose and smash things...good times.

Bless

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 11:59 AM
Thats what I mean. If you want a story why don't you go read 2001 Space Odyssey or the Bible. I hear the Bible has a lot of stories in it. fanfiction.net has too, google "eBooks" for more stories.

You know, I played Timesplitters for the realism and Tetris for the groundbreaking physics and the killer OMGWTF in your face 1080p effects.

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 12:08 PM

Who plays Mario games for the story? Excepting the RPG games (Mario RPG, Paper Mario 1 and 2, Mario & Luigi 1 and 2), Mario games don't have stories beyond "princess peach got captured". They're almost arcade style- just try to win.

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
Imagine playing mario.....u reach to the end and your like "ohhhh!! thats who stole Peach...why would he do that? :eek: oh my he's trying to take over the mushroom kingdom!"...duh!!!

Bless

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
They should make a post-armageddon Mario game.
A single man surviving the downfall of an empire, he's lost to why he lived and so many others perished. Perhaps it was he who committed genocide? There is only one echo heard through the city "brother...", constantly screaming in the survivers head, "BROTHER" it screams and it screams. A constant echo, a siren, a warning. The only piece of history to survive this exclamation point ending.
In this world of loss, sin and pain our hero struggles onwards, stroking his moustache and adjusting his dungarees. Guided by the ferocity of his mental anguish. A bell, a bell twinkles on the horizon of what was once a grand existence. Does he see the bell? Does he dare reach it and listen to it's beautiful high-pitched and high-understanding tone? Does he compare it to a noise he heard once before or does it create an entirely new noise. I forbid this bell, back to whence it came. This sign of temptation, this fire flower of beautiful of shine of grace. I dare'nt look. For could this bell have singled the end of the world? A passing leaf, a single flower, a cape flowing in the wind? No more. Says a voice, no more. No rescue, no safety, no life. Game over Mario.

*presses power off button*

RoxStrongo
May 14, 2006, 12:59 PM
sunshine probably had the most developed narrative. i quite enjoyed the little plot twist. but at the end of the day who really cares about peach? only a complete idiot would get captured so many times. and mario is even more stupid for continuing to rescue her. the narrative is a device to motivate the action (as most games are). it just so happens that this particular narrative is recycled almost word for word in every iteration.

sam10685
May 14, 2006, 02:27 PM
The stories are always the same....save the chick.....but who really play mario for the story:confused: .....i just wanna run around all crazy like with a big nose and smash things...good times.

Bless

have u played the Grand Theft Auto series?

crachoar
May 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
but at the end of the day who really cares about peach? only a complete idiot would get captured so many times. and mario is even more stupid for continuing to rescue her. the narrative is a device to motivate the action (as most games are). it just so happens that this particular narrative is recycled almost word for word in every iteration.

I predict that the next evolution in Mario games will be one where Mario's goal is to avoid saving Peach, while everybody is trying oh-so-desperately to get him to care. The entire game is spent trying to 'stay out of this one', much like the South Park stem cell episode.

DavidLeblond
May 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
Heard of "New Super Mario Bros."?

And the Paper Mario platformer for the Gamecube coming out soon...

DavidLeblond
May 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
The only time I care about the story in a video game is when its an adventure game. Otherwise, for me, its all about the gameplay. Hell when I played paper mario I normally just skipped past all the text. Its secondary to me.

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 03:39 PM
have u played the Grand Theft Auto series?

I'm not a GTA type person but i do watch my brother play em.....may i ask y?

Bless

sam10685
May 14, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'm not a GTA type person but i do watch my brother play em.....may i ask y?

Bless

u said this... "i just wanna run around all crazy like with a big nose and smash things...good times."... i asked u if u've played GTA because in GTA u have missions but the most of the fun is in going around and killing people, causing havoc, messing things up and running from the cops. u'd like it.

SamIchi
May 14, 2006, 08:24 PM
And the Paper Mario platformer for the Gamecube coming out soon...

That is looking quite interesting. I don't know what direction they're goin with that one. Looks cool, but boring, I dunno I gotts see some more of it.

Mike Teezie
May 14, 2006, 09:37 PM
They should make a post-armageddon Mario game.
A single man surviving the downfall of an empire, he's lost to why he lived and so many others perished. Perhaps it was he who committed genocide? There is only one echo heard through the city "brother...", constantly screaming in the survivers head, "BROTHER" it screams and it screams. A constant echo, a siren, a warning. The only piece of history to survive this exclamation point ending.
In this world of loss, sin and pain our hero struggles onwards, stroking his moustache and adjusting his dungarees. Guided by the ferocity of his mental anguish. A bell, a bell twinkles on the horizon of what was once a grand existence. Does he see the bell? Does he dare reach it and listen to it's beautiful high-pitched and high-understanding tone? Does he compare it to a noise he heard once before or does it create an entirely new noise. I forbid this bell, back to whence it came. This sign of temptation, this fire flower of beautiful of shine of grace. I dare'nt look. For could this bell have singled the end of the world? A passing leaf, a single flower, a cape flowing in the wind? No more. Says a voice, no more. No rescue, no safety, no life. Game over Mario.

*presses power off button*

rj, that is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Thank you.

homerjward
May 14, 2006, 09:38 PM
u said this... "i just wanna run around all crazy like with a big nose and smash things...good times."... i asked u if u've played GTA because in GTA u have missions but the most of the fun is in going around and killing people, causing havoc, messing things up and running from the cops. u'd like it.
except the 3d ones all have very good stories, especially san andreas. (havent played vice city or the top-down ones)

calyxman
May 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
Who plays Mario games for the story? Excepting the RPG games (Mario RPG, Paper Mario 1 and 2, Mario & Luigi 1 and 2), Mario games don't have stories beyond "princess peach got captured". They're almost arcade style- just try to win.

That's why I said to each his own. Some people like an interesting concept and well thought-out plot, while others want something simple and to the point.

For some of us, Mario is getting old. We saved princess a thousand times back in the 8-bit days--the only original one was Mario 2.

Don't take it personally, but most of you guys are die-hard Nintendo lovers to begin with. You could care less even if the plot of the game was for Mario to climb a tree and save princess. Just bring on the fat little plumber.

The rest of us have moved on, and we've gotten a little older too.

.Andy
May 14, 2006, 10:38 PM
That's why I said to each his own. Some people like an interesting concept and well thought-out plot, while others want something simple and to the point.

For some of us, Mario is getting old. We saved princess a thousand times back in the 8-bit days--the only original one was Mario 2.

Don't take it personally, but most of you guys are die-hard Nintendo lovers to begin with. You could care less even if the plot of the game was for Mario to climb a tree and save princess. Just bring on the fat little plumber.

Sorry to break it to you but you still aren't mature if you can't help yourself from crapping in a game thread you have no interest in. If you've not got any constructive criticism take a break.

sam10685
May 14, 2006, 11:21 PM
except the 3d ones all have very good stories, especially san andreas. (havent played vice city or the top-down ones)

true... San Andreas has probably the best story any game has ever had. but a lot of fun still comes from death and destruction and all that...

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 11:49 PM

Wait...there was only THREE Mario games then. 1, 2, and 3. How can 2 be the only original one? None were alike...

Sea5onS
May 15, 2006, 07:05 AM
The "I'm too old for mario" line is so tired to me. It's young teenagers who have to prove so often how "adult" they are by....well.....playing violent video games. Sounds real adult to me.

Now, I love a good FPS with a great storyline like most people (HL2 was incredible, needless to say), but when I saw the Super Mario Galaxy videos, I immediately wanted to play it.

I also want to play BioShock for 360, it looked incredible.

What does my age have to do with any of it?

Yup......NOTHING.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 07:34 AM
"I'm too old" doesn't cut it with me either. I'm 20. I got a NES when I was 4. he's been a staple of my gaming life since then. every other platformer gets compared to it, every other game does *is it as fun as Mario?*.

I'm 20 now. I'll still be playing Mario when I'm 40. I don't give a crap what age rating or how old I am - I'll still do what feels good. I'm surprised any of us do really. who are you trying to impress?

crachoar
May 15, 2006, 09:07 AM

Couldn't agree more with the 'getting old' statement when it comes to 'fun factor' (at least, until I play Galaxy).

But...

Ironically, 'Mario 2' wasn't as original as you think it was.

Do you know why it was so different than 'Super Mario Bros.'?

Because it wasn't a 'Mario' game at all! Nintendo was desperate for another 'Mario' game in the states, so they took a pre-existing platformer (Doki Doki Panic) and added the Mario sprites to it - called it 'Super Mario Bros. 2' and sold millions.

Didn't you find it to be kind of odd to suddenly see Mario in Arabia, riding flying carpets, rather than the usual Mushroom Kingdom setting?

takao
May 15, 2006, 09:46 AM
i'm 22 and i'm not tired of mario or feel too old for it.. neither does my 26 year old sister or my nintendo owning friends ranging from 21 to 28 year old

sure GTA is fun for some time when you are a teenager (i own the first 2 after all... for it's original plattform: the PC ...) but i wouldn't buy any of the new ones...

i mean after more than a decade i still absolutely adore civilization 2 and other games of my teenager years on the other side i got tired of GTA

same with need for speed which i loved as a teenager 10 years ago but now i can't play more than a few races

there are a lot of shooters out there which i perhaps would absolutely loved 6-10 years ago but now with 22 i'm tired of them a lot.. heck i haven't even bought HL2 yet .. 5 years ago i would have bought it instantly without hesitation

crachoar
May 15, 2006, 09:53 AM
Well, there's something that's simply more appealing about nuking an entire civilization into extinction, rather than banging and gunning down a hooker...

Who can blame you?

emotion
May 15, 2006, 10:25 AM

I'm highly amused that anyone would look to computer games for an intellectually stimulating story line.

ChrisK018
May 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
I'm highly amused that anyone would look to computer games for an intellectually stimulating story line.

Yeah really. Pick your re-hashed plot line and go. The reluctant hero that saves the country/world/universe. All the sophisticated games NEVER use the same tired plot lines. What? A double agent? Betrayal? The Boss didn't die in the first battle? There are aliens invading? Holy Crap!

It's a fricking Mario game. Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to point out that they are too mature. Please also include a list of the cutting-edge, non-sequal, original plot line games you prefer.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
Ironically, 'Mario 2' wasn't as original as you think it was.

I pity the fool who doesn't know the truth about Mario Bros 2. We all know about that.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 12:01 PM

I dunno there are some games with amazing storylines. Metal Gear Solid 1, Half Life series, Ocarina of Time. Some stories just pull you in and don't let go. them be mine. I can take or leave stories though. It totally depends on the game. Half Life benefits from it's story. Mario doesn't need one. Just the way it goes.

emotion
May 15, 2006, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying that some games have involving stories.

Pick up a book if you want a really good stimulating narrative.

crachoar
May 15, 2006, 05:41 PM
I pity the fool who doesn't know the truth about Mario Bros 2. We all know about that.

Thanks for that post. I got a lot from it. Just as much as you will get from this, I gather.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for that post. I got a lot from it. Just as much as you will get from this, I gather.

Exactly. Everyone knows about Mario Bros 2 so bringing up the whole "Its not real!!11" and going into detail about the backgrounds and stuff was a pretty momentous waste of time. Almost like Beaches (forget his full name) line by line responses a bit ago.

Mario 2 was by far the worst Mario game ever. But it was all done by NoA. go figure.

Sea5onS
May 15, 2006, 06:23 PM
Mario 2 was by far the worst Mario game ever. But it was all done by NoA. go figure.

I disagree. None of the "true" mario games have disappointed me.

By "true" I mean the ones that are actually platform-action mario games (i.e. NOT "Mario is Missing" ---- omg).

calyxman
May 15, 2006, 06:29 PM
Wow. One statement, one man's opinion incites rabid responses from you people. Get a grip! :rolleyes:

Sorry to break it to you but you still aren't mature if you can't help yourself from crapping in a game thread you have no interest in. If you've not got any constructive criticism take a break.

No need to get personal. This is a discussion forum. Just because we all play Nintendo doesn't mean we all must think alike.

Well, there's something that's simply more appealing about nuking an entire civilization into extinction, rather than banging and gunning down a hooker...

Who can blame you?

Congratulations. You've successfully managed to make a straw man out of an opinion and mix in bit of hyperbole. Good job!

Go tell that to the Xbox crowd. For crying out loud, not only is your statement misinformation, but it's way off mark.

Excuse me if I offended you people. Well....actually no, I take that back. If you can't handle one person not liking a certain game, then just accept it. No need to start defending Nintendo.