Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Why is the Macbook listed separately from the Powerbook in the Buyer's Guide?

The Macbook is obviously a continuation of the Powerbook line and by listing them separately the update estimates are less accurate.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Now that the Mac is moving to an entirely different hamster wheel, chances are pretty good that the historical refresh cycles will change. It won't work any more to simply say "um, PowerPC is different." Model updates will need to stay in closer step with the Wintel world because (especially with Boot Camp around) direct comparisons can be made against the competition.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
iMeowbot said:
Now that the Mac is moving to an entirely different hamster wheel, chances are pretty good that the historical refresh cycles will change.

If only I believed that. Somehow I think we're still going to be in for a 9 month refresh cycle for things.

The MacBook is replacing the Powerbook, so yeah while they may be entirely different machines on the inside, they still are the same "product" as far as Apple's lineup goes. The Powerbook reads "approaching end of cycle - buy only if you need it" when they will be no new revisions. It should be "product just updated - buy now" (depending on model you're talking about) and referring to the MacBooks then.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
SeaFox said:
If only I believed that. Somehow I think we're still going to be in for a 9 month refresh cycle for things.

The MacBook is replacing the Powerbook, so yeah while they may be entirely different machines on the inside, they still are the same "product" as far as Apple's lineup goes. The Powerbook reads "approaching end of cycle - buy only if you need it" when they will be no new revisions. It should be "product just updated - buy now" (depending on model you're talking about) and referring to the MacBooks then.

Actually, it should say "Product discontinued - buy only if you prefer PowerPC to Intel."

I wouldn't classify the MacBook Pro as a continuation of the PB. It's a new product with no data to associate with it, yet.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
SeaFox said:
Well, it just got a speed bump today, and that's the second bump if you count the one they did between announcing and shipping. That's quite a bit for a machine that was only unveiled four months ago.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
iMeowbot said:
Now that the Mac is moving to an entirely different hamster wheel, chances are pretty good that the historical refresh cycles will change. It won't work any more to simply say "um, PowerPC is different." Model updates will need to stay in closer step with the Wintel world because (especially with Boot Camp around) direct comparisons can be made against the competition.

They didn't start the iMac buyer's guide from scratch, even though it changed processors. Same goes for the Mac Mini. Whatever happens, I think they should be consistent. Start them all over with the Intel switch or none of them.

sPAULj

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2004
I think there should be a small divide at the bottem and a section where those products are listed as "Discontinued". I think it's a little embrassing to have the iBook listed as "Don't Buy - Updates soon". That may just be me though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.