PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Retard Pack Completely Unupgradeable - No Wireless Controllers

greatdevourer
May 14, 2006, 03:03 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513133719562032&sectionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

And people thought the 360 Retard Pack just not coming with an HDD or wireless controller...

JRM PowerPod
May 14, 2006, 03:13 AM
Then don't buy it. Pay the extra few bucks for the premium pack. Did people seriously expect to get the same deal as the premium pack but for cheaper. Of course its not going to have all the same stuff. Thats why its cheaper.... Its a choice for those you dont need wireless controllers and chrome lettering.

neocell
May 14, 2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah, but it's kind of silly not to have HDMI out when it has a BluRay drive. How are you supposed to get it to the HDTV?
Or does it even have BluRay :confused:

BlizzardBomb
May 14, 2006, 03:40 AM
So wait, your going to have one of the most powerful consoles yet, but on the low-end you can't even use HD? And then no wireless? Isn't Sony shooting themselves in foot?

ReanimationLP
May 14, 2006, 04:13 AM
I LOVE how MS and Sony cant afford the chrome paint on their lower-end models, though I guess it also works for MS to distingush them, but Sony should be able to distingush the two from the lack of the HDMI and card slots.

Thats gay about the Bluetooth ripped out of it, same for the WiFi. They really, really, crippled the 500 dollar model.

I'm willing to bet that for every 1000 600 dollar models they make, they'll make 3 500 dollar ones. Whos with me?

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 04:58 AM
FONY P$3 Only $499 get's you errrr nothing more than an undoubtably reduced for the holiday season $359 Xbox 360 Premium.....

FONY are really crapping on its consumers and they need to learn that you DONT BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU.

Hardly any games this generation will require BluRay capacity, so your paying for a device that you dont need, especially then when you cant even watch HD movies on it....

There's a comedy sketch show in the UK called 'The Catherine Tate Show' wherein a couple of characters have a rather dept catchprase that seems perfectly useable in FONY's case... "The Dirty Robbing Bastar*s"....

takao
May 14, 2006, 05:00 AM
that must be wrong information.. it would absolutely ridiculous to shell out 499 and then you can't even use wireless controller with the thing ?

i haven't read it elsewhere but this would be crippling the 499 version even more

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 05:28 AM
that must be wrong information.. it would absolutely ridiculous to shell out 499 and then you can't even use wireless controller with the thing ?

i haven't read it elsewhere but this would be crippling the 499 version even more

Thats more than likely why there is still 4 usb ports on the 499 version, to accommodate the controllers.

At least with M$ if you bought the core you could always buy wireless pad.

harveypooka
May 14, 2006, 06:04 AM
Add this to the mess and you've got a very confused Sony.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31681

takao
May 14, 2006, 06:12 AM
Thats more than likely why there is still 4 usb ports on the 499 version, to accommodate the controllers.

At least with M$ if you bought the core you could always buy wireless pad.

yeah that's what i thought.. wit hthe 360 core package you can at least get a hd later, wireless controllers later but if it's true you can only upgrade the HD on the ps3 lower modell and you're stuck without the rest

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 06:15 AM
Sounds like the past few weeks/months have been bad for Sony. Ubisoft and Hideo Kojima saying they're near to jumping ship, this backlash with the entire controller fiasco, the crippling "core" PS3 package.

I remember somebody on here once saying about Sony "the only way for them is down". looks like he/she was right.

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 06:18 AM

Hahahaha. just hahahha.

.Andy
May 14, 2006, 06:49 AM
Is anyone at all coordinating the efforts at Sony any more? There was a time that I loved everything Sony and associated the brand with quality :(. It seems more and more like the PS3 was thrown together with gaming as the last priority.

But I suppose it's best not to forget the massive market lead Sony has - they got there for a reason and no doubt they can exercise that dominance to make the PS3 successful.

Benjamindaines
May 14, 2006, 07:06 AM
This whole BlueTooth thing... can't you just buy the D-Link USB adapter, plug it into a USB port and bam you now have BT.

paddy
May 14, 2006, 07:08 AM
Then don't buy it. Pay the extra few bucks for the premium pack. Did people seriously expect to get the same deal as the premium pack but for cheaper. Of course its not going to have all the same stuff. Thats why its cheaper.... Its a choice for those you dont need wireless controllers and chrome lettering.

No of course people don't expect to get the same deal but the ability to upgrade should be an option. Its not the lack of wireless controllers thats bothering people its the lack of HDMI outand no wi-fi among other things. Seriously WTF?? My 129 DS has wi-fi!

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 07:18 AM
No of course people don't expect to get the same deal but the ability to upgrade should be an option. Its not the lack of wireless controllers thats bothering people its the lack of HDMI outand no wi-fi among other things. Seriously WTF?? My 129 DS has wi-fi!

Not only that, you can pick up bluetooth dongles in shops for 9.99, less at markets! A mate got one from just buying a 64mb USB flashdrive for a tenner.

you know. I really pity those who will inevitably buy the core PS3 package. I mean in an I'll-pray-for-you kind of way :(

takao
May 14, 2006, 07:21 AM
This whole BlueTooth thing... can't you just buy the D-Link USB adapter, plug it into a USB port and bam you now have BT.

if the ps3 supports random pc bluetooth adopters .. which i doubt

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 07:54 AM
if the ps3 supports random pc bluetooth adopters .. which i doubt

Not a chance, just like the 360 doesnt support 3rd party wireless usb dongles.

coffey7
May 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
what if there is a shortage and the prices are over $1000.Little billys mom will just buy a x360 for him at christmas time.I think it looks fine. I'm getting the higher end model. I just hope I can find one before 2007.

Mavimao
May 14, 2006, 09:16 AM
Sony's incompetence is utterly shocking. The same company that managed to completely annihilate Sega, and shove Nintendo into a niche market has the audacity to make people pay 500 dollars for a version of their new console that is completely crippled to the point that it is un-upgradeable.

I keep shaking my head.

I think Sony's about to learn a very, very hard lesson: Your name brand doesn't mean **** in the end - You're just as receptive to changes in the market like everyone else.

greatdevourer
May 14, 2006, 09:22 AM
Then don't buy it. Pay the extra few bucks for the premium pack. Did people seriously expect to get the same deal as the premium pack but for cheaper. Of course its not going to have all the same stuff. Thats why its cheaper.... Its a choice for those you dont need wireless controllers and chrome lettering. A few bucks?!?! It's $100!

DavidLeblond
May 14, 2006, 09:23 AM

... so GT was playing on a dev box? Thats not surprising, the Wii demos were all playing on dev boxes as well.

Dagless
May 14, 2006, 09:43 AM
... so GT was playing on a dev box? Thats not surprising, the Wii demos were all playing on dev boxes as well.

... They were? The demo stations showed Wii's, all turned on too. at least looking at the photos from the demo floor.

harveypooka
May 14, 2006, 09:45 AM

Hmm, I didn't hear that the Wii's were too. I think the problem with Sony doing it is the serious lack of developer optimism regarding the PS3. Nintendo are really trying for something great - I love the built in speaker in the remote! So yeah, we'll have to wait and see but the new 6 months are going to be crazy!

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 10:36 AM

I doubt it has drivers for that.

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah, but it's kind of silly not to have HDMI out when it has a BluRay drive. How are you supposed to get it to the HDTV?
Or does it even have BluRay :confused:

Use component. It doesn't have HDMI, but it does have component, so it can still do HD.

If Sony had included wireless and memory stick slots in the base model I would have been more interested. Sony killed all interest I had.

Nintendo is the only one with wireless in their cheapest system, lol.

Also, remember, Blu-ray is going to be using DRMs like HDCP. This uses protected HDMI ports connected to protected TV's to prevent anyone from copying the signal- if you use a Blu-ray disk that has some sort of "DRM = on" attribute, it'll downscale to 540p because the company who made the disk is afraid you might copy it using component, and it'll barely look better than SD. So if HDCP takes off...this'll really suck for PS3 adopters (and Blu-ray adopters who don't have TVs with HDCP).

MacRumorUser
May 14, 2006, 10:56 AM
Yep bluetooth and wifi and memcard reader (sd) built into the wii and it will be less than half the price of the core ps3 with none....

Sutekidane
May 14, 2006, 11:00 AM
This is LAME! It's already overpriced as is, and now you don't get half the features.

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 11:32 AM
Ok now i'm going to jump in: Sony better get it together and fix the core console real fast because the way its shaping up don't look good. I wanted a core package but i'm done with that now.

I know i wont pay $500 for a half arsed console....dont care who made it.

The same company that managed to completely annihilate Sega, and shove Nintendo into a niche market has the audacity to make people pay 500 dollars for a version of their new console that is completely crippled to the point that it is un-upgradeable.

I garantee people will still buy this core console....

Bless

zap2
May 14, 2006, 11:36 AM
The same company that managed to completely annihilate Sega, and shove Nintendo into a niche market has the audacity to make people pay 500 dollars for a version of their new console that is completely crippled to the point that it is un-upgradeable.

I garantee people will still buy this core console....

Bless

Yes parents of kids who want a PS3 and know nothing about Blue Ray and the works. No one who knows anything about the PS3 blue ray and High Def would buy a Core PS3

DISCOMUNICATION
May 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
My main complaint is they changed the controller back, but they still use the Spider-man movie font for the logo:rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 12:05 PM
The world's reaction to the PS3:

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/T2_PS3.gif

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 12:28 PM
That was funny....arnuld look like he wants to terminate the screen..lol

Bless

AppleinJapan
May 16, 2006, 02:42 AM
Who has a HD TV any way ???

Ive looked at buying one and they are just too expensive right now !!!

So you buy a PS3 at what $599 and then shell out another what $1 500 on a 30 inch Plasma/LCD HD TV....

Ok..When you see HD Tv on a 30 inch or more unit then there's no going back to a 17 inch monitor...im looking at 42 inch or more (beautiful)

MacRumorUser
May 16, 2006, 03:46 AM
Who has a HD TV any way ???

Ive looked at buying one and they are just too expensive right now !!!

So you buy a PS3 at what $599 and then shell out another what $1 500 on a 30 inch Plasma/LCD HD TV....

Ok..When you see HD Tv on a 30 inch or more unit then there's no going back to a 17 inch monitor...im looking at 42 inch or more (beautiful)

The point being, like a hell of a lot of consoles are in the bedrooms of kids hooked up to 14-21" crt TV's - this is where the majority of these new HD consoles will end up and Mommy & Daddy are not going to go out and buy junior a HD-TV for the bedroom unless they have a huge amount of dispensable income.

zv470
May 16, 2006, 03:50 AM

I like your sarcasm :D

2nyRiggz
May 16, 2006, 12:33 PM
This is not true....All models of the PS3 comes with wireless controls....check the playstation site....i just went over there and it does say it will have bluetooth and wireless.

Bless

SC68Cal
May 17, 2006, 02:04 AM
] Mommy & Daddy are not going to go out and buy junior a HD-TV for the bedroom unless they have a huge amount of dispensable income.

Are these the same people that paid like $800 for the Xbox360 on Ebay? I can see little johnny getting an HDTV for his new fantastikal gaming box.

ReanimationLP
May 17, 2006, 02:16 AM
The world's reaction to the PS3:

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/T2_PS3.gif

That was me and my friends reaction as we watched the conference via the webcast. o.o'

MacRumorUser
May 17, 2006, 04:49 AM
Are these the same people that paid like $800 for the Xbox360 on Ebay? I can see little johnny getting an HDTV for his new fantastikal gaming box.

I dont think these WERE the people who bought the 360 for $800

I think the vast majoritiy of 360 owners fall into the 18-30 age range - microsoft have already shown this with their own reasearch and info gained off us from LIVE.

These are the same people who are willing to spend money on ebay as they have a larger disposable income, theyre also the mongs who will queue up for 48 hours outside a store in order to get a launch console :rolleyes:

Yes Sony will sell out at christmas and I think the majority of the owners will fall into this catagory.