PDA

View Full Version : Greatest vid ever; guess who won E3 2006?

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 01:07 AM
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=288

I went through that line twice. It was insanity.
Just watch the two videos. No more needs to be said. The stunned look on the Sony exec's faces are priceless.

G5Unit
May 14, 2006, 01:24 AM
HHA! OMG! That made me laugh.

shanmui1
May 14, 2006, 01:35 AM
After all of Sony's wild hype and tricks with the PS3 prices/specs, this is what they deserve!:D

turbopants
May 14, 2006, 01:45 AM
It's amazing you did that line twice It's like waiting for a new rollercoaster at an amusemnet park! That shot of the Sony guys was priceless. :D

CallmeKenneth
May 14, 2006, 02:43 AM
That is insane! Imagine trying to complete a level of an awesome game and you have six hundred people queuing up behind you...!

michaelltd
May 14, 2006, 03:59 AM
Holy crap! What day was that video showing the line to the Wii shot on?

When I was there on Wednesday, the line almost, but not quite completely circled Nintendo's booth. That line there circled it and then some!

mfacey
May 14, 2006, 04:19 AM
That's an insane line. Reminds me of the video of the line in front of that Apple store opening in Japan (I think it was Ginza?). I'm amazed people still join the line when seeing how long it is. How long was the wait at the end there?

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 05:05 AM
OMG that is stunning. We've all read how insane the interest in the Wii (or should that be sane, only thing insane this year was sonys pricing) but that was unbelievable. Nintendo definetly came out top on hardware this year, and MS for best looking games.....

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 06:24 AM
Am I the only one here thinking Nintendo are onto something big. I mean disruptively big.

.Andy
May 14, 2006, 07:00 AM
Am I the only one here thinking Nintendo are onto something big. I mean disruptively big.
Yeah I think they're going to do great with this machine. If it's anything like the DS it's going to appeal to a lot more people than just the vanilla gaming demographic. Whether that translates to sales anywhere near what Sony have enjoyed remains to be seen though.

The only thing that I am worried about is the controller not being up to scratch in the home environment. But so far reviews from those who've used it seem positive and Nintendo does have a great track history of quality products. I can't wait to see what Q4 brings :).

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 07:58 AM
Yeah I think they're going to do great with this machine. If it's anything like the DS it's going to appeal to a lot more people than just the vanilla gaming demographic. Whether that translates to sales anywhere near what Sony have enjoyed remains to be seen though.

The only thing that I am worried about is the controller not being up to scratch in the home environment. But so far reviews from those who've used it seem positive and Nintendo does have a great track history of quality products. I can't wait to see what Q4 brings :).

If they iron out problems with the cotroller, hey there was bound to be some especially with early games that arent finished, and can then get that controller into people hands on the retail floor, they will clean up.

Cheaper than the other, not requiring a huge investment (HDTV, BluRay etc..) and can play there currrent DVD movies, and a whole rack of gamecube titles, and all the other existing back catalogue etc....

They wil clean up.......

coffey7
May 14, 2006, 09:07 AM
Its a good thing they don't have jobs they needed to go to. Did they stay in line for days.If nintendo is that popular how come the gamecube didn't sell better.

Benjamin
May 14, 2006, 09:07 AM
Now that's a line, great work out for the him. ;)

DavidLeblond
May 14, 2006, 09:15 AM
What I'm worried about is Nintendo looking at this line and thinking "damn, we could charge ANYTHING for this"

Maybe there is a reason they're so hush hush on the price....... maybe it has yet to be determined.

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 10:11 AM
What I'm worried about is Nintendo looking at this line and thinking "damn, we could charge ANYTHING for this"

Maybe there is a reason they're so hush hush on the price....... maybe it has yet to be determined.

No nintendo have learnt from mistakes and look at the DS Lite, it was released at less than people expected.

I think were all going to be in for a pleasatnt surprise at $199 or $249 with a few extra goodies in the pack.

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 10:21 AM
Holy crap! What day was that video showing the line to the Wii shot on?

When I was there on Wednesday, the line almost, but not quite completely circled Nintendo's booth. That line there circled it and then some!

I believe it was the second day (Thursday).

I got in the beginning of the line during E3 Media Early Access Hours on the first day. On the second day I got in about halfway into the line (ran after the doors opened) and only had to wait about two hours, but I could see how far back it extends (I saw the last section it looped around, but couldn't see the end).

It was actually a fun two hour wait- we played 8-player Tetris the entire time.

But yeah, the line was ridiculous.

I'll post the pictures I took of Sony's line later when I have access to my laptop. It didn't even reach the 30-minute wait sign. I don't think there were twenty people. That was to play the AAA titles like Warhawk- there were other PS3's litered throughout Sony's booth with games like Heavenly Sword and GT4 and Madden and Sonic.

I walked up and played Madden after waiting for ONE PERSON, and I walked up to an unattended Sonic PS3 game. Meanwhile, even the Bomberman ten-second minigame for the Wii had a line behind it, and SpongeBob SquarePants had like five or six people- Zelda was just plain ridiculous.

Nintendo had 27 games in their inner area of their booth for the Wii- several of them had multiple stands (there were like six or seven Zelda, three or four Metroid Prime 3, two or three Madden, etc)- the line you saw in the video is to get inside Nintendo's inner area, THEN you have to get in line for the games- since the wait for each game is ten minutes per person, you usually waited an hour to play Zelda/Metroid/Mario/Red Steel, sometimes two hours.

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 10:22 AM
That's an insane line. Reminds me of the video of the line in front of that Apple store opening in Japan (I think it was Ginza?). I'm amazed people still join the line when seeing how long it is. How long was the wait at the end there?

I've read it was four to five hours. Luckily, I NEVER started from the back of the line (Early Access Hours and rushing when the door opened worked- I still had 1-2 hours wait though).

Archmagination
May 14, 2006, 12:14 PM
Freaky.. here is a video of the rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeR0fL9ofYY

crachoar
May 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
Who 'won' E3 2006?

I didn't know there was an award for that.

The Wii (still doesn't feel normal saying that) didn't really impress me at all (especially graphically, but I suppose that's a different ballgame). I suppose I'll wait until I play Zelda to make a final judgement.

The 'Wii Sports' games looked very...not good. Odd 'design choice' for the characters and such. Reminds me of early SGI demos from the 90's.

As for profits, I wouldn't worry about that. Nintendo uses ass-cheap parts to make their systems (especially the first DS design), and the fact that the system doesn't support HD resolutions makes it even cheaper for them to manufacture. They'll probably get away with charging $250 for it, and most people wouldn't mind. However, I'd really like to see it launch at $150-$200, and I imagine they would too. The cheaper the make it, the less likely someone is going to say, 'Hey, for only $XXX.xx more, you could get an XBOX!'

The system reminds me of a DS console, minus the second screen. Great for short mini-games, not-so-great for traditional games. It seems like the controller could hold some games back - thus requiring the 'classic controller', or whatever they're calling it. Which doesn't really seem like a great idea...

The 'classic controller' is plugged into the remote? It doesn't have any sort of motion-sensor technology, and it (from what I've heard) doesn't have rumble support?

Odd. I think Nintendo would benefit from creating a standard controller, ala the PS3's 'motion-sensor' controller for more traditional games that could still have some degree of motion control. To this day, I still think the 360 controller is the best design.

The gimmick games and the traditional games all have their place, and I hope traditional games still appear on the Wii with tight control, even without the remote.

For example, a 2D platformer would still be best played with traditional controls. When IGA was asked about making a Castlevania for the Wii, he said that he didn't feel the franchise would work with the remote, and I tend to agree. An unfamiliar control introduced to a tried-and-true game style only complicates things.

Hopefully, game companies come up with some really interesting ideas for the controller. Unlike the DS, where the second screen is usually a 'map screen' (useless).

Also, everybody seems to have been so distracted by the 'playable Wii', that they forgot about the important questions, such as Nintendo's online strategy. Will there be a service along the lines of XBOX Live, or will it be a free 'random + freinds codes' system like the DS has?

In closing, I would love to try 'Virtua Tennis' on that system (if it ever came out), but I have to ask...

Wouldn't your arms be tired after holding them in the air for extended periods of time?

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
Arms hurt? I can't say for everyone but I've played a lot of tennis in my day so that's ok for me. But not only that, most games don't require the exaggerated playing as seen in the Wii videos. Especially for system winners like Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy.

also you don't seem to really understand Nintendo's strategy. that's cool like as it's a new thing. You're trying to associate it with current games, which doesn't necessarily work. First person shooters DO NOT work (sorry, it doesn't) without a 2nd analogue stick in the current gen. Playing Goldeneye style or whatever just doesn't cut it, Metroid Prime showed us this. It's a new and better way of playing FPS. it allows accuracy and natural flow. 2 things greater than console FPS. the Wii-mote allows a similar degree of control, it's more natural and more precise.
Current games might need a re-think. But Nintendo doesn't want that. Nintendo want new games, new genres, an entirely new experience. Some things will remain traditional. Nintendo said at least one of their launch titles requires the shell controller so they're not putting all their eggs in 1 basket.

as for the characters in Wii sports. I found nothing wrong with them? I can not see a single polygon in them, I just see accessible fun sprites used in a low budget tech demo for the Wii. If you want everything all guns ablazing with OMG-real faces then look elsewhere. Wii Sports will dominate the non-gaming market. Hell my parents want a Wii for that game alone! their very first own games console. they're breaking into exactly what they said they would - the non gamers.

sam10685
May 14, 2006, 01:17 PM

i heard it was like 4 hours. i know what's going to be the hot seller this christmas...

sam10685
May 14, 2006, 01:20 PM
The Wii (still doesn't feel normal saying that)

it does to me... and a lot of other people. get over it.:rolleyes:

Nar1117
May 14, 2006, 01:25 PM
they're breaking into exactly what they said they would - the non gamers.

But this is a... gaming.... expo... and console...................(?)

Non gamers dont know about E3. Non gamers dont care about E3. They will see the Wii as a 'gaming platform' that uses a 'weird remote'. Non gamers dont want that. Non gamers dont want games. Thats why they're called non gamers.

eva01
May 14, 2006, 01:29 PM
But this is a... gaming.... expo... and console...................(?)

Non gamers dont know about E3. Non gamers dont care about E3. They will see the Wii as a 'gaming platform' that uses a 'weird remote'. Non gamers dont want that. Non gamers dont want games. Thats why they're called non gamers.

i know a lot of non-gamers that are now interested in the wii from all the publicity it is getting, and its innovative aspects, that are just going to be fun

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 01:31 PM
I knew I should have bought Nintendo stock before E3.

Spanky Deluxe
May 14, 2006, 01:35 PM
I really think that Nintendo have cracked it now. A huge chunk of the big budget games out there are first person shooters. Now from my point of view these have always been pants on consoles. No matter how good the game is, the controller's were always sh*te when compared to the good old keyboard and mouse combo on the PC. Suddenly Nintendo have created a control method that's ten times better than a mouse and keyboard combo. Its basically a 3d keyboard and a 3d mouse all in one (the 3d keyboard being the motion sensored numchunk thingy and the 3d mouse being the remote). For the first time in my life I'm looking forward to playing an FPS on a console. Crazy.

Nar1117
May 14, 2006, 01:35 PM
i know a lot of non-gamers that are now interested in the wii from all the publicity it is getting, and its innovative aspects, that are just going to be fun

Publicity? What publicity? I havent seen one article in a newspaper about the Wii, and thats where non gamers will find out about it.

Yeah, ok, a few maybe people will see it, but when an exec. thinks non-gamer he thinks of the new family that needs a nice new piece of electronics that will play their home movies, and maybe provide some entertainment for the kids.

This is a gaming console. Period.

I will give a dollar to anyone who can make a non-gamer learn how to use a 3d remote well enough to play a game and like doing so.

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
Here's a pic I took of Sony's line.
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/e3/E3_2/IMG_0567.jpg

Sony's PS3 booths:
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/e3/E3_2/IMG_0566.jpg

No lines!

crachoar
May 14, 2006, 01:42 PM
it does to me... and a lot of other people. get over it.:rolleyes:

Well, if it does to you, sir Prince, then by all means - accept my apology for my opinion.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Spanky Deluxe
May 14, 2006, 01:51 PM
I will give a dollar to anyone who can make a non-gamer learn how to use a 3d remote well enough to play a game and like doing so.

Ooh, I could make a bit of money out of this then!!

Lets see, on the PS3:

non gamer - "How to I aim?"
gamer - "Well you move this analogue joystick up and down and around like this, you move with this other joystick. You reload with the L2 button. No not that one, that's the L1 button. The triangle button... yes yes I know its not a triangle but it has a picture of a triangle on it that reloads..."

On a Wii:

non gamer - "How to I aim?"
gamer - "You point the remote where you want to aim and then you press fire by pushing this button."

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 01:58 PM

Exactly, Nar is just trying to stir something up. From what I've shown to non-gamers, they're all desperate for Wii Sports. Just 1 of the new applications devoted to non-gamers. Think Nintendogs and Brain Training, if you can. It's more an application than a game for us hardcore gamers. not saying that we won't like stuff like that, I'm all over basic sports games.

eva01
May 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
just like in excitetruck

how do you turn.

You turn the controller like a steering wheel and press A to accelerate.

mario kart will be simple like that

How do you play this baseball game.

Well you see when they pitch the ball all you have to do is swing the controller.

How do you play golf

well when you want to hit the ball you swing the controller like a club

How easy can you get?

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 02:05 PM
Publicity? What publicity? I havent seen one article in a newspaper about the Wii, and thats where non gamers will find out about it.
I have. Have a look. The Manchester Evening News had an article about it once, Live also covers the the new features they announce, Computer Active have had at least 2 articles. The BBC have covered it in numerous formats- TV, online (the 2 i've seen).
So hmm to your comment. If you haven't seen anything yet, then don't fret. the machine isn't out yet. non-gamers won't get excited about that. it's when its out and cheap that those people will take any notice.

Yeah, ok, a few maybe people will see it, but when an exec. thinks non-gamer he thinks of the new family that needs a nice new piece of electronics that will play their home movies, and maybe provide some entertainment for the kids.
Do they? are you en exec? I'd think they would see a non-gamer as in, somebody who doesn't bother playing games. Probably will more more family orientated (there are a lot of single gamers already out there :D ) but with applications in a lot of other fields. My grandparents want a fishing game, my dad want's to play golf and tennis in the only way the Wii can in the living room (he has a bad knee so can't play real sports much).

Well you already owe the Time reporter who didn't play games a dollar. He found it very intuitive, that it was a natural way to play games. Have you never seen someone playing a game jolting the controller around as they go? a non-gamer mate of my sister tried playing Mario Kart once, it was funny as non-gamers don't think "oh! i push the stick this way to turn, not the real way of TURNING MY ARMS like a real steering wheel. dur!"

:rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 02:09 PM

My dad who doesn't play games is obsessed with Brain Age on the DS now, basicly just Sudoku- and I just have the DS Download Play demo (saved on to my M3 adapter)!

I'm certain non-gamers will have no problem. My dad can play baseball, tennis, racketball, golf...but he can't play ANYTHING with more complexity than the NES. I'll give him the Wiimote and say, "Swing this to swing the baseball bat" and put on Wii Sports. No problem.

I expect to make a lot of money off you.

On top of that...look at games like Sonic Wild Fire. The game literally only used ONE BUTTON. One. Nothing else.

Nar1117
May 14, 2006, 02:11 PM
I have. Have a look. The Manchester Evening News had an article about it once, Live also covers the the new features they announce, Computer Active have had at least 2 articles. The BBC have covered it in numerous formats- TV, online (the 2 i've seen).
So hmm to your comment. If you haven't seen anything yet, then don't fret. the machine isn't out yet. non-gamers won't get excited about that. it's when its out and cheap that those people will take any notice.

Do they? are you en exec? I'd think they would see a non-gamer as in, somebody who doesn't bother playing games. Probably will more more family orientated (there are a lot of single gamers already out there :D ) but with applications in a lot of other fields. My grandparents want a fishing game, my dad want's to play golf and tennis in the only way the Wii can in the living room (he has a bad knee so can't play real sports much).

Well you already owe the Time reporter who didn't play games a dollar. He found it very intuitive, that it was a natural way to play games. Have you never seen someone playing a game jolting the controller around as they go? a non-gamer mate of my sister tried playing Mario Kart once, it was funny as non-gamers don't think "oh! i push the stick this way to turn, not the real way of TURNING MY ARMS like a real steering wheel. dur!"

Well it seems ill be broke by the end of the month eh? :D

All im saying is that people who dont play games are probably not going to go out and spontaneously (or not spontaneously) buy the Wii for their home because it appeals to them in some new way, which, by the way, i dont see. This whole Nintendo thing about remake after remake and port after port is getting old, and it would be nice to see them try the cutting edge part of the buisness, and maybe play with the big boys. I would love to see Nintendo overtake Microsoft and Sony because their product is better, not different. The Wii is different.

And the Times reporter doesnt matter, its his job to go out and investigate.

crachoar
May 14, 2006, 03:24 PM
Is it me, or does 'ExciteTruck' sound (and look like) the worst game ever?

Take 'Burn-Out'. Make it worse. Add 'tilty-controller'. Done.

F that. I just want the original 'ExciteBike'. What an excellent game.

Also, could you see the I.R. transmitter that is placed on the TV? I haven't seen anything on that. How does it hook up to the system? USB?

I remember when I was a kid, we were hooking up the 'Power Glove' (aka, 'worst controller ever'), and you had to outfit the TV with this obnoxiously large sensor device...

Did anyone get a chance to try 'Twilight Princess' with the new controller? If so, how much 'better' was it? Did it make the game more realistic and engaging, or was it a gimmick that was kinda-sorta-hard-to-control?

From what I understand, it's a 'mouse-and-keyboard' type deal, where the fairy is the mouse cursor (much like the DS Zelda game - although - on the DS, you only use the touch screen).

Is anybody else kinda pissed that they aren't just releasing a universal disc of Zelda? Unless the Wii version has high-res textures or something, I don't see much of a reason for the dual-system launch. Hopefully it looks better too...

Also, is there any information as to what cables the Wii will connect to the TV with? Are they sticking with the same cables they've been using? As in, will my Gamecube A/V cables work? Does the system come with component cables for 480p, can I use my Gamecube component cables? Etc.

It's all grand and fun to talk about how sweet it was - but I'd rather have hard facts on the system (something that I've noticed doesn't happen at E3 anymore).

mypoorfriendme
May 14, 2006, 03:47 PM
the wii is not going to compete with the ps3 or 360.

the big money doesnt lie in mario tennis or a any other game geared toward children. the money lies in the halo's, the maddens, metal gear solids, grand theft autos, etc.

the wii isnt going to compete with the ps3 or 360 for the exact same reason the gamecube never competed. the 16 and over gamers have much more money to spend and generally speaking the wii's biggest target market is the 15 and unders.

Spanky Deluxe
May 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
the wii is not going to compete with the ps3 or 360.

the big money doesnt lie in mario tennis or a any other game geared toward children. the money lies in the halo's, the maddens, metal gear solids, grand theft autos, etc.

the wii isnt going to compete with the ps3 or 360 for the exact same reason the gamecube never competed. the 16 and over gamers have much more money to spend and generally speaking the wii's biggest target market is the 15 and unders.

2 posts. Troll.

I and all of my housemates are looking forward to the Nintendo franchise games and we're all over 20. The only game from the PS3 that I'll care for is the next GTA but then I'd rather wait for it to come to the PC anyway. The big money does lie in games like mario tennis or mario kart. Mario Kart's a pretty 'childish' game yet its one of the most popular games out there, its the only game for my 'cube that I still pick up and play regularly with my housemates.

eva01
May 14, 2006, 04:45 PM
yes the day i can see 16 year olds being able to afford PS3s left and right is the day i know minimum wage for the country has gone up to 12 dollars an hour

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 05:13 PM
yes the day i can see 16 year olds being able to afford PS3s left and right is the day i know minimum wage for the country has gone up to 12 dollars an hour

Hahaha. have it in one. How many of these teens that Sony tries to attract (graffiti advertising?) going to be able to afford a $500/600 machine. Not bloody many I tell you :) I mean I've got a part time job now, few hours a week for a nice 50. The first time I've learnt the value of money and well... It's changed my priorities.

Anywho. I'm 20. At university. Know all of the 20-30 year olds on the course. Pretty much all them had no idea about the Wii or the Revolution. Showed them the Nintendo intro vid from E3 and they're pretty much hooked now too. I guess this new strategy isn't working :rolleyes:

And the Times reporter doesnt matter, its his job to go out and investigate.

Exactly. He investigated and reported that the Wii is a really great machine, to a non-gamer too. Sorry, that comment only enforced what I've been saying. hmm.

crachoar; Read these forums more. It's been explained at least twice by me about the TV connection. So before you try these trolling negative posts about what the Wii can't do you should do a little research first. try http://wii.nintendo.com for one. The Wii outputs to component and composite using the proprietary output port on the back. Component can be converted to VGA with a 10 cable too. So that's everything barring DVI and HDMI. Even though VGA can be upgraded to DVI with another adapter.

Anywho. Could any doubters please explain why Nintendo had the biggest queues, most excitement, most positive reviews? or hey, just as the typical outcome is - is the world Nintendo biased. :rolleyes:

billSB22
May 14, 2006, 05:19 PM
This whole Nintendo thing about remake after remake and port after port is getting old, and it would be nice to see them try the cutting edge part of the buisness, and maybe play with the big boys.
is there even anything that needs to be said? :rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 05:29 PM
is there even anything that needs to be said? :rolleyes:

1 word.....

Bless ;)

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
^that sounds like a crack at me.....:eek:

BLESS!

Whotheheck
May 14, 2006, 05:47 PM

Are you kidding me? It was on the front page of BBC news for over a day. It was on the local TV news here. It was in our local newspaper. Time magazine had a huge article in it. And that just goes to show where I've seen it. Who knows where else it was mentioned.

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 05:50 PM
You know whats funny though... to all those people who queued up for hours on end just to play the Wii - there will be shorter queues for the demo stations when it's in the shops. ;)
You just got to play it first, thats all :p

*who am I kidding... *sobs**

Counterfit
May 14, 2006, 06:08 PM
Its a good thing they don't have jobs they needed to go to.
Actually, as E3 is open to media only (and those who can somehow get a pass), most of the people there ARE working.
Where the **** have you been all week?! :eek: :rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 06:16 PM
^that sounds like a crack at me.....:eek:

BLESS!

LOL! No M8,

I say that all the time when I'm being patronising :D :D :D So simple and so to the point, is there ever any need to say anything else :D

best word in the english dictionary * well that and gynotikolobomassophile

Nar1117
May 14, 2006, 06:22 PM
Well it seems that the Wii gets a lot more coverage in the Uk than it does here in the US.

And what i meant about the Times reporter is that he gets paid to go out and look for things that would appeal to the average person. The average person does not go out and look for things that would appeal to them. They wait for it to come to them, and for the american public that means getting slapped on the head a few times until they realize what a 'great' priduct it is, and why they 'need' it

So unless the Wii gets some serious TV spots and 6-o'clock news items, average people (i.e. non gamers) arent going to care or even know about it.

And yes, sure, ill explain why people wanted to wait 4 hours to see the Wii.
Its a next-gen console that no one really knows anything about. And they still dont. PS3 doesnt matter right now, its $600. Xbox 360 is already out. Gamers know that the Wii will be the 'underdog' with its strange remote-control and sub $300 pricetag. So they want to see it. They want to see whether it'll blow Sony out of the water. I can tell you right now, 5 years down the road, there will be two types of gamers, those who go for Nintendo for its retro games and cheap price, and those who go for the Xbox and PS3 because of their HD capabilities and high-octane games. Already, with the Wii, you can see this line forming. This is big stuff, and people what to see whats causing it, so they line up, and line up, and line up.

michaelltd
May 14, 2006, 06:26 PM

It was in my newspaper here...

michaelltd
May 14, 2006, 06:33 PM

lol, my mom would do the same.

Symtex
May 14, 2006, 06:48 PM
Can you guys stop hyping the Nintendo Wii like it's the 8th wonder of the world ? I see several issue with the Nintendo Wii.

1. Having a motion sensing controller is not suitable for playing long hours. This will be even more true playing sport game like tennis or baseball.

2. The remote is powered by AA Battery. No rechargable option has yet been announced

3. The Wiimote is sensible to the distance you are from the TV set. The further away you are from the Sensor, the more sensible the controller is.

4. You have to move every furniture of the room just to play tennis ?

5. Nintendo Wii is only 2x more powerfull then the Gamecube. This will come to play 3 or 4 years from now once the X360 or PS3 will come out with later generation games.

6. Nintendo keeps talking about behing cheap but no price has yet been announced. Must be 199$ or below.

This is only just a few issue the Nintendo Wii has. I think it will have it share of followers. You will hate it or love it. I think it will be a good 2nd console to own but I would not choose Nintendo Wii has my primary console.

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 06:56 PM
1. Pour Quoi?

2. RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES

3. I'm sure you can calibrate

4. So tidy up your bloody room ;) I really dont think you do, your slightly exagerating there don't you think.

5. In 4 years time we will be hearing about PS4, Xbox720 and Wii 2... Does it really matter

6. Yep more than likely $199. and that's a problem why?

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 07:19 PM
Can you guys stop hyping the Nintendo Wii like it's the 8th wonder of the world ? I see several issue with the Nintendo Wii.

1. Having a motion sensing controller is not suitable for playing long hours. This will be even more true playing sport game like tennis or baseball.

While it's possible some games might tire your hands, I think most of the titles won't. Excite Truck, Sonic Rush, and Zelda showed no sign of tiring. Metroid Prime might after a few hours...maybe. Tennis probably would after a few hours straight, though I didn't get to play Tennis so maybe not.

2. The remote is powered by AA Battery. No rechargable option has yet been announced

What you say hasn't been announced. The Nintendo rep I talked to said that Nintendo had not actually finalized whether it will use AA batteries or built in batteries- the ones on the floor were wired controllers.

3. The Wiimote is sensible to the distance you are from the TV set. The further away you are from the Sensor, the more sensible the controller is.

Not really. The sensor detects how far from the TV set you are, as long as you're not a foot away it's equally accurate. It's "senses" not "sensible".

As for moving furniture- you actually can choose to just rotate your wrist instead of swinging your arm and accomplish the same effect. Waving your arms around the room is just an option if you prefer.

5. Nintendo Wii is only 2x more powerfull then the Gamecube. This will come to play 3 or 4 years from now once the X360 or PS3 will come out with later generation games.

6. Nintendo keeps talking about behing cheap but no price has yet been announced. Must be 199$ or below.

For the graphics; don't care, looks good enough that it didn't bother me and I had a fun time.

For price; isn't that a good thing?

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 07:21 PM
Actually, as E3 is open to media only (and those who can somehow get a pass), most of the people there ARE working.

Actually, it's open to two types of people; Media, and Attendees, where Attendees are people sent by their company, and that company must be related to the videogame industry.

So yes- every single person in there has a job :)

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 07:33 PM

This is only just a few issue the Nintendo Wii has. I think it will have it share of followers. You will hate it or love it. I think it will be a good 2nd console to own but I would not choose Nintendo Wii has my primary console.

1. It isn't? Strange. I could play tennis for literally hours. then again I'm trained.
2. Nothing has been announced yet? Hmm. Schrodinger's cat. It has both a rechargeable battery pack and AA batteries :cool: no mention=it can be any. My bet is on what Nintendo have been doing in every battery powered machine since the GBA SP in 2002 > rechargeable battery pack. Though I'd rather have AA myself. I have some absurdly huge Mha (or whatever it is) AA batteries that last more than anything else I've ever used.
3. Is it? Because it isn't. It isn't affected by distance. You could probably calibrate it at the start of the game just incase you move around. Like the old N64 analogue sticks centred themselves on boot up/controller reset.
4. Yea dammit. Tidy up. Tennis... You know you don't run around the room right? you just move your arms. you could probably even play it with your arm itself in a stationary position.
5. Get your facts straight. Nintendo outright denied this 2x thing. It's more than twice the Gamecube power/speed.
6. It will be cheap yes.

Schrodinger's cat can be applied all over the place here. They haven't given out official specs yet, so it may be more powerful than the Cell. It may stock a nuclear engine under the flap. You can't judge or say until you know, especially on either old news or retracted news. :confused: :confused: :confused: very confused.

.Andy
May 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
Guys just ignore them they're only here to troll for reaction. They could answer their own questions if they went to the trouble to look them up. But it's obvious they aren't really interested. It's clear who were by far the biggest interest of E3 for those attending - who knows what will happen when things get to market though.

The majority of the complaints/issues people have is due to a complete misunderstanding of how the wii works. And that's understandable in itself as there's not much info out yet. Anyone who has watched the clip of the girl playing Mario Galaxy or the keynote will realise you're not going to have to jump around your room and dive behind the couch to play. That's marketing. Sure you can if you like - but sensibly you'll just sit still and make small hand gestures unless you want to be super emphatic. I can understand to others that gaming is serious business that requires an investment in time and money to prove you mettle but I'm glad a company is going another way.

Since my PS1 was stolen in 2000 you could classify me as a non-gamer. I was pretty much disinterested in all the offerings, only the reviews for Res Evil 4 peaked my interest in a GC. Still didn't bite the bullet though and invested in a DS about 6 months ago instead as a bit of light gaming fun. The DS has been so much fun my fiance (never gamed before) and brother have one now and my mother (non-gamer) is constantly playing tetris. It's also got me interested in a Wii - from the DS I know how Nintendo can execute an idea like this. So there's a few more dollars owed there ;).

sam10685
May 14, 2006, 08:32 PM
Is it me, or does 'ExciteTruck' sound (and look like) the worst game ever?

Take 'Burn-Out'. Make it worse. Add 'tilty-controller'. Done.

F that. I just want the original 'ExciteBike'. What an excellent game.

Also, could you see the I.R. transmitter that is placed on the TV? I haven't seen anything on that. How does it hook up to the system? USB?

I remember when I was a kid, we were hooking up the 'Power Glove' (aka, 'worst controller ever'), and you had to outfit the TV with this obnoxiously large sensor device...

Did anyone get a chance to try 'Twilight Princess' with the new controller? If so, how much 'better' was it? Did it make the game more realistic and engaging, or was it a gimmick that was kinda-sorta-hard-to-control?

From what I understand, it's a 'mouse-and-keyboard' type deal, where the fairy is the mouse cursor (much like the DS Zelda game - although - on the DS, you only use the touch screen).

Is anybody else kinda pissed that they aren't just releasing a universal disc of Zelda? Unless the Wii version has high-res textures or something, I don't see much of a reason for the dual-system launch. Hopefully it looks better too...

Also, is there any information as to what cables the Wii will connect to the TV with? Are they sticking with the same cables they've been using? As in, will my Gamecube A/V cables work? Does the system come with component cables for 480p, can I use my Gamecube component cables? Etc.

It's all grand and fun to talk about how sweet it was - but I'd rather have hard facts on the system (something that I've noticed doesn't happen at E3 anymore).

ur apparently looking for bad stuff about the Wii. try to be a bit more optimistic.

Spanky Deluxe
May 14, 2006, 08:54 PM

The N64 was way more powerful than the original Playstation, especially in the 3D graphics department... which won that round though! Its not all about power.

Schrodinger's cat can be applied all over the place here.

Please please please don't mention Schroedinger's name again! I have spent the last two weeks writing out countless equations with his name stamped on them and have an exam on them on Wednesday, hearing his name makes me want to cry!!!!! :(

.Andy
May 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
Please please please don't mention Schroedinger's name again! I have spent the last two weeks writing out countless equations with his name stamped on them and have an exam on them on Wednesday, hearing his name makes me want to cry!!!!! :(
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7429/erwinschrdinger7ez.jpg

crachoar
May 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
ur apparently looking for bad stuff about the Wii. try to be a bit more optimistic.

Yes, apparently, finding out about a system before you decide to purchase it is negativity.

Again, I apologize, your highness.

Spanky Deluxe
May 14, 2006, 09:48 PM
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7429/erwinschrdinger7ez.jpg

Nooooooo.... you've done it now, I'm crying my eyes out and am considering jumping out the window. :p

He's probably working out a schroedinger equation for the behaviour of the wiimote. Too many dimensions to comprehend at once!! :p

AP_piano295
May 14, 2006, 10:54 PM

1. Good youll get a bit of a workout.
2.nough said
3.dont even understand
4.could be anoying if your limmited for space or playing with four friends wire tangles and smacking eachother is a possibility.
5.I think this is a stupid decision on their part considering the years between each console release.
6.cheap is good for a machine that does nothing but play games

Also I think the enormous lines are because this is such a new style of control people are interested I know I would be running to play the Wii because it is totally new. This does not mean I would actually buy it novelty wears off.

21st century who is a "non gamer" I know no one absolutely zero people in my age group high school who doesnt play games. This is goths, nerdy typers, cool kids, normal kids, girls boys athletes non athletes EVERYONE plays games. I defy you to go to a high school and find 10 people who dont play games. So I dont understand your idea of picking up "non gamers"

So far what ive seen of shooters on the wii apears to be completely awful... no other way to put it red steal looks like crapola. I dont know what was worst the players awful shooting (dont know if this is his fault or the wii's I havent actually touched one yet.) The painfully slow speed of play, the totally stupid ai that just stood there and was blown to bits while the anouncer go's "the intelligent ai will cause the enemies to attempt flanking manuvers and effectively use cover" the poor grphx (I think in this case it can be blamed on art direction) or that hugely boring sword fight at the end. So maybe your all right the wii is the console for shooters... I just havent seen that shooter yet.

technocoy
May 15, 2006, 12:27 AM
lot of denial going on in here....

Everyone i know that was there is in love with it.

To say nintendo lost the last rounds of console wars is rather funny and quite subjective, since I'm quite sure that nintendo was loving the huge profit they made on each console and game. They may have even made the most profit of any system last time around.

Wii is going to be awesome.

I also don't think any of those people decided to wait 4hours in a line to see the Wii just because it was different.

Whats happening here is a growing distinction between "old school" gamers and "new school". At some point there are going to be several generations of gamers and not just from 7-35yrs. In my humble opinion you can't even call yourself a true gamer if you don't like franchises like mario, metroid, zelda, sonic, etc. Again, just my opinion.

I don't really care since I'll wind up with all the systems anyway, but the last time around my xBox gathered dust after halo and mech assault, my PS3 got picked up when the occasional franchise game came along (FF, GT, etc) and my gamecube wound up getting lot's of play.

of course as of late, i mostly just play my DS and PSP.

As for press... it was on the main page of CNN for an entire day and is still the headline story under technology....

Sea5onS
May 15, 2006, 06:35 AM
Some thoughts:

1.) If Nintendo is successful at garnering the attention of previous non-gamers, then graphics won't matter nearly as much as it does to hardcore gamers. Ask my dad if he cares if Madden 07 has extensive normal mapping or not! I love great graphics (I own a 360), but I do not want to pay $599.99 for a console just for Metal Gear (as much as I LOVE that game).

2.) How about this unprecedented level of intuitive control? If suddenly my dad can compete with me in a sports game because the barriers of the interface have been removed, well, then sports games just got a LOT more fun to me! This may not apply to everyone, as you may only play games with friends who are similiarly capable/experienced.

3.) Now, this intuitive controller "advantage" is not a given, but a potential. It's up to developers to capitalize on Nintendo's gamble. By making a traditional controller shell secondary at best, Nintendo has simultaneously paved the way for innovation, while also risking being shoved to a kind of marginality as a result.

4.) I think Nintendo's onto something great though, and the Wii will be powerful enough for a creative developer to paint a work of art with, and it's new gameplay experiences that I'm interested in. I think more gamers will realize they're interested in this too, but we won't know until the games exist.

5.) I'm in my 20s, and I was skeptical that I'd ever care about another 3D platforming mario game, but when I watched the Super Mario Galaxy videos, I was immediately sold. It's just screaming to be picked up and played, IMO. It's strange how Nintendo can do that.

6.) In general, that's my conclusion about this stage of Nintendo Wii's reputation. It's intriguing, but people need to get their hands on it to understand why it's anything special. Until then, it's a graphically "weaker" (not entirely irrelevant, but somewhat shallow point) yet cheaper console set to release this fall.

Personally, I think owning a 360 and a Wii is much nicer than just owning a PS3. If you're rich enough to own it all, then shut up! jk, haha. Lucky to be you, I guess.

Mavimao
May 15, 2006, 07:24 AM
21st century who is a "non gamer" I know no one absolutely zero people in my age group high school who doesnt play games. This is goths, nerdy typers, cool kids, normal kids, girls boys athletes non athletes EVERYONE plays games. I defy you to go to a high school and find 10 people who dont play games. So I dont understand your idea of picking up "non gamers"

So far what ive seen of shooters on the wii apears to be completely awful... no other way to put it red steal looks like crapola. I dont know what was worst the players awful shooting (dont know if this is his fault or the wii's I havent actually touched one yet.) The painfully slow speed of play, the totally stupid ai that just stood there and was blown to bits while the anouncer go's "the intelligent ai will cause the enemies to attempt flanking manuvers and effectively use cover" the poor grphx (I think in this case it can be blamed on art direction) or that hugely boring sword fight at the end. So maybe your all right the wii is the console for shooters... I just havent seen that shooter yet.

Ah yes, the wonderful cliques and castes of the American High School social structure. When you say such definitions like "goth", "nerdy", "jocks" with "normal people" you really exhume maturity. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry my social interactions don't limit themselves to 14-18 year olds, but I know lots of people who don't play video games for various reasons. One girl I know doesn't like them because she was never good at them, another girl doesn't play them because for some reason, they bore her (never understood that one), my grandparents loved Duck Hunt, but I don't see them figuring out the controls for Mortal Kombat. So, yes, I am well aware of the 21st century, "non-gamer".

As far as shooters on the Wii, check out videos of Metroid Prime 3. Just because one game (red steel - please learn how to spell as well) is bad, don't say the entire system is incapable of the genre.

AlmostThere
May 15, 2006, 08:03 AM
The Wii (and I am totally happy with that name) is the first console in 10-ish years that I am actually considering buying (N64 was the last one). Until seeing this in action, all consoles were just "yahdeyadeyah - blah blah blah" all the same.

If a game takes time to learn, requiring mastery of 20 controls and hours of practice, I'll play it on my PC, on my own. I love BF2 / GTA but it is simply not something that belongs in the living room.

It is so boring watching someone shave 0.02 seconds of their lap time in <generic racing game> and then crashing 2 seconds into your lap because you haven't put in the required 30 hour weeks building your skills.

I want something that will be fun for guests who have never played before and where everyone can join in and most of all looks fun to play. Graphics come a distant second to the ability to put a smile on everybody's face.

HiRez
May 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
I want something that will be fun for guests who have never played before and where everyone can join in and most of all looks fun to play. Graphics come a distant second to the ability to put a smile on everybody's face.The Wii will be the best party box ever, for all ages. I'm sure somewhere Nintendo will put a huge "ATTENTION! NOT TO UTILIZE ALCOHOL WITH WII!" warning. I never felt comfortable exposing many of my guests (meaning non-gamers) to any game console that I've owned. It's just not something you do. But I can actually see doing this with the Wii. "How about pulling in some fish, grandpa? Cast out!" or "See the weasels popping up on the lawn? Bop them!" No need to explain complicated control mechanisms that turn non-gamers off.

Ayre
May 15, 2006, 09:03 AM
I'm pretty baffled at the negative reactions towards the Wii. It only takes a few visits to Google News to discover who "won" E3. Sony is being bashed for its hefty price tag on the PS3, and Nintendo is being praised for a new way of gaming. Hell, even Microsoft went on the record to praise Nintendo (though I'm sure that's more for publicity than anything.).

Crachoar seems to be playing devil's advocate more than anything. I mean, if everyone's loving this new console, there HAS to be someone to denounce it, right?

Give Nintendo a break. They've been trying to push this kind of innovation into games for years with all sorts of wonky attachements that do everything that the traditional controller doesn't. With the Wii and DS, they finally found a way to create a new style of game play that doesn't involve mashing buttons and precisely maneuvering analog sticks; the very things that turn people off from games.

Someone needed to do this. I read a quote somewhere that the difference between making games for the Wii and for the PS3/Xbox 360 is the same difference between an artist and a factory worker. I believe it. The Wii may not have the biggest slam-bang graphics that the other two consoles have, but that's fine. If more work is put into the gameplay, I'm all for it.

That said, I'm definitely hoping for a Wii version of Katamari Damacy. ;)

crachoar
May 15, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'm pretty baffled at the negative reactions towards the Wii. It only takes a few visits to Google News to discover who "won" E3. Sony is being bashed for its hefty price tag on the PS3, and Nintendo is being praised for a new way of gaming.

Again, I didn't know there was an award for 'winning E3'. Now I see why all of the companies 'compete' there.

What's there to be baffled about? Not everybody in the world likes the same things.

I couldn't agree more with the public lashing of Sony, though. This whole 'Blu-Ray and DRM' fiasco is a great way to 'F the consumer in the A'.

Crachoar seems to be playing devil's advocate more than anything. I mean, if everyone's loving this new console, there HAS to be someone to denounce it, right?

'Denounce'? That's a strong word for 'having my doubts' or 'wanting to know more'. I suppose I should call you a 'zealot' for simply liking the idea of the system - by your logic.

I don't know why I haven't embraced that phallic remote and all of it's splendor. I can't possibly be that I have my doubts and questions, and you're just completely thrilled. It has to be something else...something more...

...sinister...

But you're right, I must be 'arguing' because I just felt like it. I didn't bring up such valid points as 'Nintendo Won E3'. I asked questions such as 'How does the I.R. equipment hook up to the system?' Clearly, you are the victor.

I have been defeated...

That said, I'm definitely hoping for a Wii version of Katamari Damacy. ;)

The creator of Katamari Damacy said that he's done with the franchise and wants to move on to bigger and better things.

I support his decision.

What I want now, is videos of this supposed 'Bob Ross' painting game...

Ayre
May 15, 2006, 11:30 AM
Wonderful, maybe I should've left the bits of my post out that would've upset you. After all, my entire post was dedicated to bashing you.

I apologize for isolating you. I might've gotten a little carried away. The other two paragraphs you didn't reply to, however, are relevant to this thread's discussion.

Abulia
May 15, 2006, 11:45 AM
Yea, I'm a little confused how anyone can "win" a trade show, but what the heck.

In any case, a thread started by GFLPraxis on MacRumors in the Games section? I don't need to read this thread to know who "won" E3. :)

crachoar
May 15, 2006, 05:44 PM
And how.

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 06:19 PM
Yea, I'm a little confused how anyone can "win" a trade show, but what the heck.

In any case, a thread started by GFLPraxis on MacRumors in the Games section? I don't need to read this thread to know who "won" E3. :)

Funny, a lot of people say Sony "won" the current console war? People say Sony "won" by having most third party developers? Everyone else won or lost something. just seems like it's a little bit painful that Nintendo won something in the most blatantly obvious way and suddenly it's not acceptable to say Nintendo "won" E3?

Symtex
May 15, 2006, 06:51 PM
Funny, a lot of people say Sony "won" the current console war? People say Sony "won" by having most third party developers? Everyone else won or lost something. just seems like it's a little bit painful that Nintendo won something in the most blatantly obvious way and suddenly it's not acceptable to say Nintendo "won" E3?

Because according to Nintendo Fanboy, They won every year. Remember last year when they had nothing to show but 5 mario game, nintendo and Zelda ? or the year before, they had a very pathetic showing but still the Nintendo Fan were roaring as the clear winner. It's hard to have an unbiased opinion.

Nonetheless, Nintendo did had a very good show this year.

NewSc2
May 15, 2006, 07:45 PM
so... conclusion from this thread?

1. some people will not buy the Wii
2. I will buy the Wii, as will pretty much everybody that I have talked to.

I've owned NES, SNES, N64, but was not very happy with the Nintendo 64 (all the action games were on PS), so I went and purchased an XBox. Halo's fun and all, but I feel myself coming back into the Nintendo fold (DS Lite, Wii)

AP_piano295
May 15, 2006, 08:25 PM
Ah yes, the wonderful cliques and castes of the American High School social structure. When you say such definitions like "goth", "nerdy", "jocks" with "normal people" you really exhume maturity. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry my social interactions don't limit themselves to 14-18 year olds, but I know lots of people who don't play video games for various reasons. One girl I know doesn't like them because she was never good at them, another girl doesn't play them because for some reason, they bore her (never understood that one), my grandparents loved Duck Hunt, but I don't see them figuring out the controls for Mortal Kombat. So, yes, I am well aware of the 21st century, "non-gamer".

As far as shooters on the Wii, check out videos of Metroid Prime 3. Just because one game (red steel - please learn how to spell as well) is bad, don't say the entire system is incapable of the genre.

What how does making distinctions between different social groups make me inmature? I'm not saying I dislike any of these people I'm friends with somebody from every imaginable group and I would say I qualify as slightly preppy, bit nerdy, politicaly active, and fairly normal and admitedly my terminology is a bit "saved by the bell" emo, computer person, sports fanatic, and just people, would have been terms more apropriate for 21st century world. I'm also not saying every person falls neatly into one of these groups I was just attempting to show general diversity by listing the different groups, (and yes there are groups hate to break it to you)

Duck hunt is still leaps and bounds less complex then the games I have seen for the Wii, and I dont think the new controls will inspire my parents or friends parents to pick up games. Sorry if my term "everyone plays games" bothers you, I would say the spirit of my post if not my actual wording implied that I was talking about a specific demographic 14-18 year olds though I know quite a few collage students and most all of them play atleas some games so I would say that my demographic would range well above 18 in that case. Basically the people who I know who dont play video games are for the most part 35 and up and I dont think the Wii is going to pull them in.

As for shooters the only videos of metroid i've seen are comercial type things, and i dont consider that to be a true gameplay demo. Feel free to post a link.

And to follow up on the original idea of this post I have actually been hearing some intrest in the Wii at school today, from people who normally dont talk about games.

2nyRiggz
May 15, 2006, 08:30 PM
(red steel - please learn how to spell as well)

Maybe you should take a rest and dont get so hot and bothered over a game ...wow

Bless

Mavimao
May 15, 2006, 10:30 PM
What how does making distinctions between different social groups make me inmature? [...] (and yes there are groups hate to break it to you)

Simply put: the terms "nerds", "jocks", "goths", "emo" etc make my eyes roll. Call it an age thing, but after High School these terms have less and less meaning to the point that they become irritable.

Duck hunt is still leaps and bounds less complex then the games I have seen for the Wii, and I dont think the new controls will inspire my parents or friends parents to pick up games. [...] Basically the people who I know who dont play video games are for the most part 35 and up and I dont think the Wii is going to pull them in.

I don't see my parents ever buying a Wii, but I can see them playing with one. That's the difference. And you do have a point about the complexity of certain titles.

As for shooters the only videos of metroid i've seen are comercial type things, and i dont consider that to be a true gameplay demo. Feel free to post a link.

http://wii.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3141680

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/3718

ah aah ah...CHOO!

Bless

Thanks.

Abulia
May 16, 2006, 12:31 PM
Funny, a lot of people say Sony "won" the current console war?I think there's a world of difference between citing solid sales numbers and empirical evidence (Sony's selling over 100 million PS2s) than the opinion of a self-confessed die-hard fan who runs a Nintendo-oriented website and stood in some long lines at E3.

Props for at least not even trying to remain objective are in order, I suppose. :)

And yes, I think Nintendo had a very good showing this year.

AP_piano295
May 16, 2006, 05:45 PM
Simply put: the terms "nerds", "jocks", "goths", "emo" etc make my eyes roll. Call it an age thing, but after High School these terms have less and less meaning to the point that they become irritable.

I don't see my parents ever buying a Wii, but I can see them playing with one. That's the difference. And you do have a point about the complexity of certain titles.

http://wii.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3141680

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/3718

ah aah ah...CHOO!

Thanks.

I agree the terms do mean less and less as you pass out of high school and people start growing up. Whats the ah aah ah... CHOO about?

Mavimao
May 16, 2006, 06:01 PM
Whats the ah aah ah... CHOO about?

Just poking a little fun at someone's signature.... ;)

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:01 PM
Because according to Nintendo Fanboy, They won every year. Remember last year when they had nothing to show but 5 mario game, nintendo and Zelda ? or the year before, they had a very pathetic showing but still the Nintendo Fan were roaring as the clear winner. It's hard to have an unbiased opinion.

Nah. It's true every year that Nintendo has ridiculously long lines from fanboys, but they usually don't 'win' (in terms of hype and excitement), and most of us know that (except the diehards). Last year, G4TV declared Sony the 'winner' because of all the hype they stirred up. In fact, all they did was show off Twilight Princess, show a box and say "This is the Revolution, it plays old games, we'll tell you more later", and show a lot of cool DS games. This year CNN, Reuters, the Inquirer, and multiple other sites have all declared Nintendo the winner. Last year it was Sony.

Nintendo is not the usual E3 winner.
This year, they were the clear winner.

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:13 PM
I think there's a world of difference between citing solid sales numbers and empirical evidence (Sony's selling over 100 million PS2s) than the opinion of a self-confessed die-hard fan who runs a Nintendo-oriented website and stood in some long lines at E3.

Props for at least not even trying to remain objective are in order, I suppose. :)

And yes, I think Nintendo had a very good showing this year.

Sony obviously won the console war. As for winning E3; try Reuters (http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2006-05-11T233939Z_01_N11375022_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESSPRO-EXPO-NINTENDO-WII-DC.XML), BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4767807.stm), G4TV, TG Daily (http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/11/nintendo_steals_thunder_at_e3/), Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/11/AR2006051101613.html), etc.

And Ad Hominem fallacies don't suit you.

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 02:15 PM
Shh, don't say that! There was never a competition. You know, thats only applicable in places the anti-Nintendo crew want to apply it to. I've heard many a time about "Sony won with the best controller" and "Microsoft won with online" won won won. its everywhere. They won this. They had more queues and more media coverage than anyone else. One of my dads final jobs before retiring was to direct The Guardian groups reporters and sort out them for E3. The media were told to watch out for Nintendo. And they were right.

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:27 PM
Shh, don't say that! There was never a competition. You know, thats only applicable in places the anti-Nintendo crew want to apply it to. I've heard many a time about "Sony won with the best controller" and "Microsoft won with online" won won won. its everywhere. They won this. They had more queues and more media coverage than anyone else. One of my dads final jobs before retiring was to direct The Guardian groups reporters and sort out them for E3. The media were told to watch out for Nintendo. And they were right.

Well I use Won in the sense G4 used it last year (they actually declared a winner, Sony); who had the most hype, excitement, and attention.

This year, Nintendo got the most media attention, had the longest lines and the most excitement. This should be obvious from the crowds, the articles above, the sheer amount of cameras I saw in there (I actually stood next to the Reuters guys), and the sheer amount of forum threads on it. Thus, they won- the entire point of E3 is to get media/industry/retailer attention to your new products. Thus, the winner is the one who gets the most positive attention.

That's why Nintendo had these annoying VIPs (retailer guys) that had badges that allowed them to cut lines, shove you aside, and take your controller and take their turn :mad:

GFLPraxis
May 17, 2006, 02:51 PM
Oh, as to the 'greatest vid ever'; I'm a bit biased in that, because I waited through that line, and I really wanted some way to give people I know an idea of how long it was and where I was when I mention it, so I was very happy when the vid surfaced

Pistol Pete
May 17, 2006, 03:57 PM
Its a good thing they don't have jobs they needed to go to. Did they stay in line for days.If nintendo is that popular how come the gamecube didn't sell better.

haha always a hater, anyways nice vid and thanks

yellow
May 17, 2006, 04:06 PM
Someone probably already mentioned this, but..

I'm wondering what the average age of the 1500-2000 people standing in line for the Wii was.

Haoshiro
May 17, 2006, 04:19 PM
Duh, 12, Nintendo is for kids. </sarcasm>

yellow
May 17, 2006, 04:23 PM
Why can't I be curious about that?

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 05:09 PM
Good question. Though definitely over 18, no under 18's allowed at E3, I believe. I think Speilberg and Shigsy bump that age up somewhat :D those guys must be 120.

cycocelica
May 17, 2006, 07:56 PM
A little late but none the less, I know the kid who made and owns nintendoplayers.com. He live in my neighborhood and goes to my university.

Oh and can't wait for the Wii! Definitely going to be a great system.

Nar1117
May 17, 2006, 07:57 PM
Personally, im surprised that this thread got to this point.

I stated my reasons earlier, a lot earlier, but its all moot now...

You cant win E3. Its not a prize.

If you like Wii, Buy it.

If you dont, dont buy it.

Its quite simple really.

Dagless
May 17, 2006, 08:10 PM
Personally, im surprised that this thread got to this point.

I stated my reasons earlier, a lot earlier, but its all moot now...

You cant win E3. Its not a prize.

If you like Wii, Buy it.

If you dont, dont buy it.

Its quite simple really.

So I suppose Sony didn't win the console war as there was no competition. Ok. I suppose neither N64 or Playstation won.

Course E3 is a prize. Any achievement in a limited time is a prize. It wasn't official however, but it doesn't change squat.

Counterfit
May 17, 2006, 08:19 PM

You're one to talk about being unbiased. :rolleyes:

And I think crachoar's question's are completely legitimate and not unwarranted.

OutThere
May 17, 2006, 10:26 PM

Fine. Things change after high school. However, in high school there are defined groups of people, deny it or not. You can change the terms for them..."people who like computers", "sports people", "people who dress in black", etc, but there are still groups of people who fit those descriptions. They sound meaningless, but they're the high school equivalent of groups we find in society today...white collar workers, blue collar workers, hicks, urban ghetto-types, immigrants. All of that.

High school is a strange, shrunken down, distorted and miniaturized society, but it still follows the same basic principles as the rest of the world...people tend to pair of with people who they have something in common with, and then everyone else applies a term to describe them.

As to the "Wii", there's some good and some bad.

It's good to see innovation in the video game world, but I don't really see the Wii going anywhere. Despite what anyone says, Mario games occupy a tiny niche compared to Halo, GTA and Madden empires. Mario is just geared towards younger audiences, and doesn't fill the same hole as any of those other games do. People like it, and it's a lot of fun, but it's a different market.

As to 'Wii Sports': that game looks like it'd be fun for about 10 minutes. Once the novelty of trying to hit the ball with your Wiimote wears off, there's nowhere to go. That has always been the problem of those rolled-into-one sports games.

The appeal of Madden, FIFA, and NHL games is the simulation...where you can start your own dynasty build teams, trade players see how seasons and players and teams turn out. Half the fun (for me) of playing NHL '06 on my XBox is trading players, building lines and playing out the seasons.

Dagless
May 18, 2006, 06:21 AM
As to 'Wii Sports': that game looks like it'd be fun for about 10 minutes. Once the novelty of trying to hit the ball with your Wiimote wears off, there's nowhere to go. That has always been the problem of those rolled-into-one sports games.

I dunno. I can imagine people playing Wii Sports on their own and saying "It's crap". And people playing it with family and friends hailing it as the greatest sports game ever. Opinion is really going to be divided over this one. My guess? This is the next Duck Hunt.

.Andy
May 18, 2006, 07:34 AM
I dunno. I can imagine people playing Wii Sports on their own and saying "It's crap". And people playing it with family and friends hailing it as the greatest sports game ever. Opinion is really going to be divided over this one. My guess? This is the next Duck Hunt.

I can't wait for this game for those very reasons. I'm also looking forward to rigging up a way to attach the controller to a real putter (patent-pending) for some awesome loungeroom simulation :p! I've tried playing Tiger Woods on the PS2 with my mates but they still suck and have to re-learn the controls everytime they come over (once every few weeks or so). A golf (tennis/baseball) game like this seems to be just the ticket for a bloody good time :D!

I'm also looking forward to my copy of New Super Mario Brothers to arrive. Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to demolish that game like there's no tomorrow! At 28 I must be that younger audience OutThere is talking about.....:confused:

takao
May 18, 2006, 08:10 AM

well it's the same with mario party .. playing alone = boring ... multiplayer = instant fun
just like battlefield 1942 or every other fighting/sports game ever created

except fifa 06 which neither is a simulation or fun ... just arcady rubbish with sluggish controls and better graphics than the year before ;)

2nyRiggz
May 18, 2006, 12:30 PM
Wii sport won't be fun on your own....its for more than one human/dog/cat/rat. Now duck hunt might be a different story cuz that thing was excellent solo.

People standing in that line seem to be between the age of 18 and up....everyone is interested in something new...lets hope it doesnt wear thin.

Bless

Counterfit
May 18, 2006, 12:48 PM
My guess? This is the next Duck Hunt.
They'd need to put in a stupid dog that laughs at you when you miss. :D