PDA

View Full Version : WoW on OSX and WinXP

harveypooka
May 14, 2006, 05:28 AM
I just installed WoW on WinXP on my iMac 20" 2ghz CD with 1.5GB RAM. All settings on high (including 24 bit 6x sample) and I get average 40fps (with a max of 60) in Ironforge. In OSX with all settings on low (terrain distance etc) and some on mid (spell detail) with 24 bit 1x sample I get from 19fps to 26fps. If the server is busy, it drops quite drastically to 10 or 14fps. I still need to do some extensive testing - in Battlegrounds and other densely populated areas, but will post some screenshots soon. That's pretty damning either for Blizzard or Apple, or both. Why are we paying over the odds for sub standard performance? I love using my Mac, interface etc etc but for things like raw performance it lags behind. The only way to compare is to run apps like this; be the problem with the game designers or Apple. It's the PC geeks Apple need to win over and they will not do this when you get treble the performance on a PC.

NewSc2
May 15, 2006, 07:34 PM
uhh.. you don't buy a mac for gaming? at least Blizzard cares enough to make their games on OSX.

Regardless, I get about 10-14 fps with my PC during high traffic times, it's pretty common. (P4 2.2ghz, ATI9800, 128mb VRAM, 1GB DDR PC2700 ram)

Nermal
May 15, 2006, 07:44 PM
In OSX with all settings on low (terrain distance etc) and some on mid (spell detail) with 24 bit 1x sample I get from 19fps to 26fps.

There's something really wrong there. I have most of my settings on high (some on medium though) and get 25-30. With everything on low, I get around 60-80. Move your WDB, WTF and Interface folders out of your WoW folder and relaunch the game, and see what sort of performance you get.

On another note, I believe that when Blizz showed Burning Crusade at E3, it was running on OS X :D

Thidranki
May 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
I play on my old PB (stats in the sig) and I get exactly those frame rates. Usually its around 28-32, and comparing it to the intel, its starting to sound pretty good. Does anyone have any FPS benchmarks for the Macbook Pros?

harveypooka
May 16, 2006, 12:55 PM
God forbid we talk about gaming and Mac's! Yes, I am a bit disappointed with the performance...ok, I'll move those folders out and give it a try.
After a bit more testing I get 25-35 in most areas on Mid to High on XP, I wouldn't dare put them that high on OSX, but I'll give it a go.
To be honest, BootCamp seems to have brought up a few issues for Apple but I'm quite excited to see what they're going to change. The year should be ace!

Ayre
May 16, 2006, 08:24 PM
I was looking for a thread like this! Great news:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=307

They mention that the OS X team at Blizzard were disappointed that WoW ran better under Boot Camp than it did under OS X, so they're adding some major framerate adjustments to the mac version when the new 1.11 patch comes out in June. Unfortuantely, Apple might not release the drivers until later, but increased performance IS coming for the future Mac version(s) of WoW.