PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Video File Size for Play on the 5G's?

exhibitionist
May 14, 2006, 10:35 PM
I've been ripping DVD's to my 5G iPod in 640kbps(V)/128kbps(A) H.264. Smaller videos, like the 120MB episodes of Family Guy, play just fine. However, larger videos, like this 580MB copy of American Psycho, don't play at all. I'll select it from the playlist, the screen will go black with the play symbol in the upper left. Then, the play symbol disappears, and it will stay black. After about 20 seconds, my iPod goes back to the playlist menu. I know the rip is good, because it plays in iTunes just fine. Is the file size too large for the iPod to handle? The Family Guy movie, which is 494MB, plays just fine. Is 500MB the limit?

NicP
May 15, 2006, 01:37 AM
I've been ripping DVD's to my 5G iPod in 640kbps(V)/128kbps(A) H.264. Smaller videos, like the 120MB episodes of Family Guy, play just fine. However, larger videos, like this 580MB copy of American Psycho, don't play at all. I'll select it from the playlist, the screen will go black with the play symbol in the upper left. Then, the play symbol disappears, and it will stay black. After about 20 seconds, my iPod goes back to the playlist menu. I know the rip is good, because it plays in iTunes just fine. Is the file size too large for the iPod to handle? The Family Guy movie, which is 494MB, plays just fine. Is 500MB the limit?

Its not the size of the file, its the bitrate and/or the resolution. Look at the specs on apples ipod page, it tells you the maximum bitrate and resolution the ipod supports, go over either of those limitations and it wont play.