PDA

View Full Version : Wii controller buttons

Ja Di ksw
May 14, 2006, 09:14 PM
Can anyone who has played around with the Wii at E3 say how it's like to use the buttons? The A and B buttons seem very low on the controller. It looks like it will be awkward to hit the bottom buttom with your thumb. How easy is it to reach all the buttons?

2nyRiggz
May 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
I think those a,b buttons are for the classic games....d-pad on the other end and there you go.

Bless

Ja Di ksw
May 14, 2006, 09:32 PM
oh, I thought you still used them some, just not as much as motioning with the controller.

EDIT: On the Zelda video, on the side it shows the D-pad and what each direction does, then below that it has the A button which says "attack" under it, and the B button which has what looks like a sword under it. Under the A it changes a lot, "back", "hold", etc.

crachoar
May 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
There are two sets of 'A and B' buttons. I believe 'B' was the traditional 'Z Trigger' on the remote, and 'A' was behind the D-Pad.

They place them at the back of the controller too so that you can hold it sideways, NES-style.

steelphantom
May 14, 2006, 10:07 PM
http://wii.nintendo.com/controller.html

Basically, the two bottom buttons (renamed "1" and "2", respectively) will probably just be used when the controller is in its horizontal position. Games such as Excite Truck and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam utilize this control scheme. I doubt that they will be used when the controller is in its vertical position.

GFLPraxis
May 14, 2006, 11:39 PM
Can anyone who has played around with the Wii at E3 say how it's like to use the buttons? The A and B buttons seem very low on the controller. It looks like it will be awkward to hit the bottom buttom with your thumb. How easy is it to reach all the buttons?

The bottom buttons (now called 1 and 2 buttons) were not used in ANY of the demos, nor needed. You can reach them, but not very easily- I expect they will only be used to do stuff like bring up stats in online play or bring up a map and stuff like that that you only use once in a while.

The A and B buttons felt very, very good though.

Ja Di ksw
May 15, 2006, 12:32 AM
Ah, thank you to everyone who clarified.

Now if you can only give me a release date . . . . .

:D

Chaszmyr
May 15, 2006, 12:39 AM
Ah, thank you to everyone who clarified.

Now if you can only give me a release date . . . . .

For the Wii console? November

sam10685
May 15, 2006, 03:33 AM
For the Wii console? November

i've heard october.

MacRumorUser
May 15, 2006, 04:50 AM
OK stupid question time.

The sensor is on top of the remote yes! it can be seen clearly in the photos.

It aims at the sensor bar on the TV yes?

So if your controller is in the horizontal position and your hand is covering the sensor on the top how does it work? :confused: :confused:

.Andy
May 15, 2006, 05:03 AM
OK stupid question time.

So if your controller is in the horizontal position and your hand is covering the sensor on the top how does it work? :confused: :confused:
I don't think it works by IR when driving MacRumorUser - you can point it wherever you want. Triangulation with the sensorbar and bluetooth satisfies the needs of most applications - I'm not sure anyone has figured out exactly what the front window IR does.

The gaming community is in desperate need of a definitive article about the way the Wiimote works.

Chaszmyr
May 15, 2006, 06:32 AM
i've heard october.

It hasn't been finalized, but according to EB most of the wii games are supposed to be released on Nov 1 (there are a couple scheduled earlier than that, but it would be silly to release a console with only 2 games, and since those are in a minority i figure it's probably a mistake)

Haoshiro
May 15, 2006, 06:59 AM
OK stupid question time.

From what I understand that top sensor is only used for Pointer functionality (ala stylus/mouse) and requires the Sensor Bar to work.

The rest of the functionality (Tilt, Rotation, etc) does not use the controllers top sensor not the sensor bar.

Games like ExciteTruck and Sonic Wild Fire, for example, do not use the Pointer functionality; just the tilt detection.

MacRumorUser
May 15, 2006, 07:13 AM
From what I understand that top sensor is only used for Pointer functionality (ala stylus/mouse) and requires the Sensor Bar to work.

The rest of the functionality (Tilt, Rotation, etc) does not use the controllers top sensor not the sensor bar.

Games like ExciteTruck and Sonic Wild Fire, for example, do not use the Pointer functionality; just the tilt detection.

ok that makes sense. God i was being dumb :D

wwooden
May 15, 2006, 07:58 AM
The IR port might be used for DVD play-back, just like a regular remote. It uses much less battery power.

Sharewaredemon
May 15, 2006, 08:52 AM
My friend told me he read on a forum somewhere that they should call the remote the Wii Nintendo Entertainment Remote.

WiiNER.

haha.

Sorry, that is WAY OT but I thought you guys might enjoy that.

mrgreen4242
May 15, 2006, 09:14 AM
The bottom buttons (now called 1 and 2 buttons) were not used in ANY of the demos, nor needed. You can reach them, but not very easily- I expect they will only be used to do stuff like bring up stats in online play or bring up a map and stuff like that that you only use once in a while.

The A and B buttons felt very, very good though.

Praxis, could you comment if the B button (that's the trigger button, right?) is an analog trigger? The GCN controllers shoulder trigger buttons feel so nice, to me, I'm hoping for something similar on the Wii.

sam10685
May 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
but it would be silly to release a console with only 2 games

it's been done before. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64)

Chaszmyr
May 15, 2006, 12:50 PM
it's been done before. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64)

N64 launched with more than 2 titles...

Dagless
May 15, 2006, 01:25 PM
Yep. It did. I didn't get an N64 at launch but my cousin did. along with a load of games.