PDA

View Full Version : cruel advertising

vniow
May 14, 2006, 12:45 PM
This ad is plastered all over the city, I thought it was kinda funny:

calculus
May 14, 2006, 12:56 PM
What definition of 'funny' are you using?

IanF0729
May 14, 2006, 12:58 PM
Okay, I think it's funny, at least.

mkrishnan
May 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
Very interesting...ads a whole new dimension on safe dating... :eek:

Deepdale
May 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
What definition of 'funny' are you using?

Finding humor in that ad is a stretch, although just about anything will resonate with a selected audience even when the words and imagery are offensive.

PlaceofDis
May 14, 2006, 01:04 PM
i find it amusing myself.

Moshiiii
May 14, 2006, 01:09 PM
I stab my dates with something other than a kabob stick :cool:

goodtimes5
May 14, 2006, 01:13 PM

Now that was funny.

calculus
May 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
I find it offensive. It would put me off eating there.

Deepdale
May 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
Perhaps the restaurant should have gone with this: "Now at least you can officially stick it to the person who delivers the check to your table."

I am sure men would view it differently if a knife were pictured along with these words: "Ladies, you are now free to castrate your date once you leave the premises."

Both are piercing and penetrating.

eva01
May 14, 2006, 01:30 PM
i find it amusing myself.

i find it amusing as well. hehehe

mkrishnan
May 14, 2006, 01:32 PM
I am sure men would view it differently if a knife were pictured along with these words: "Ladies, you are now free to castrate your date once you leave the premises."

Differently? How so? I think this is in bad taste, and I think *that* is in, if anything, even worse taste.

w_parietti22
May 14, 2006, 01:44 PM

isn't that the original joke? haha. ;)

Deepdale
May 14, 2006, 01:49 PM
Differently? How so? I think this is in bad taste, and I think *that* is in, if anything, even worse taste.

As do I ... just trying to point out how some men might find the perverse humor in the notion that the stick is intended for the woman, but when the tables are turned so might the opinion of such an ad (even an alternative one).

killuminati
May 14, 2006, 02:01 PM
Haha, that's funny. I don't see how you could find it offensive. It's a JOKE.

zap2
May 14, 2006, 02:10 PM

Thank you. its funny

calculus
May 14, 2006, 02:15 PM
Well you find it funny, I find it offensive. I am aware that is (meant to be) a joke - but that joke isn't funny...

killuminati
May 14, 2006, 02:16 PM
Well you find it funny, I find it offensive. I am aware that is (meant to be) a joke - but that joke isn't funny...

I was just curious how you find it offensive?

Chip NoVaMac
May 14, 2006, 02:23 PM

I see your point.

I am concerned that we are sending messages through advertising that somethings are just OK. Sort of like the "Free Sex" posters used in my HS to gain attention for class elections back in the 70's.

virividox
May 14, 2006, 02:29 PM
its typical shock tactic marketing

calculus
May 14, 2006, 02:30 PM
I was just curious how you find it offensive?
It's the message that violence is somehow OK. What do you find funny about it?

calculus
May 14, 2006, 02:31 PM
its typical shock tactic marketing
But not very good...

killuminati
May 14, 2006, 02:37 PM
It's the message that violence is somehow OK. What do you find funny about it?

It's joking that violence is OK. Nobody is actually gonna stab their date with it after a meal. I find it funny because it's just a funny thought of someone thinking that. I just think you're a little over sensitive.

calculus
May 14, 2006, 02:46 PM
It's joking that violence is OK. Nobody is actually gonna stab their date with it after a meal. I find it funny because it's just a funny thought of someone thinking that. I just think you're a little over sensitive.
I am aware that no-one is likely to stab their date after a meal but that is not the point. I don't see any irony in this advert at all - it's just poor. I don't think I am oversensitive - I think some people have a low humour threshold.

mkrishnan
May 14, 2006, 02:50 PM
I am aware that no-one is likely to stab their date after a meal but that is not the point. I don't see any irony in this advert at all - it's just poor. I don't think I am oversensitive - I think some people have a low humour threshold.

Actually, erm, look up "restaurant stabbing" on news.google.com some time. :(

But mostly I agree... I don't mind violent or graphic humor, but it has to actually be funny to me.... I have a low tolerance for non-funny, violent or graphic humor.

killuminati
May 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
Also, I don't think they tried to think of an ad that was laugh out loud funny, it's just supposed to give you a little chuckle. After seeing that ad so many times now I don't find it funny at all. It's just the first time I looked at it, it made me smile a bit.

calculus
May 14, 2006, 02:54 PM
Actually, erm, look up "restaurant stabbing" on news.google.com some time. :(

But mostly I agree... I don't mind violent or graphic humor, but it has to actually be funny to me.... I have a low tolerance for non-funny, violent or graphic humor.
Yes, you are of course right which makes this even less funny. What I was trying to say (in my clumsy way) was that I didn't expect that this ad would itself lead to violence. I'm intrigued by who regulates this stuff in the US - I don't think this ad would last long here in the UK.

xPismo
May 14, 2006, 03:20 PM
Sweet. I work near there. I'll have to check it out. I love kebabs. :)

calculus
May 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
Just make sure you don't get stabbed!

technicolor
May 14, 2006, 03:45 PM
People are easily worked up these days. They get offended at everything.

iBlue
May 14, 2006, 03:48 PM
it's funny if you've ever been on a bad date.

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 03:56 PM
Good advertising...sometimes i do feel like stabbing my date...wait what date:confused: ....:(

Bless

vniow
May 14, 2006, 03:59 PM

Here'as a review (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/07/07/FDG7L7GP351.DTL&type=food) of the place. Overall it doesn't look half bad, Prices are good too.

Just make sure you make a reservation for the weekend instead of a weekday. ;)

Stampyhead
May 14, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well, whatever people think of the ad, it had its desired effect and got people talking about it. I guess it's true what they say about there being no such thing as bad publicity...

cycocelica
May 15, 2006, 04:26 PM
I would eat there. The sign is funny and if anyone takes it seriously they really need to reconsider their life.

If something said that it was ok for women to castrate men and it clearly a joke (like this sign is), I would laugh too

cycocelica
May 15, 2006, 04:28 PM
But not very good...
You're offended by it right?

It shocked you, they win.

calculus
May 15, 2006, 04:49 PM
The sign is funny and if anyone takes it seriously they really need to reconsider their life.

Well that certainly made me laugh!

ExileinBlonde
May 15, 2006, 05:48 PM
AWESOME!! That's the best ad I've seen in a loooong time!! :D

kjr39
May 15, 2006, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one that took it to mean that I can 'stab' my date with something other than an empty metal poker?

Or has it just been awhile since I've gotten laid?

vniow
May 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
So either people started complaining, or they had a different one in circulation in addition to, but the same restauraunt has an ad with the same graphic, but it says "So good, you'll want to eat the stick." which is seemingly much more tame than the original slogan.

No pics unfortunately and I've only seen it once so maybe its the latter.

balamw
May 19, 2006, 02:42 PM
Am I the only one that took it to mean that I can 'stab' my date with something other than an empty metal poker?
I do think it would have been funnier if they had said "After dinner you can poke your date".

B

plinkoman
May 19, 2006, 03:08 PM
man, i can't believe some people are offended by that. it's a joke, find it funny or don't, but don't take every little thing in life so seriously.

Boggle
May 19, 2006, 03:28 PM
Not only would I eat there, I have the perfect girl to take. She makes lots of comments that are easily construed in humorous ways. Usually her response to my interpretations is a poke @ my ribs or a punch on the arm. She'll feel better equipped for revenge w/ a sharp kebab stick handy. Heck, it might even make me behave...not likely, but possible. This place is far away from DC, right?

amateurmacfreak
May 19, 2006, 04:26 PM
I don't fnd that offensive, and I find violent jokes SO often offensive.
That didn't bother me. I find it kind of witty.