PDA

View Full Version : iPod transfers legalised in Australia.

MacBytes
May 14, 2006, 11:23 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iPod transfers legalised in Australia. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060515002318)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

.Andy
May 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm interested in what this means for the copy-protected CDs that plague us here in Aus. Hopefully there'll be enough of a consumer push against them at retail for the companies to stop trying to push them on us.

kretzy
May 14, 2006, 11:36 PM
About time! Not that I even have an iPod. All laws here pertaining to technology need major upgrading so this is at least a step in the right direction.

winmacguy
May 14, 2006, 11:45 PM
Not like most of us havn't been doing that since video recorders first came out...:rolleyes:

c-Row
May 15, 2006, 12:49 AM
The new laws have been welcomed by the Australian Recording Industry Association, which said new enforcement powers would help stop piracy, while still being flexible enough to let people make a personal copy of material.

Wow! :eek: Never thought I would hear something like this coming from that direction. Must be a cold day in hell again.

mad jew
May 15, 2006, 12:57 AM
Sweet! I can finally use my iPod for more than just it's Address Book syncing abilities. :cool:

Shamus
May 15, 2006, 01:01 AM
Oh, I thought you could do that legally already anyway :p. The music laws here are ridiculous, but it is good to see some changes being made.

kretzy
May 15, 2006, 01:02 AM
Sweet! I can finally use my iPod for more than just it's Address Book syncing abilities. :cool:
Oh, what else do they do exactly? :confused:

c-Row
May 15, 2006, 01:10 AM
Oh, what else do they do exactly? :confused:

They can.... hold NOTES! :eek:

[add] Hey, not a newbie anymore :D

mad jew
May 15, 2006, 01:16 AM
Contacts and calendars, that's what mine's been used for 'til now. I haven't needed the earbuds so I'll have to go and find where I've stored them now. I'm so glad we can finally put commercial music on these things. :cool:

winmacguy
May 15, 2006, 02:49 AM
They can.... hold NOTES! :eek:

[add] Hey, not a newbie anymore :D
You must have given the right quota of postings to make the grade. ;)

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 08:19 AM
So the law down under prevented you from using your own music away from the original CD? Who made that law up, Sony?

Glad to see that normality has seen the light of day there though.

Chundles
May 15, 2006, 09:15 AM
So the law down under prevented you from using your own music away from the original CD? Who made that law up, Sony?

Glad to see that normality has seen the light of day there though.

Yup, up until now it was illegal to:

- make a copy of a CD
- format shift a CD
- tape a TV show
- record from the radio
- look sideways at a record industry big wig.

About fuggen time guys!! Now all you need to do is make real broadband available to everyone so we can get our iTMS songs at a reasonable speed.

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 12:08 PM
How could this technology have been sold in any way then. Wasn't the iPod launched before the Australian iTMS, making any playback of music on it illegal? If blank video cassettes were sold for VCRs too, it must have been very grey. "Yeah, I'm just buying this 10 pack for my 12 year old VHS camcorder."

How did this all work before the law was changed?

kozmic stu
May 15, 2006, 12:45 PM

Just in case you were being serious... the fact that something is law doesn't mean it'll be enforced. It's illegal for women to eat chocolate on the London Underground but no one cares. Australians simply break that particular law and put stuff on their iPod/VHS etc... I'm sorry it had to be spelled out for you, but there it is.

Stu

P.S. Hey it's not like breaking the law is a new thing to the Aussies... :D

steve_hill4
May 15, 2006, 01:38 PM
But if there was no legal way to put music onto an iPod, how could they have been sold legally? How could Apple have marketed them as portable music players if technically transferring music to them was illegal?

Eating chocolate on the tube may be illegal, but it's not like it would be against the law to eat it elsewhere. It's an unfair comparison, even if I see the point you were trying to make.

winmacguy
May 15, 2006, 03:43 PM
Yup, up until now it was illegal to:

- make a copy of a CD
- format shift a CD
- tape a TV show
- record from the radio
- look sideways at a record industry big wig.

About fuggen time guys!! Now all you need to do is make real broadband available to everyone so we can get our iTMS songs at a reasonable speed.
You guys need to unbundle Telstra...;)

winmacguy
May 15, 2006, 03:48 PM
How could this technology have been sold in any way then. Wasn't the iPod launched before the Australian iTMS, making any playback of music on it illegal? If blank video cassettes were sold for VCRs too, it must have been very grey. "Yeah, I'm just buying this 10 pack for my 12 year old VHS camcorder."

The same law applies in New Zealand. It is illegal to format shift or copy/record TV shows onto video or record radio shows etc. Nobody takes any notice of the law although we still don't have iTMS in NZ - but we can still use the 'backdoor' into the aussie iTMS I think.