Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentandkelley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
Afton, TN
My uncle recently gave me a 1999 Powerbook G3 333 Mhz. I think he said it had 700 mbs of memory but I'm not sure of that. I have a few questions about it: Can you upgrade a powerbook G3 from a 333 mhz to anything faster? If so where can you get a processor that will fit? Also how much RAM can you add to it total? And lastly can you add a fire wire port to it? It currently only has usb's. I am a little rusty on Macs because I haven't had one for 3 or 4 years but I would like to get back into them. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance for the help.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
im thinking about getting the processor upgrade for my 400mhz firewire" powerbook, but im not sure if i should go for the higher speed 800mhz G3 or the very little speed boost just to have a G4 what would be better worth my money?

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
thanx for your reply, the most i would ever use altivec is photoshop witch i use ince and a while for my highschool dig photo class, so i guess the 800 G3 would be better then.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
the model you have is called a lombard.

the max ram it can have is 512MB.

a 800mhz g3 will be faster than a 500mhz g4 in any process.

you can add firewire and 802.11b or 802.11g with the pc card slot.

you can also upgrade the harddrive to get a performance boost. newer drives are much faster and quieter. also considering ide hard drives only have life spans of 2-3 years and this machine is 4 years old a new drive may not be a bad idea.

you can find other things for your mac from the MCE guys (lots of really neat add ons for many mac products but most especially the lombard and pismo powerbooks) link

good luck with the computer. i just sold mine and miss the lil' gal. i still think the lombard and pismo powerbooks had a superior design for their time than any other apple notebook. ok so im not really impartial, but i think most would admit its a damn cool mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.