PDA

View Full Version : Ctrl-Alt-Delete makes fun of Mac ads (contains NSFW Language...

MacBytes
May 13, 2006, 11:43 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Humor
Link: Ctrl-Alt-Delete makes fun of Mac ads (contains NSFW Language) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060514004307)
Description:: The popular web comic "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" made fun of the new Get a Mac "Virus" TV advertisement in today's strip.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mainyehc
May 13, 2006, 11:55 PM
I'm a regular reader of CAD, and I know that Tim Buckley loves to pick on the Mac... However, his humor on the Mac platform has just deteriorated to a whole new level (some of his jokes were actually funny, but this one is just bland). That doesn't mean I'll stop reading his comic; however, I think I (and we all, I guess) will have the last laugh when Apple introduces the Mac Pro in WWDC. :D

4God
May 14, 2006, 12:22 AM
<snip>......I think I (and we all, I guess) will have the last laugh when Apple introduces the Mac Pro in WWDC. :D

Right you are! I can't wait to see what the new specs will be. :D

Phobophobia
May 14, 2006, 12:23 AM
Not funny, clever, or true.

ldenman
May 14, 2006, 12:28 AM
"submitted as lame"

irmongoose
May 14, 2006, 12:30 AM
It's just spite. I was actually looking forward to some clever comeback.

irmongoose

swingerofbirch
May 14, 2006, 12:56 AM
How can it say no one gives a ****, when he gives a **** enough to make a parody of the ad. If the Mac were SO inconsequential it wouldnt have people talking--good or bad.
EDIT:

OK i didn't know that would get edited, I used the word that is in the ad that begins with an S, and is commonly used to describe fecal matter.

It is also commonly seen on the back of cars preceding the word "happens." ;)

e-clipse
May 14, 2006, 01:04 AM
lame

Shamus
May 14, 2006, 01:07 AM
I found the first square kinda funny, and true I suppose. But then the following squares just started to be 'lame', with no wit or real humour.

BakedBeans
May 14, 2006, 01:21 AM
Least unfunny thing I have EVER read.

Shamus
May 14, 2006, 01:31 AM
Least unfunny thing I have EVER read.

Does that mean you found it hilarious?

CallmeKenneth
May 14, 2006, 02:50 AM
It's as bad as that old switch spoof where the guy trashes a coloured iMac. Humorless and 'factually challenged'.

greatdevourer
May 14, 2006, 03:10 AM
I found the first square kinda funny, and true I suppose. But then the following squares just started to be 'lame', with no wit or real humour. I'd agree that the first cell has a point, but the rest is just crap.

And, on the subject of the title, when have CAD not made fun of Macs?

jive
May 14, 2006, 04:11 AM
I actually find it kinda funny. If you can't laugh at yourself then who can you laugh at? Apart from people from run down areas >_>

jimN
May 14, 2006, 04:16 AM
Apart from people from run down areas >_>

Too right!

To be honest it seems like a lot of people have taken the bait here which i'm sure means more to the author than anyone finding it funny.

Mord
May 14, 2006, 04:32 AM
"I don't hate Macs. I just hate people like you and enjoy pissing you off."

thats his stance he's just trying to get a rise out of you so everyone stop writing him angry emails.

Queso
May 14, 2006, 04:38 AM
Oh, come on everyone. Apple were asking for this with that ad campaign. I'm surprised it's taken this long for a parody to appear.

simX
May 14, 2006, 05:13 AM
Yeah, not fond of the Get a Mac ads, either, but then again, I'm not a fan of this comic.

I decided a few weeks back to remove Ctrl-Alt-Del from my daily comics that I read, because it had just begun getting lame. (... especially ever since the marriage proposal, when I think it jumped the shark.) I saw this linked from somewhere else, and it just solidified my desire not to read Ctrl-Alt-Del anymore.

But whatever.

irmongoose
May 14, 2006, 05:57 AM
Of course the Apple ads are asking for it. The whole scheme is so in-your-face that there ought to be some response from those who hate Macs. I'd love it if someone from that group can actually come up with a good comeback, because this attempt is, as others have paraphrased, lame.

irmongoose

Scruff
May 14, 2006, 06:18 AM
Well, CAD isn't all about subtle jabs. It's very straight to the point, in your face humour. I just think those ads were asking for it, it was bound to happen.

I'll agree though that the line about Macs not even getting negative attention... that can hardly be true if he took the time to write that comic, :p.

jaxstate
May 14, 2006, 07:03 AM
I found the bit to be funny. But that's what you get when u make ads that are so smug.

thegreatluke
May 14, 2006, 09:27 AM
I sent the link in linking to the image rather than the comic because today's would change. If anybody wants the actual comic, it's here (http://cad-comic.com/comic.php).

I think the whole Justin Long, Mac and John Hodgman, PC thing is because Apple's just personifying each platform. I mean, Macs are "young"-style, hip, friendly and cool. PC's (especially in the business world) are cold, boring and not friendly.
Most of the time.

wordmunger
May 14, 2006, 09:35 AM
I think it's actually pretty funny. Not hilarious, but it makes a good point. If Macs ever get as popular as Windows, they'll have their share of viruses. OTOH, the virus situation right now is a very good argument for moving to macs.

protogenes
May 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
Lame.:eek:

zwilliams07
May 14, 2006, 11:36 AM
People actually read CAD? Why? Its never been funny, and there are far better alternatives out there. PA, PvP, VGCats, Sluggy, AppleGeeks, MacHall, Real Life... tons of others out there.

Erendiox
May 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hmm... I don't know why you guys are so uptight. Despite the fact that the parody is not true at all, I thought it was really funny. :rolleyes:

It's not like they're just mindlessly bashing the mac. They're using a beliveable misconception, which, while not true, is the belief of many in the PC world. I think it's well done. You guys should chill. :cool:

Mord
May 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
People actually read CAD? Why? Its never been funny, and there are far better alternatives out there. PA, PvP, VGCats, Sluggy, AppleGeeks, MacHall, Real Life... tons of others out there.

you think pvp is funny? it's just a blind dude, wtf.

i read CAD because i relate to it, all my geeky friends are exactly the same as ethan, unless you get that it's probably too absurd for you to deal with.

Peace
May 14, 2006, 01:07 PM
If nobody gives a **** why does he even bother to make the cartoon?.

He must care.;)

cwtnospam
May 14, 2006, 06:43 PM
I think it's actually pretty funny. Not hilarious, but it makes a good point. If Macs ever get as popular as Windows, they'll have their share of viruses.
No it doesn't! Yes, if the Mac gains enough market share, there will be more attempts to write viruses and spyware for it. No, that doesn't mean that there will be as much malware as for the Windows platform. Even if the Mac were to somehow gain a 90% marketshare, the technical roadblocks to writing malware for it are enough to ensure that the Mac will never have as much malware as the Windows OS does now.

solvs
May 14, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I see what you guys meant by lame. I kept waiting for the joke, only to be disappointed. Parody's only good when it's funny, and it's usually better when it's true. I get the joke, I do, it's just that there are so many things they could have done (so many things to make fun of) and instead they just pander to the Mac haters. And it wasn't even that good of a pander. He must not have been able to think of anything good and just wanted a rise out of the zealots who will e-mail him death threats and the PC weanies who will call it hilarious even though it isn't even chuckle worthy.

Kinda ironic for a something called Control-Alt-Delete, smugness notwithstanding.

GodBless
May 15, 2006, 05:12 AM
After I posted this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2410211&postcount=33), a criticism that I have with that site is that profanity needs to be monitored better (and some avatar pictures are disturbing too).

Mord
May 15, 2006, 05:16 AM
if you dont like it dont read it, their are far far worse sites with no "21 or older" warnings, it's not your responsibility to cencor the net, not any christian right wing politician that pushes for retarded laws (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31695)

irmongoose
May 15, 2006, 05:21 AM
I'm sorry GodBless, but where do you see any profanity on this page? All I see are *s.

:confused:

irmongoose

Mord
May 15, 2006, 05:42 AM
~hector thinks long and hard on the most offensive but passable avatar he can think of~

mmmm sacrilegious

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 08:02 AM
It never escapes me that the cartoon that seems to slag off Macs more than anything is called ctrl-alt-del, (named of course after the only three keys you'll ever need in Windows).

I think I'll stick to The Joy of Tech. That pokes fun at all aspects of tech and when they attack Macs or their users, they use something called humour. Example, latest JOT has a couple with a new MBP telling their friends they have chosen them to be god-parents to it.

Mord
May 15, 2006, 10:38 AM
Their have been three anti mac comics at CAD, one the people in jars joke, two the "mac panthers" ethan saga and three saturdays comic, your reactions are the exact reason why he writes the comic, he admits himself he does not hate macs he just hates the way users clamor anyone for saying anything against them.

shamino
May 15, 2006, 01:56 PM
And, on the subject of the title, when have CAD not made fun of Macs?
C-A-D makes fun of everything except the XBox. For some reason, he's got a love affair going with this console, even though it only has two games worth playing (and one is a sequel to the other.)

Mord
May 15, 2006, 01:59 PM
How about you actually play some xbox games before saying only two of them are any good, i love halo but i played far more crimson skies far more jedi academy far more project gotham than i did halo, just because two games are popular does not mean the rest suck. how would you like it if i said the ps2 only has two good games, final fantasy and metal gear solid, (which imo is true, i've never really taken to any ps2 games, mgs was interesting and their are much better rpg's than FF)

shamino
May 15, 2006, 02:01 PM
I think it's actually pretty funny. Not hilarious, but it makes a good point. If Macs ever get as popular as Windows, they'll have their share of viruses. OTOH, the virus situation right now is a very good argument for moving to macs.
I have no doubt that people will start writing malware for Macs. There have already been a few lame attempts.

I think Apple would have to screw up badly for Mac OS to ever end up in the situation Windows is in - with hundreds of thousands of virusses, and the need for virus scanners to be updated daily (and occasionally, hourly.) Even if Macs should become powerful enough to dominate corporate America (OK, I can dream, can't I?), I would find it hard to envision a virus that could rip through an entire LAN full of Macs the way they often do on Windows networks.

Little things like shipping with unnecessary services turned off can go a long way towards keeping a system secure. Lessons that Microsoft should have learned 10 years ago.

RichardJohn
May 15, 2006, 02:07 PM
Oh dear, I suspected the Mac community were like this.

Hopefully I won't have to come here often when I buy a Macbook - I thought Linux fanboys were bad...

wordmunger
May 15, 2006, 02:18 PM
I think Apple would have to screw up badly for Mac OS to ever end up in the situation Windows is in - with hundreds of thousands of virusses, and the need for virus scanners to be updated daily (and occasionally, hourly.)

Agreed, but Apple is not invulnerable to screw-ups. The more applications get interconnected and automated, the more opportunities there are for attacks.

I love macs as much as the next guy, but they're not perfect. Why does my year-old printer suddenly not work on a new mac? Why does a firefox problem (copy and paste) bring down copy/paste on the whole system? They may be better than Windows, but they don't always "just work."

And you're right, RichardJohn, Mac users need to learn to take a joke.

shamino
May 15, 2006, 02:53 PM
How about you actually play some xbox games before saying only two of them are any good...
Well, we've found one person incapable of spotting sarcasm without 20-point blinking smilies all over the place. Anyone else?

BTW, what makes you think I've never used an Xbox? It's a bit arrogant to assume that everybody who has ever used on has to like it.

And what makes you think I'm a PS2 fanboy? Believe it or not, but there are actually people in the world who really don't care if Microsoft and Sony both go bankrupt. And Nintendo can come along too, if they're feeling lonely.

Oh yes, and just to make sure this post isn't misinterpreted:
O O O O O O O O
| | | |
\___/ \___/ \___/ \___/

solvs
May 17, 2006, 12:26 AM
Oh dear, I suspected the Mac community were like this.
What? That we like it when our parody is funny? I wouldn't have minded if it actually went somewhere, but even when they aren't making fun of Macs or Mac users (and there are just so many good things to make fun of) it isn't that funny unless you're already in on the joke.

Unless you meant post #31, in which case I'd like to point out we aren't all like that.

ravenvii
May 18, 2006, 09:57 PM
I found the first square kinda funny, and true I suppose. But then the following squares just started to be 'lame', with no wit or real humour.

Took the words out of my mouth. I was expecting something actually funny when reading the first cell, but the next cells disappointed.